Model Citizens: Unmasked (WIP - Update March 11, 2022)

Now, @RenaB answered for V collectively. Vincent’s cooking probably tastes decent once you get past the charring and it probably won’t poison you. Vera’s looks great and tastes bad, but at least her chance of poisoning you is only a maybe. Vega’s doesn’t look too great, tastes amazing, and absolutely will kill you. If you put them together and you get one pretty decent cook :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I had an answer for this but…

This is it. This is now cannon. It’s official.

It does make me wonder about, since we’re going with the whole ‘they’re all actually siblings’ thing, what a family dinner would be like…

Yes.

Thats a handy list to keep.

I never said the cats weren’t also murderous. It’d be weird if they were the ones that weren’t. It’s just…

Everything is.

Heck, even the buildings have this nasty tendency to crush people underneath them after being knocked over.

9 Likes

:smiley:

I’d imagine it would look something like a cross between an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen and a Quentin Tarantino film :fire:

1 Like

Pulp Kitchen

… Or Sin Kitchen (or Cutthroat City)

3 Likes

Okay, you are making me love The Informant even more now.

1 Like

I would like to thank Cthulhu-- wrong speech, my bad. Ahem. Finally! My evil plans have come to fruition and your heroes have failed… yeah, that’s all I got. I’m not actually an evil speech person, I mean how many times does that leave an opening for heroes to win? And if I’m going to be a villain I’d like to break the mold. I don’t want to be like every single villain in existence…
(Am I a relatable villain yet?)

Not when that list is in your head and the clutter in said head would make a hoarder jealous. :stuck_out_tongue:

If everything is murderous then nothing is murderous. Logic.

Do they really need to be knocked over to crush people? Can’t they decide to spontaneously fall without anyone causing it?

2 Likes

Just a quick one:
Is the name bound to be changed? (sorry if I missed this elsewhere). People are ALREADY mixing this up with Hero Unmasked (which in turn gets mixed up with Heroes Rise by some (granted, only people who haven’t played either yet))

2 Likes

Just doing my job.

Yes. Congratulations.

That might, indeed, make it a less handy list to keep.

They used to but then the city decided to ban it.

Too much construction cleanup cost.

There’s been some discussion about that (it was a fairly long time ago so don’t worry about missing it!). A while ago I actually asked if I should change it but I was told it’d probably be fine considering the fact that A) This one won’t be out for a fairly long while and by then there will have been some space between the two. B) The tones, plots, and themes are pretty vastly different. and C) Once this does come out it’ll also have it’s own cover art like all HGs/CoGs which will distinguish it as well.

However, I am still open to the subject of a name change. It’s been something I’ve been keeping in the back of my mind ever since one person gratulated me on having this being published soon and I had a brief moment of extreme confusion before checking the what was then ‘coming soon’ page and seeing that The Hero Unmasked had been listed.

I’ve seen a lot less confusion considering The Hero Unmasked has been published already and this one is clearly still a work in progress. So I’m hoping that maybe I won’t have to but like I said, there are options I’ve been keeping in the back of my mind. And if it turns out that’s what’s best, then that’s what’s best. (There’s also been some very helpful suggestions by others that I’ve added to my little notes on possible name changes, which I’m very grateful for!)

I hope that answers your question/assuages any worry!

1 Like

As said, people already confuse HeUn and HR, two games with very, very different tones and plots. (One case in question, a friend of mine wanted to get HeUn and got confused ‘because there’s four parts’. Had to clear up that what they bought is HR. )

People tend to look for, well, keywords when looking something up in the stores, so there will be only more confusion down the line I presume if the name stays :confused:

2 Likes

Which is why I’m still debating it. However, there’s also the fact that both the Heroes Rise series and The Hero Unmasked are CoGs, while Model Citizens would be an HG. So there’s another degree of separation to account for. (Especially since, at least I’ve noticed on the AppStore, HGs and CoGs tend not to appear together.)

As of right now, I’m feeling more confident than questioning when it comes to the many degrees of separation that exist and will continue to grow between The Hero Unmasked and Model Citizens, people would be able to distinguish the two as separate entities.

I’d wanted to wait until after The Hero Unmasked was published to see if the confusion persisted and if more people approached me thinking that the two were the same. So far, I’ve seen none, so while that is, of course, still an option in my mind, it’s not one I’m going to take right this moment.

Keep also in mind that Model Citizens: Unmasked is in its very, very early stages. There’s plenty of time between now and when it’s finished and ready to be sent off into the world. So as of the present, I would rather focus on polishing and working on the story itself. And if somewhere down the line a different name fits the story better, then a different name will be chosen regardless.

But like I said before, it’s a decision I’m still considering. It’s one that I would like to wait and see and play around with before I settle on any one, final thing. I thank you for your concern and assure you once more that it is still on the table, but I’m going to let it sit there for a while before I decide what’s best for Model Citizens as a whole.

8 Likes

Eh, by experience it might not matter at all just how much difference there is.
As said, people are ALREADY confusing the games. All the diffs in tone, plot and publisher won’t do.

Like, look at the author of dryad. With the release of Academy, they are considering changing the title of a current WIPs of theirs to avoid possible confusion. And their WIP bears the same amount of differences to Academy.
And look, I see ‘Grand Academy for future Villains’ get shortened to Academy pretty often actually, while the other game’s working title is ‘Villains’.
In the case here, both games will likely be shortened to ‘Unmasked’ amongst other thing. People will unlikely go into details about plot, tone and publisher every time.

1 Like

Which is why I’m taking into account that Model Citizens: Unmasked is still in its very early stages, and why I’d like to wait and see if anyone approaches me thinking that they are the same. Yet as of so far, I’ve had no one approach me since The Hero Unmasked has been published, which is a fairly hopeful sign. Still, there’s time to see how it plays out, which is why I’d like to wait and take the time to see before rushing into any decision.

As for Avery_Moore’s decision, that is, simply, their (her? his? I’m afraid I’m not familiar with their pronouns,) decision, with their own reasoning and thought process behind it. As a result I cannot speak to their decision-making process, or simply decision in general.

As for how people shorten it, again I cannot speak to the decisions of others. I know, personally, I shorten it to Model Citizens, and I’ve seen a few others do so as well, so if that trend also picks up then there’s yet another degree of separation there. But that is a hypothetical, so, once more, I cannot speak to speculations.

And most of my decisions now would be based upon speculation since, as I stated, Model Citizens is in its very early stages. Whether it be speculation that people will not mix them up, or speculation that people will mix them up- I would rather wait and observe what happens as I have the ability to do so, and make a more informed decision later down the line. So far, the evidence I’ve seen and heard has directed me towards not changing the name, which is why it remains the same for now. Should that evidence change down the line, so will the name. Either way, I’d like to wait for more information before making any decision.

I suppose I should also reiterate that I asked quite a while ago if I should change the name, I was told that I could if I wanted to, but that it was most likely not going to be a problem- due to many of the factors I’ve listed here. I really do hope at least some of this alleviates some of the worry you’ve expressed, and that you can rest assured that it is still something I am considering in great detail- but that the details to consider have yet to be fully laid out, and that I’d rather see what happens with time and watchful observation.

7 Likes

I think we should respect RenaB’s decision not to change the name as of right now. The name of the story really does not matter as much as the content.

I honestly have no trouble distingusing the two. One is Hero Unmasked and the other is Model Citizens (with a secondary title of Unmasked).

Words like academy, villain, and unmasked are common words. Especially in stories that involve academies or villains or superheroes. No one has a monopoly on those words.

To sum up what I’m trying to say; RenaB has already expressed that they won’t change the title (as of now) and we should respect that rather than arguing.

12 Likes

I’d lik to apologise for coming across as antagonizing Rena. I’m sorry and I respect your decision.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Lorikeet. I continue to hope that others will also have no trouble distinguishing the two. Thank you!

You’re fine, so don’t worry about it! I hope that I have at least sufficiently explained why I am still considering it as an option, but as of the foreseeable future will not be changing the name.

Have a lovely day!

On a brighter note, one thing I had meant to ask yesterday that slipped my mind is something that I have been considering for a while now but was recently reminded of with the cooking question.

I was wondering if, perhaps, it would be better to create something of a… social media page for questions that people have but believe are either too small or too specific to ask here. I’ve seen quite a few others who do things like this and have considered doing it myself but considering my general lack of social media knowledge wasn’t sure it’d be a viable option. Still, never learn if you don’t try, yeah?

So, taking all this into account, I was wondering if this seemed an attractive option to you all, and if so, then if anyone had any suggestions for what would be easiest for others to create. Like I said before my skill with social media is… lackluster so I’m not quite sure which platform would be most suitable?

8 Likes

The author of Wayhaven answers questions on their tumblr sometimes and SOS: Mortal Coil (I think that’s the name) has its own tumblr blog so maybe you could try that. Tumblr would allow easy organization and let people ask questions anonymously

A few authors like Zachary Sergi also have twitters

7 Likes

Well, the writer of Wayhaven chronicles has a Tumblr and answers questions about the characters, their reactions to certain scenarios etc. just like the cooking question or dressing style you answered before in thia forum. I would recommend this method since the site can be also used for personal interests like fanart, fan fiction etc. Otherwise, the website ask.fm is a good idea just for questions (unfortunately, formspring has shut down :frowning: ) but that’s up to you :slight_smile:
Personally I don’t mind coming here and asking questions (since this forum allows me to explore other topics and wips) but I’m just one lass x3

2 Likes

OMG WE THINK ALIKE MY FELINE FRIEND :open_mouth:
Buuut Twitter is not suitable for this type of QnA (curse you word limit)

1 Like

Meh, I’m obviously not a big fan of that as I’m rather social media deficient and thus tend to miss out on anything discussed there.

2 Likes

Hmm… okay, looks like Tumblr is probably the main one to consider, then.

I’m also really horrible with social media, and generally not a fan of it for myself, but I was thinking about ways to organize smaller questions or, even, a nice way to store a lot of the little extra not-directly-related-to-the-main-plot bits and pieces that have gathered up over time and currently just sorta sit in my notes. Stuff like fake Rust articles about heroes that I’ve written as a format for developing characters, who now won’t be appearing because they just didn’t really make the final cut. (Or may be mentioned later on, since most of them don’t exactly go into the kinda things you’ll be learning in-text, it’d only be for minor characters though).

If nothing else it’d be a fun way to store extra information that has been written but, due to revisions and structuring, probably won’t be revealed in-text or have any significant impact on the overall story, but are just tiny things I wrote up way back when to develop this li’l city here.

But I probably wouldn’t be putting a lot in there- might occasionally check it outside of putting stuff like that up for the smaller questions that people think are too small to ask on the forum. So I don’t think you’d miss out on much related to the actual game itself. :smile:

Alrighty, so, I decided to give this a go and see how it works or if it crashes and burns. (Which honestly it could go either way). I’m still testing the waters (haven’t even really worked out an icon, even), but it’s up and there’s one test up there now with a Nickelport Rust article and a preemptive FAQ all worked out.

Here’s to seeing how it goes.

Cheers!

12 Likes