Mecha Ace: The Q&A Thread

Will there be shout-outs to other works, fanservice (apart from the skintight jumpsuits), easter eggs or other similar things?

@Cataphrak Is our home world under control of the Empire or of CoDEC? And will we get to determine our lance’s unit patch insignia? Also, what is the insignia of CoDEC armed forces in general?

@WulfyK
Absolutely. I’d like to note that most of the achievement names are references to other mech(a) series and franchises.

@Iggles
The player character’s homeworld is one of the central worlds of the rebellion, and currently the host of the CoDEC Defence Committee.

Unfortunately, there’s no real way to design a unit patch with every possible expected permutation, and simply giving the player a choice of five or six would be too restrictive. This is another one of those blanks I’ve left your mind to fill in.

CoDEC’s military rondel (the simplified insignia they put on fighting vehicles) is a red circle (representing the rebellious colonies) surrounded by four triangles facing outwards (representing the united military forces of the colonies in their role as protectors).

Here’s a picture:

You mean that we aren’t random teenagers who just fall into the cockpit and proceed to become the best pilot in the history of war?

Heresy.

@Ramidel
That was actually something I took a look at when I started writing Mecha Ace: I came to the conclusion that with a teenaged protagonist in this sort of setting, the player’s agency would either be heavily curtailed, or the setting would have to bend over backwards to accommodate things that a fifteen year old kid couldn’t get away with. In short, it’d be a story about growing up, and that wasn’t the direction I wanted to go in: watching someone else grow up through the traumatic stresses of the battlefield can be a rewarding experience, playing through that process would cut off a lot of options.

That being said, there are characters in those same series who do have more unrestricted freedom to act, and often drive the plot by acting more than reacting, ones with a lot more power and responsibility over the lives of their fellow pilots than the teenage protagonist does. In short, I came to the conclusion that while it’s fun to watch Amuro, it’d be more fun to play Char, so to speak.

Heresy.

Also: good thinking. And: you know your audience. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do we get a callsign?

@Sneaks
You get a callsign which refers to your position as lance commander, and you can name your Lance. So, you’ll be referred to as [lancename]-Lead.

Will there by a rival pilot you fight several times before finally beating them?

How will the upgrade of the mechas work? Will it be possible to take weapons form defeated enemies, buy new equipment or let the MC design something themself?

I don’t have any questions, so I’ll just say that Sabres of Infinity was the best written game on this site and knowing that this is coming out in a month got me to rewatch Zeta Gundam. Can’t wait for the release! :slight_smile:

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Absolutely.

@WulfyK
There will be points in the story where you’ll be able to recover new weapons from various places. Doing so might make the story more difficult, but these weapons tend to be substantially more powerful than what you have access to otherwise. Later on in the story, you’ll have the option to install one of these weapons onto your machine.

As much as I’d like to put in a Battletech omnimech style customisation system, it’d just be too many variables at the same time.

@ParaoidInc
Hah! Actually getting the pitch accepted for this story actually got me to rewatch Zeta Gundam last year!

1 Like

Who is drawing the artwork for the game?

@WulfyK
Every piece of art in Mecha Ace (cover included) is mine.

Excuse the Double-Post:

So, I want to post some of these questions, and their answers on my website. Would anyone object to that?

I wouldn’t.

I have no problems with it, although can I get link to website? I didn’t know you had one.

No, I wouldn’t.

Go right ahead. Maybe Mecha Ace will get its own wiki too!

…I was not serious, you guys don’t have to do that!

Please do feel free. :slight_smile: