Magium - The mage tournament - Now available on Google Play and App Store

Edit: The game is now also available on the iOS App Store at this link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magium-text-adventure-cyoa/id1229498009

Almost a year after I started this WIP, the first book is finally done.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum who has given me advice and feedback, and I’d also like to thank the Choice of games staff for allowing me to host my WIP thread on the forum!

For those who have not followed the previous threads, Magium is a text adventure game where you play as an ordinary guy trying to win a mage tournament against the most powerful mages in the world, in the hopes of winning the grand prize, and using it to fulfill your lifelong dream of becoming a mage yourself.

As you progress, you will also get to know the inhabitants of the continent that the tournament takes place on, and you will learn that a person called the Creator established several utopias in this realm a few hundred years ago, where animals and humans could live in harmony, and where food was created through magic. What you will get to experience throughout the game, however, is the downfall of these utopias, and you can even choose to save them from destruction if you so desire.

Besides the traditional choice making, you also have stats you can level up, and there are different checks in the game to see if you have the necessary level to take a certain action. For example, if your ancient languages level is high enough, you can understand when the animals or monsters speak.

The first book is aproximately 178k words long, and an average playthrough should be about 90k words long. The first book can be played for free, with ads, but in order to unlock the second book (which has not been written yet) you will need to either complete 25 out of 35 achievements, or pay to remove ads for the first book.

Here is the link to the game on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magiumgames.magium

Enjoy!

The official community for Magium is on Reddit, at this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Magium/

75 Likes

Yay im happy to see to your game is out now :grinning:

Your idea to make the second book available only if you either pay or fill up a certain amount of achievement is brilliant. It doesnt force us to pay but it still bring you a good revenue and all it force us to is tofind out more stuff in the game so thats hardly a problem.

4 Likes

@Terrell_Williams

Yeah, I can’t tell you how relieved I am to finally see this on Google Play after almost a year since I’ve started the WIP! :joy:

@cyanide

Thanks! Hopefully, it will pay off. :sweat:

7 Likes

i played the demo a while back but it wasn’t finished. Glad to see it on the play store :slight_smile:

Me too! Hope you’re enjoying the game!

3 Likes

Small update:

I’ve had a few requests, so I decided to include a ''Night mode" for users with amoled screens. (white writing on black screen)

The mode can be activated from the main menu.

Also, thank you all very much for your kind reviews! They really help out a lot!

7 Likes

Pretty fun. I was wondering if Kate is romanceable in this book?

No, Rose is the only romanceable character in this book. Kate will be romanceable in one of the later ones, probably the last one.

8 Likes

will magium be released on the app store?

@Zbez

I am planning to release it for iOS at some point in the distant future, but I’ll probably release it on Steam before that happens.

The thing with iOS is that I need to pay 100 dollars a year just to be able to develop for their platform, and I’d also need a MAC to export the game, and some iOS devices to test it on, and I have none of those. At the very least, I’ll have to wait and see how the game does on Android before exporting it to other platforms.

1 Like

Can you play it on pc?

First off i just want to say that i absolutely love the Magium series so far. I cant get enough of it, I haven’t closed the app for two days straight just from trying to find every little detail. That being said, I created an account on this website because it seems to be the main place that you host your information updates and the only place to get into contact with you. I was wondering if you would consider allowing me to participate in testing of the future books or with anything you might need help with. Now on to questions about book one…

You mentioned in another post that you could only romance Rose in the first book and that there was the possibility to romance Kate in a later book. Would romancing Rose close off the future option to romance Kate? (similar to Mass Effect and The Witcher) To add on to this, How will imported saves work and what effects will your choices have on the next book?

4 Likes

@Noremac

Alright, first of all, I’m always really glad to find out that there are people who like my game enough to actually do all of the achievements, and to try and search every nook and cranny!

I don’t think that I’ll be doing testing anymore, now that I’ve finished the 1st book, but it would be really helpful if you told me of any bugs you found in the chapters, after I upload them.

For your spoilered question:

Rose won’t get upset if you romance anyone after your one night stand, because she never considered it anything serious. Romancing someone else after Rose will, however, close off your chances to have a serious relationship with her (even if the serious relationship will likely only be shortly presented in the epilogue.) With the way I have the plot in my head right now, it is unlikely that Kate will want to have a romantic relationship with you if you already romanced Rose, because she will feel like she’s betraying her friend, even if Rose and Barry aren’t technically together. Since I don’t have every event of what will happen in the next few books mapped out in my head, it is possible that this will change, in the future, but currently, I don’t believe that Kate would be comfortable enough to have a relationship with you if you romanced anyone else during the tournament.

To answer your last question, there won’t be any imported saves when you go on to the next book. You will remain with the same 9 save slots you used during the first book, and you’ll continue the game just like you’ve continued it before, so long as you have the 2nd book unlocked.

The choices will carry over in the same way that they did throughout the first book. All of the next books will be uploaded into the same app, so it will be like a single game that you can play from start to finish, with little breakpoints every time you need to unlock a new book.

@Hugana

So far the game is only available on android, but the next platform I’d like to port the game on would be Windows, through Steam. I shouldn’t have any problems porting the game for Windows, but I’m not sure yet what I need to do to get my game on Steam, and I’m not sure of how many votes I need to get to have my game greenlit, either. Being a text game, I’m not sure how much of a market would be for it on Steam, and I’m afraid that the game might die in the greenlight phase or something, if it won’t get enough votes. I’ll look into it more after I upload the first two chapters or so of the 2nd book.

5 Likes

what about Chrome Web Store?

Okay thank you for the detailed information, I appreciate the support. Good luck with everything.:slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am even more unfamiliar with the process of getting a game on the Chrome Web Store, since I’ve never used it before, even as a consumer.

I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to upload an apk on their site or a html5 application.

I might upload it to the Chrome web store at some point, but I can’t make any promises until I’ve established if I can export my app properly for them.

well if you one anyone else is interested to know how to publish on chrome web store here’s a link to a quick explanation on it https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/publish

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed playing through the first book and can’t wait to get my hands on the second one, do you have much more of an idea than just October for the release of the next book ie mid-late or what?

Ps sorry for my grammar , it never has been my strong suit

Unfortunately, no.

I’ve always been really bad at estimations, and I am already afraid that I might mess this one up, even if it is as vague as it is.

It is also worth noting that what I announced as mid-October, would be the release date for the first chapter of the 2nd book, not the whole book. I only just started writing it, and the first book took me a year to complete, so the whole second book is definitely going to take a while to complete as well.

2 Likes