Master List: Links for Beginners

Since this gets asked a lot I thought I’d try and create a master list of links for beginners. If anyone wants to add links to the list please feel free to since I’m making this wiki format.

Start here for newcomers

The Wiki
ChoiceScript Basic Tutorial on wiki

RETowers’ Tutorial by @RETowers

Lglasser’s Tutorial by @Lglasser

Dedicated ChoiceScript Development Tools

You do not need to download or update ChoiceScript when using either of these tools.

Chronicler Visual Code Editor by @BenSeawalker - aims to reduce the amount of actual coding you need to do

CSIDE by @CJW - aims to help you learn coding with its own step-by-step Interactive Tutorial
CSIDE on browser (no download thingy-thingies. Requires access to your Dropbox account)

Other Tools

You will need to obtain the latest version of ChoiceScript if using a text editor.

Notepad++ - Text Editor for Windows
CScript plugin for Notepad++ by @CJW, these ones by @KickinTyres and @Szaal.

Atom - Text Editor for Windows, iOS, Linux
CScript plugin for Atom

Visual Studio Code - Text Editor for Windows, iOS, Linux
Link to the discussion thread and its CS plugin-extension.

Chat Mapper - a tool for writing and testing nonlinear dialogue and events

Fairmath Calculator by @Twiger_Fluff,
Fairmath Calculator Online by Lucid , Google Spreadsheet version by @Eleckar

yEd Graph Editor - a graphing, flowcharting, mind-mapping tool

Official CoG guidelines
Choice of Games Guidelines

Choice of Games Blog Game Design

Choice of Games Style Guide

Websites
Dashingdon CScript hosting site by @dashingdon

Neocities Free Hosting

Misc
Viewing Game Code

An example of setting up relationship and gender

Grammar Tool

Grammarly

Hemingway App

157 Likes

This should be stickied at the top too or thumbtacked or whatever it is called in Discourse.

Well done my friend.

15 Likes

Thanks for this list! Very useful.

2 Likes

Thought I might as well pin this to the top of the choicescript help category. Might save us some frequently repeating questions :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Updated to add @RETowers tutorial.

I’m still sad that @CJW’s Choicescript Development Environment doesn’t work anymore.

2 Likes

Umm… just wanted to point out
This thread isn’t stickied to me

Nice thread tho :thumbsup:

I dunno how the stickying works, @Szaal. I didn’t want to sticky the post myself since I know too many stickies can be annoying.

I probably need to tidy up the list a bit, and maybe write a small blurb about each of the links?

I added in https://www.choiceofgames.com/category/blog/game-design/ which is full of articles about designing games that I loved reading.

1 Like

I briefly came across CoG’s “Style Guide” but neglected to bookmark it and can’t find the link again. Might be a good one to include in this list?

1 Like

Edited in the OP. It is a Wiki, so if there are other links you think should be there, feel free to add them.

@Nonvita - thank you for the link. Added to the Master list.

2 Likes

BTW, I’ve edited it first : |
Well, I guess there’s a room for only one boss. I’ll delete mine.

Edit: Or not? Well, I’ll leave it for the time being :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If I missed your edit, I apologize. I skimmed the links but didn’t see it in the Wiki post.

Edit: I see it now. Later, after I do some work on my own writing, I’ll try to organize the links a little. Again, I’m sorry I didn’t see you already link it in the Wiki.

Heheh, no offense taken.
It’s also a mistake on my part by not commenting this thread as I made the change.

I think I can tidy up the list myself, if you don’t mind. If anyone don’t mind.

1 Like

Please, straighten it up. I’m behind in my writing, so if I can concentrate on that, those waiting for my updated project will be happy.

Thanks for your help in keeping the list relevant and kept up.

1 Like

I updated the list with the recent tool Fairmath Calculator.

Thx for you guys that created it :two_hearts:

P.S. Should the title be changed?
I think the scope of this list is no longer limited to Beginners.

4 Likes

Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/ free, open source, runs on Mac, Linux, Windows) now has a choice script syntax highlighting plugin called ChoiceScript VSCode for those that want to use it as there development tool.

5 Likes

Hi,I just join Choice of Games a few weeks now and are interested to write a my own game.I am not a skillful writer nor scripter.
Any tips for begginers?

Is there anything specific you want to know? Coding tips, or tips in general?