Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole!
- When you discover that writing a story in your diary allows you to relive the previous day… Will you and your twin sibling fix the plot holes you create? Or will you write your own happy ending?
Previously titled “The Inter-Literary Adventures of a Fifth Grader”
Hi hi hello hiii!
This story was my first NaNoWriMo novel back in 2015. It has changed a lot since then. I never finished it, so I wanted to rewrite it as a CYOA instead.
Here's the original story "blurb":
Wayne and Roselyna’s only wish for their eighth birthday is a bowl of ice cream. And for their parents to come back.
Having grown close to them, their seventeen-year-old cousin Patrick decides to keep them away when he learns that their parents are going back to get them. He unknowingly creates a literal plot hole by doing so—a portal that sends them to different story worlds full of fantasy and the dangers of fractured fiction.
Wayne and Roselyna think it’s the best thing ever, but it’s a babysitting job Patrick didn’t ask for. But when they get separated and captured by the inter-literary police, finding their way home—or their parents—might not end in a happily ever after. But extra lives are a thing, right?
The basic premise of the story is: You play as a ten-year-old who writes a fantasy story in your diary about yourself and your twin sibling. The next day, you realize that you are now reliving the previous day according to how you wrote the story. But what happens if your twin also starts writing their own story? Will you agree to fix the plot holes together? Or will you be the cause of them?
The story mostly has a lighthearted and whimsical tone (with a light sprinkling of spooky and dark stuff here and there). It will have a large focus on character development and is going to be fairly linear but choice heavy with lots of narrative variation.
- Play as a ten-year-old together with your opposite sex twin sibling and go on adventures in different story worlds.
- Keep track of your character’s thoughts and choices, as well as your current “party members” with the dynamic RPG-inspired stats screen, backpack, phone and a comprehensive personal diary.
- Select a dream job from a wide selection as your character’s “class”.
- Have crushes on your classmates (or those you meet in your adventures), make your friends fall for each other (or for your twin!), or stay oblivious to puppy love. (Don’t worry, they’ll have lots of character development. Hopefully. Hehe.)
- Lots and lots of flavor text that changes according to your character’s personality and appearance.
- Collect trinkets and magical items and fight legendary creatures such as the Big Bad Wolf, Medusa, and of course, giant robots!
- Complete sidequests: Help out dwarves and halflings in a civil war, or join a pickpocket gang in a sunken post-apocalyptic city.
- Solve the mystery of your parents’ secrets while trying to keep your grades high!
- Musical Scenes!
- Unlock commentary and other bonus features (including New Story+) after completing the game once.
This section contains a summary of the important (not all) settings and characters in the story. For more information, you can view each character’s page in the relationships menu. This will be updated as the story progresses.
The Normal World
This is where your story begins. But will it end here as well?
- Theo and Maggie: Your 34-year-old parents. They left you and your twin sibling to work abroad. They rarely communicate with you nowadays and they haven’t even visited you once despite their promises.
- Aunt Julie and Uncle Robert: You currently live with your aunt and uncle. They love you very much and are supportive of both of you, but lately they’ve been busy with work too.
- Patrick: Your 18-year-old cousin. He may be a little irresponsible at times, but he treats you and your twin as his own siblings, mostly because he grew up as an only child.
- Other Cousins: Patrick’s younger siblings. (Exclusive to the “poor” background option)
Friend Group / Main ROs
Your classmates can be romanced regardless of gender. There’s a platonic option for each character if you’re not interested in them.
- Wayne: An attention seeker who likes teasing his friends and talking to cute girls. Wayne is very silly and playful, but he can also be very stubborn as a result of living with his single father. He usually hides from his own insecurities of having a broken family with his active imagination.
- Roselyna: Her motto in life is, “Eat, Pray, Hug!”. She loves eating sweets and cuddling people. Roselyna is emotionally sensitive, and although she likes to please people due to her insecurities, she can be spoiled and manipulative at times. She lives with her beloved grandparents who adopted her since she was a baby.
- Michael: Proud class president and Top 1 of your class. Michael is very ambitious, but he is pressured to follow his parents’ footsteps and conflicted whether or not he should follow his own dreams. While not averse to Wayne and Lily’s antics, he doesn’t like people who break the rules. Michael lives with his mother, step-dad and two younger siblings.
- Lily: The de facto leader and oldest member of the group, much to Michael’s chagrin. Lily doesn’t trust people easily, so she likes playing detective and acts as the group’s secret-keeper. Lily’s mothers are very supportive of her, but are oblivious to their daughter’s secrets.
- Brandon/Beatrice: Resident school bully who gets away with it because he/she’s the child of the principal. They are two different characters, but who you meet is determined by your choice.
Matchmaking is an optional sidequest where you help set your friends up. Wayne can be paired with either Roselyna or Lily, while Roselyna can be paired with either Wayne or Michael.
Stuff will happen naturally between them, as well as your twin, but everyone will just stay as friends if you don’t do anything.
Note: They’re all 10 years old, except Lily who is 11. You, your twin, Wayne, and Roselyna all turn 11 over the course of the story.
The Story Worlds
Escheria is a fantasy world created by “The Three Sisters”, Arda, Agua, and Avia. A large part of Escheria is currently inhabitable and hard to traverse due to its impossible/bizarre terrain as a result of The First Intervention. Escheria is inhabited by five main races, namely: the Hoplings, the Dwarbs, the G-Nomes, the Boglins, and the elusive El’ves (the small kind).
The main story takes place in Caeshire, one of the major continents. It is covered in a large temperate forest, mountains, and giant trees. Also, it has lots of birds. Lots and lots of birds.
The first place you will encounter in Caeshire is D’ Warblings Camp, open to everyone who would like to take a refuge from the Dwarp-Hopling Civil War. There the Huckle♥Berry Inn is located, which is built on the base of a large terebinth tree and serves as the Camp’s landmark.
"Uncle" Huckle Goldberg: Proud Avian, Ornithologist, Kazooist and Accordionist, Founder of the D’ Warblings Camp, Everyone’s Uncle, and owner of the famed Huckle♥Berry Inn. (Open 5:30 AM until midnight) Currently seeking reforms to cease the Dwarp-Hopling Civil War.
Blueberry Rhymebelly: Uncle’s Hopling wife. Fled about 40 years ago, to live somewhere peaceful.
Cordelia Rhymebelly: Huckle and Berry’s Dwarpling daughter.
Pollyana Sturnidae: Uncle’s Hopling bestfriend, Avian minister, and former Broodmother of Cellador (the Hoplings’ main city). No, she doesn’t want a husband.
Dore: Uncle and Cordelia’s pet griffin. Her feathers are painted in a rainbow pattern and is looking for a mate.
While wandering the Wicked Woods of Wander-Land, you must seek The Queen of Hearts’ help if you still want to go back home.
Hickory, Dickory, and Dock: The three blind mice you’ll meet at the Bears’ house. Dock is the oldest triplet, who also has a hearing problem.
The floating remains of civilization after the events of The Wipe. Join Captain Tiago’s “pirate” crew, in search of land, looting sunken buildings, or hunt sea monsters.
Oliver/Olivia (Minor RO): 12 years old. A street urchin who joined Captain Tiago’s children pirate crew to find their missing sister Phoebe, after the Wipe flooded the world.
Nayeli (Minor RO): 9 years old. A thin, beggar girl who is mute. A member of TIago’s crew who refuses to steal and rely on alms instead.
The Dream World
Was it all a dream?
It’s a kingdom, 20,000 leagues under the sea. Duh.
Survive or become history… er, myth.
The Spiritual Realm
Receive enlightenment or something.
Chamyrrha/Chamiel (Minor RO): 6000 years old, looks like 9 years old. The silliest and most talkative angel you’ll ever meet, thanks in part to his/her mind reading. A Guardian of the High Gardens, exiled for being too mischievous and granting people’s wishes willy-nilly. Helps guide the lost souls in the Purgatory. A small part of his/her left wing was bitten off by imps. Wears a long, sky blue toga-robe, and has short, fluffy wings.
The Climax and The Big Reveal. Also, giant robots. Probably.
FAQ, or Questions You Might Ask
Why did you change the title?
Because I love the new title and it fits the story’s tone and premise better. I still like The Inter-Literary Adventurers, so it will still be included in the story as a possible group name.
How is this different from the novel?
The biggest change I did is to demote Patrick to a major side character instead. So he won’t be able to join you in most of your adventures. I have to do this in order to make room for your other friends, and I wanted to make the game’s focus on children since switching POVs wouldn’t make sense here.
Wayne and Roselyna aren’t twins anymore. This also means that they have different families now since their parents are now the PC’s parents. I also did this because I wanted to explore what their dynamic is if they aren’t siblings. Because they’d totally have a crush on each other.
Michael and Lily are sequel characters. I needed another pair of main charaters to complement W&R, and they were just who I needed.
There should also be much more room for worldbuilding–no more wordcount restrictions.
Lots of spoilerrific things also changed. In fact, except for the PC, most events I’ve changed in the process of adaptation is now canon.
How long will the story be?
My current plan is to make the story into a trilogy. Each book corresponds to a single year, so that by the end of the story, the MC will be 13.
The story will have 15 Chapters, 19 if you count the prologue and three different epilogues. The chapters definitely won’t have the same lengths though.
I know it’s long, but I’m determined to finish this thing!
Where does the story take place?
The Normal World takes place in a fictional part of the Philippines. The MC isn’t necessarily Filipino–it won’t be mentioned explicitly.
Can you play as your twin sibling? Can I change their gender?
That would be cool, but nope. You will always be opposite-sex twins because that’s the story I want to tell. Identical twins are overrated. However, there might be a way to do that later in the story…
All about ROs
There are 5 main ROs: Wayne, Roselyna, Michael, Lily, and Brandon/Beatrice. You can find more information above.
There are a few more characters you can have a crush on, but they’ll only appear for a few chapters, so you can’t have a relationship with them. They might appear later again though. So yes, you can have a crush on everyone but you can only “commit” to one person.
For those who aren’t interested in romance, each of the characters also has a platonic route.
Why am I only Level 10?
Because you play as a 10-year-old! It’s an easy way to show someone’s age. You can level up to 11 in the game though before your birthday if you get enough XP.
No, you can’t achieve any of the achievements yet. Consider them as teasers.
Can I ask about spoilery stuff?
Sure, you dirty code peeker!
Can you add this or that?
I welcome suggestions via thread or PM!
Link to the Game: Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole!