Mind Blind (04/30 Demo Update. A Story Where You Are NOT The Chosen One!)

I actually got teary writing the scene with Hope :sweat_smile: (I also cry at dog food comercials tho, so low bar.)

That’s a relief to hear! I wasn’t really certain whether or not it would work, given that so many people have different texting styles. (Also, Sally and Glitch each have like 4 or 5 different texts depending on Chapter 2 choices, and I was worried about them triggering correctly.)

19 Likes

Mind Blind? More like Mind Fucked.

Congratulations @wildelight, you’ve made me hate the MC’s entire family.

13 Likes

As much as i realise that it wasnt mom doing it intentionally but the incident only ensured that i will be keeping a long distance from mc’s parents , saint nick is all the family mc needs.
And i voted for glitch , she is wayyyy underrated , she have so much cheese and who doesnt like cheese?
And as Wilde said Noh as a RO is a big NOH NOH for me , my mc doesnt like anyone who mind controls him voluntary or involuntary , family , friends or NoH there are NoH exceptions.

14 Likes

To be honest, I think they’re all great. I’m leaning towards all of them. But then again, I’m gay so imma have to admit that I’m leaning more towards mah bois.

5 Likes

I feel like I can’t decide on a RO yet, even though we’ve met them all Gray still treats MC like a kid sister or a delicate flower or something. Like, the man won’t even stand near MC when she moves to be closer.

I know he thinks it’s considerate or something, but um… Go 'head, read MC’s thoughts. She’s thinking Gray’s too far away - and also, just a little bit…that she still can’t believe he ate that last cookie.

Also, how old is Rosy… Based on the “About” section, I think he’s… 27?? Trying to figure out if it would be weird for any of my MCs to be into it… Plus I always feel kinda weird about student-teacher things, so… yeah… idk. I guess it’ll depend on how the story progresses/the dynamics of their relationship.

I also need a better read on K before I can make any choices…

Basically, you’ve created several ROs with interesting personalities and I can’t decide who I like best, so good job! Lol.

I’m already excited for the next update!

7 Likes

Ooh the angst, my heart can’t take it but at the same time I want more. 94022288_2022271254583488_3704053270075932672_n

27 Likes

The event was also not what I was expecting but deeply traumatizing nonetheless :sob: I was so ready to hate Button’s mother but now I’m not sure how I feel after learning that it wasn’t her fault but those were some cruel words she said there! I get that she was overwhelmed but I understand if some Button’s can’t forgive. Man, if I had Button’s life I would move to a deserted Island :disappointed: this whole story is based off of my worst nightmare I would never be able to leave the house every day the way Button does :cold_sweat:

I’m loving all the flavor text in this update, too! The level of personalization is awesome. My poor button interjecting with their depressing thoughts… Lev calling them out for being short… So good :joy:

I voted for K in the poll because I love jerks and angst but Gray is a very close second for being pretty much perfect :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: the part where we chose what we like about him was soooo cute (the Texan accent option oof my heart!) Glitch is a strong third I love a good flirt and I’m also extremely weak to buzzcuts :drooling_face: shaved heads are criminally underrepresented in ROs!

Looking forward to the next update :blush:

(Also I just realized how many emojis I use… I’m so sorry)

14 Likes

Tentatively put my vote in for K, although how I ultimately feel about the route is gonna depend pretty heavily on how certain elements of the relationship get handled—particularly the Dog Thing (you know my thoughts on and hopes for that already) and the “was K really listening to our thoughts?” issue, which I also have Strong Opinions on. I will say that K is the one I’m most interested in by a pretty considerable margin, but the way things stand right now, I also think it would also be pretty easy for either of the aforementioned issues to shake out in a way that I’m just fundamentally not comfortable with. So…we’ll see.

In the meantime, my favorite playthrough right now is actually the one where I’m romancing Sally, even though I didn’t vote for her and she’s not really my type IRL. I know you’ve gone on record saying that Sally’s feelings for Nick won’t really be a big deal in the actual MC/Sally romance arc…but in my headcanon, it’s a source of a lot of internal angst (AKA my lifeblood) for the MC in question. It’s interesting to me that so few people seem to be interested in her—even without the aforementioned relationship drama, I personally find the “one safe harbor in a world of mental and emotional threats” premise very compelling.

Regarding the actual update—seeing Rosy and Gray in more relaxed settings is nice, learning what happened with the mom was…an experience (not 100% sure how I feel about it yet, honestly), but the real highlight for me was actually the texts. It seems like a small thing, but there’s an enormous amount of personality in each interaction (plus all the variations!) despite (or because of?) how brief each one is. I’m particularly fond of the way Glitch behaves in the aftermath of the K Incident—says so much about both characters, and their relationship, that Glitch doesn’t automatically side with the best friend (and is actually more inclined to side with us!), despite their obvious closeness.

Looking forward to whenever we get to actually have The Talk with K themself (next update?), since it seems like their perception of events is very different from the MC’s—I really do want to believe that there’s something else going on here that the MC hasn’t realized or doesn’t know about yet.

16 Likes

Hey, guys, have a look at

shall we?

11 Likes

So far 10/10
Would pop bubble wrap again

8 Likes

Loved the update. So damn emotional :cry: :cry: You got me weeping here. Mid-September couldn’t come soon enough.

3 Likes

Well he does know the mc’s handicap best. And while at times this is frustrating I also feel that of the male RO’s a relationship with Gray might work out for the best. He already knows our brother too and knows that the mc sadly needs a warden. But since his mind-reading is only touch based the mc can be somewhat in control of the relationship and his own toughts and with that fact the mc can at least mostly limit physical intimacy and thus touching with Gray to moments of shall we say heightened arousal…where the stupid thought broadcast would just flood Gray with all sorts of lustful thoughts about him…which might be almost as effective as the frogs thing to keep him from reading anything the mc really doesn’t want read.

Also agree with @spiriter about the Texan thing…which is why I use younger Jensen Ackles for my mental image of Gray…hotness incarnate. :heart_eyes:
Even if that does mean my version of Gray slightly deviates from the official description by being blond.

Kent would be too painful for the mc as that kid reminds him of the life he would have wanted and could have had for himself based on our own family’s wealth, even if he had simply been normal.
So with Kent it would be envy, not lust that dominates, which is a poor basis for a relationship. Particularly if it turns out they really can read the mc’s thoughts from a distance. although the alternative of him faking it would be more intriguing.

As for the others Rosie is a jerk, plain and simple. And Glitch just isn’t compatible with my mc here as, like most of my characters, he likes wearing leather and doesn’t want to give up eating meat either. Good on Glitch for having principles, but they are just not compatible with my mc.

As far as the incident goes…well that would make my mc like Uncle Gary’s world-view even more and that means he really does need to cling to the hope that there is a possible technological or medical solution to at least ameliorate his problems to be found somewhere among the “above top secret” secrets to keep up his will to continue living.

Because while it may not be the most popular opinion on this forum my mc really does need some distant glimmer of hope to cling to in order to keep his “normal” depression from turning overwhelmingly suicidal. In that way Uncle Gary and his “crazy” conspiracy theories are actually a hugely important factor in my mc’s life due to giving him just that glimmer of hope, no matter how much his parents and brother may scoff at it. :persevere:

14 Likes

OH EM GEE Love it so much. The dialogue options are immersive and fun . Sometimes it’s a bit challenging to guess what ups what stat, though.

Also, found a typo - sorry if already pointed out! (the your AMO…) lZwgmgdh0jA|690x198

3 Likes

You certainly have taste.

:+1:

5 Likes

Thanks! :grin: I even found that one were he really looks like Gray with the iconic leather jacket. :wink:

5 Likes

Hey, kid, want some memes? I promise that they’re fresh, though I only got one template for now.

28 Likes

Do not start flooding the thread with Memes.

4 Likes

The new demo was just excellent! Mind Blind is one of the stories I directly hooked on. It gives an idea of the author’s skills!
I voted for K (of course I voted for K, black hair, gray eyes, loving animals! Of course I want to get married in Bali!) The problem is that he lied, and my Button hates liars! We’ll have to talk, K.

Otherwise, the scene with Hope… I cried! I was so sure I was going to blame her and yet, yet! It hurt for both of them, so bad! On one side we have Hope, a mother who certainly promised herself to always protect her flesh and blood and failed in the most terrible way and on the other Button who by essence probably thought that never her own blood would ever hurt her and boom. Here, eat this, reader!

And I don’t even want to talk about our dear big brother’s reaction, I cried a little more…(Am I the only one who still hasn’t gotten over it? Tell me you haven’t…)

6 Likes

ight ok. Anywhere else I can throw my memes?

3 Likes

Again with the evil cliffhangers!

Oh sweet baby Jesus on toast, the scene with Hope was so awful, in the best way possible. It hit me right in my angst-and-horror loving heart, and it makes re-reading the story from the beginning so much worse. I love it.

Quoth chapter one:

You briefly close your eyes, unwanted memories surging to the surface. Of being trapped, terrified, and listening to your mouth voice words that aren’t your own.

Ahahahahaaa… I thought it was a villain or something doing it oh god just stab me already, it’ll be quicker.

No, seriously, I’d been looking forward to finding out about that event because it was so wonderfully ominous and immersive. I had THEORIES, man. And then you throw THAT at me and I just had to stop and stare at the page for a bit.

The more I see of Kim, the more I enjoy the character. I love the part where (depending on player choice) the MC is kind of knocked off-balance by the sudden realisation that for once someone isn’t underestimating them. Yeah, Kim sets the bar high, but well within the MC’s capabilities if they’re up for the challenge. It’s such a great character moment (and telling for the setting in general) to have a person who can’t get inside the MC’s head be the one to actually see them.

Lev! I already like him. Old family friends are great characters. And one of the things I especially like is the way he expresses his affection for the MC with an earnest and entirely well-meaning hope that they’ll some day be “fixed.” It makes him so believably human, even as you want to slap him upside his ableist head (but gently, because well-meaning sweetheart.)

Random notes not specific to this update:

I would just like to say how much I appreciate that your MC can have sky high Confidence and still be a gibbering disaster around their crush. It’s kind of the best.

From way back in chapter one: I really enjoy that first interaction with Nick, because it sets the stage so well. If the MC growls at him to stay out of their head, he replies “You know it’s not that easy.” Like… dude. Literally the first line of dialogue in the game is you choosing to get inside your sibling’s brain to wake them up telepathically. Ever heard of cell phones? And, as shown later, he really does forget that phones are a thing because… telepath. It makes perfect sense.

I just want to hug the world building and character writing in this game, is what I’m saying here.

Romance-wise, I’m definitely going for playthoughs with Gray and Kim. And also Noh because THAT scene is… intriguing. *waves tiny “sucker for this-is-a-TERRIBLE-idea romances” flag *

24 Likes