Mercy for the Merciless

Recently, I was watching/reading a little about Dishonored 2, and a major choice I made in the original Dishonored. I was going through the game, generally being stealthy and non-lethal, only killing all but one of my targets (though I wonder if it would have been a better alternative to what she faced), and helping where I could. Eventually, I reach the point in which you’re betrayed by your allies, and… I was angry. Not raging, not annoyed, but some some combination of calm, cold, numb, and angry to the point of blurred vision. I could feel myself going through the motions of the game, until I encounter him.

Daud.

The man who ruined everything.

We fought, I won, and he was at my mercy. He offered his life to me, and I sat there, pistol aiming dead center of his head and fully ready to pull the trigger. I took a deep breath, then another…

…Then, I sighed through my nose, and stowed my weapons.

“And you choose mercy. Extraordinary.”

I don’t know why I did it. Whether I was just tired from everything before or whatever, but what I want to know is: has anyone else had an experience like this in a game? Or was I just crazy?

Certainly not crazy, one thing I enjoy about games is their ability to bring out the "true self: of a person, and yes, many have had similar experiences, but not all of them share, and most definitely don’t have the writing flair that you do. Thanks for sharing.

I did the same.   

Mostly I spared Daud because I thought he was a cool character. :sweat_smile:

I’m pretty sure the man who ruined everything was Hiram Burrows. Anyway I too spared Daud as he seem remorseful and I really wanted the low chaos ending.[quote=“Gronzen, post:1, topic:21914”]
I was going through the game, generally being stealthy and non-lethal, only killing all but one of my targets (though I wonder if it would have been a better alternative to what she faced),
[/quote]

There is a non-lethal take down in Dishonored 2 that really makes me wonder if the merciful thing to do would have been to just kill them. It was one of the most terrible things I’ve done in a video game.

Phew, I thought that you would be spoiling Dishonored 2 for me 'cuz I’m waiting for my birthday :sweat:

Anyway, I spared Daud too. I think that he was a better protagonist than Corvo, actually! But that’s what I always did to the targets. I didn’t kill the others because sparing them is actually the crueller option, and I was running for High Chaos. But for Daud, he deserved redemption. After all, he spent the entire DLCs feeling guilty over killing the Empress. Even when I played as Daud I spared Billie’s life even though she was working for Delilah. But mostly because she was cool, too.

True enough, but it was Daud who struck the killing blow. They share the blame as far as I’m concerned.

Also everybody please make sure not to spoil anything about Dishonored 2, a lot of people including me haven’t got the chance to play it yet. :slight_smile:

I never spare traitors.
Like in DA2, Anders used me to build his bomb. I shanked the bastard for his treason.
Or in Alpha Protocol, Mina Tang putting a target on your back to use you for her own agenda. Died because of that too.

No mercy for the traitors.

I killed him without a second thought, though I usually play the blood thirsty killer whenever possible in games. I don’t do it for revenge (well most of the time) I do it cos I like the look on their face when they know it’s over.

Though not my play style, being merciful is a noble virtue and I commend you for it.

Didn’t kill anyone I could avoid killing and I usually do that. Except in Witcher 3 since often sparing bad guys doesn’t actually take them out of commission. I actually spared Junior but then realized that was just going to let him keep doing terrible sadistic shit so I reloaded and killed him and Geralt said it was because he hurt Ciri but really it was because he tortured prostitutes to death for fun.

I spared Daud, I felt he deserved more mercy than any of the other targets, and hoped he’d find a way to redeem himself. Killed only those I found to be the most despicable of them.
I killed less guards than targets actually.

In my first playthrough that is. The next one is “Everyone dies” holyday.

I only show mercy to villains in video games when I’m secretly rooting for them and wishing that there was an option to join them. To get pity from me, they have to be very cool or have a cause that I find sympathetic. For example, I tried to be nice to the Illusive man in Mass Effect 3, because I thought Cerberus was cool despite being evil. I’ve noticed that a lot of people who played Dragon Age 2 hated Anders, but I thought everything he did was justified :smiling_imp: so I always supported him.

If I think the villains are truly evil and disgusting, my characters kill them whenever it’s possible. If there isn’t solid evidence that they’re going to turn good, sparing them is the same as OKing their future evil actions. It really depends on the situation, but I think being merciful can often be a form of weakness and inability/unwillingness to defend the victims. But I’m probably not the best person to lecture about morality in games, because I like a lot of villains :stuck_out_tongue:

@Lavender I’d say it heavily depends on how that mercy plays out. The thoughtless often recite the idea that mercy is weakness as a mantra to justify their actions as being anything more than simple selfishness. I like to look at the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series as an example. In Jedi Outcast Kyle Katarn is going to kill Tavion in a fit of rage thinking that she’d killed Jan, when he learns that she didn’t, and that Jan is still alive. He ends up letting her go and just tells her to “get out of his sight” in typical hero almost kills a bad guy but chooses mercy fashion… Then in the next game she’s the main antagonist and causes a ton more deaths.

Now see here’s the thing. There were options besides killing her or sparing her just to let her do more damage. That’s kind of the whole idea behind our criminal justice system… or would be if it weren’t for the prison industrial complex. If the Jedi had tracked Tavion down and brought her in for rehabilitation instead of just going “Well out of sight out of mind.” then most of the people who died in Jedi Academy would have lived. Hell Kyle could have trained her himself most likely. I mean, she wasn’t exactly formally initiated into the sith. She just wanted power, and Kyle had it. That automatically gave him her respect. So basically my point is, whichever side you have Jaden choose in Jedi Academy everything that goes wrong is still all Kyle’s fault in the first place for letting Tavion fall to the dark side… It’s all your fault Kyle!!!

Daud’s a nice guy who just did his job, I spared him too. I mean he even had a part to play due to the outsider.

Besides I don’t blame assassins for killing their targets only the people who payed them.

I was the opposite of you, I killed mostly everyone sparing only my targets due to the horrible fates inflicted upon them and spared Daud as he had done nothing in my eyes. Another assassin could have been hired just as easily.

You don’t blame people who choose killing as a profession for killing? That’s like saying you don’t thank firefighters for putting out fires and saving people you think the mayor for paying them.

I’d compare it more to if a fire took something precious to you, do you blame a fire or the cause of it?

Gun or the wielder?

Someone else could’ve been hired to do it just as easily.

Plus Daud is nice and did save Emily.

I still haven’t played the original Dishonored dlc so I don’t know exactly what happened in the. Though I appear to have gotten the original and all the dlc for free after I purchased Dishonored 2 so maybe I should finally go play them.

It’s good to know im not the only one who spared daud

Both the Fire and the Gun don’t have conscience, the Assassin knew what he was doing and knew it war wrong. He deserve the same fate as the one who paid him.

Again it could happen by anyone, this one guy deciding not to kill wouldn’t change anything. Besides you’re trying to justify your killing as an assassin, what makes you different than him in this case?