Magium [WIP] ---

No update yet.

Just wanted to give a heads up that starting with the next chapter, the game will be entering closed beta, so if you want to keep reading the WIP before itā€™s released on Google Play, please leave a message in this thread or give me a PM and Iā€™ll give you a code when I update the chapter.

Since Flowerā€™s introductory chapter is getting a little longer than I initially estimated, Iā€™ll probably be splitting this chapter into two separate chapters, so there will be 3 more chapters until the first book is concluded. Iā€™m still thinking whether to upload the two following chapters one by one or if I should upload them both at the same time once Iā€™ve finished them. Iā€™ll think this over once Iā€™ve finished the first chapter with Flower and Petal.

If you donā€™t feel like helping out with testing, the first book should be available on Google Play by the end of march, and on the website a few weeks after that. Itā€™ll be free to play, with ads, but in order to unlock the next book, youā€™ll need to get 80% of the achievements, or buy the first book for 2 dollars(which removes ads for the first book, but not for the second).

If you want to help out with testing, then any kind of input you can give is more than welcome. By this I mean either spelling mistakes, grammar or expressions that seem off to you, issues you have with text formatting, plot inconsistencies, bugs that prevent you from finishing the game, general writing advice, or anything else that comes to your mind.

Notable examples of very useful such feedback Iā€™ve received from this forum were how @stsword told me about a scene where the MC tried to pick up a log from the ground even when he didnā€™t have a single point in the strength stat, or about the fact that the stat device wasnā€™t 100% explained at the beginning and how that could create confusions between the stat booster and a traditional D&D stat system.

Iā€™ve also received some useful general writing advice, notably from @BabbleYaggle who brought to my attention the fact that I have a habit of skipping on important descriptions, especially when it comes to the environment, and how that could cause the reader to make wrong assumptions. Iā€™ve tried to correct that, since I started working on this game.

Also, if youā€™ve already found a bug or something that feels off to you in the game, please let me know.

1 Like

I would love to have a link

Alright, glad to have you on board!

Iā€™ll send you the code once Iā€™ve finished the chapter. (Iā€™m currently at 6k words)

The link will remain the same as before. Youā€™re just going to need to enter a code to unlock the 8th chapter.

1 Like

I canā€™t download the apk, can you give me a link with auto download?

Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/esl2fa5ib7mgk2t/magium%20chapter%207.apk?dl=1

1 Like

I truly like how the MC(with the right stats) can be a badass jokester.:joy:

Yeah, I really am having a lot of fun writing those smart-ass responses of his. :grin:

wowā€¦ you have my support when you sell it, i love how you have writed the fighting scenes :smile:

Thanks! I try to make each battle as interesting as I can, while also using my gaming experience to make all of the skills and spells as balanced as possible. :smile:

@Nemeean_lion if you dont mind me asking, wich program do you use to make this gameĀæ?

Iā€™m using a game maker called Clickteam Fusion 2.5.

I wouldnā€™t really recommend it for creating text games, though. At its core, itā€™s a game engine for making platformers. I initially bought it on a sale, to make puzzle games, but then when I got the idea to start working on a text adventure, I used Clickteam Fusion because I already had it, because I was already familiar with it, and because I can port it on Android, Windows, HTML5 and iOS without too much effort. (although I canā€™t really properly port it for iOS since I donā€™t have a MAC and Iā€™m not yet very inclined to pay their ridiculous 100$ per year fees).

So far I havenā€™t really run into any problems I couldnā€™t fix, so I shouldnā€™t have any trouble finishing the game with this software, but itā€™s definitely not the optimum way to do it.

never heard of it, but it seems interesting.
a new game+ plus feature will be nice to have in a future, that way we dont have to restart the game to try the others skills :slight_smile:

Sorry, I donā€™t understand what you mean by ā€œa new game+ plus featureā€

If you mean that itā€™d be nice to have a restart game button in the menu, Iā€™ll probably be adding one soon.

But you donā€™t need to restart the whole game to try other skills. One way to avoid that would be to not spend your available points in stats immediately after you get them, so that when youā€™ve failed a check, you can load the game and put some points in those stats and see what happens. Thereā€™s 9 save game slots, so you can afford to play like this.

a new game plus+ is a feature that let you restart the game with all your maxed skills, start the game with a powerfull character or give you extra points, ( for example: Witcher 3 have this feature, and after you finish the game you can restart the game with your character keeping all his stuff like armors, weapons,levels, skills etc)
another example can be unnatural from hosted games,it give you a code so when you start a new game it give you a +10 or +5 to some of your stats, i recommend it :smiley:

@anon4518890

Oh, okay, I didnā€™t play Witcher 3 yet because I want to play the games in order, so I didnā€™t know about that feature.

It sounds to me like the opposite of what Diablo is doing. In Diablo 3, basically once you finish the game, you unlock a harder difficulty so you can replay the game on a more challenging level.

With the new game plus feature, it sounds like youā€™re starting the game over on the very easy difficulty (or ā€œIā€™m too young to die!ā€ if you know the game Doom 1).

The thing is that the stats and armors from Witcher 3 wonā€™t carry over to Witcher 4, so they can afford to implement a mode like that after youā€™ve finished the game. My game will technically be finished only after Iā€™m done with all the books. The stats with which you end the first book will carry over to the second book, and then the third book, and so on.

So if I give the player some bonus stats, that will make his playthrough of the 2nd and 3rd books easier than intended.

You gave me an idea, though. Instead of a new game+ option, I might grant a cheat code after youā€™ve finished the first book, provided you paid the 2 dollars to remove the ads. The cheat code will give you enough available points to be able to max all of your stats. That playthrough will however not allow you to progress into the 2nd book, unless youā€™ve also finished the 2nd book by playing fairly.

2 Likes

ey @Nemeean_lion be sure to flag me when you update the game, so i dont miss it :wink:

Same here , awesome game :grin:

Yeah, Iā€™ll send you both the codes for the beta when Iā€™m done with the chapter, hopefully in the next few days. (Iā€™ve already written it, I just need to program it)

1 Like

I just updated the game with the latest chapter and I sent out PMs with the beta code for everyone who sent me messages so far.

If you want access, just send me a PM or leave a message on this thread and I will PM you with the beta code. Iā€™ll be going to sleep now, so Iā€™ll starting sending out the codes tomorrow.

Enjoy!

Hey Nemeean_lion,

I was wondering if you were still giving out beta keys, and if so could you possibly send me code as well. That is if you arenā€™t busy.