Lux: City of Secrets - Book 3 of The Evertree Saga by Thom Baylay

Immortal emperor? Are you referring to Luca or someone we haven’t met?

2 Likes

The Immortal Emperor is, as its name implies, the emperor of the setting the series is in. They’re supposed to be extremely powerful, and have been alive several centuries. No one knows if they’re actually immortal, but hey, they might as well be. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hopefully he visits Lux so we can meet him in book 3 then XD

1 Like

He’s mentioned in one of the books at the bookshop.

2 Likes

Just finished Sordwin and wow, was that a rollercoaster, just wondering if we can be expecting to see Winter, Orion and Ruby in this one, since I very much enjoyed their characters?

3 Likes

Yep, all three! And more if you carried over your MC from Evertree Inn.

3 Likes

Yay, that makes me happy, I really enjoyed their characters, though I’m curious how romance with Winter is going to work, especially for my more morally good/heroic character. Haven’t tried bringing anyone from Evertree yet but that’s my next goal

3 Likes

Is Winter even a romancable character, though? I imagine that would be the most emotionally complicated slow burn relationship, if it were. Unhealthy, even, with the anger, lying, backstabbing… Seems to me they see you little more than a mark. :confused:

4 Likes

Winter is a romancable character, there’s a stat in sordwin and I believe Thom confirmed it somewhere.

4 Likes

Yes, he did. Winter is an RO in Lux and the next books.

I see what you’re saying, but there’s probably some sort of character arc involved. Even if there isn’t, it still doesn’t really turn me off from him. I don’t interrupt his actions the same way, either, but personal choice, I guess.

4 Likes

At the end of Sordwin if you choose to spend your time on the ship alone then you can pick something along the lines of still being attracted to Winter despite everything, which marks Winter as your RO in the stats. I agree that it’s probably going to be pretty unhealthy, but I’ve never come across a villainous RO before so I’m curious.

Though you can make it through Sordwin without being backstabbed, or literally stabbed, by Winter

7 Likes

How??

1 Like

Just don’t agree to try and escape Sordwin with them, I think.

Edit: It occurs to me that no one seems to call Winter by their first name. Curious…

4 Likes

Side with Winter then choose to stay and save everyone, if you’ve discovered the creepiness in the sky at the observatory and choose to go there straight away, Winter will even tell you they’re leaving and tell you to give them the box, if you go to explore the town they’ll steal the box and sneak off, you still get the backstabbed achievement but I wouldn’t consider either of those to be backstabbing.

It occurs to me that no one seems to call Winter by their first name. Curious…

Perhaps it’s because they’re mostly referred to as Winter in the text, the only time I remember them being called Hayden is when you sleep with them

6 Likes

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Probably because they’re always refered to as “Captain Winter”. That’s the name that we learn them as throughout the book, so that’s what we associate as their name, I guess. It’s more formal, too, which reflects their top energy rank.

2 Likes

I’m kind of hoping, in Lux, when Winter reappears, to have the option to just start poking everyone to make sure they’re not the changeling in disguise

2 Likes

Like telling each something personal between us like:
L- how’d you fall for me?
Or
D-why did they kick you out of the academy?

3 Likes

Ooh, that could be fun too, and useful for MCs who don’t know about the cold skin thing. Think I’d still be poking as well though, for the confused reactions as much as anything

1 Like

I like that idea! Though I recall Winter was very good at finding responses that answered-but-didn’t-answer a question, especially when you have two Ruby Redbergs! Seems they’ve been around long enough to know how not to appear confused when somebody tries that kind of test…