Mind Blind (04/30 Demo Update. A Story Where You Are NOT The Chosen One!)

Please, no yandere. Nuh-uh :fearful: :face_vomiting:

13 Likes

Aww, you’re no fun :joy:

Actually, on second thought, I second this. No yandere, not with our MC having a hot potato of a mind rn :fearful:

@Servant_of_choices You make a convincing case…fine, I want my yandere with a steak knife equipped and a Pollard score of at least 8 :joy:

9 Likes

Cmon man shadowding and trying to kill each other for life is true love!!

7 Likes

Updaaaaaaaaateeeeeeeeee wooooo >:D

le edit:

I have found a husbando for Animal Lover!Confident!Car Snob!Short-arse!Avocado-Eating!Ellery XD yes, they’re getting married in Bali, it’ll be great.

I’m really enjoying this, MC has a lot of personality, I’m quite looking forward to playing sardonic but chipper MC who is not hating their existence and has accepted fate and is happy throwing grossness into rude peoples brains, huzzah.

11 Likes

I haven’t really commented in this thread despite really enjoying your WIP (The premise! The tone! The dogs! The very real but unseen resentment one can have towards a sibling!) but since I haven’t seen anyone mentioning the save plugin yet (I think? My eyes deceives me often)

I think you can just put

*sm_init [game name] | [no. of save slot] 

in the bottom of the startup file after the achievements/create stats and stuff, since you’re putting mind blind in dashingdon. The game name can be anything as long as it doesn’t have any spaces.

Iirc there’s a newer save slot plugin out, but it’s not implemented in dashingdon yet

(i promise I’ll come back here to actually comment about something after I played the newest update. Thanks so much for delivering, I’m so used to my fav authors leaving a fic on hiatus that this feels like a blessing :pensive:)

6 Likes

Could you add save system? I’d like to explore all the options without having to replay everything or opening up the code to read it raw.

You only have to check the second box on the right on the “edit game” page.

And then write

*sm_init mindblind | 5

At the bottom of your startup.txt file.

6 Likes

This is awesome! Really liking how you’ve done the MC’s inner monologue and the quality of writing is so good. Also love how Nick calls you Buttons lol. That’s cute

2 Likes

ayyy, first nick-nack now cookie monster. starting to like this more and more. can we become the nicknamer kid and give hilarious nicknames to everyone else too? i even have some planned already. for example, for k i thought of the dogfather (pun on godfather) and fairy dogmother (another obvious pun)

also another thing. i kinda wonder if nick also has the who’s on first routine practically or literally memorized after being around mc and hearing them think it so many times?

13 Likes

Hey, just wanted to say, that I really liked how you implemented the choices it makes the flow good:) I mean it does not disturb the flow

3 Likes

Alright, save plugin is a go! I’d been putting it at the top and getting error messages :sweat_smile: Also, if anyone does peak at the code (which I didn’t realize was possible)–please know that none of what I name choices/branches is meant to be offensive. Just because I label winning the staring contest with K “uwincreepo” does not mean that I’m calling your MC a creep . . . much.

I haven’t! I’ve never used Discord but can look into setting one up. Honestly, I mostly expected people to read Mind Blind and roll their eyes saying “Oh, god, this author thinks she’s funny”. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how many people seem to like it! If people want another place to ask questions/chat, I can definitely make that happen.

Nuh-uh indeed (it’s way worse)

Oh, I’m super happy someone’s playing an accepting MC! I really enjoyed writing a lot of the “yeah, so what? I’m amaaaaaazing! Mwahaha” answers.

Yes. And poor Nick–he’s definitely been exposed to more than his fair share of classic comedy routines, self-empowerment speeches, and frog guts.

30 Likes

@wildelight Congratulations on implementing the save system.
And also this just crossed my head earlier and can’t get it out of my head, what do you think about giving nick “big bro” as a nickname?

1 Like

I think I’ll leave “Big Bro” as a player enter-able option, just because the choices for Nick’s nicknames (I always giggle-snort writing those 2 words together) are already pretty crowded :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:sweat_smile: I know that feeling well.

If your confidence stat is low but humor is high and accepting, can this still plays out?
Cause that would be amazing

2 Likes

That’s my goal! Confidence and accepting are unrelated stats, and affect different dialogues. The end result is that Humorous Accepting MC more appreciates the irony of being a zero in a family of Pollard 10s, and finds the joke hilarious despite being the butt of it. Whereas Confident Accepting MC is more “Oh, you thought my lack of mind powers would actually bother me?? Pffft.”

18 Likes

Yeah, that would actually be more interesting than confident and accepting. Like looking at the bright and side of your unfortunate condition and making jokes about rather than just accepting it confidently.
But that raised another question. What would a morbid accepting MC do?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

5 Likes

Never apologize for asking questions! You guys have NO idea how excited I get over people being invested in my story. It gives me fuel to write, like spiritual caffeine.

Morbid Accepting MC will be very much “I am darkness. I can make YOU feel darkness. You think my mind is weak? Well, welcome inside, jerk” and then bombards the intruding Ment with the bleakness and/or depravity of their thoughts.

There will also be mixed profiles, that display two of the personality traits (but in a lesser extent). Chapter 1 is to establish a foundation character profile for the rest of the book which will color flavor dialogue/text (I think the first difference between Accepting vs Resentful occurs in the cookie flashback, over how MC responds to Gray having telekinesis). Although your personality will be able to shift if you consistently begin to pick different types answers.

30 Likes

Thank you for taking your time answering the questions, I’m glad that the questions don’t disturb you.

That sounds amazing. Can’t wait to do just that balanced with some humor.
I’m gonna be spewing dark jokes right and left.

6 Likes

Ooooh. That’s actually kind of badass. I’m reminded of a bit in one of the old Doctor Who novels where supporting character #3 comes across the Doctor and an unconscious telepath. “She wanted to know what was on my mind. I’m rather afraid I let her.”

11 Likes

Don’t know if this had been reported or not, but I noticed one of the code seems weird.

There is a stats check “if Grayhate > 89”, and if I didn’t misunderstand how the codes work, there should be no way to get it. The closest we could get 80, setted by a previous choice

4 Likes

Whoops! You were right. One of Gray’s responses was a set 80 instead of +80. Should be fixed now, and your cookie-denied rage can now escalate to trembles.

5 Likes