Lyngbakr - WIP (Last updated 27/03/2021)

Image Drawn by: Raitos (Thank you so much! Give them some love from me<3)
Hey there! I’ve been working on and off on my story, Lyngbakr, for a few months now, and I’ve decided to finally post about it here. It’s my first COG, but I’m trying my best!

You’re a Creature, meaning you have inhuman powers that you now have to learn how to control. After the loss of your brother you aren’t sure how to deal with an even bigger loss, so in turn, you assemble a team of outsiders to fight against the oppressive system. You’re not sure if you can pull off fighting against dragons, as well as an army of people working against creatures like yourself, but at this point, what do you really have to lose?

Here’s what you can expect:

Summary
  • Found family
  • Ability to be trans and/or nb
  • Learning how to control your powers
  • Picking a goal that, if succesful, will change the world around you
  • A beastiary that may come in handy during fights
  • The ability to choose your own pronouns

To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/strxm/lyngbakr/mygame/
Length: 3 chapters, or 48.157 words
NOTE: The update has most likely broken save files, but hopefully it’s been long enough since your last playthrough that you won’t mind this!

Update notes:

Summary

06/12/2020 - Added some more options, added stat changes to some options, sorted out some gamebreaking bugs though I assume there are more to be found (sorry 'bout that!), added some more conversations with Star, save feature
07/12/2020 - Added new character, added changes to the relationship panel between mc and Star, sorted out a gamebreaking bug
15/12/2020 - Made an attempt at fixing the looping bug, more to come
07/01/2021 - Added options to the village beginning, added some stat things to some option that were lacking, added the ability to fail while training
11/02/2021 - Added bug fixes and the beginning of chapter 3

Focus:

Summary

Bug finding/fixing, implementing new character, fixing grammatical errors, figuring out romance and which npcs this will include, adding more choices in chapter 1 (and 2), these choices are for example options on how to interact with the parents of the main character

BUGS THAT I AM AWARE OF:

Summary

Possibly more looping bugs
A few bugs where a reader is given texts that don’t match

I plan on rolling out updates weekly if possible. Any criticism is more than welcome and I’ll take it into consideration.

If you find something that may be insensitive, let me know!

Here’s the link to the official tumblr (I answer asks + talk about my process): tumblr
Discord (I try to update this frequently as it may expire)

Support me on…
Ko-fi
Patreon

Please note!
I was recently released from the hospital so I’m taking things rather slow as of now. Please do not let this discourage you from sending bug reports however, though I may be unable to fix them immediately it helps me a lot and they are always more than appreciated.

What would you like to see next?

Pick 1-3!
  • More scenes with Star
  • More lore
  • More information on the mc’s life before we met Star
  • More characters
  • Dragons (these will come up no matter what, but maybe you want them now)
  • Other (lmk in the comments)
  • More training so I can boost my stats
  • More mine exploration

0 voters

106 Likes

@strxm found this.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I’ll look into it right now!

2 Likes

It should be fixed now, sorry about that! But thank you for bringing it to my attention! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@strxm no problem :+1: . I’ll keep a look out for more.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

@strxm found another one.

2 Likes

Nice! Should be fixed now, I’m looking through chapter 1 at the moment and seeing if I can find any such oversights on my own, but please feel free to report any you run into because I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

@strxm got another one for you.

2 Likes

LOL looks like I created a bug by trying to fix one, smh, thank you!

2 Likes

@strxm Damn so much work! I don’t think I’d survive if a had to do what you do. :sweat:

2 Likes

Eh, I’ll manage, I enjoy it honestly :sweat_smile:
It feels good to see progress being done!

1 Like

lol I was gripped by the story and then that bug came out of nowhere and hit me in the face like a windows error display

3 Likes

Noooo I’m so sorry! I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far though! :sob:

1 Like

@strxm wow this is a really good story! Nice work :+1: :grin: . Well I’ll go through it one more time but after I’ve taken apart my laptop to clean it. Fan is too loud and I’m freaking out.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Best of luck with your laptop :grin:

1 Like

Sounds interesting going to check it out

1 Like

Thank you so much!

It was quite interesting but then this happened

I couldn’t continue because site died thanks to that bug and since there are no saves I would need to restart lol
And not even sure if I could continue if I choose the other options.

Also there was one scene were you could decide how to react to what’s happening to your brother.
Something like “I was screaming”, “I watched” etc.
The sentence for that started with “You…” though, and I feel like it may flow better if you change the options to “…were screaming”, “…watched”, since you started the sentence with “You” already. Just a thought :>

As for romance: ngl, the only reason I play any CoGs are for the romance. I played one without once without knowing (didn’t read premise) and was super disappointed in the end. For me, personally, it’s a must have. I most likely won’t play a game without.
But obviously, if I’m the only one then it would be needless work for you just to accommodate to a selected few. So you should do whatever you feel comfortable with and/or you think the majority might like.

Good luck on this project of yours :smiley:

3 Likes

Aw damn that’s super unfortunate, I’ll get right to that. I’m sorry about the bugs though, I’ll need to do a lot more playtesting the next few days for sure! Thank you for pointing it out I’ll fix it asap!

That’s a very good catch, I agree and I’ll fix that as well because that does sound strange haha

Yeah! I know it’s a must for a lot of people, and while it’s not the main focus of the story I do believe I’ll be able to add it in. It’s not any major change that’s for sure. And if it means the story is more enjoyable for some, that’s simply a plus! And people who don’t want to will simply be able to avoid this.

I’m glad you enjoyed it despite the bug though, it means a lot!
And thank you!:slight_smile:

2 Likes