Model Citizens: Unmasked (WIP - Update March 11, 2022)

The most dangerous people you could ever meet.

How dare they target poor innocent boxes of sugary cereal?!

2 Likes

I was undecided if my MC still loves their Ex but that flashback was greatly written and gave me the feels. :sob:

Anyway, I always get Vincent. Well, tbh I went through the update only two times. But I’d like to think this is because of MC’s taste in troublesome men. :joy:

Looking forward to the next update! :blush:

2 Likes

Lady in red taking my engagement ring. Aw hell naw!!!

1 Like

Err, who’s Vincent? I’ve played through multiple times and I don’t recall a Vincent.

1 Like

The name and gender of the person you meet at the end changes depending on which option you choose. Woman = Vera, man = Vincent, and nonbinary person = Vega

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this one before:

one of the choices soon after accepting the Red Light case: The manager of the establishment, Yolanda Waltz, certainly seems open to the press. Maybe you can score and interview?

I believe that should be an “an”.

1 Like

I took a bit of a break from my homework (which was drawing) to… spend about two more hours drawing…

Look what you’ve made me do. I did two of my least favorite things, drawing hands, and drawing people interacting. Smh :unamused: I also wanted to draw Wesley’s look of betrayal when he found out that Raf was Harbinger and also something with Finley but it’s super late and I need to get back to my hw :sweat:

Gonna try and squeeze in some more time to draw fanart before I have my midterms :grinning:

9 Likes

That person in the flashback-dream could’ve just as easily been the MC’s mom or something :smirk:

Also, that scene got me thinking. Was the MC already a reporter before, and only took up The Rust’s jobs due to the Ex, or did the word “assignment” not refer to reporting?

The party scene…

people there are… odd… to say the least. Some mysterious, some slightly annoying. And a ring thief. Sort of. The descriptions of the nightclub are wonderfully detailed, as are the ones written before it. Makes it so easy to visualise the area.

Plus, it seems like they own the whole building, but the nightclub only occupies the 12th floor? Hmm…

Maybe the statue’s got something to do with the rainbow assortment of drinks…

1 Like

@RenaB I think your side project is turning out better than your main gig here.

1 Like

I love this game so much and this update was fantastic; I love the world-building, the character interactions (I swear I want to romance every single character I meet LOL), and I’m super excited to figure out what’s going on with Sweet Sound and Red Light.

I did catch a typo: “Should i get a nightlight for you?” You say teasingly <- the ‘i’ should be capital.

Also, I have no idea how much time or effort it requires, but would it be possible for you to implement a save button? It’s just that I want to explore several options but I always have to start from the beginning.

2 Likes

So, since it completely went over my head (as many things often do) I realized that people might not realize unless they play through multiple times that as @anon86661845 pointed out Vincent, Vera, and Vega are all the same person. (Thank you, by the way, I probably should’ve realized that it might get confusing. :sweat_smile:)

So, yeah, like he said:

If there’s any more confusion I’ll usually refer to them as ‘V’ since, well, that’s the theme of the names. (Another set of names that @SweetScarlet helped me with!) Or I’ll just use the name that someone, in specific, is referring to.

Hope that helps @Terriermon50!

It gets news coverage, the friend has an interview with Oprah, everything. The Rust is exposed, and all because one reporter chose to take the alias Dick Johnson…

For a moment I misread this and didn’t see the ‘away from’ and well… That would’ve escalated quickly.

Yeah, the demo ends after the player meets V, so that’s normal.

Hmm… even when you took the drink and/or argued with Bright?

Oh, whoops! Thanks for catching that!

If they are then we can always change it, that’s what the city council is for, of course!

I’m with @Scorpio00, I’ll build the homes for the geckos but I draw the lines at cereal killers. Gotta have some morals. [quote=“Lux_Inferni, post:362, topic:22922”]
Every celebrity will be begging to be MC’s arm candy!
[/quote]

I just imagine the MC dragging a bunch of people clinging to their arms like deadweights as they attempt to complete their stories. The heroes and villains are very confused.

Hmm… this actually got me thinking a bit.

Because, there poses a question- Lucy’s powers rely on her getting hit and her being able to hit others, Raf, for example, would know that if he attacked Lucy he’d be in trouble, but he’d also know how to dodge if she attacked him. However, if Likewise were to steal his powers then Raf would be left defenseless and Likewise would be the one dodging, but then there’s also Red Light’s powers, which are briefly mentioned in the Informant’s info, but would essentially stop the entire fight if he managed to get his hands on anybody. It also got me thinking about some of the heroes and villains who have yet to appear…

I think, in the end, Likewise might very well be most likely to win because they can nullify powers. They’d probably have to absorb Raf’s powers to do it (so that they would know things like ‘Don’t hit Lucy, avoid close combat with Red Light, etc.’) But if they could manage to do that and then nullify the rest they’d be the highest contender.

Is it weird that after reading this and seeing the picture above my first thought was: ‘Yay! Recycling!’?

The answer is probably yes.

[spoiler]Shh, I’ve already broken my ‘no spoilers’ rule too many times. :sweat_smile: My lips are sealed.

Ricky would probably ask for the entire story, or want to know it at least. It would depend on how much he liked the MC in question, if they were at the point that they’re at in the beginning of the book then he’d make a snide remark as per your example, but if they’re friends or, y’know, don’t hate each other, then he’d probably just straight up ask what happened. A bit more gently if they were friends than just ‘So why’d it fail?’

But you’ll get to see each characters reaction to the ring if the MC chooses to show them and let them know about their past. (Sometimes not on purpose…)[/spoiler]

Ah, the flashback, a useful tool for making present day seem inexplicably more depressing via the use of context. Gotta love it!

Haha, I mean, technically, it partially is!

Vincent, Vera, and Vega are all the same person, their gender changes depending on who you choose to talk to at the party.

Thank you so much! I’ll do my best!

Now you gotta get back at her for that!

Oh, whoops! Thank you for catching that!

I took a bit of a break from breathing for a second when I saw that drawing! It’s so beautiful!! It looks so good! What the heck?? I will never understand how people draw so amazingly.

What you’ve done is something absolutely and positively amazing (Seeing this kinda thing just makes me so happy because I adore to see what people picture I don’t know man it just looks so cool and gets me hyped. It looks so good and I know I must sound like a broken wind-up toy box- the creepy clown kind that you always think are gonna reach out and pull you into their tiny box where you’ll spend the rest of eternity screaming on cue or maybe that’s just me- but it looks so good!)

Also the hands and the interaction both look spectacular- so spectacular in fact that I had to google search ‘amazing synonym’ because they deserve a word of their own.

[spoiler]Good luck with your homework! I seriously can’t wait to show everyone the unmasking scene.

It’s gonna be fun.

And by fun I mean, of course, cripplingly depressing.[/spoiler]

Well, I look forward to seeing any if you decide to do so! :smile:

Good luck with midterms, by the way!

Out of all the headcannons that have floated around…

I thought the lawyer one was the strangest.
I was wrong.

I can assure you that it wasn’t the MCs mom. :sweat_smile:

The MC was a reporter before working for The Rust, it’s something I debated making optional for a while but then realized that, plot-wise, it’d make most sense for a reporter’s first instinct to work for The Rust after… erm… certain events… and wouldn’t really make any sense for someone who wasn’t a reporter beforehand considering that, for all the low-pay and poor working conditions, you kind of have to be good at what you do to go tackling uncovering the identities of heroes and villains.

That and Finley just wouldn’t hire someone who’s not experienced, no matter their reason, the job is just too dangerous.

That’s certainly one way of saying it!

Thank you so much! I really loved writing it… is it strange that I love writing about cities when I hate cities myself? Probably.

There’s definitely something off there, isn’t there? :wink:

Maybe…

Y’know it’s funny that you mention this 'cause I was thinking about it recently and how funny it is that I just kinda threw this out there as a ‘screw it lets do it’ thing and it’s become one of my favorite things to write. (Next to my main project of course).

They’ve both their things I love about 'em. But then again, I get really attached to my stories, since I spend a while cultivating them and flushing out the characters and sometimes even combining them or rewriting them, I don’t know. It’s fun and strange and I love it.

Thank you so much! I’m so happy you like it!

Ha! Well, there’s still plenty more to meet (I mean, dang, we haven’t even gotten through the meeting of every RO, yet! There’s still Eileen, Yolanda, Raf/Lucy (depending on who you didn’t chose as an ex), Jacob for some, and Ricky for some! Then there’s one my personal favorite characters who, sadly, probably won’t be coming in for a while. But I absolutely adore her, and can’t wait for her to come into the story, even if she plays a bigger part in the second book than she does here.)

Thanks for catching that!

That’s definitely high on my list.

I’m still really new to coding so I’ve been trying to understand how to implement the save system (I’ve read through the forum, but half this stuff still sounds like a foreign language to me :sweat_smile:), but it’s one of my biggest priorities, especially as the book starts to branch out more and more. And especially since, with this one, I want to play around the idea of how the player’s views on what happens can change depending on what they know.

How one person who might seem kind and helpful could really seem malicious and scheming depending on what information you’ve found out, and vice versa.

It’s probably a bit ambitious but I’m gonna try it anyway, so that if anyone ever does decide to play through it multiple times they could realize something about an event that they thought differently of before. Which means I really gotta put a save feature in there for the demo.

So, yeah! I’m gonna try and get that in soon as I figure out what the heck any of it means.

7 Likes

Hmm…so we can currently only flirt or talk with Ricky that second time if we get drunk or fight with the sculptor, I can get Ricky just fine if my mc gets tipsy, although he’s just too charming to ever get into that silly argument with the artist.

1 Like

About the engagement ring, I doubt Lucy would keep her, she doesn’t seem to be the sentimental type.

1 Like

Yeah, for right now those are the only ways to flirt with Ricky a second time. (There’ll be more that aren’t quite as easy to miss later on, they were mostly just because, well, I mean, if the MC’s gonna do something that could endanger Ricky’s image you can bet he’d have something to say about it.) :grin:

@Urban Depends on their reason for marrying. Lucy’s not a sentimental type, you’re right, but she is very loyal. So if the marriage was out of love she might keep it around just because getting rid of it would seem disloyal in her eyes.

4 Likes

How not marry a dark-skinned amazon out of love? :heart_eyes:
I would think that since they aren’t married anymore, then it wouldn’t be disloyal. I can’t wait for them to meet again.

1 Like

I am running for city council support me in my run and you wont be eaten by my deathclaws!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m so glad you like it ;o;

Can’t wait for the reveal (and for my poor Wesley’s heart to be broken into a million pieces), the suspense is killing me

Homework went well despite having to finish like a quarter of it on the bus this morning (not entirely my fault, my hand started cramping partway through) Interestingly enough, it involved drawing more hands. Cat hands. As in hands on a cat(like creature). Not because my professor asked for that specifically, but because the character I created specifically for that class was a cat monster who has really weird and difficult to draw anatomy. Including freaky cat hands. That are very difficult to draw

I’m starting to believe I must be some sort of masochist with all the pain I put myself through

Again, thank you!

1 Like

Hey, fun news! The save system thing reminded me to try that again and I realized that there’s a pretty gosh darn easy way to implement it on dashingdon which completely went over my head before but now that I’ve noticed it- I think it’s implemented correctly! Yay!

If not, then I’ll fix it. But I’m a good 90% sure that you can now save!

@Urban [spoiler]Lucy’s hard not to love, she’s energetic and ambitious, and there’s almost no way not to have fun with her around.

The re-meet scene between the Ex and MC is something I look forward to, too. I’ve been plotting out the different ways it can go in my head for both Lucy and Raf and, well, I’m super excited to see how it goes![/spoiler]

And here I was under the impression that you were already on the city council… I mean, you’re responsible for half the deathclaws of the Pit!

Maybe you’re running for reelection?

Is it that time already?

I’m still freaking out over how cool it looks.

Funny words you used there, friend… Ah-em, it’s that old frog in the throat.

Ah, geez, and regular hands alone are torturous! :scream_cat: That sounds terrible, but I’m sure it looked amazing.

I mean, you chose to draw hands. There’s some pretty strong evidence right there and then to that being a true statement…

4 Likes

Please tell me that’s not some kind of foreshadowing O__O

I once had to draw hands for my product design exam… Product took about 10mins, the extra human hand that needed to be there took about another 10mins, plus a freak load of redraws in the next few days…

1 Like

Yup, I can save now! Thanks for that :slight_smile: I’m having fun trying new conversations and getting new bits of information

1 Like