Model Citizens: Unmasked (WIP - Update March 11, 2022)

Weird. Must be.

Should probably clarify, this isn’t a “present day” thing, but part of the next available flashback that you have the chance to encounter in the upcoming update. It’s made clear in-text but I realized that the bit I took a screenshot of doesn’t include the bit that makes it clear.

12 Likes

Ahhh!!! Until I read the spoiler I was like YES FINALLY! My hopes have been raised and crushed :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ah, Lizzy, Lizzy, don’t you know? Crushing your hopes is exactly what I’m here for! :wink:

Haha, but in all seriousness, there’s gonna be a few more flashbacks (like three or four required ones/ones that everyone gets, maybe more, and definitely some that are optional like the example above) before you run into the Ex in present-day, so that you can establish how they’re gonna react to seeing you again.

'Cause they’ll either be really, really happy to see you again…

Or really, really angry.

Or somewhere between. (Or something entirely different, who knows? :grin: )

6 Likes

Well of that I have no doubt :wink: I hope she’s happy to see me, what goes through my head every time I think of the reunion:

Me: “Lucy I’m so happy to see you, please take me back, I love you!”
Lucy: “Then why did you divorce me?”
Me: “I don’t know, the story hasn’t gotten that far! :sob:

7 Likes

I mean, if anyone has the capacity to break the 4th wall it’s probably the MC.

So, uh, gonna maybe break my “no spoiler” rule here so I’ll keep it vague but, y’know, fun fact- MC wasn’t responsible for the divorce. :smiley:

18 Likes

20 Likes

No!!! You can’t do this to me Rena! This opens so many possibilities! So many theories and questions and now I’ll be thinking about it all week AGH! Shoot. I’m sensing possible complications with getting back together with your divorcee later in the story if they were the one to break it off then :cry: But you said not responsible for the divorce. So I don’t know. Did the divorcee insist/initiat it? Better yet, did the divorcee regret their decision afterwards and now look forward/actively seek out the MC so they can rectify their mistakes…Please let it be so… :cry:
Maybe Lucy/Raf thought they couldn’t commit to the relationship what with their nightly activities and insisted on a divorce? Most likely that the MC got injured as a result of their activities and they didn’t want MC to get hurt and insisted on divorce (best case scenario) in which case I will in-game smack both of them for daring to break up with my poor MC. She is perfectly capable of defending herself, thank you very much.
On another note, Eileen has been on my mind and I don’t know why; I feel like she has more of an active job, since you said her job was opposite of her peaceful personality. Ideas are;
Detective, Journalist, Police Officer, Secretary, Clerk, Baker, Some kind of government job? etc. Also, I swear to Cthulhu Almighty if it turns out that the divorcee’s were the ones that divorced the MC, and then Lucy/Raf DARES to get jealous/‘oh come back to me MC I love you :heart_eyes:’ I will personally expose them to the world. (not that either seems the type to do that, either out of pride or personality lol)

Anyway, Congrats, you have conflicted my heart once again. Why do you do this to me Rena :sob:
This game really makes me think. I have some theories about the Red light case too, but I’ll post that at another time. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Yay! More Ricky. :heart_eyes:

No problem, thank you for crafting an awesome game, especially Ricky since he seems to be a first in his category.

How kind you are, while my mc is far less amicable towards Raf these days. Apart from keeping his secret no matter what. But that’s mainly because it getting out is just as dangerous to my mc and what he is trying to do.

Hmm…considering how my mc feels about metahumans, he probably wasn’t exactly a fan of them before the divorce either, so…I guess that divorce was pretty much inevitable.

3 Likes

So…this whole time…my sweet Lucy…left me???
proceeds to cry his heart out

2 Likes

6 Likes

@RenaB

Aw come on I just got back I dont need a feels train like this before the update is up!!!:sob:

9 Likes

So I’ll answer everything right away but first- I gotta say- I checked back here while in a public place and you people made me want to laugh really hard with all these theories and reactions and I honestly didn’t expect this to be the thing that surprises everyone. Which only made it even more funny to me.

But it meant I had to hold my laughter in because I was in public.

That… didn’t really work out as planned. :sweat_smile:

Between the bold and the three exclamation points all I heard in my head was this.

My evil plans have come to fruition!

You’re correct, I did say, specifically, that the MC was not responsible for the divorce. :wink:

As for who initiated it/whether or not the Ex regrets it… Well, I can’t quite say. First of all because- spoilers- and second of all because it’s really gonna depend on how your marriage went.

I mean, it is fully possible that the two of you could have hated each other during the entirety of the marriage… And were more forced into it via circumstance. So… yeah.

I guess the one thing I can say and still be suitable vague and frustrating about would be this- Lucy and Raf each have very, very different ways of dealing with the aftereffects of the divorce. Which, I guess, kinda goes without saying b-u-t you’ll see what I mean when you learn… more. :wink:

:woman_shrugging:

Spoilers. :grin:

Though I do love hearing people’s theories… so who knows? Maybe I’ll drop some more hints before the good ole reveal.

I mean, Eileen on the mind is always a good thing.

Well, in one hand, her job is perfect for her personality, in another- she becomes an entirely different person while working and, you’re right, it’s definitely not peaceful. (I would know, I’ve spent a lot of time recently in the same environment as her workplace doing my own li’l work and hoo boy the people there just never, ever sit down.)

So I will say this- it’s not any of those. :smile:

There’s another reason they might not do that as well…

B-u-t can’t quite say why, now can I?

Why, thank you! I do it because it’s fun. I’m very sorry about conflicting your heart.

Yay! I’m glad it does! I wanted it to be fun for everyone who read it as well, kinda part-detective/mystery novel, part action/superhero story, and part romance if you want/character focused piece.

Also, yay, theories! I love theories, so I’d love to hear yours if you ever want to share!

I’m shocked! Here I obviously would’ve thought that’d be your least favorite part of the progress report. :grin:

Ah, geez, you flatter me.

But, yeah! I’m glad you like him. I’ll be sure to do my best with his story!

It’s gonna be interesting, especially for MCs like yours, to see what they think about some other bits and pieces of their past that’ll be introduced soon. Your attitude towards metahumans/those with powers is gonna greatly affect the story more as we get deeper into the story of the MC’s past.

Shh, shh, it’s all alright.

I was gonna say something more but it verged into more vague spoiler territory and I’ve done enough of that for today. So, I’m sorry, but take this cookie as an apology gift? :cookie:

Or maybe if cake’s more your thing? :cake:

What are you talking about, that’s the perfect time for a feels train!

7 Likes

I’ll take the cookie. But I just my Lucy back…:tired_face:

1 Like

You know, I think the reason Lucy broke it off with my MC is because, my MC played the “Luuucy, I’m home!” card one to many times

7 Likes

Is this a thing? Is this an actual thing? I’m a thousand times here for this being canon!

4 Likes

Elizabeth and the case of how to win back her ex wife :thinking:

For me there is no such thing as too many spoilers, I still enjoy things after I know what’s happening, in fact my go to movie is still Princess Bride when I write and often find myself speaking the lines unconsciously :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

How many ROs are there? The flashbacks and the phone number that MC still have their exes are so heartbreaking. :cry:

1 Like

@Umbreonpanda Here you go. Fortunately Ricky truly is pansexual now and my mc can bring him over to his team. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I still don’t understand why there isn’t any straight person.

2 Likes

Maybe try giving her the cookie? She doesn’t really like sweet foods though so…

Oh geez, I can certainly see how that would annoy her.

Haha! It’d be funny, for sure… But I’m not sure about how copyright would handle something like that… :sweat_smile:

Put your detective hats on. :female_detective:

True, true. I’m much the same way in that I sometimes read the ends of books first. (Though I’m doing my best not to do that anymore.)

Still, I have my no spoiler rule. And I must adhere to that… as painful as it may be sometimes.

Yay! They’ve accomplished their purpose, then.

I’m glad you like them! And, for the number of ROs @idonotlikeusernames hit it on the head, but-

-Also Likewise as well! (So a total of 10- I think.) :grin:

They were added in after that list was made, so Likewise isn’t in there.

Honestly? It just kinda turned out that way.

When it comes to creating characters… Well, things like the sexuality is something that is just kinda… how I see them? I’m not describing it well, am I?

Basically, my thought process for creating characters (and… sometimes writing as well, even) is that I like to pretend that they’re sitting across from me, telling me about they’re life- They become the narrators, and I’m just the one writing it down. So when it comes to stuff like their sexuality- well, I guess it comes up in passing “conversation” between the two of us. It’s a part of their story, sure, and how big a part of it varies from character to character (ex. Ricky vs. say, Yolanda. Ricky’s questioning of his sexuality can be a bigger part of his individual story, but for Yolanda- eh, not so much. She figured all that out long before. Now it’s just who she is, and she puts more focus into other things in life.)

(Which is actually another reason why I was so confused on what the heck Ricky’s sexuality is. He didn’t know, so I didn’t know, and therefore nobody knew so we just kinda went with that as the fact of the matter.)

As a result… well, it just kinda happened to be that the characters who I ended up “sitting down with” for this story weren’t straight. No real reason just… wasn’t who they are.

I think I said this before but I’m not entirely sure(??) so I’ll say it here again just in case I hadn’t- if I look in my original notes then, yeah, there were some romances who were straight… But there was also a whole lotta mess in that old version that ended up being cut out and I kept the people who were most important to the story- with some of them being merged together.

One of said people was sorta merged into Eileen’s story since her’s is much more important to the overarching plot and the other’s… wasn’t.

Not to say that there’s no straight characters in the story entirely- one of the heroes you’ll meet is straight.

Just… none of them were ROs. (Using the hero as an example again, because she’s a fair bit younger than the MC- and even if she wasn’t- she doesn’t play as big a role in the overall plot of Unmasked)

This explanation is probably too long, but I’m not sure I’m phrasing my thoughts correctly. :sweat_smile:

I guess the easiest way to sum it up is: :woman_shrugging: I dunno. Just kinda happened. Just who they (the ROs) are.

6 Likes