Model Citizens: Unmasked (WIP - Update March 11, 2022)

The cookie helps. I’m going through Lucy withdrawal right now.

5 Likes

Me too! trying to breath Lucyyyy I need you!!

4 Likes

Well, I’m certainly very glad you did! :grin:

Luckily for you I can confidently say that it doesn’t have to do with the ex. Seeing as Ricky has no idea the MC was married at one time and also doesn’t know about the MC’s real job he won’t ask for anything to do with the Ex or their villainous double-identity.

Though I agree, if he did, that would be very… awkward.

It’s okay, you’ll see her relatively soon. She’s probably just busy punching someone in the jaw right now.

… Although I am curious- though I have a general idea of who wants to romance who from what you’ve all stated here- I’m wondering which RO it is people are mostly gunning for. (My guess is that it’s either of the two Exes, since they’re the two I see talked about the most).

So, for the sake of my own curiosity, I set this up:

• Divorced Lucy
  • Divorced Raf
  • Lucy
  • Raf
  • Ricky
  • Yolanda
  • Jacob
  • Informant
  • Eileen
  • Likewise
  • Finley
  • Nobody
0 voters

Obviously I realize the poll might be a little skewed since you’ve only had minor/zero interaction with some of the ROs. But I’m just kinda curious what it is now- and then maybe I’ll reference this poll again after we’ve finished Case One and you’ve had more time with all of the ROs. See how it changes! :grin:

5 Likes

How many RO you actually plan to have?

1 Like

That’s pretty much all of them right there. Though I doubled Raf/Lucy’s since their romances (and just general interactions) differ depending on whether or not you were married to them.

4 Likes

:anguished: …That really many

1 Like

Yep! Haha, :sweat_smile: I realize it’s gonna be a lot of work but part of the sorta mentality behind this game is to not hold back at all. It’s my test-dummy for all sorta experiments with code and story- including ROs.

But, I’m excited! I think it’ll be fun. :grin:

5 Likes

The coding must be horror… But as long you enjoy and not push yourself, we all will always support you here :grinning:

1 Like

So we all mostly want Lucy. But can I get more more info on who Yolanda and Eileen is? Especially Eileen since we don’t have much information about her and her connection to mc. :blush:

3 Likes

Aw, geez, thanks! Honestly, I know my skills with code (and probably writing too, haha) probably aren’t quite up to par but… you never get any better if you don’t practice and stretch yourself, right?

And, most of all, I enjoy it! I love the challenge and the whole reason I fell in love with interactive fiction so long ago was because of how cool the idea of reading an almost entirely different story the second time around was! So… I kinda wanted to create what I loved. Want to- still. Which is why even if the work is daunting, I’m excited to tackle it! :grin:

Shocking to see who’s at the top of the list :stuck_out_tongue:

Info on Yolanda and Eileen? Sure! Happy to supply!

Hmm… since I’ve already done a tiny bit on both their appearance and personality… I guess I can delve a little bit deeper into their backstory without spoiling any major/plot important bits?

Yolanda - Yolanda is a born and raised Nickelportian woman. She’s spent her entire life surrounded by the bustling city and witnessed the glitz and glamor of Nickelport’s neon district come to be. Which is exactly why she’s so fond of it- she was a big player when it was all just getting started, and is one of the few people accredited for its current status as the ‘place to be’, which also speaks to her business-savvy nature. The entire district is like a child to her, with Chat Blanc itself being her favorite kid in a way, haha. She makes it a point to know and be known by everyone she can. And if you ever get lost in Nickelport then, well, she’s certainly the woman to go to. She knows this city like the back of her hand, and has studied its intricacies more than… pretty much anyone. Yolanda grew up with a mom and dad, and two younger sisters. Her grandmother actually also used to live with them before she passed away. The big family helped with her work’s need to be near constantly social and charming.

Eileen - I find it funny that you asked for Yolanda and Eileen… 'cause in a way they’re exact opposites when it comes to backstory. While Yolanda grew up in the middle of the urban lifestyle- Eileen did not. Eileen, for almost her entire life, has lived in a small town. The kind where everybody knows everybody, the nearest city is a day’s drive, and if nobody shows up for the neighborhood BBQ then they can expect a solid twenty gift baskets (Eileen made one or two of those) at their doorstep and several worried phone calls making sure they didn’t slip into a coma. Eileen’s family was especially known, however- for reasons I can’t quite state. But I will say that she spent most of her life with people showing up at her family’s doorstep to ask for help. And as a result, spent most of her life helping others or watching her father help others. She hadn’t ever really been out of the town for an extended period of time before moving to Nickelport (even her college was nearby), which has sorta led to the ‘fish-outta-water’ feeling she carries now. But! She’s determined to make this work. And won’t let anything stand in her way! Eileen’s family was very, very small. Just her and her dad.

6 Likes

What can you tell about Lucy’s past and family? Did the MC met her parents? If yes, what they think of the MC?

2 Likes

Fun fact- this is actually gonna be part of the upcoming optional flashback bit!

Sadly, this means I can’t say much as you’re going to get to experience it for yourself fairly soon. But I’ll say what I can:

Lucy is similar to Eileen in that she only had her father around for most of her life. Unlike Eileen, however, Lucy did actually know her mother- she sadly passed away before the MC could meet her, however. (The name ‘Lucille’ comes from her mother.) As for meeting her father- The MC did meet her father- as for what he thinks of the MC? Well… That depends- mostly on whether or not the MC and Lucy were married for love or convenience. His first impression of the fact that Lucy was married, however, was a happy one. He didn’t really think Lucy was going to settle down any time soon so his base impression of the MC is a positive one.

As for her past- Lucy spent her childhood with her father and mother, no siblings but she did have a dog for a while. They grew up out in the countryside for a long while but when Lucy’s mother passed away her father moved them all to the city (not Nickelport in this case, a different city). Lucy missed being around nature and being free to, well, move around without having worry about going out in the dark or being on her own, so she always held some bit of resentment for the city she moved to. Which meant that whenever she could- she left. She was outta there faster than you could blink and spent a lot of time just traveling, going from place to place and living where she could. A lot of these times were with friends or extended family, so she spent a lot of time away from her father in her younger years, and most of the time she did spend with him she was just waiting for the next opportunity to get out which… has had some impact on their relationship. And you’ll see some of the effects of that in the flashback.

You may even get to effect her relationship with her dad… But I can’t say anything more for spoilers. :grin:

10 Likes

I wish I could ask more about likewise but, I figure that would be well into spoiler territory. So I’ll settle for asking about Ricky’s past if you can spare any details.

3 Likes

Hmm… While you’re mostly correct I could probably say a little something about Likewise as well…

Oh! I do have a series of random bits in my notes (because I spend too much time on these characters, haha), none of which will ever actually come up in text but they were fun little ideas that made it into my own notes about the characters, and here’s one about Likewise:

Likewise used to have a pet bird. Given to them by their mother as it was hers for a long time, but eventually she passed it on with the intention of using it to teach a young Likewise about responsibility and care. Likewise absolutely adored said bird, and birds are now their favorite animal.

So… there you go! Nothing particularly substantial but one of the fun random tidbits I have and it doesn’t verge into spoiler territory! :grin:

Ricky, however, I can safely say more about without verging into either random tidbit territory or spoiler territory.

So here’s a bit about Ricky:

Ricky spent a lot of time alternating between living with his dad and living with his mom, so he grew up in two different places, really. His time spent with his father and his father’s wife was in Nickelport- and this is probably where he spent most of his time since that’s where he went to school. He spent his summers with his mother, mostly, and she lived outside of Nickelport in a more suburban neighborhood near a separate city (he got good at sleeping on planes at a young age, a skill which has come in handy with his political lifestyle). His time spent between the two was also very different not only in placement, but lifestyle as well. With his father and step-mother- he was an only child, but with his mother, he had two siblings- one younger and one older. Funnily enough, he ended up being closest with his step-mother out of all his parents- she was always the most supportive and kindest out of all of them. Ricky didn’t have any reluctance when it came to his father remarrying, as his biological parents divorced when he was very young, so he doesn’t really have any memory of them ever not being split. It was funny, though, because if you were to ask a younger him if he was an only child he’s not entirely sure what to answer as on one hand (and in one family house)- yes, he is… but on another hand (and in another family house)- no, he isn’t. Now he just answers that he’s not an only child.

3 Likes

Almost all are. Yolanda and Jacob are homosexual, so they’re only available to MCs of the same gender. Ricky is… a special case. He’s available to MCs of all genders but a non-female MC is going to have a different romance with him since he’s questioning his sexuality.

I guess I should also mention that Eileen is asexual- but she’s panromantic so she’s available to any MC no matter their gender.

Oh that’s neat! :smile: I’m glad you like him so much. He’s very fun to write.

5 Likes

Ah, thank you so much!

You definitely should! Coding scares me too (I’m much more of a… classic writer than anything else) but you never know! Even if you’re just doing it for fun or to try something new, it’s worth it to just… dabble in it and see how much you like it! It’s fun to experiment with and try out new things and see what you can do! So, if you want, then I’d say go for it! :grin:

2 Likes

Before I started, I was really intimidated by the coding, too.
Now, I prefer it to the actual writing, and constantly find myself procrastinating by writing this or that piece of coding, that I will need for one of my WIPs, when I should be progressing the story.

1 Like

Ahhh, all this talk about things to come is getting me hyped!
(Just read through all the posts since I last checked the thread.)

1 Like

Well, that’s what I’m here to do! :wink:

(Which is actually not true, really. What I’m really here to do is write something. And that something may even, with any luck, make someone somewhere have as much fun reading it as I do writing it.)

But, either way- I’m glad you’re excited!

Ohh nice. Are there any snippets of Yolanda and the mc that you are willing to share with us? Something like the ones you did for the exes :wink:. I always play a female mc so I’m interested in Lucy and Yolanda. Though I’m still debating on who to romance :joy:

2 Likes