Merry Crisis (WIP) - Updated: 3 Apr '24 [220k words]

Hey I wanted to ask, what do you have to do to make it on time for the plane?

1 Like

Haha hey, great question. I think it means that my edits have made it slightly more difficult to actually catch the plane (which is great), but here are some ways you can successfully make it:

• Sprint like hell and be fast enough (e.g. high athleticism / soccer player)
  • Run, and be super athletic
  • If you sprinted but weren’t athletic enough or chose to run, you can attempt to charm/reason your way through the situation (e.g. high charm/intelligence) or you can explain that you had a work emergency (e.g. high work performance - this is easier if it’s true, i.e. if you told Nat that you’re late because of your job.)

Thanks for the comment and let me know if you still can’t make it to the plane and I’ll double-check the stats and see if I need to make the stats check lower, though I think missing the plane is reward in and of itself :wink:

12 Likes

Okay, finally tried the miss the plane route myself:

I think the call a friend bit would benefit from either a bit of differentiation based on the mc’s chosen career or background too, or else simply change colleague to simply be a friend the mc met after immigrating but hadn’t really had a chance to connect with in a while.

It takes you a couple of tries, but you soon strike gold - a colleague you’d always wanted to get to know, but never quite had much interaction with outside of work. Like you, she has no family in New York, and has no plans to return to Slovenia for the holidays.

Especially for the indie artist this makes no sense, as it is just them and the band and close camraderie pretty much seems a requirement to make indie bands work and only their fellow band members are, technically, colleagues.

As the current scene, again, gives the impression of the mc being an office worker at some huge American company with lots of only vaguely familiar co-workers, which is actually not a career the mc can have in this game.

Change colleague to acquaintance and outside of work, to outside of events the mc used to mutually attend with their ex or something and it works far better as someone fairly generic who happens to move in the same social circle as the mc (and their ex) but with whom the mc has had fairly little personal time to date. :thinking:

3 Likes

HAHAH you’re right you’re right! Needa nuance the co-worker passage for the dinner too. Thanks for the catch! I’m very obviously stuck in wage slave mindset, so much so that I forget that life is different when you have a different job. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

@Inkuro No more upbeat MC’s allowed in the game. Only grumpy jaded ones! Just kidding. Thanks for the catch - fixed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No biggie, if you want to you could even differentiate the reasons why Nat is angry that the mc spends more time at work than with them.
For the student it could be the accusation that they love their research subject more than him. For the CEO it is indeed that they are always at work…except that they actually run the company instead of being a salaryman.
The soccer player may just have had a difficult season schedule with lots of far away away games.
The poor indie artist could probably get the worst tirade from their ex though, since to a lot of people band practice and making youtube, tiktok videos and whatever other things starting artists need to do for publicity looks a lot like “goofing off” with your friends to a surprisingly large part of the population (probably to their family in Singapore too :sweat_smile: ). Only songwriting probably looks somewhat like work to the average person and even then it depends a lot on the setting you prefer to do it in. Does artist mc like peace and quiet at the kitchen table or even an honest to goodness desk, or do they work best at songwriting in the park or a busy coffee shop? Oh, and of course keeping in shape is almost equally important for both the indie artist and soccer player mc, albeit for slightly different reasons, sadly hitting the gym regularly also doesn’t look like work to most people these days.

Oh, one more odd thing:

“in order to be a child of your parents, a daughter or a brother, a part of the community.”

Shouldn’t that be “son” for male mc’s?

1 Like

When I click on glance out of the window it just keeps loading.

1 Like

Ah! It jams up on that page because that’s the end of the first update, but I’ve now routed it properly to the “last_scene” page instead, so you can read a placeholder paragraph instead of staring aimlessly out the window (at the loading button).

Thanks for letting me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, something I was a little confused about: I managed to talk my way onto the plane using my work performance but the next scene acts as if I wasn’t able to get on and had to get a replacement flight.

1 Like

Oops! Missed this- let me double check and correct this in the next update. Thank you!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fun. I love this genres too. I’m looking forward to it!!

2 Likes

This is great stuff lol

1 Like

@Avid_reader and @Suryaansh_mokta - Thanks both!! Y’all are too kind, and I’m so happy you’re enjoying the game so far :slight_smile: :partying_face:

4 Likes

@burninglights I was just wondering if you are still writing this. Love whats here sofar and can’t wait to see where it goes.

1 Like

HAHA hello! Thank youu for the question and yes!! I might or might not have gotten a little carried away with the bridge game and then stepping away completely when the coding got out of hand. I will be culling the unncessary branches and starting again soon.

Lunar new year also had… way too much mahjong/bridge and not enough chill writing time, so I didnt get as far as I’d hoped… on that note! I wonder if folks had a preference for mahjong / bridge or really couldnt be damned (more in it for the family / RO interaction either way). I have a feeling it’s the latter but playing so much mahjong in the past month has made me… slightly excited to write a mahjong mini game.

8 Likes

@burninglights that sounds cool. What about Poker though. Something the MC picked up abroad and taught their family. I also lke the romance though. Hoping my MC can get back together with their roommate :joy:

1 Like

Ooohh you’ll have to teach me poker / I’ll have to research that I’m afraid… HAHAH clearly this one did not learn anything abroad. But yes “will MC get back with Nat?” Seems like it’s going to be the most interesting / major ending split for the game! Personally I’m all for romances with ~history~ too!

1 Like

Well, reading romance WIP’s is helping take my mind of a horrible situation that happened 3 weeks ago (i lost my dog after having her for 17 years). Ive actually gone over things ive already read. It helps to emerse myself in reading to, not to forget her but to numb the pain of loss.

2 Likes

Oh no :’( I’m so sorry that happened! It sounds like she had a long and full life.

I totally feel you on reading / playing interactive games as escapism, it really just transports ya to a whole different world and takes your mind off things. Wishing you all the best!

1 Like