šŸŒˆ Dear Diary, We Created a Plot Hole! (A Slice-of-Life Fantasy Adventure) ~ [UPDATED Dec 25 ā€” Chapter 4 & 5 is here! | 509,000 words]

@Abe @Kethmos @ElliWoelfin Thank you. :heart:

I feel much better now. I just felt really bad because I tried to finish Chapter 2 as fast as I can so I can clear my head so I can focus better, but if I didnā€™t have the survey (or the Tumblr), I wouldā€™ve gotten almost zero feedback after working several months for the update. And, well, you can just imagine how that feels. The update has made me feel worse instead of better.

Like @Abe has said, Iā€™ve been setting up hidden messages and codes in preparation for the next update, but it feels like itā€™s not going to be even worth the effort. I donā€™t care much if my storyā€™s not popular, but itā€™s just really demotivating if every update feels like you didnā€™t update at all.

Sometimes I wish I had a lower Emotional stat.

11 Likes

Ah, understood. :wink:

You donā€™t have to beā€“the worst thing you could do to yourself is fail in your offline needs, whether that be focusing on things like your studies, keeping house with your family, or even working a job that might need more from you than usual for various reasons. Books donā€™t take under a year to complete, this is especially true, and important, for IF.

Yeah, a couple authors around the forum have demonstrated a phenomenal writing pace, but theyā€™re the outliers, not the rule. Itā€™s more realistic for projects like this to take multiple years to complete, so pauses, and breaks arenā€™t such a scary thing in the long run; even we as consumers have offline lives that need us to be present, and focused. You can love or sometimes strongly dislike the feedback you get informing you next choices, but at the end of the day you donā€™t create to exclusively cater to your readers. Thereā€™s so much more than just the ā€˜being appreciatedā€™ side of things in creation. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I do not have any problem with taking a hiatus (Iā€™ve already done that so many times, whatā€™s one more?). The problem I have is the state Iā€™m leaving the project on.

I wish this isnā€™t what Iā€™m talking about, but I donā€™t think itā€™s healthy to keep this to myself. Itā€™s honestly getting tiring being all positive in my posts when itā€™s not what Iā€™m feeling.

The problem is that there is barely any. I donā€™t want to seem ungrateful for those who have given their feedback (like you have!), but every time I try to ask for it, it just feels like Iā€™m just talking to myself ā€“ that it feels like Iā€™m being demanding ā€“ and I hate it.

MWCAPH! is supposed to be a character-driven story, but when I have gotten virtually zero discussion about the characters, when I have no idea what readers think of them (besides the numbers in the survey which arenā€™t really useful), I donā€™t really know what else to do. Iā€™ve got no one to talk about my story offline, and I just want someone to talk with and bounce off ideas with someone. If I havenā€™t done that with some of my old writer friends (most of which are rather inactive now), absolutely none of my characters would be developed right now.

Again, I know it takes effort to provide feedback and stuff, and I should write for myself and not others, but there just comes a point where getting almost none of it and seeing it almost everywhere else (especially those with much less content might I add) is just destroying my enjoyment of reading other WIPs. Iā€™d rather hear about why someone didnā€™t like my characters than get 10 more likes I canā€™t do anything with.

Am I really expecting too much here? Because I just feel really really left out.

5 Likes

If it helps, iā€™ll start laying out my thoughts.

Among the F6E, i think i like Roselyna the most. Maybe i really like friends who are sweet and affectionate. It did hurt me when she was visibly hurt from Richard's rejections.

i admit that Lily interested me at first; but now, i really suspicious of her and her motives. A part of me feels like she is interested on the Leap Day Lady for her own reasons.

i donā€™t know what to make of Wayne other than he is reckless in a funny way. His name does remind me of Wayne Brady, a known American comedian (who i knew from Whose Line is It Anyway?) Him being in the Top 10 is a surprise; though, he is a kid with many talents and interests so maybe i shouldnā€™t be.

i know that JM has the less amount of screentime but i canā€™t help but feel bad for him, seeing he is always at a crossroads.

For B, i feel bad when i learned that they were casted out (probably under Lilyā€™s machinations) but some of the things they did like framing JM for cheating and ruining Wayneā€™s gift for Roselyna did make me lose some sympathy points for them. iā€™m hoping that the future chapters could change my mind.

The option of asking if Patrick is going to sing about how the twins should not fight made me laugh. His confusion as why should he doubled [the hilarity of it].

iā€™m also going to fight anyone who picks on Randelle, Mariko, and Nabela for being different. No joke.

4 Likes

Speaking purely from an individual readerā€™s perspective, itā€™s tough to give feedback about every possible nuance the ambitions of this story hope to achieve. Before even mentioning anything else, the genres alone are a very complicated set of variables that would take time to work through. In a very real sense, a planned project of this scale could provide years of entertainment just to ā€œfind it allā€ as it were. The WIP actually already has this immense feel to it, which is impressive for being so functionally short.

The variance in the genres just from my pov, I wonā€™t be speaking on anyoneā€™s behalf here make it tough to start providing feedback toward ā€œpossibilitiesā€ that could happen in the story; my twin pair chooses Fantasy, for instance. Theyā€™re not the only pair who does, though, so what about the other genres? Thereā€™s no pressure to try them all right away, naturally, but it can be daunting to think, ā€˜I am interested in this, but not so interested in that, so is what I have to say even useful when it is likely the same as what someone else said?ā€™ Would it feel like less pressure on your end to cut a few, and then add them later as thoroughly tested dlc? Though if Iā€™m remembering this rightly, something like that was brought up beforeā€¦ I wasnā€™t around for that long, though, I do know from context this project is older than the OP for this particular thread. Leaving this aside. In a box. On the far side of the room.

The Possibilities I talked about earlier werenā€™t easy to picture until the most recent update because we were still in the school for a bit there. I can admit to being behind on catching up to reading the most recent update, though not for lack of interest as this is sincerely a one-of-a-kind story that Iā€™d love to see published one day. Still, even politely, we shouldnā€™t tell you how to write your story. Which is why my genre talk is in that box over thereā€¦ Maybe I should add some chains, and a combo lock for good measure?

If this were a real book, whoā€™s name would be on the dedication page?

You mentioned the lack of people offline to discus your project withā€“thereā€™s no doubt by now that you had to have, but have you shared about it recently? Itā€™s been with you long enough that anyone who genuinely cares for you should have at least a small invested interest in where itā€™s at, and were it will be later. I feel like Iā€™m waffling a bit, so Iā€™ll come back to this after reading the WIP again to provide something a bit more useful.

3 Likes

@Abe hugs from Roselyna The feedback is very much appreciated. Iā€™ll have to give you my thoughts some other time because I donā€™t want to make this post too long, but your post has already given me stuff to think about even if itā€™s only a line or two for each character.

But yes, the future chapters will change your mind about B ā€“ Iā€™m pleasantly surprised more people are excited for that subplot more than the fieldtrip. This is a major spoiler so unfortunately I canā€™t tease more about it.

@LadyUmbreon89 Ohh, thank you much for taking the time to type all that. I was genuinely worried I made you uncomfortable or that I kinda put you on the spot. :pensive:

While Iā€™m glad the WIP feels massive as you say, I think this is bad communication on my part. Youā€™re right that the project scale was brought up before, and that was partly the reason for the rewrite. This might be a bit clearer now with the new blurb/summary, but the story is actually fairly linear ā€“ the genres, besides giving you special interactions, just decide the villains who will be chasing you throughout the adventure, and you wonā€™t be exploring the story world youā€™ve chosen until the end. Itā€™s the climax of the story, and it wouldnā€™t make much sense to arrive there early. Iā€™ll have to elaborate on the story structure some other time, but donā€™t worry about the genres being too much work. If anything, itā€™s the dialogue choices and flavor text I need to dial back.

I also appreciate your concern. I donā€™t think Iā€™m comfortable enough yet to show it to my family, but I do plan on doing so in the future. I have showed them the animation (and most of my other projects) I was working on (they did help me with it after all), so they at least have an idea about what Iā€™m working on. :slightly_smiling_face:

And please, take your time if you do want to provide more feedback. I feel bad about my outburst earlier and I hope it hasnā€™t ruined anything. :heart: Clearly Iā€™m still in the middle of my character development.

4 Likes

Hi! I just remembered that I actually shared some of the future settings/story worlds you will encounter in the old demo thread, but I never talked about them at all here yet.

Would you guys want to learn more about the other settings (besides MCā€™s story world)? It would be moderately spoilery, but Iā€™ll just talk about the settings, not the plot and characters you will meet. (You will learn a little more about the plot during the Story Exchange during Rosieā€™s party in Chapter 3.)

• Yes, Iā€™d like to learn more about the other settings/story worlds!
  • Nope! I donā€™t want to be spoiled.

0 voters

Iā€™ll still keep them hidden even if yes wins, of course.

Edit: Oh, and just a heads up, I recently changed the Tumblr blog URL in case anyone gets confused. I also added a tags list so you can sort through the posts easier! Questions are always welcome.

4 Likes

By setting, do you mean the worlds that are created by F6E and them only? Or do have other places in mind like any of the houses, LCU and etc?

1 Like

Yup, only the story worlds. I wouldnā€™t really call Rosieā€™s house a spoiler. There might be other places you wouldā€™ve been able visit (including The NeStore), but unfortunately I had to cut a chapter to move the plot along much quicker.

Although technically, I call the first act the ā€œSlice of Lifeā€ world. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyway, it looks like the majority wants a preview, so itā€™s time forā€¦

story sneak peek

Here are some sneak peeks to the first story world you will visit! I will make my own drawings later in development, but for now, Iā€™ll show some of the reference/inspiration pictures Iā€™ve gathered instead.

Bonus points if you get all the references I put in!

Summary

Escheria

The first world you will visit is the fantasy story world, Escheria, which is based on Wayneā€™s short story.

Formerly inhabited by three goddesses, Avia, Arda, and Agua (also known as The Three Sisters), Escheria is home to the fun-loving halflings, the stubborn dwarves, the crafty gnomes, the silent, sea-faring goblins, and the tiny, elusive elves that live in the northern poles. (In-story they call themselves hoplings, dwarbs, knomes, boglins, and elā€™ves, respectively)

Escheria, as its name might suggest, has an extremely unusual geography that morphs and changes every 100 or so cycles, in an event known as a ā€œworldquakeā€. The cause of this event is the major reason why there is a great divide between the ā€˜racesā€™, particularly the Avian-worshipping halflings and the Ardan-worshipping dwarves.

Caeshire

The places you will get to visit in Caeshire (the largest continent in Escheria) include:

D' Warblings Camp

Dā€™ Warblings Camp is a refugee camp established by Dā€™ Warblings orchestra, where both dwarves and halflings can live in peace. It is situated in a remote, terraced valley, which is home to partridges, turtle doves, Caeshirean hens, and a large variety of other calling birds. A bridge to a terebinth treehouse lies near the middle, where the famous Huckle-Berry Inn is located.

Cellador

Cellador is the capital city of the halflings, where the esteemed Broodmother resides. It is a massive sequoia tree city interconnected through ziplines, aqueducts, mushroom bridges, and overhanging cable trains.

MetroKnome

MetroKnome is a sprawling steam/dieselpunk metropolis, where you will see airship and ornithopter races in every corner. It is rumored that the rapid technological advancement of the gnomes is a result of a black, indestructible monolithic machine of unknown origin, that stands tall in District 13 ā€” the heart of the city. Good thing they were able to repair and upgrade the school bus you crashed.

Mt. Bundoc

Mt. Bundoc is part of the largest mountain range in Caeshire, governed by the Dwarf President. This is where the most unusual geological formations happen, that seem to even alter the laws of physics. Castles and mining settlements of all shapes and sizes dot the mountainside and the numerous ravines and canyons.

Gub'bat Forest

A cursed forest in the Uncanny Valley, haunted by the victims of the war that resulted in The First Intervention. Should you travel through at night, watch out for seemingly abandoned water wells, houses with legs, and pray to the Three Sisters that you never encounter the night parade of a hundred demons, lest you join your ancestorsā€™ constellation in the sky. Hopefully you have a dreamcatcher to help you slumber through the night.

Mobius River

An ever-changing river that loops around Escheria, with no clear end or origin. People all over Caeshire leave trinkets on the river as it passes through, waiting for them to come back around, where they can take and leave new mathoms for the next cycle, at which point everyone becomes one cycle older.

There are many other locations of course, but since your visit to Escheria only lasts for 2-3 chapters, you wonā€™t get to explore them allā€¦ for now, at least.

Escheria is the most developed setting I have so far, so feel free to send me questions, here or through Tumblr!

Anyway, thatā€™s all for now, and may the birds be with you!

Sources

(Check the Tumblr post for image sources)

Edit: Oops, I forgot to put this in. I know I said there wonā€™t be any character introductions in this one, but since I already previewed this in Tumblr, I figured Iā€™d show it here too.

Character Sneak Peek # 1

Meet the rainbow cockatoo griffin, Dore! (Get it? :D)

You will meet Dorothy in Chapter 5 while exploring Dā€™ Warblings Camp. And yup! Youā€™ll be able to pet and ride Doreā€”which Iā€™m very sure will be very fun for the twins with the [Acrophobe] Trait. Of course, you can also travel by ground, but whereā€™s the fun in that?

9 Likes

Oh my arceus shes beutifull

1 Like

Thatā€™s amazing! i also envy you since you can draw animals better than me

1 Like

Sheā€™s a beaut!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate it a lot, and now Iā€™m getting the itch to draw the rest of the characters again (there are a lot I need to draw still). To be honest, I really should practice drawing more often. Thereā€™s still a lot I need to learn, and Iā€™m very slow.

Yuuup, finding reference pictures for animals are a pain sometimes.

Anyway, here are some fun facts about Dore:

Summary
  • Dore is currently looking for a mate
  • Doreā€™s feathers are actually just dyed/painted
  • She likes licking people who are new to the campā€“itā€™s her way of saying hello
  • Sheā€™s a showoff and likes doing tricks in the air (especially when she has passengers on)

Oh, and btw, I found a better reference for Cellador! (Specifically the 2nd and 3rd ones from the bottom).

4 Likes

Hello everyone! I just updated the demo to show the survey results from Chapter 2 (You can load a save near the end to see your results).

It has much less data than the old survey (and half of it is still untallied), but results seem consistent for the most part. Iā€™ve updated my spreadsheet though, so I donā€™t have to manually tally things up anymore, so stat updates should be more frequent.

Here's a little preview of how I evaluate the stats:

The numbers on the leftmost column is the percentage range, while the left number in each column is how many people are in that range (right number is the percentage).

For example, I can see here that thereā€™s only a few people with a Precocious stat higher than 80%, so I might lower flavor text that need at least 80% Precocious down to 75 or 70.

Here are some fun and interesting things to note:
  • The most popular genre combination is Fantasy and Mythology, at 19%, then Fantasy and Supernatural at 14%. Fantasy has an overall pick rate of 56%.
  • INT still remains as the highest attribute for most people at 48%.
  • The personality stat with the most people at the extreme ends (98-100%) is Reliant, at 11%, followed by Introvert and Emotional at 9%.
  • ā€œHave you tried to make them stop using your cuteness?ā€ is the most popular bully advice for Rosie at 35%. Expect her to keep following this advice in inappropriate situations, hehe.
  • 42% didnā€™t send a message to their twin, and 44% of those who did, wanted to give their twin a hug. (No one has picked the ā€œIā€™m waiting for Twinā€™s sorryā€)
  • 63% told the group about Bā€™s deal, and 88% agreed to it.
  • Thereā€™s one person who somehow reached about 50% relationship with B (might be an error?), and then pretty much everyone else is below 20%. Not sure if this needs adjusting again.
  • 44% donā€™t have a favorite parent but there are 2x more people who are Mommyā€™s children than Daddyā€™s children.
  • 65% have their twin as their bestfriend, and a little over 50% have a crush on someoneā€¦ so far, at least.
  • Only 21% have accepted Lilyā€™s sidequest in the library, and Iā€™m assuming this is because most people chose to not snoop in on her. Maybe I should add a hint that thereā€™s a sidequest if you choose to do that.

That said, there isnā€™t much difference in interest between Bā€™s sidequest and Aunt Julieā€™s secret, so hereā€™s a poll regarding Chapter 3:

Which branch are you most interested in/want to check out first?
  • Sleepover! (Allows you to progress both B and Lilyā€™s sidequests, and interact more with the group)
  • Go home early (Allows you to discover Aunt Julie and Maggieā€™s secrets)

0 voters

Once again, thank you to everyone who answered the survey and shared their playthrough codes! I really appreciate it. :heart:

9 Likes

i think iā€™m going to have the Valdez and Agnes do the sleepover while Richard goes home early just because it is inline with their characters. Also because i never had a sleepover with friends before. Cousins, sure but never with friends.

1 Like

Welp, Iā€™m actually kinda glad the sleepover is getting the majority vote. I was anticipating that itā€™d be the other way around, so I added more incentives to going to the sleepover since I wanted it to be a dilemma. But maybe I didnā€™t need to do that. :thinking:

Iā€™m not working on it yet, but Iā€™ll probably split the Chapter 3 update to two parts and work on the sleepover branch first. Iā€™m dreading working on the other path because it has actual ciphers and puzzles you need to solve, and I want to make sure you canā€™t just cheat by looking through the code, or if youā€™ve already played once (it wonā€™t be much of a mystery otherwise). Of course, youā€™ll still get something even if you donā€™t solve it.

Well, I never had one either, so youā€™re not alone :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Wow-- can I just say I love this? The graphics, the aesthetic, the effort! The creativity in how my character is writing a story while playing it?? The existential themes, the dialogue? Itā€™s incredible! Iā€™ll give more substantive feedback when I have time but wow! Also, Iā€™m feeling some real middle school nostalgia while playing, which is funny haha.

(I actually have a twin brother irl so I decided just to create characters that are me and him-- first time I played as myself lol).

edit: Okay, so I really liked the humor of the story, like the shout-outs to Shakespeare, Star Wars, Firefly, etcā€¦ I also liked the way you kind of weave in the exposition about my character and her background super seamlessly. Honestly, I donā€™t have much suggestions other than I canā€™t wait to finish this game haha

5 Likes

Hi! Thank you so much for the comments @Tuunetoon! :relaxed: Also, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback ā€“ Iā€™ll make sure to return the favor when I have the time!

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the story so far, and aaaaaaa itā€™s always nice to see that someone has a twin. I actually donā€™t have one myself, so if you have any suggestions or feedback regarding MCā€™s relationship with their twin, Iā€™d love to hear it! :blue_heart:

Hehe, and yup, itā€™s fun littering references to other stories and stuff throughout the story.

5 Likes

:joy: never fails to amuse me

4 Likes

The only thing I can say is that ime twins tend to be competitive just because weā€™re going through all the same life stages, and people tend to compare us for the same reasons, but I feel like itā€™s good that a lot of that is also customizable bc obviously everyone is different :smiley:

1 Like