May 2023's Writer's Support Thread

And yet “excessive politeness” isn’t a stereotype of Germans to the same degree as Britons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been pondering this, and now I’m convinced it must mean multiple groups of cherubim. (I mean, I’ve been known to use adjective forms like “bester”, so it’d be par to the course.)

2 Likes

People talking about pronounciation weirdness is always fun to someone like me, whose name they can’t pronounce. :smile:

4 Likes

I feel that.

People either say the wrong name or can’t spell my name after hearing it said.

2 Likes

I am struggling today with the impostor syndrome or I can say I was I just bought the system shock remake and one of the most shocking games in my childhood has revitalized me. For me, the best well done cyberpunk atmosphere and still is in the remake. Cyberpunk is bigger, it is more immersive, and an RPG. But they went too much in the neon as they want to go further futuristic to 2020.

I probably won’t end system shock, I hate shooters but just the atmosphere, puzzles, and hacking for the time y don’t get frustrated with the shooters is a golden time for me and my inspiration.

4 Likes

Yes, System Shock was gold, hacker!

I’ve recently (as in, yesterday) finished Prey, and it reminded me of SS very much.

4 Likes

Then I Recommend you the remake it is a low-key remake but No fan of System Shock would want a next gen no following the original. This is a beautiful rendition to original.

2 Likes

May report:

I’m officially working on the editing for publication for the first time: Me and my old friend are editing one of my older tales, no title yet, genre sci-fi.

Small progress (mostly rewriting) on Stories of Gaia (fantasy project)

Read the first Witcher book (technically the third, but it’s a reworking of the first, now out of publishing), I’m currently reading the second.

5 Likes

Well, May was as busy with life and changes of routine as I expected, but I managed to get a lot done. I got my first draft of Honor Bound Chapter 2 done, outlined and coded Chapter 3, and wrapped up the beta for the-game-formerly-known-as-Platinum-Package, now Elite Status, which should be releasing in July. It’s been an interesting few months’ work doing the additional content and responding to tester feedback, and now I’m looking ahead to June where I’ll be focusing on Honor Bound.

6 Likes

I can relate. I can also pronounce your name. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Can you? Becuase tilde’ing a diphtong tends to break most languages native speakers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took a year of Portuguese in high school.

2 Likes

I was going to do this. I didn’t. Not even disappointed about it anymore at this point.

2 Likes

I am Galician, so I can’t see why people struggle with your name. Advantage of being sister languages

2 Likes

May is now over, and I suppose I sort of kinda maybe met my goals.

I began by implementing the stat rework, which worked great, and was implemented with no issues.

Once I began tweaking the stat requirements for certain checks, I quickly realised that if I lowered the stats, then people would not die enough, while if I increased the stats, then people would complain about dying too much. (Which seems counterproductive in a WIP where the premise is rewinding time upon death, but y’know, here we are.)

So to end the month, I have decided on implementing difficulty levels, so that everyone can get the experience they want. People who just want to experience the story can get through the stat-heavy sections without much issue, although I’ll still be killing them randomly so don’t think you can get through deathless. Hehe…

So yeah, May was kind of a rollercoaster for me. I’ll be joining the June support thread late due to visiting family in London for the next few days. I hope you’ve all had a good month. :heart:

6 Likes

I hope May has been a brilliant month for you all, even if you didn’t meet your goals.

I unfortunately didn’t meet the goals I set out to achieve, that being getting chapter 10 of my wip out this month, however, a lot of quality (I think!) writing and editing has been done in that time! I didn’t think chapter 10 would be 40k words, and now it’s well over 50k altogether, and I’m someone that likes to give readers a good chunk of substantial content to read, so hopefully next month that will be possible.

7 Likes

Pls, I’m sweating over here, worried 55k words isn’t enough. Granted, I’m not done editing, but still, I worry. I know high word count doesn’t mean good story, just like I know I can be super wordy in my writing. But I’m still going: “is it too short? Does it matter in the end? Maybe as long as the content is enjoyable…”

5 Likes

I was originally thinking the same, and even when it comes to academic writing for my degree, I always overwrite in my assignments. But, as you say, word count doesn’t equal whether a story is good or not, or whether the quality of the writing it brilliant. I suppose word count also depends at what stage you’re at in your story too. I say as long as you’re having a good time writing, that’s the main thing.

6 Likes

Well, end of May and I’m actually pretty happy with myself. I didn’t really have a goal and just wanted to write (and actually interact with people on here instead of just lurking).

I’ve written/coded about 80k words on B:C which I started near the first of the month just to play around with ChoiceScript. It’s pretty much become my secondary main project and helped me get the motivation to start working on editing and writing SfAL again. I only did about 10k words for SfAL but that puts it over 240k words so I’m happy.

I’ve literally done more writing this last month than I think I’ve done in the last 2 years.

Hope everyone has had a good May, and if not, that June is a better month.

5 Likes

Hey, so I’m still relatively new to this thread. Based on what I can tell, is this some kind of monthly thing where a bunch of writers come together to talk about their progress and goals?

Because if so I dig it.

6 Likes