Merry Crisis (WIP) - Updated: 3 Apr '24 [220k words]

OMG I love this game​:sob::sob::sob:hope to see more!

2 Likes

Progress Update

It’s been a while, but I’ve made some good progress this month! I hope to get an update out by Christmas.

Completed:

• Christmas Dinner scene is actually 90% done!! (~20k words, lots of drama, mostly wholesome, I promise).
  • RO hang-out options after dinner (no spoilers, although all I will say is that you can ride off on the back of Shay’s motorbike while your family stares, slack-jawed and horrified) - unfortunately Qiu scenes will still be flash-backs - are also approx. 30% complete (~12k words).

Goals

• By mid December, hopefully: Release the update in time for Christmas!

@lilachu Awww thank you!! So glad you like the game, a lot of my heart’s in it!

37 Likes

Hi, just wanna say that i find your story so interesting! This is my first time reading a singaporean-themed IF and now it got me hooked for more :fire:

5 Likes

Oi there @burninglights found a small error in coding…

That option is always hidden, even if the Job is “Indie rock star” and I’m pretty sure it’s cause it’s *if (job = “Indie rock ‘star’”) instead of *if (job = “Indie rock star”). :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat: all because of keeping that star in ’ '.

1 Like

But then what will they do if my mc actually composes and sings a new song to propose to the boy! :smiling_imp:
Would be ironic too if what is meant to be a relatively low key and private song like that is what finally puts him on the map of the big leagues too. :worried:

3 Likes

@Alpha_Werewolves Aww thank you!! So glad to hear that you’re hooked, and that you’re enjoying the premise :slight_smile:

@Empress_Nightmare OHH yah thanks for the catch! I’d forgotten to change the absurd code there.

@idonotlikeusernames Oh snap, that’s really cute. I already had a sense that this game’s epilogue would be HUGE given all the branching I’ve got planned in terms of which RO (or none) one eventually goes for (with varying degrees of success), but I’d love to add in little snippets/details like that. <3

Again, hope everyone’s having a wonderful holiday (if you have that where you’re from), and just a quick update that I’m about 92% done with writing the Christmas Day scenes (i.e. 3rd chapter) - it already stands at about 62k words - and hope to have everything written sometime in January so I can start editing! I’m guessing I can aim for a public update around end-Jan or Feb. Thanks for sticking around!

33 Likes

Third update of Merry Crisis (Chapter 3: “It’s Christmas!”)

It’s been a long time in the making, and I’m so excited to share it with you all!

Public release-date: 28 Jan (tomorrow)!
Word count: 48k words (Total wordcount now stands at: ~97k words with code)

There’s a lot of content in this new chapter, because I wrote three separate tracks for each of the romantic options/characters (Shay, Nat, Qiu) - plus probably too much “family dinner” content (I got carried away).

Playable content:

• Attend Christmas dinner with the extended fam. Chat with your icy/frigid cousin or your brother, engage in some hijinks with your 6-year old twin cousins, and get embroiled in some true soap opera-style drama.
  • Ride off from the family dinner with Shay on their motorbike (to your mother’s horror), to a live music venue. Meet their bandmates, dance with Shay—a kiss is also in the cards—or perform on stage with the band if you dip out of dinner early!
  • Head to Labrador Park (a nearby coastal park with a strip of beach/forest) after dinner, and call Nat. You recall some of the good times spent on the beach with Nat on their first trip to Singapore to visit you, and just might just get a chance to fight for the relationship (or let it go for good).
  • Choose to spend some alone time at the park, and (possibly) reminisce about your 18th birthday, when you spent the afternoon there with Qiu after class.
  • End Christmas with a bang… (If you play your cards right, you might even be invited back to Shay’s apartment.)
  • Plus edited content for better readability in the earlier chapters.
    Do let me know if anything still sounds weird, or if you see any grammar/spelling errors! Can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
50 Likes

I’m so excited for the update, I’ve really enjoyed your WIP

3 Likes

Aww so happy to hear that! :blush:

It’s 28 Jan here in my country :rofl:

Joke aside I’m really excited for the new update, totally can’t wait.

Can I romance all the RO? :grin:

4 Likes

Sorry only one per buyer

2 Likes

HAHAH you can, with an intricate save system :stuck_out_tongue: but either way, you’re only going to be locked in roughly 28 or 29 Dec (in-game time)!

3 Likes

Darn I thought I can get them all :rofl:

4 Likes

screams in excitement So hyped for the update!!! WOOOOOO!

2 Likes

Chapter 3: “It’s Christmas!” is live on dashing don! :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

Word count: 48k words (Total wordcount now stands at: ~97k words with code)

Enjoy!! As always, thank you so much for reading/supporting :heart:, and leaving your messages/asks :slight_smile: You can find me on Tumblr, and if you’d like to support me/buy me a coffee, you can find me on ko-fi, too!

57 Likes

congrats on the update! cant wait to get comfy and reread this throughout the night.

just finished up with qiu and that was a nice insight into more of the mc and their dynamic back then. i am kinda dreading meeting them on the next chap lmao. i feel like its gonna hurt way more when qiu would probably just ignore us.

next up is shay, whoooo. also just checked but it seems like on the ros on your main post, shay has the same description as nat.

also i do notice that the mc seems to have a set flirting way in that they are either flirty or like cheeky and very forward. will there be shy or subtle flirting options in the future? no need to add if you prefer it that way. was just curious

2 Likes

Yay, slice of life! Slice of life! Ehm. I mean, i’m very happy that you wrote another update. I like stories with at least small focus on family relationships, so this game is right up my alley.
MC’s brother is great in the sibling kind of way. His bickering with MC is one of my favorite things in this game. (And it reminds me me and my brother. :smile:) Jack and Jill are so cute.
I enjoyed the rivaly/high school sweetheart relationship between MC and Qiu. I wonder how much awkward it will be to see Qiu after all this time.
Shay is nice too, but right now i’m ready to get MC and Nate back together or die trying. (Why it is so hard to choose only one LI in your games? :sob: My poor shipping heart.)

2 Likes

Some typos:

Summary

Four years out of college, you’re now 26-years old. You’d graduated from college two years earlier than the boys your age, not needing to dedicate two years of your life to the ary as mandatory ‘National Service’.

*set Job “Indie rock star”
Of the ‘fake’ jobs out there, being a soccer player is right down there with the worst of them.

You imagine Nat sending you the message while sitting next to the dogs, sipping His usual cup of nighttime chamomile tea on one of the stools by the kitchen island.

Sbay frowns at you, pushing a loose strand of hair behind his ears. “Course I do. She’s my neighbour.”

Shay laughs at this. “She doesn’t scare me. I just want us to get along.” There’s a brief pause, and he leans against the wall in front of your house. “C’mon. help me put in a good word.”

You’d made ondeh ondeh with your mom and aunt once, a chewy ball amde from rice-flour and filled with brown sugar and coated with coconut flakes.

For all the shit hegives you for the lyrics, your brother hums along. “Rui Min wrote this!” your dad tells everyone. Damn. Did your family actually listen to your music?

Almost a decade now, since you’d been in secondary school* together. Nothing has changed.

No reference on the page.

Your glances harbored a thousand words, even if none of them were every said out loud.

And, as far as you knew, He had not cried. Maybe, deep down, you wished he had.

Picked this up at the previous update, has been waiting a lot for a new one. While I don’t live so far away from home as our protagonist still can’t shake some wistfulness reading this. Also really can’t decide between ROs, they all have something interesting about them. So both are good things, and this is my short weird review.

1 Like

in the end of chapter 3 if you choose “I… don’t think I’ll fare much better,” I admit, cheeks heating. [Follow Shay home]‘’ the Shay romance scene does not trigger

1 Like

@yb_minhee Ahh! Thank you so much!! Hope you managed to get cosy and enjoyed the read :slight_smile: Qiu won’t ignore you! I mean, there’ll be angst, but you will get a confrontation at least!

Oops, will edit the character description, thanks!

Finally, hmm—the plan is definitely to add 3 ‘romantic’/sexual options: a flirty, cheeky/funny, and shy/subtle to all choices, there might still be moments where it lacks a shy/subtle choice. Working on it! Would help if you could let me know if there are parts you thought really could use a more subdued flirty choice! :slight_smile:

@M_K1 SLICE OF LIFE!! haha glad you enjoyed the family interactions in the game! Yeah, I wanted Qiu to have a bit more of an antagonistic/competitive feel, and you’ll see that even more in the next chapter, I think!

I think it will be a lot of things—depending on your MC. Awkward or possibly angry, sad, maybe a little cathartic.

Hahaha all the best with Nat!! And hehe, so happy you like all the LIs in the game :slight_smile:

@Anarore_Kriptih THANK YOU! I’ve just fixed all of the typos you gave me. Wistfulness and nostalgia+comfort are feelings/vibes I really hoped to inject into Merry crisis! Totally not a weird review, it brought a smile to my face! :smiley:

@iluziu Ahh! Thank you for the catch! My bad! Have fixed it. Can’t believe I denied half the people of a steamy(ish) scene! :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes