The town of Thornback Hollow is under quarantine. Its people are beset by a state of permanent insomnia, and the infection is spreading. At the orders of the Crown, Baron Morlond’s levied soldiers guard the gates. The summons have been sent. Plague doctors in the vicinity must respond by law, or face the Crown’s justice.
You are one of these masked physicians. Can the town be saved at your hand? Or will you be forced to find an escape route, as the creeping sickness proves impossible to contain? Are you focused on medicine, intent on curing this plague above all else? Or is this cauldron of political unrest just begging to be stirred?
Welcome to the thread for my WIP game, Mask of the Plague Doctor (which is, itself, a working title). Below, you’ll find the link to play the first four chapters of the game. You’ll meet the majority of the game’s main characters in these opening chapters.
- Don plague doctor robes as a male, female, or non-binary character.
- Select from a range of mask designs, or choose your own entirely.
- Meet your fellow traveling physicians, and the many curious citizens of Thornback Hollow.
- Your investigations will take you all over town, from rancid tannery buildings to aristocratic manors.
- Explore the community’s theological leanings.
- Plus, mud! Intrigue! Dubious medical procedures!
- Seriously, lots of mud. Bring boots.
- Beware the Dweller in Thorns.
Right now, Mask of the Plague Doctor has an average playthrough of 20k words. Chapters 1-4 come out at around 62k in total. I’m a few thousand words deep in Chapter 5 at present, and it’s looking like the game will be 11-12 when finished (at a guess - it’s already expanding a little bit from my original ten chapter outline). The final release will be in 2019.
As part of that development process, you all get to play along! Further chapters will be added as they’re written and edited. In the mean time, let me know how you get on with this first quarter-to-third-ish of the game. Questions, feedback, story speculation; it’s all welcome. I’ll be checking back in with the thread on a regular basis, posting more ongoing development details and reading your reactions/suggestions.
17 December 2018 Update: Chapter Five is now playable too!
18 January 2019 Update: Chapter Six is here!