Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole! (A Slice-of-Life Fantasy Adventure) [+New Title Poll!]

(WIP Cover Art)

The day after you and your twin sibling rewrote your mother’s unfinished bedtime story, you quickly find out why she never finished it. You have unleashed a plot hole—a portal to different story worlds—and now the villains from the stories you’ve written have become real. They’re here to crash your school fieldtrip, and they’re here to finish your mother’s story for good.

Grab your plot armor and join your twin and friends in a meta-fictional adventure! Explore different story worlds—from fantasy and sci-fi, to mythology and mystery. Will you discover the truth behind your mother’s story? Or will villains, plot twists, and character development prevent you from getting your happily ever after?

Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole! is written as a love letter to all the kids-at-heart out there, who’d like to revisit their childhood and reimagine it as one big trope-filled fantasy adventure (with slice-of-life elements). It’s light-hearted, it’s whimsical, but it also aims to explore, deconstruct, and reconstruct the more serious tropes and themes on what it means to be a character in a story (such as character deaths and the abundance of orphan protagonists).

features_header-30

Summary

:star: Explore different story worlds!

• Choose from 8 different origin story genres: Fantasy, Fairytales, Sci-Fi, Mythology, Horror, Mystery, Superheroes, and Adventure

:star: Meaningful choices and immersive customization!

• With a character-driven narrative that offers plenty of meaningful appearance, gender, and personality customization for both you and your twin, your choices will not only change the narrative, but also your character’s vocabulary and tone as well.

:star: Dynamic stats screen, inventory, and personal diary!

• Keep track of all your choices, your treasure collection, as well as secrets you’ve discovered with the stats screen, your inventory, and personal diary! Use your magical locket’s telepathy or empathy powers to find out what effect your choices have on the story!

:star: Fight legendary creatures!

• Go toe-to-paw against the Big Bad Wolf, outgrabe the Jabberwock, and send the Lernaean Hydra back to its constellation!

:star: Encounter adorable companions along the way!

• Piglets, dragons, and everything mice! Bring your favorite stuffed toy to life! Rescue a baby that fell from a stork!

:star: Complete side-quests!

• Help out dwarves and halflings in a civil war, join a pirate gang in a post-apocalyptic spaceship graveyard, and solve the mystery of your mother’s secrets!

:star: Inevitable puppy love subplots and friendship routes!

• Have crushes on your classmates (or those you meet in your adventures), or stay oblivious and just be friends with everyone.

:star: Achievements and NewGame Plus!

• Replay the game to collect fun achievements and unlock bonus scenes in NewGame+ that will recontextualize the whole story.

:star: Musical scenes and unique character art!

demo_header-30

:rainbow: Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole!

Current word count including code: ~139,000+
Average words per playthrough: ~40,000
Latest Major Update (Aug 30, 2021)

Ver. 2.2 Highlights

• Chapter Two is now complete! The story is now set one day later to improve pacing.
  • MC and Twin are now 12 years old. The reconciliation scene has been revamped to be more thematic.
  • You can now choose the reason why you still love/believe or hate/resent Maggie.
  • You now get the option to skip songs if you choose to skip the first song.
  • You can now select your character class/dream job.
  • Adjusted stats and character personalities according to feedback.
  • 10+ new traits, 1 new sidequest, 1 new trinket, and 3 new secrets to be discovered!
  • The diary is now accessible!
  • Increased save slots to 12.
  • Roselyna is now slightly more huggable.

The complete update log can be found in the demo.

Survey

When you finish the demo, you will see a code that you can submit to a survey. I’ll be sharing the data collected at the end of the demo, where you’ll see the percentage of people who picked the same choices as you. It’s not necessary to submit a code, but you can submit as many codes as you want!

Here’s the link again if you missed it!

What's in the next update?

Here's what to expect in Chapter 3
  • Roselyna’s birthday party and sleepover
  • Learn what your friends wrote in their short stories
  • Get clues about the Leap Day Lady’s identity and why B was cast out from the group
  • Figure out Aunt Julie’s laptop password
  • You can finally name your stuffed toy again!

char_header

Your Family

Your Twin: Your 12-year-old opposite-sex twin sibling. Your twin has a customizable appearance and personality depending on several variables, but they will always have a different opinion about your mother. You and your twin will be 13 years old by the end of the story.

Mommy Maggie: Your mother. She’s the reason you and your twin love bedtime stories so much. She started writing her own bedtime story where you are the two main characters, but she never finished it. She left you and your twin when you turned 5 years old to work abroad, or at least, that’s what she said. She promised to return when you turned 9, but she never did.

Your Father: You’ve only seen your father through pictures, and your mother seems reluctant to tell you the truth about where he is. But she seems to be very sure of one thing: that he loves both of you.

Auntie Julie and Uncle Robert: Your mother’s estranged sister and your auntie’s husband. Your mother left you with them before she went abroad. They were reluctant at first, but eventually they grew to love you as their own children.

Kuya Patrick: Your 17-year-old cousin. He may be a little irresponsible at times, but he treats you and your twin as his own siblings, mostly because he grew up as an only child. Ever since your mother left, he’s been the one telling you bedtime stories, although he has been busy with school work recently.

Crush Options

The available crush options are currently: Wayne, Roselyna, JM, Lily, and Brandon/Beatrice. At least four more characters will be available as the story progresses.

I’m calling them crush options because the characters are still too young to be in an official relationship. Characters who like the MC back will be referred to as a “mutual crush”.

If puppy love is not your thing, each character has a friendship route which has similar scenes, so you won’t miss out on anything.

You can check the character page to learn more about the characters. More information can also be found in the MC’s diary in-game!

feedback_header-30

If you enjoyed it (or hated it), I’d really appreciate it if you drop me a like and some feedback (here or through PM). It encourages me to keep doing what I’m doing. :heart:

Please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, I’ll try to consider each feedback. I can’t solve what I’m not aware of, after all!

Feedback I’m looking for:

• What did you like/dislike about the characters?
  • Was there any point in the story where you felt bored?
  • Was there a choice that gave you a different personality stat increase from what you thought?
  • Was there a scene where your MC acts inconsistently, or out of character? (For example, an independent MC acting clingy?)

tumblr_headr

MWCAPH! now has a Tumblr! Follow the blog for updates, sneak-peeks, information about the characters, and other fun stuff!

faq

Questions about the story
When is the next update?

I don’t know! I’m currently taking a break to focus on other stuff, so progress will be very slow for now.

How long will the game be?

MWCAPH! is currently planned to have at least 16 chapters, excluding the prologue and epilogue.

It is a standalone story, but I’ve always wanted to make it a trilogy. There’s just too much to explore!

When will the adventure start happening?

The fieldtrip will begin in Chapter 4, while the actual story world exploration starts in Chapter 5.

Do the songs in the story have music?

Nope! Although I did base the lyrics and melody from some existing songs, I am unfortunately not a musician (nor do I know anyone). Please don’t ask what the songs are.

Will you add a glossary?

Most likely not. I’d rather remove the confusing parts than add a glossary—it’s not a big deal. If something is still confusing you, please let me know so I can look into it! The more specific, the better.

If I added a glossary, it’s more likely that I’ll just write sentences without the appropriate context entirely. Plus it’s disruptive to the flow of the story.

Questions about crush options
Who are the crush options?

The available crush options are currently: Wayne, Roselyna, JM, Lily, and Brandon/Beatrice. At least four more characters will be available as the story progresses.

I’m calling them crush options because the characters are still too young to be in an official relationship. Characters who like the MC back will be referred to as a “mutual crush”.

If puppy love is not your thing, each character has a friendship route which has similar scenes, so you won’t miss out on anything.

You can check the character page to learn more about them. More information can be found in the MC’s diary in-game.

When will we meet the other crush options?

You will meet one of them in Chapter 5, two in Chapter 10, and one in Chapter 15. These are the only ones planned for now, there might be more later in development!

Please note that due to their nature, the side characters will appear later in the story and you won’t be able to meet them again until the epilogue after you leave their respective story worlds.

Can I have a crush on more than one character?

Of course! However, you can only confess and have one “mutual crush” at a time. The others won’t have a crush on you until you say that you are no longer interested in your previous crush.

I’m not comfortable with anything poly-related with a young MC, but the concept will be explored in one of the story worlds.

If I don’t have high Charm or the Romantic trait, am I locked out of having a crush?

Nope! You’re not locked out of having a crush as long as you don’t have the [Not Interested] or [Cootiephobe] Traits. The [Romantic] Trait just unlocks special interactions.

You will be able to change these traits in the sequel.

Will the MC’s Twin have any crushes?

Probably not. It just further complicates things with the MC, and it doesn’t really add anything thematically.

If the twin has the heart locket, they might have a crush on a minor side character, but I probably won’t focus on it.

Questions about MC and their Twin
Can the MC be older than 12?

The MC will turn 13 during the epilogue, but otherwise, no.

If you want to play as a teenager, there are plenty of other games where you can play as one. I already aged the MC up from 8 years old—if playing as a child makes you uncomfortable, this isn’t the story for you.

Is the MC a Filipino?

Not necessarily! I can’t say much more than that because it’s spoilery. If they were, the customization options would be a lot more limited. You’re free to make your own headcanons!

Can I play as the MC’s Twin?

Right now there aren’t any plans where you can actually play as your twin, but there might be scenes in the future where the POV will be from the twin (and some other characters) with very limited choices.

For now, you can replay the story and pick different choices accordingly.

Can the MC’s Twin be non-binary?

Probably, but I will most likely implement it towards the end of development. The twin uses pronouns more often than the MC, and it’d be a lot easier to implement them all at once instead of during writing.

The twins will always stay opposite sex however, and no plot hole will change that.

Questions about choices
Why are some of the choices grayed out?

This most likely means you didn’t meet the requirement, but some of the choices are actually a part of the MC’s thoughts, and are intentionally unpickable. You can’t decline the first quest, for example.

Why do my twin and I have different dream job/class choices?

The suggested classes are based on your birthday wish and favorite genre, while your twin is based on the locket shape they are wearing. If none of the classes fit your characters, you can type in whatever job/class you want! This also has the benefit of letting you choosing the stat bonuses.

Is there a guide on how to get the achievements and where to find the secrets and trinkets?

Nope! But I will definitely make one once there’s more content. For now, have fun hunting for the secrets and trinkets!

None of the achievements are possible to get currently, as they haven’t been finalized yet.

How do the personality stats work?

Please check out the Personality Stats Guide.

Can I make fanart/fanfiction?

Absolutely! I would love to see your creations, and hear more about your twins! You can either post them here in the thread, or through Tumblr (Please mention @mwcaph and tag #mwcaph and #mommy we created a plot hole).

I found a bug/typo/plot hole! Where should I report them?

Please report them here in the forum thread, or through the Tumblr ask box.

If I haven’t answered your question, feel free to send me a question here in the thread, through PM, or through the Tumblr askbox!

Trailer

So, I created an animated trailer for MWCAPH! as my school project. It’s complete, but unfortunately I had to rush it, and I don’t want to share it in its current state just yet. It needs an awful lot of polishing before it’s presentable, but I don’t think I can do that in the foreseeable future.

So here’s a preview instead!

270 Likes

i remember playing the previous demos before and i’m really liking everything so far.

While the previous demos gave me the taste of the thought process and feelings of my MC (and to an extent, their friends), this version makes me feel more intuned with my MC.

i also like that the MC has a lot more interactions with their twin, their friends (well 3 out of 4 of them) and some other characters that weren’t in the previous demos like their mother, their teacher and their classmates.

Edit: is it okay to post fanart here?

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad you like the new demo! And yup, I had a lot of fun developing both the new and old characters, and they have a lot more personality now. Who was your favorite character so far?

Please do! :blush:

i don’t know if i have a favorite character yet but i would love to be friends with Roselyna and i’m excited to meet Lily.

Some fanart:

Remy (left) and Ryan (right)
Picrew by haruaki

20 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to ask if you still needed testers? I didn’t play the original demo but this sounds absolutely fascinating. I look forward to hearing more about this game!

1 Like

Heyo if you still need testers im down i haven’t played the original demo but this seems fun to play.

1 Like

The original demo is still on dashingdon so you can try it

1 Like

If you still need tester I’ll test

2 Likes

I haven’t read the first demo- though I am about to see if I can track it down on Dashingdon to try- but I’d love to test if you have an available spot.

1 Like

@Abe Omg I love them so much! Thank you for sharing them! :blush:

I can’t wait to finish Chapter 2 so I can introduce Lily! She’s a very complex character even if she doesn’t sound like that at first, and there’s actually a plot-related reason she’s the last to be introduced. Also, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to be friends with Roselyna. Hehe.

I appreciate everyone who has expressed interest so far, and I’ve already sent the link to them. There’s still plenty of spots left!

I didn’t link the old demo because I’ll admit that it wasn’t very good, and it’s not really representative of the story anymore since I did a total rewrite.

2 Likes

You have the best stat screen I ever seen, absolutely gorgeous. I would like to choose our gender and name earlier ( I confused because I don’t know if this/that will decide my MC name/gender )

2 Likes

@Buraida_Zubair Hi! Are you talking about the old demo? I can give you the link to the new one if you want!

@Manaxaggd Aww, thanks. It’s even more better now! I’ve addressed this in the new demo–do you want the link too?

Uhh i might be intrested

1 Like

i guess i never mentioned the stats screen before but i really do love how it looks. With the font used for the headers and the particular stats you used really did match with the RPG-like style you were going for.

i also like the inclusion of traits per (well for the lack of a better word) category. You know i mentioned this before but it does make it easier for me to visualize about my MC and their twin.

You also did a good job in writing the kid characters as kids and creating a rather fun atmosphere. It's rather refreshing.
5 Likes

I’d be interested in giving feedback if you still need someone!

1 Like

All of the characters really feel real, and I love all the different ways it’s possible to interact with them. The way you react with your twin feels really natural. The stats and the enter and exit texts for various characters really add to the feeling of the game. It’s really interesting and unique.

1 Like

@Abe has said what I would, so she speaks for both of us … thank you for a refreshing story.

I also really like the (temporary) cover art… I would consider making it permanent.

2 Likes

Yeah, so you know that handwriting choice? I’m actually planning to make 4 different headers for each style! :smile:

And it’s fun writing their dialogue! One of my biggest problems in writing is actually including the action/dialogue beats since I can easily just have walls of dialogue. (It’s even harder to do with all the constant branching/merging.)

MC’s voice took me quite a while to pin down because of the different personalities, but I think all of them sound consistent so far.

@feather_light Thanks for the feedback! Do you have a favorite character so far?

Also, I’m interested to hear your (and everyone else’s) MCs and their relationship with each other!

@Eiwynn Thank you for gracing me with your presence! :blush:

I might use it somewhere else, but I actually have a WIP of the cover art in the demo. I guess it doesn’t hurt to post it here too.

WIP Cover Art (Very mild spoilers)

Also, quick update: There’s only 2 slots left! I can increase it, but I’ll have to wait for the first round of feedback first.

5 Likes

I haven’t played the (older version) game, but i’d like to be a beta tester if you still have a spot!

1 Like

Well I do love talking about my favorites and my MC soooo…

My personal favorite is Wayne so far. Haikus, teasing, might be crushing on my best hug-friend for life… what’s not to like? Roselyna’s a close second. I mean… hugs. JM’s cool, but not the type of character I usually prefer. He’s not unlikable, just not my cup of tea.

I’ve somehow already managed to find myself two sets of twins I’m rather attached to in my playthroughs. Maddie (the MC) and Mason, and Luke (the MC) and Reyna. (If I have time later today I’ll try my hand at some fan art).

Maddie’s more of the shy type. She’s the younger twin, and her and Mason are really close. She’s a rule follower and extremely organized. Loves Roselyna’s hugs with a passion, and doesn’t see Wayne’s appeal. She’s still waiting for her Mama to come home. Her stuffed puppy’s name is Sparky, and her brother’s is Stormy.

Luke on the other hand is an extravert. He’s the older twin, and has a love-hate relationship with Reyna. He’s always been fairly independent, and not a big fan of hugs. Totally on board with Wayne’s attitude, but JM isn’t his favorite person… He threw out his Mom’s family picture, and doesn’t bother checking his texts. His dino’s name is Luke Jr., and his sister’s is Belladona.

If I do get around to that art, I’ll make sure to share it :wink:

1 Like