Mass Mother Murderer (renamed to The Pernicious Panacea)

Well, that’s not for nothing that people with that kind of problems are often considered as some form of hight functioning disabled (in my country at least, we have a weird relationship with serial killer and big public ennemy so i don’t know if it’s the general view world wide) and share a lot of sympton with a lot of mental handicap

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a pretty miserable life. Constant mistrust, irritation, burning anger, itching desire for revenge, contempt for everyone, and complete exhaustion after prolonged social interaction.

@Balrog_Demorgothe
It’s a social and moral handicap for sure.

So, for months I wasn’t happy with how I was handling the stat boosts for elemental, phantom, and voodoo magic. Half of the time it kind of seemed random or nonsensical. So I went back and made things mostly correspond with certain stats and now I’m a lot more satisfied with it.

• Phantom: mainly intimidation, but also some deception
  • Voodoo: mainly stealth, but also some intimidation or deception
  • Elemental: mainly nature, but also some resolve
6 Likes

I’ve added a grimy, creepy texture to the cover art. What do you all think?

17 Likes

Looks great. Very gothic and definitely indicates there’s some violence involved. I love the red on black contrast too. That cape really stands out.

5 Likes

MAJOR UPDATE:

Chapter 9 is now on the demo. It amounted to 12k, which brings the total word-count of MMM to 136k. A new main character, Joy, is introduced, and this chapter consists of some of the most exciting scenes yet.

This is the first time where the MC has an actual battle with someone, aside from Werner, but I haven’t had the time to test the stat checks yet. Please let me know if they’re too high.

20 Likes

*selectable_if (((darts) and (long > 9)) or ((stealth > 9))) #You pull out your blowpipe,
quickly loading it with a tranquilizer dart. “In your state, mother, this will send you into a sleep
that you’ll never return from,” you sneer.
(Requires 10 Long Ranged Weapons or 10 Stealth, and Blowpipe and Darts)

I was able to choose this by having sufficient stealth only and having neither darts nor enough long.
Not sure if this is intentional? But either way the bolded parts sort of contradict each other.

Stefen narrows his eyes at you in defiance, but you can hear his breath begin to quicken in
fear. You’re fucking threatening me?" he blurts out, releasing his hold on your shirt.

Missing quotation mark in the beginning

He sighs, actually looking a bit sheepish. “Look,” he says. I want to apologize for making such a big deal about us being together. …"

Drawing your sword, you hold it out in front of you, shifting your feet in the dirt.
(Requires Sword and 25 Melee)

I had 18 melee and picked almost all melee increasing choices (save for maybe one?).
In generel, melee is more difficult to increase that many of the other stats.
(Long may have the same problem (Not sure though; haven’t played a long focused MC yet))

…he blurts out, his voice full of relief. We have to go, now – two guards have been murdered,
and Garad is freaking out."

1 Like

Loved this chapter. Joy really seems like the smartest victim so far, and she almost got us not once, but twice. You mentioned that she is a main character, so I’m guessing we won’t be able to torture and kill her as easily as the others? Also, ffs, she is named Joy? That pisses me off even more, lol.

One thing I’d like to point out though, that in Chapter 2, when the tall guy topples over the merchant’s stand and proceeds to run away, there are options pertaining to elemental magic, crossbow and blowpipes. In my case, only the last option was available (dash after him), because speed was my main skill and I had voodoo magic. This option, however, reduces resolve and that felt kind of unfair especially because I priorly chose that I stayed in top physical condition. Is it not possible to be confident that I’d catch him (because I did, it’s not like the guy got away)?

4 Likes

@Samuel_H_Young
In chapter 9.

You know from seeing her around the village and from scouting her out over the last couple weeks, though, that she has long, vibrant purple hair drawn into a ponytail.

Remove the bolded word.

I think the stat check for the below choice is too high:
“You’ll just have to be a little more careful. Taking a deep breath, you strain your eyes and ears, trying your damnedest to avoid as many fallen twigs or branches as you can. (Requires 30 Stealth)”

I think having the stat check be 20 or 25 Stealth is better.

As the journey through the woods goes on, though, you can hear her gate quicken

Gait

Walking stealthily in the dark woods is no easky task

Easy

The noise coming through your cupped hands if a haunting,

Is

she suddenly whips around, lifts up a small cannister,

Canister

A part of you just wants to get out of here while you still can, but you already went through all of this trouble, so you may as well , get something out of it.

Remove the bolded comma.

In the below option I don’t think there should be a decrease in strength:
“Then again, a spell doesn’t have to wipe out your enemies to be effective. Lifting your hands in the air, you let forth a powerful wave of frost.”

The gaurds’ torches immediately gutter out,

Guards’

one second away from just smashing her head into this brack wal

Brick

Bessides, murdering those guards might have been yet another hitch in your plans,

Besides

who iss now dressed up in that black wig and the last of your mother’s stolen dresses.

Is

You wrip the gag out of her mouth

Rip

He stumbles back with a dumb grint,

Grunt

but his attack reaks of inexperience.

Reeks

In the choice:
“You draw your staff, gripping it in a defensive formation in front of you.”

With a stupid grunt, you flops over, unconscious.

I don’t know what you meant in this sentence.

you flops over, unconscious.

Flop

Go one! Do you think you’re done?

On

“I should have taken that out on you, but–”

Shouldn’t

but you’ve already turned around and mad a made dash for the staircase.

Made a mad

You’d think they would have preferred to just evade the gaurds,

Guards

Apparently, I’m doing a terrible fucking job as gaurd captain,

Guard

3 Likes

Speaking of which, @Samuel_H_Young my final two main stats were speed (17) and stealth (15). Needless to say, these seem to be very low, and even though it didn’t really cause any huge problems so far, I missed out on a lot of options and might doom me as the game progresses. Especially as particular skills are not useful at all in particular scenes. As much as I love this story, knowing the general audience you might get some flak for making the game too stat-heavy (unless that is completely intentional?)

3 Likes

It’s just how he always has wrote his stories with a bunch of stat checks. Personally I love it because of the challenges it brings and it motivates me to improve so I could try to get the best possible ending.

2 Likes

That being said, some stats seem definitely easier to build up than some others. Charisma, intelligence, Resolve? No problem. But physical stats are a lot harder, I think. Strength is do-able, but melee or speed, for instance, are rarely offered, making it hard to reach the required caps of later chapters even if you were focusing on them.

Anyway, loving the new chapter. You really feel like the story is coming to a head, with the MC being closer and closer from being discovered - and yeah, Joy definitely didn’t make things easy, and managed to press all of the MC’s buttons at the same time. On the other hand, it also feels like killing her would be the final hurdle that would allow the MC to confront their real target.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I’ll do typo fixing and stat balancing after I get off work tonight.

It’s certainly not my intention to make this a stat-grinding game, though stats will still be important. As many of you have noted, there are a lot more chances to use and Check the Knowledge and Attribute stats as opposed to the Skills stats.

This is because MMM is mostly centered around the investigation, psychological, and emotional aspect of our MC’s story, so there simply aren’t as many situations where they need to fight. Most of the violence is done against chained up and weaker victims. All that said, I’ll be making the stat boosts for the Skills considerably bigger so they can increase at the same speed as everything else.

Also, I want to mention that in the cases where Resolve, Strength, or both stats are decreased, this is usually to indicate injuries. Since I won’t be using health bars in my stories, this is the method I’ve chosen to show negative consequences.

Thanks! Yeah, as the MC noted, Joy gave them more trouble in a few hours than Margo and Werner did in several days. As some of you have noticed, there’s sort of a gradual progression with how difficult each surrogate is:

• Poor Margo gave the MC no trouble, and she was obedient and timid.
  • Werner mocked the MC and tried his best to flee and fight in the cave, but in the end, he just wasn’t a match for the MC.
  • Joy…well, she kinda rekd the MC in multiple ways. Her downfall is that the MC just so happens to be the most powerful person in the village.

I consider Margo and Werner main characters, too, but Joy will definitely have a bigger and more impactful role in the story.

4 Likes

The option Then again appears, to spell does not have to wipe out your enemies to be effective. Lifting your hands in the air, you let up a powerful wave of frost. (Requires 1 Mana and Elemental Magic) but I’m a ghost guy​:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

1 Like

So, we’re getting closer and closer to the climax of MMM, with only a few chapters before the MC finally confronts Edina. You all know that they will eventually succeed in their goal of killing their mother.

However, there can only be a happy ending for one side: Cherihl, Abella, Devero, and Garad, or the MC. Who do you think is going to win? Do you think it will be predetermined to set things in motion for the sequels, or do you think the winning side will depend entirely upon stat checks? Who do you want to win?

8 Likes

(Is there an option for everyone to lose because that’s what I’m leaning toward)

1 Like

lol, I hadn’t thought of that. How come?

Well I guess my thoughts are “if I’m going for misery I might as well go full tilt”, y’know? :sweat_smile: @Samuel_H_Young

2 Likes

I personally want it so that either side has the opportunity to win, depending on your choices. It would be an interesting subversion of the good guys always winning as well as the MC always winning.

Hell, you could even give us the choice of letting them catch us, not out of any sense of regret or anything but out of arrogance and feeling invincible after killing the one person we’ve struggled with for so long.

9 Likes

I know that if there’s no confrontation, even just verbal and regardless of the issue, between the MC and the power rangers guard A-team, I’ll bemoan the missed opportunity. I mean, what’s the point of achieving what you want if you can’t gloat about it afterward? Winning doesn’t matter if you can’t rub it in the faces of everyone else, really!

(and if that attitude leads to the MC’s ultimate downfall… still totally worth it, I say!)

3 Likes

MINOR UPDATE:

• Typo fixes
  • Stealth, Long Ranged Weapons, Melee, Strength, and Speed stats are (hopefully) balanced. You’ll want to restart your game so you can see all these stat changes.
6 Likes