Lordirish Presents the 5th Annual CScomp

You might do better if you started your own thread to drum up support for your game. This thread is dedicated to everything CSComp 2017 related.

1 Like

I flagged as spam as it really does not belong here.

3 Likes

I was browsing through some topics I haven’t checked in a long time (using my time wisely.) And found this.

@poison_mara has been planning the Masquerade for over a year!

10 Likes

Well… that’s a bit awkward, considering the situation.

Hello, quick question for the judges.

Do we need to submit our game with a cover art or not? Does passing one with a cover art or not affect the score for the game?

Thanks a bunch.

4 Likes

The short answer is no. Of course if the judge really likes your cover art, it might boost their personal score.

6 Likes

Was deciding to make a cover art to take a break from coding and writing. Thank you for the clarification.

5 Likes

Question for everyone, (as someone who might have overestimated the amount of writing time I was going to have to finish later this month, still seeing how I go and trying to keep the topic as vague as possible), if you had to read an unfinished game, what’s a better senario? A really short game that kind of has something of a conclusion and is bug free (probably) or a significantly longer game that fits the theme a little better and had more choices, but cuts off in an obviously unfinished way. I know neither are ideal or will do well, but do you have a preference? There may not be a right or wrong answer. ( I know judges may not want to answer this, asking for anyone’s thoughts :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

I’m not a judge, but just a note from my own experiences last year. I couldn’t finish, and so I ended my unfinished story (it was 120,000 words, but it wasn’t a completed narrative) at an intentional cliffhanger. It seemed to go over well enough. I plastered it with as much theme as I could manage.

And from the Rules:

To finish a complete game in just thirty days is a very difficult challenge. So no, we would rather see a game that is free of bugs and a meaningful story than a complete game.

12 Likes

I’m also starting to doubt myself… it all started very well and for the last 5 days not a single word written (combination of taking some days off and job becoming crazy…) I’m already cutting the scope of my game, but still hoping to submit something anyway!

5 Likes

Writers tend to surprise themselves - so I actually have more faith in you all then you do in yourself. I’m sure @Jacic and @adrao will be fierce competitors this year.

Just keep at it - remember the winner last year said: [quote=“Fiogan, post:251, topic:25334”]
last year. I couldn’t finish,
[/quote]

so don’t quit.

10 Likes

Well, I have a promising start - some sketches on a napkin. Now I just have to write the thing.

11 Likes

On a delayed train from Manchester to London in 1990, Rowling wrote her initial Potter ideas on a napkin.

9 Likes

I’m exactly like you… But if we all drop the ball, then none of us will look bad! :ghost:

5 Likes

I think it would be more useful to present the first scene (that is somewhat complete) of what would later be a big work.

That would fit the masquerade part. The reader gets to explore the mask, and then hopefully one day read the full version :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, too many wip’s not enough time! But hopefully :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Wow, I’m really looking forward to this! Good luck to all the entrants! Hope we can get a chance to read your masterpieces soon :smiley:

4 Likes

If the previous year’s submissions are any indicator this year’s participants stories will be epic! XD.

2 Likes

Finally managed to start coding… maybe 1/3 of the first chapter seems to be working! (then notices that we are half way through the month… mmmmmm)

6 Likes

Easy fix… just divide by zero and create a time paradox, then finish the project in the wormhole and jump back to just before the deadline.

You know, I was always told that dividing by zero is “undefined” but… why can’t it just cancel out the division?
If you are dividing by nothing… then the original variable is not divided at all, thus cancelling the division.
At least, that makes sense to me. :wink:

(Ok, the wormhole is open. Jump in, quick!)

2 Likes