Minor fall, MAJOR LIFT - a WIP of an Interactive Fiction Piece in inkle's ink language!

On android lollipop.

I know you’re not planning to respond and I understand it wasn’t your intent to offend.

I just wanted to say that it is an issue that people do demand that LGBTQ content is given warnings that would not be given to heterosexual content. That your statement “I will not be forced into a homosexual romance. ever.” Felt to me like it was coming from that same place. That unless we provided warning labels, you were being forced to experience something against your wishes. The reality is that LGBTQ people are daily ‘forced’ (if we’re to use your word) to endure media that does not cater to them. That is overwhelmingly cis heterosexual and which erases their own identities.

So it’s a sensitive subject and one I’d hope you’d have some understanding of, especially if it wasn’t your intention to come across that way.

I did think you had some points about the lack of choice (I’d consider that just narrative style of this sort of story) and of confusing words that aren’t explained (again I took that as narrative style which fed into a feeling of disorientation to me which seemed to fit perfectly.)

@grrozny

I hope that I didn’t offend with my comments. It’s just too often it’s non schizophrenic people writing about schizophrenia, in ways that just seem to sensationalise it without too much accuracy. And often schizophrenic characters are only present as dangerous monsters, the antagonists, or violent and unpredictable.

I thought your story was very humanising, very relateable, if that makes sense? I’ll admit to not knowing too much about schizophrenia. I’ve read a little about it. I’ve only knowingly met one person who was schizophrenic.

I actually found myself choosing not to use the explore options or look at things because I am so conscious of how it’s perceived to other people. That I can spend too long focusing on things I shouldn’t be, or getting distracted, that it comes across as odd to others (at best), and rude at worst. That I can tune out of what people are saying because my mind’s suddenly wandered off elsewhere.

It felt like that explore option was a trap, if that makes sense? It’s something I usually don’t use in games. I like to stay focused on the active interactions, as opposed to passively absorbing everything around until I get lost in all of the words and forget what it was I was doing.

When I briefly tried the option, I kept expecting someone to call me out on it, but they never seemed to do so. Maybe say something about how much I was staring or that I was doing things wrong.

8 Likes

Ah, that might be our old friend Mobile Incompatibility rearing up its ugly head again. Let me cobble together a version that’s hopefully mobile-friendly! I’ll have it done in just a bit.

1 Like

You absolutely did not offend with your comments; I am very well aware of how schizophrenic characters are portrayed in the media and my goal with Lev was to offer a counterpoint, a humanising portrayal where he and his desires and life were centered by the narrative, rather than having him act as a feel-good prop for the neurotypical protagonists.

As for the other thing, my goal there was to emulate parser games, where you could spend some time faffing about examining the scenery and getting the lay of the land and finding useful items before moving on with the plot. I’m not entirely sure that approach has succeeded!

3 Likes

You will find a lot of readers here are on mobiles, I prefer my laptop but I am a truck driver so most times I am on mobile as wifi for my laptop in rare.

1 Like

My apologies for how ugly/hasty this is, but it’s the best I could do on short notice: Updated Link Hopefully Mobile-Compatible

1 Like

Nope sorry only getting Dropbox - File Deleted

I would take your time, no rush as we will still be here :smile:

According to my tech guy, apparently this is probably the fault of the JS port of ink. What precise device are you using? We might have to file a bug report.

Galaxy mage 2
(20 words)

That’s really strange, that’s a recent phone. Have you tried a different browser, like Firefox or Chrome? If at all possible?

You should try it some time. Broaden your horizons. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Regarding the game, I’m not generally into effeminate guys (either to play or to romance), but both Lev and Anzu are cute, and I’d quite like to see where this is going. :grin:

3 Likes

Ok it worked on chrome on my phone.

2 Likes

“Minor fall, major lift”? That’s a Hallelujah reference isn’t it?

1 Like

It is indeed! When I don’t have good ideas for game titles, I name them after songs.

Thank you!! Given how popular this thing is proving to be, I might start working on the full story this vignette is taken from, rather than finishing it. Keep an eye out on these forums, I guess?

3 Likes

I think, for me, due to the narrative style of the game, I really expected the people I was with to comment on the fact I was spending time examining things. Or even to comment on it myself. Or just a certain look from them, or something.

Not that I can think of any occasions when people do comment on it in games. It’s just if I’ve stared at a menu for a good five minutes, people usually start saying things to me, even if it’s just trying to fill in the silence! Or help me make up my mind! Or tell me to hurry up!

Although if I did it in a parser game, I wouldn’t expect that interface to care much.

Nonononono!!! Finish the vignette first! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Okay, okay. They’ll at least get to bone. And then I’m making the text-only prototype of the bitter thing.

2 Likes

Oh! Ha! No that’s not actually what I meant. :slight_smile: Just that it’s good to finish things before starting something new! I’m even good with complete fate to blacks and then “MONSTERS ATTACK!” or whatever.

1 Like

Nah, I figured. I’ll cap it off nicely so it can stand alone and then move on to the bigger thing.

1 Like

A dragon appears and lands on the neighboring flat peering into your window you look at Anya “no that’s a mood killer”

2 Likes