Model Citizens: Unmasked (WIP - Update March 11, 2022)

I’m sure Ricky is personally competent and knows what he’s doing and why. :wink:
I think you mean less self-serving and corrupt ones, well good luck with that. See the recent US elections, people could have had Sanders, but instead they elected a crazy billionaire, so given the super-powered crap that wrecks city infrastructure on a daily basis (and is the reason why my mc in his Moriarty alter-ego unmaks as many of the caped morons as he possibly can, with one notable exception. It’s also the reason why his alter-ego is probably also using his articles to advocate for mandatory testing and registration of all super-powered individuals at birth. In addition to just exposing their identities one at a time.) I’m sure Nickleport’s politicians aren’t that much worse than some of our RL ones.

1 Like

Suddenly, the Pit becomes run by Big Brother.

Welcome to 1984 everyone, we’ve got good pancakes and lots of heroes with dramatic tension and public property damage.

Thank you! Will do! :smile:

Hey, I mean, that is technically the point of an alias!

Nickelport needs better infrastructure.

But that’s all a pipe dream.

Hmmm…

Okay, well, Jacob is the easiest because he’s already in law school for this very purpose. His dream mainly revolves around prosecution, although admittedly he’s a bit of a dreamer so his idea of being a lawyer is a lot more… interesting than the reality of it all. (A lesson he’s quickly learned although still refuses to completely accept.) As for how he would react? Well, he’s the kind to throw himself into whatever it is he’s doing, so he’d completely and totally dedicate himself to whatever court case he’s in, no matter how minor.

It’s hard for me to see Eileen or Raf as lawyers. They’re far too… empathetic? They’d always feel bad about whoever was on the other side. They’d have to be union lawyers- representing something that they could completely get behind where they’re not really fighting against another person but instead some kind of company or policy.

Finley would also fall into this category, but for different reasons. Their motivation for being some kind of ‘worker’s rights’ lawyer wouldn’t be a ‘fight for the people’ mentality and more of a ‘fight against corporate corruption and manipulation of laborers’ reasoning.

Ricky would be… well, honestly if Ricky wasn’t a politician he’d be a lawyer. That’d be his backup plan. He’s good with loopholes. He’d probably be the guy on the other side of Raf/Eileen’s case, the one defending the big companies and such.
So, in other words, Ricky would still be Ricky.

If Informant is a lawyer it sure ain’t a public court case.
Details are classified.

Yolanda would be a celebrity’s attorney. She’d defend the glamorous stars and starlets accused of scandal. She’d be the kind of name you see in the papers often due to her defendants’ reputations.

Lucy would become a prosecutor, then be fired by the law firm pretty quickly.
She doesn’t really have the patience for those kind of things.
That being said, she’d make one helluva police officer, so she could still enforce the law that way.

Likewise… well, okay, Likewise is the one person who I just could not see being a lawyer at all.
Because even if Likewise wasn’t a villain, they’d still need a lawyer 90% of the time.

(On an aside, this is perhaps the strangest, but also perhaps the most interesting, headcannon situation that’s come up so far. And now I can’t stop thinking of some kind of Ace Attorney-style Model Citizens game, as the last of… however many books this encompasses, with all the characters in court for one reason or another.)

Well, if you’re counting the one at the beginning of the book…

Probably somewhere around 5.

I mean, one of Nickelport’s most active villains is an arsonists with a penchant for explosives. (You are talking about the woman who coined her villain-name after a man who’s counted among the “fathers of the atomic bomb”. It’s given that her personality is a little… explosive.)

You’re probably right.
Which is also probably not the best for Nickelport as a thriving metropolis :sweat_smile:

Honestly? I’m gonna have to agree with you there.

Though, didn’t think I’d say that.
Here I made Nickelport’s politics as a caricature of the cliche corrupt politician figures so often found in comic books…
And to think that the caricature is close to reality.

At least they’ve got powers and heroes. Sure, it causes tons of destruction and is probably a major safety hazard… but it’d be interesting.

5 Likes

Funny thing is politicians can both do the wrong thing for the right reasons (I personally believe Reagan’s motivation behind Reaganomics were sincere enough, never mind their disastrous effects in practice) and, more interestingly, do the right thing for all the wrong reasons. Which is probably why the nominally left of center (by US standards) Frank Underwood may be a better president than Trump.
If Ricky cares about his legacy he may be too, and it is surprising what amounts of corruption some can get away with while doing so. So long as some of his policies are both seen to and probably actually benefit the community the community is quite often willing to turn a blind eye to some other dealings.

1 Like

You know at this point I’d better start watching House of Cards. Sounds very interesting and increasingly relevant to America’s current political climate. (Also reminds me of the movie “The Ides of March”).

Well, that definitely fits Ricky.

I guess the only difference here would be that the vast majority of Nickelport truly and honestly believes that Ricky isn’t corrupt. I mean, that was the whole reason the MC was original assigned the case on him- it was supposed to be an obvious dead end because of course Ricky Dempsey would never do anything so double-faced as have an affair…

Ricky cares a lot for his image. And his image is a kind, honest, caring man out to stop corruption. Not influence to his own needs.

No, never…

1 Like

Just belatedly realized the city’s name sounds like a brand of cigarettes.

1 Like

Huh, I never thought of that. But, yeah, I could see it.

Funny story, “Nickelport” was originally the name of a port town I came up with for a fantasy book I wrote… uh… maybe two years ago? I never finished it, but it was written on a bit of a dare by a friend to “write something serious with a happy, childish tone”.

And I thought that Nickelport sounded like something out of a fairytale so I took it and ran with it. The book was never finished (I didn’t have much else to go off of other than a dare), but I enjoyed the city that I created so I took a lot of aspects of it (including the name) and repurposed it for Model Citizens.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool any chance you’ll revisit that version of Nickelport in the future?

1 Like

Maybe?

I’m never sure with my old stories. Sometimes they disappear off into the void forever and other times… well, other times they pop back up because a new idea struck me and suddenly they’re my two main projects. :sweat_smile:

So, yeah, there’s a chance that one day, when I’m done with both of these, that it’ll come back. (Have to rename the town, though, now that Nickelport is here). We’ll have to wait and see, y’know? Model Citizens and Icarus Sun come first.

1 Like

Meh, I would’ve voted for John McAfee if he’d gotten the Libertarian nomination, although I wouldn’t call him a politician.

My Mutant Registration Act senses are tingling, time for my MC to start digging up dirt on politicians that support it. Just because my MC holds a grudge against Raf and other powered people because of Raf’s secret keeping ways doesn’t mean they don’t feel conflicted with what they’re doing. They would likely try to avoid outright revealing the person’s identity, but would anonymously let the person’s friends and family know that the person is a super villain/hero.

Nickelport needs a better everything.

Is it really though? Ricky is currently in MC’s pocket, as long as that doesn’t change MC could theoretically change that.

Lucy as a police officer and a super villain, throw in super hero too and that would be a funny situation. “Hey, Finn, guess what? My ex is a police officer, super villain, and a super hero.”

Your welcome. :stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously everyone would be in a long, complicated court case where they’re all witnesses for and against each other. Let’s face it, Jacob isn’t going to be a lawyer in the end and none of these characters are going to be lawyers and they’re all going to be in court for some reason or another. On the bright side the case would definitely go down in history for something.

Okay, so how many non-arsonist related explosions? I think MC should’ve been at least involved in one even if it was a school science project gone wrong.

1 Like

Well, I can argue that the one thing Nickelport doesn’t need better of is crime.

Nickelport has really good crime. Half of its criminals are super villains and their lackeys after all!

Yeah, but remember Ricky is still one man. An incredibly powerful by Nickelportian power standards man, yes, but there’s many, many more politicians who are predisposed a bit… differently than the MC, and no amount of blackmail towards Ricky could change their minds. Which could pose some roadblocks.

Finley would probably just sigh and say, “Of course she is.”

Probably for blowing up the court room.

Because with that many powered personalities in one room you can bet somethings gonna go off, accidentally or purposefully.

I’d bet that half of the MCs people play would be the type to have accidentally blown up the school gym once or twice. (A thing that almost happened in my middle school when they accidentally hit a gas line, funnily enough. It was also winter, and I was in PE, so we were in shorts and t-shirts when they ushered us all outside for fear that the entire place would go up in flames. Not my fondest memory.)

Hmm… non-arsonist explosions?

Well… probably one or two. I can imagine they’ve been in a lot more collapsed buildings than anything, but those are more likely from heroes crashing through metal support-beams at speeds beyond that of any modern automobile.

2 Likes

I mean what would better crime be in Nickelport? Alien criminals? Extra dimensional criminals? The Joker?

1 Like

Which is why my mc would eventually like to work together with Ricky, without the blackmail (and in more ways than one) in order to clear those roadblocks. :wink:

You forget cute, clever and sexy too, I hope.

1 Like

Nickelport’s crime rate is still subpar, I’m afraid we might have to cut criminal funds if the crime rate doesn’t climb.

It would be a shame if something were to happen to politicians that aren’t on board with MC’s agenda. MC is also a crime boss now.

Aww, Finley should show a little more surprise.

I’d imagine there’s going to be a lot of hair pulling, yelling, fighting, and the judge trying, in vain, to bring order to the court.

If the gym had blown up you wouldn’t have been cold, it’s rather inconsiderate of the gym and gas line.

I think MC should be responsible for more explosions.

MC just can’t stay out of mortal danger, can they?

This is what MC needs to do, channel their inner Joker and become the villain Nickelport needs and deserves.

2 Likes

All fantastic ideas!

Those, or maybe Godzilla, or giant robots, or maybe an apocalypse.

See, we’ve gotta start putting public funding towards these things, or else they’re just never gonna happen.

Nickelport has a new leader. All bow down to James Moriarty.

Haha, no, but, if I’m being serious, there’s definitely gonna be the opportunity for the MC to try and influence the political aspects of Nickelport.

Also, I’m now trying to picture how, if your MC and Ricky went to meet his parents, the conversation of “so how did you two meet?” would go.

Because the answer of, “Ah, yes, we met after I found your son committing adultery under the, rather ridiculous, alias of Alfonse Silver and then blackmailed him to keep him as a resource under my thumb.” probably won’t be winning any parental approvals.

Considering the fact that he was a rather successful playboy and managed to hide it from the media for quite a while I’d say those are all fair adjectives to use.

See! This is why we need people like @avidreader on the board! I mean, aliens? Brilliant! We need Martha on it, ASAP. How much money can we divert from the orphan’s fund to our Alien Outreach Program?

In other words, MC is one of Nickelport’s prominent politicians.

With the stuff they’ve seen and done? Surprise is a distant memory, faded into sepia and lost under the dust in the attic somewhere.

Everyone needs to go to Divorcee’s Club and eat some of Eileen’s homemade brownies to calm down.

I know. Gas lines these days just have no sense of decorum. How barbaric!

The MC is probably responsible for more explosions than they realize.

If they could then they wouldn’t have a job.

4 Likes

I have a solution… i can let mr frank Horrigan loose on the city :grinning: see here he is now…

slowley walks away umm have fun

1 Like

This is a great start! I loved going through this, and will keep an eye on it!

1 Like

Well for starters I’d like to see the look on their faces when their son brings another man home for that, since he was previously only known as a womanizer, right? :grin:
As for the story, well they’re both good lairs, I assume they would have made up and rehearsed a likely story, probably bar or interview beforehand.

1 Like

Wow this sounds very interesting! Superhero stories are always great if done right and playing as one of the ordinary people is a new take on it. Will read the demo and give feedback :smiley:

1 Like

See! This is the kind of thinking we need on the city council.

Thank you so much! I’m so happy you enjoyed it!

Well, now, that’d also be quite the interesting moment with them. Not exactly what they were expecting with their son’s track record.

Some kind of super-spy-style cover up going on, they’ve got fake photos and everything to make sure that any loopholes are covered up so that nobody will find out how they actually met.

Thank you so much!

I love superhero stories, too, which is partially why I wanted to try my hand at one! (Or, well… kind of one. A story with superheroes :sweat_smile:).

I hope you have fun with it!

1 Like

Exactly, all of the greatest relationships are based on lies (and hot guys and awesome nocturnal activities). :grin: It puts them right over the edge of that bit of self-knowledge dr. House so like to spout: “everybody lies”.
And really would you expect anything less than a (near) perfect cover story from people like my mc and Ricky?

1 Like