Memoria (WIP)

Okay peeps! I got some juicy more info for you, though unfortunately not the demo yet (due to surgery and other things suddenly going BAM in my life not long after I made this post and started working on the demo) but it should definitely tide you over with what I’m planning and offering in the game. I DO plan to have the demo out this month however, that’s definitely a goal and one I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to make. In the following posts I’ll also give you some rough drawings (by moi, so they aren’t going to be entirely ‘wow’ or anything LOL) of le characters and, most importantly, your enemies. >:3

• Skills/stats in the game are: Purity/Corruption,
    Persuasion/Intimidation, Fortitude/Agility, Intuition/Intelligence, Respect/Fear, Amnesia/Memory, and Psyche.

• Purity/Corruption: This doesn’t measure your own alignment, but rather the objective balance of ‘good’ and ‘evil’ in the world. Its affected by your choices, as the actions you take will influence the world and people around you. Your morality dictates not only your own appearance, but that of your surroundings, and like a child observing its parent, the world learns and reflects the decisions you make and the person you become.

• Persuasion/Intimidation: Do you prefer to use well-chosen words and your natural charm to win people over, or do you shake them into submission with your piercing gaze, commanding voice and inclination for violence?

• Fortitude/Agility: Are you built for strength, or for speed? Can you knock a man on his back with one solid punch and take twenty of his, or are you much better at dodging his attacks, waiting until you can maneuver behind him and stab the poor bastard in the back?

• Intuition/Intelligence: Do you rely on the world around you to give you the answers you need, drawing upon your experiences and honed talent for perceiving and understanding that which others might do not? Or do you, instead, find the source of your information from inside, your superior knowledge built upon the study of books, logic and reason, things proven rather than unknown?

• Respect/Fear: How other people see and react to you. Unlike your Purity/Corruption stat, which represents the world’s alignment, this is a personal reflection of you and you alone. It doesn’t necessarily dictate good or evil. Having high enough Respect will give you a bonus to Persuasion checks, while having high Fear gives a bonus to Intimidation.

• Amnesia/Memory: How much of your own memory you have recalled. Naturally, Amnesia starts off at 100%. The more that the MC remembers, the stronger their Psyche (seen below) becomes, thus increasing their strengths, but on the flipside, opening new weaknesses. The Umbra can access and affect all memories, but are most focused on long-term memory, for they are the strongest and most significant to any Psyche. The MC’s regained memories will first be short-term, but the more they remember, the greater significance and power their memories begin to hold. Be warned, however: the more you gain, the more you have to lose.

• Psyche: The health and depth of your mind. Naturally, you want this as high as possible. Your Memory affects the amount of health your Psyche has and how much damage you can inflict, but also its vulnerability and the range of damage able to be done to it. The ‘depth’ of your mind is the reservoir of your power and your experience using it. Doing so saps this reservoir, as does being attacked. Your Psyche will gradually heal itself over time. Absorbing the memories (and in some cases, Psyches) of others can increase both your Memory and Psyche stats simultaneously, along with refilling it to the max, but you will gain Corruption for doing so. There is a cap on how high your Psyche can be raised.

• One of the main encounters you’ll have in the game are people
    whose memories have either been completely stolen/obliterated, or
    severely fragmented and tossed into disarray. When facing the
    former, you can either: retrieve and give memories back
    (+Purity), or retrieve and absorb them yourself for more power
    (+Corruption). Alternatively, you can do nothing (which also
    gives you Corruption, but to a much smaller degree than
    absorbing their memories). The latter will first have to be faced in
    combat (unless you have a high Persuasion/Intimidate skill), as
    their broken Psyches make them incredibly hostile, paranoid and
    violent. These are also stronger and more difficult opponents than
    those who have erased Psyches. After you beat them (which will result
    in you knocking them unconscious), you will enter their fragmented
    Psyche, and once again be presented with a choice of options:
    piece their Psyche back together (+Purity, +Memory), absorb their
    Psyche into your own (+Corruption, +Memory, +Psyche), or erase
    the fragmented Psyche (+Memory, a neutral option since the person
    would no longer be suffering, but also no longer have their original mind
    and essentially start off a blank slate).

• Carrying on from the above, an integral part of the story/adventure
    (and the MC’s abilities) is entering others’ Psyches. Experiencing
    memories and personalities from within adds a deeper meaning
    beyond simple battle mechanics. There is a bit of ‘detective’ work
    to be done as well within certain Psyches, including puzzles to solve
    and questions to answer. It’s also just as dangerous (perhaps more so)
    within another’s Psyche, for in the physical world, you are essentially
    defenseless, with your mind in someone else’s. Also, if the person
    isn’t as defeated as you thought or has a particularly strong Psyche,
    especially hostile ones, it can break your own. Against the Umbra,
    they can absorb your Psyche if you aren’t careful, particularly when
    you have a significant amount of Memory, as it gives them the opportunity
    to use your own weapons against you. Nevertheless, important parts
    of the story take place in and because of Psyches.

• To add to replayability and flavor (among other things), even
    if/when you are defeated and get a game over, it won’t be
    entirely ‘over’. Yes, you will have to start over, but before
    that, you won’t get a traditional ‘Game Over’ screen or anything
    like that. Depending on when, how and where you fail, you will
    get a scene describing such; a specific ‘Prologue’ detailing your
    defeat and afterwards, your fate. The further you are into the story,
    the deeper certain revelations will be, and there are certain
    things about the story that you can only learn by being defeated
    (both literary-wise and game-wise). I won’t spoil anything, but
    at least for your character, a game over isn’t necessarily a game end…
    Take it as you will. :wink:

1 Like

This sounds very interesting. I’ll be following along with its progress. Good luck!

Strangely enough, the first thing out of my concept art for this game isn’t
any of the characters or enemies, but instead a setting… which were never
my forte. But I’m proud of it and I hope it gives the game more flavor and hype
while I work on the demo and spitting out concept images to help grasp the game
better (both for me and for you guys!). I’m not going to spoil the game by revealing
too much about exactly what this piece is or what it symbolizes, other than this is
where the Umbra come from. Since the Umbra themselves are such vague
creatures, this piece too is meant to be vague, and like the game, I instead let you
draw your own conclusions and theories about them and this piece. :]

You can view the full res version here

2 Likes

I’m certainly confused but hyped.

I’ll absorb everyone’s memories, which is what they’ll be in the end.

Funny enough that the amnesia setting reminds me of the elder scrolls, in which you perpetually start as a prisoner with no papers/background and slowly discover how awesome you actually are (totally not saying being dragonborn is awesome).
And having amnesia doesn’t make you a clean slate, since it not memory loss, but the inability to remember. Basically, your character is predetermined to be SOMETHING. Meaning you already left some footsteps in the world. Or craters. In any case, I’m hyped for some awesome lost/hidden legacy. (Does that word work here? Since, well, you’re not dead.)

(Please tell me I’m gonna remember the phrase FUS ROH DA in that game)

Well in skyrim you could tell people about your backround in markarth or serena.

1 Like

Reminds me of remember me.

Yeah, once you knew about it.
If not, it’s just another one of those immersion breaking quirks in Skyrim. At least there’s some mods that makes the guards shut up, so I’m not fetching mead anymore as Harbinger.