Magikiras (Finished) - Beta Testers Needed!

Alright. Uploaded the latest version complete with the final chapter (ending). Fixed the final puzzle so that it’s easier to complete as well as adding a Gordian’s knot solution to the bomb puzzle and the engine puzzle as well as several fixes that @Emmelienxd mentioned earlier. So, apart from making corrections, it’s safe to say that Magikiras is now completed. Yay! Current stats for the game is 6.33 mb, 1092758 words (including code) and 112015.9 words per read through based on an average of 10 randomtests. Excuse me while I take a break first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/mrj92bsmjeaj95h/Magikiras.html

One more link to make it easier for people to not scroll up.

8 Likes

It is finished. Yay. :tada: Congratulations on finishing writing this masterpiece. It’s awesome! (Especially Morgan :heart_eyes:)

There are still a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes in this though, so you might want to iron those out before going in for the actual release. I’ll comb through it properly a few times whenever I have about eight hours of consecutive spare time to waste (My last thorough play-through took about five hours, and that was without making notes.)

Yeah tried to iron out the spelling errors using spellcheck on Open Office but there’s only so much that can do.

How the fudge do you get past the final battle with the “artifact”

Either you figure out the combination needed to shut down the engine, disable it with an extremely high device rating or in the newest update, figure out the combination automatically with an extremely high wits rating.

Do you mean the music note combination or the one for the door with the knight puzzle

The music note combination since I’m assuming that this is the final battle that you’re referring to. I don’t think most people have even noticed the keypad puzzle in the first place.

I’m not talking about the note part its after when I do the keypad knight code thingy every option I choose says something about not realizing (I litteraly played it like a minute ago and I can’t remember what it says) and then it restarts the chapter

Ah. Then it’s a worse problem for you because it means that you ran out of time. There is a hidden timer that is increased based on previous actions made throughout the game. The timer will slowly decrease on its own and certain actions will cause it to decrease faster.

How high does device have to be?

Wait so do I have to restart the game because I only have the password for chapter 11

Here’s a brief listing of the actions that contribute to the timer countdown. If you have at least 4 or 5 points, you should be able to rush through Chapter 11 provided you select certain actions that waste time.

1. Keeping the first artifact from falling into enemy’s hand +1
  2. Rescuing the president +1
  3. Retrieving the artifact from the museum +2
  4. Retrieving the artifact from the forest +1
  5. Retrieving the information from the stranger in Corasme +1
  6. Retrieving the plans from the Zawame tower +1
  7. Letting Edgar go free and accepting his offer of help in Chapter 11 +1

Run a check and see what actions weren’t completed. If you have enough time, then just figure out which actions waste time so that you don’t repeat them later.

1 Like

Question, how many of those grids do you have to press? Cause I tried to do it like Larry said (7 grids no?) but the game asks still, which one now?

I just can’t get the last puzzle. I tried using the “cheat” Larry gives you but I still couldn’t get it. Help :sob::sob::sob::sob:

You have to press 7 grids in order. Each time you get press the wrong grid, the grid count resets and you need to start from scratch.

2 Likes

Larry doesn’t give you the direct answer to the puzzle, but nearly. Some of the grids they tell you are followed by the word “flat” (meaning in music that instead of playing the given note, you play the one that’s a half tone lower), for those, instead of just chosing the given grid, you press the one that comes before that. So when they tell you B flat you instead have to chose A# for example

It may be a little bit inapt to use this puzzle just in that scene, especially since it obviously can prevent people from finishing the game: Without any idea about music it can be nearly impossible to get the right answer and the stats needed to solve the puzzle the fast way are higher as most people will have them, especially when they chose a character able to use magic… Using a puzzle that demands a set of special knowledge of the player itself just seems a little bit unfair, when not solving it prevents one from ending the game.

2 Likes

Fair enough. But what would be a legit way to end it then? Scrapping the puzzle is easy but it just feels hollow to me and I’d prefer something other than have very high stats and beat the game.

Perhaps more alternate solutions could be added, or providing a hint for the player when they fail, so they can have a better shot the next time around? Personally, though, I found the puzzle quite satisfying when I finally figured it out (with the help of a musically-inclined friend), but I get that some people might have a bit too much trouble with it.

The crux of the matter is pretty much that it requires special knowledge not every player can have, so changing the whole puzzle or giving more clues per try like @Ahnyks said would be an option.

Though it stays different from the other puzzles as those “only” had negative consequences for the story, so getting a puzzle that can end the game comes also sudden. So another possibility would be to let the player end the game without needing to solve the puzzle but with consequences for the outcomes of the last chapter (like the possibility of the team mates to be injured/killed for example). When combined with the successes / failings of the previous chapters similar to the timer bonuses for chapter 11 it also could be possible to make some variation to prevent people to end up with the “bad” ending because of one puzzle. The obvious downside of that option is that it is surely much work for you, especially considering that you already finished the story, a possible benefit besides much less frustrated players could be a higher replay value.

Still the first idea stays the one with much, much less work for you, so it’s more practical and faster to implement.

Also about the timer in chapter 11, is it possible that in case of to many failures in previous chapters, that it becomes impossible to end the chapter in time? It sounds a little like that from your description. If so, it may be good to add a non-standard game over notice, as starting the chapter a new in cases like that would be redundant. If not, just ignore me.

Alright. I can definitely look into adding more clues during the puzzle and having an alternate means of stopping the engine in case of failure to solving the engine puzzle. It’s already there with one section of the result. I just have to add it to others.

Yes, it is extremely possible to not be able to finish the chapter in time. I can look to adding a non-standard game over in that case.