LGBTQ+ Media Recommendations

Spawning off a conversation here – it can be hard to find books/shows/games/movies/podcasts/etc with substantive, quality LGBTQ+ representation, so why not share some favorites?

A standard format could be useful, so maybe:

Name:
Type of Media:
Type of Representation:
Content Warnings:
Availability:
Short Description:

Clarification of fields

Name: What’s it called?
Type of Media: Book/TV Show/Game/Movie/Podcast/Comic/Something Else
Type of Representation: e.g. nonbinary main character, trans lesbian love interest
Content Warnings: e.g. homophobia, transphobia, abuse, sexual violence, racism, etc
Availability: Is it always free, or currently streaming somewhere (specify country, e.g. “US Netflix”)?
Short Description: Try to keep it to 2 sentences or less. A broad overview, and why do you like it.

(I’d like this to be helpful, so if you have better ideas for fields/formatting, let me know!)

Name: Butterfly Soup
Type of Media: game (visual novel)
Type of Representation: queer women, gender-questioning character
Content Warnings: homophobia, ableist language
Availability: free! (pay what you want on itch.io)
Short Description: A funny, heartwarming visual novel about a group of lgbtq high schoolers. It’s incredibly sweet, and also has one of the best musical cues I’ve heard in a vn.

Name: The Strange Case of Starship Iris
Type of Media: podcast
Type of Representation: trans character, lgbq characters, aliens who scoff at the gender binary
Content Warnings:
Availability: free!
Short Description: A very queer narrative podcast about a small ship of smugglers in space, adventuring and maybe subverting an authoritarian government. There’s also a strong feeling of found family, which I love.

Name: Sense 8
Type of media: Netflix Series
Type of representation: Trans, gay, lesbian, cis
Content Warning: sexual innuendo, and phobias regarding lgbt irl, violence, drug abuse, alcohol consumption
Availability: Whole series is available on Netflix
Description: The story of Sense8 begins when the psychic connection of eight strangers from different cultures and parts of the world is “birthed” by a woman called Angelica, who kills herself to avoid capture by a man named “Whispers”. The eight eventually discover they now form a cluster of “sensates”: human beings who are mentally and emotionally linked, can sense and communicate with each other, and can share their knowledge, language, and skills.
(copypasta because I suck at making summary)

I wanted to add some games but i’m not sure on how to write the summary or the content warnings because some are still in development so it could change :weary:

I’ll try…

Summary

Name: The Arcana
Type of Media: Visual Novel/Dating Sim
Type of Representation: NB love interest, player can be whatever they choose. routes open to all so can be wlw/mlm/wlm/mlw
also, rumored that in one of the routes two LI that you don’t romance get together and they’re both women
Content Warnings: uh… death? kinda and violence
Availability: free to play. some choices you pay for but it’s optional and the paid choices have no effect on gameplay, they’re just little fun side things. also in game currency can be won via the mini games if you’re patient.
Short Description: (copying from the wiki because i can’t do descriptions)
The Arcana is a luxurious and interactive visual story and otome inspired dating sim for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac. You can choose your own romance and date either Asra, Nadia or Julian. The mystery unfurls in 22 segments that correspond to the 22 Major Arcana cards in a Tarot deck.

Summary

Name: Stellamore
Type of Media: VN/Dating sim
Type of Representation: disabled characters, lgbt and characters from different races/religions
Content Warnings: none that i’m aware of YET
Availability: Free (i don’t remember hearing anything about paying for it so far)
Short Description: (taken from their page too)
The player will step into the shoes of one of the few approved Human ambassadors (whose name and pronouns can be set by the player), tasked with negotiating peace during a tense political summit. But more than an Ambassador, the player is also an oracle, one of the rare individuals burdened by visions of the stars and the ever changing future.

Summary

Name: When the Night Comes
Type of Media: vn/dating sim (yea i got A LOT OF THESE)
Type of Representation: lgb
Content Warnings: so far " R18 for harsh language (rating will be updated with further warnings as the game progresses)"
Availability: free (for now)
Short Description: When The Night Comes is an episodic fantasy otome game with supernatural elements.

You are a Hunter, and you’ve been called to the quiet town of Lunaris to assist the local Enforcers with an investigation into a series of increasingly unsettling murders.

There’s also two podcasts but i haven’t gotten very far with them but they’re supposed to have gay protagonists

Bibliography

https://libguides.depaul.edu/c.php?g=253645&p=1691064

African-American and Diasporic LGBTQ Literature:

James Baldwin— Giovanni’s Room

Becky Birtha— The Forbidden Poems

Cheryl Clarke— Living as a Lesbian

Anita Cornwell— Black Lesbian in White America (available in I-Share)

Countee Cullen— My Soul’s High Song: The Collected Writings of Countee Cullen, Voice of the Harlem Renaissance

Samuel Delany— The Einstein Intersection

Melvin Dixon— Vanishing Rooms

Alice Dunbar-Nelson— The Works of Alice Dunbar-Nelson

Larry Duplechan— Blackbird

Jewelle Gomez— The Gilda Stories

Angelina Weld Grimke— Selected Works of Angelina Weld Grimke

E. Lynn Harris— Invisible Life

Essex Hemphill— Brother to Brother: New Writings by Black Gay Men

Langston Hughes— The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes

June Jordan— Kissing God Goodbye: Poems, 1991-1997

Jackie Kay— Trumpet

Randall Kenan— Let the Dead Bury Their Dead and Other Stories

Nella Larson— An Intimation of Things Distant: the Collected Fiction of Nella Larsen

Alain Locke— The Works of Alain Locke

Audre Lorde: Zami: A New Spelling of My Name; Sister Outsider

Claude McKay— Selected Poems of Claude McKay

Cherry Muhanji— Her

Bruce Morrow An Anthology of Fiction by Gay Men of Arican Descent

Pat Parker— Movement in Black: the Collected Poetry of Pat Parker, 1961-1978

Carl Phillips— Pastoral Poems

Assotto Saint— Spells of a Voodoo Doll: The Poems, Fiction, Essays and Plays of Assotto Saint

Ntozake Shange— For Colored Girls Who have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow is Enuf

Ann Allen Shockley— Loving Her

Barbara Smith— Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology

Wallace Thurman— The Collected Writings of Wallace Thurman: A Harlem Renaissance Reader

Alice Walker— The Color Purple

Asian and Asian-American LGBTQ Literature:

Justin Chin— Attack of the Man-Eating Lotus Blossoms

Lawrence Chua— Gold by the Inch

David Henry-Hwang— M. Butterfly

Alice Hom— Q & A: Queer in Asian America

Lonny Kaneko— Coming Home from Camp

Willyce Kim— Dancer Dawkins and the California Kid

Quentin Lee— Dress Like a Boy

Yukio Mishima— Confessions of a Mask

Barbara Noda— Strawberries

Dwight Okita— Crossing with the Light

Han Ong— The Disinherited

Shyam Selvaduri Funny Boy: A Novel

Kitty Tsui— Breathless: Erotica

Norman Wong— Cultural Revolution: Stories

Merle Woo— Yellow Woman Speaks

Chea Villanueva— Bulletproof Butches

Latino/Latina LGBTQ Literature:

Ana Castillo— Loverboys: Stories

Gil Cuadros— City of God

Arturo Islas— The Rain God: A Desert Tale

Jaime Manrique— Twilight at the Equator

Carmen de Monteflores— Possessions

Cherrie Moraga— Heroes and Saints and Other Plays

Michael Nava— The Little Death

Terri de la Pena— Margins

Juanita Ramos— Compañeras: Latina Lesbians: an anthology

John Rechy— City of Night

Sheila Ortiz Taylor— Faultline

Carla Trujillo— What Night Brings

Native North American LGBTQ Literature:

Paula Gunn Allen— The Woman Who Owned the Shadows

Beth Brant— Writing as Witness: Essay and Talk

Chrystos— Not Vanishing

Janice Gould— Beneath My Heart (on order)

Maurice Kenny— Backward to Forward: Prose Pieces

Terri Meyette and Anita Valerio— A Gathering of Spirit: Writing and Art by North American Indian Women (anthology)

Vickie Sears— Simple Songs

Terry Tafoya— Native American Two-Spirit Men

North American and European Caucasian LGBTQ Literature:

Richard Amory— Song of the Loon

Charlie Anders— Choir Boy

Ann Bannon— Beebo Brinker

Djuna Barnes— Nightwood

Alison Bechdel— Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic

Rita Mae Brown— Rubyfruit Jungle

William S. Burroughs— Naked Lunch

David Ebershoff— The Danish Girl

Leslie Feinberg— Stone Butch Blues

E.M. Forster— Maurice

Nancy Garden— Annie on My Mind

Jean Genet— Our Lady of the Flowers

Allen Ginsberg—Howl (in Collected Poems, 1947-1997 )

Radclyffe Hall— The Well of Loneliness

Patricia Highsmith— The Price of Salt

Thea Hillman— Intersex (For Lack of a Better Word)

Christopher Isherwood— A Single Man

Mark Marlis— American Studies

Pat McCabe— Breakfast on Pluto

Vin Packer— Spring Fire

Annie Proulx— Brokeback Mountain

Jane Rule— Des ert of the Heart

Sappho— Sappho: A New Translation

Hubert Selby Jr.—“The Queen Is Dead” in Last Exit to Brooklyn

Colm Toibin— The Master

Gore Vidal— The City and the Pillar

Sarah Waters— Tipping the Velvet

Edmund White— A Boy’s Own Story

Zoe Whittall— Holding Still for As Long As Possible

Kathleen Winter— Annabe l

Jeanette Winterson— Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit

Virginia Woolf Orlando

Name: Rose of Segunda
Type of Media: Visual Novel/Dating Sim
Type of Representation: Two f/f routes
Content Warnings: Nothing that stood out to me. (The secret romance path is incest, but that isn’t present unless you pursue it).
Availability: Windows (https://store.steampowered.com/app/858050/The_Rose_of_Segunda/)
Short Description: You play a young woman who has been groomed her entire life to marry the prince. His two-week-long birthday celebration is when his bride will be chosen. During these weeks, you can follow the plan and pursue the prince or set your eye elsewhere. (4 male (1 is hidden), 2 female ROs)
Why I recommend this: Both of the female paths are well-written and involve distinct, interesting characters. This game is very cute and each romantic path has its own flavor. Also! A sequel is in progress. It allows you to continue with any of the first game ROs, or to romance someone new (2 new ROs: 1 male, 1 female).

Name: ContraPoints
Type of Media: YouTube Channel
Type of Representation: Trans-Woman, and technically others but it’s complicated
Content Warnings: Oh my god so many. It’s a political YouTube Channel that talks about various controversial topics. I don’t think I could list all the possible content warnings, especially as someone who isn’t very sensitive to these things. Like her most recent video is straight up named after a certain transphobic internet meme specifically for the purposes of getting the kinds of people who’d search for that meme to have it prominently displayed in their search results.
Availability: Wherever there uncensored access to YouTube.
Short Description: Natalie Wynn is a left wing political and social video essayist who does some really interesting, unique, and well thought out videos about various topics of varying controversy. She uses tons of costumes and characters played by herself to examine and/or communicate her ideas. She also has the dubious distinction of having started her channel before she identified as transgender, so her earlier videos are as a cis-gender man with a penchant for cross dressing. She has a somewhat dark sense of humor so there are a lot of things in her videos that I’m sure some would find offensive, but I think she’s a fantastic communicator… Like a Neil DeGrasse Tyson of controversial social topics.

So… nobody has mentioned the dragon age series? Tsk Tsk tsk, in disappointed. I’m going to write the summary of this precious game first thing in the morning if nobody has written it until then.

Also, a great and informative topic here! I’m always searching like crazy to find some fun games and/or tv shows with at least a tiny bit lgbt representation and this topic will make that this a lot easier.

Name: LE VOLUME SUR PRINTEMP/ÉTÉ
Type of Media: Visual Novel
Type of Representation: Lesbian
Content Warnings: Hum…none I guess?
Availability: on Steam
Short Description: About an all girl catholic school and girls falling in love during the 4 seasons . Hence the name . Beautifuly made , voiced and nothing pervy like some others .

@Gabs omg! I second that recommandation! That one is Soo Soo Hilaaaaaaaarious !!! Highly recommanded .

@FireFlyy well…I could…but I’m feeling horribly lazy…so I let you do tha Honor…:wink:

Maurice

Name: Maurice
Type of Media: Movie, novel, and I believe a stage performance?
Type of Representation: Gay
Content Warnings: Side character sent to prison for buggery IIRC, era it’s set in is homophobic, but most discussion about it comes from Maurice and Clive.
Availability: The movie is on Amazon Prime last I checked, and the book is around £7 on Amazon.
Short Description: (Taken from IMDB) Two male English school chums find themselves falling in love at Cambridge. To regain his place in society, Clive gives up his forbidden love, Maurice (pronounced “Morris”) and marries. While staying with Clive and his shallow wife, Anne, Maurice finally discovers romance in the arms of Alec, the gamekeeper. Written from personal pain, it’s E.M. Forster’s story of coming to terms with sexuality in the Edwardian age.

God's Own Country (A personal favourite)

Name: God’s Own Country
Type of Media: Movie.
Content Warnings: A couple of f-bombs get dropped between the MCs. Second MC suffers a few scenes of racial abuse from the first and some bloke in a pub. Also a dead lamb and calf, in case that’s a turn off.
Availability: Netflix (UK), haven’t checked if it’s in the US :confused:
Short Description: (Taken from Wikipedia) God’s Own Country is a 2017 British drama film written and directed by Francis Lee in his feature directorial debut. The film stars Josh O’Connor and Alec Secăreanu. The plot follows a young sheep farmer in Yorkshire whose life is transformed by a Romanian migrant worker. The film was the only UK-based production to feature in the world drama category at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the world cinema directing award.

Carol (Another favorite)

Name: Carol
Type of Media: Movie, novel (named The Price of Salt rather than Carol)
Type of Representation: Lesbian
Content Warnings: Part of the plot revolves around Carol’s husband trying to incriminate her for homosexual acts to gain custody of their child. There’s also a conversation about homosexuality between Therese and Richard but I can’t recall how it turned out.
Availability: Also on Netflix (UK). Again, haven’t checked if it’s in the US. The book is likely on Amazon.
Short Description: Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara) spots the beautiful, elegant Carol (Cate Blanchett) perusing the doll displays in a 1950s Manhattan department store. The two women develop a fast bond that becomes a love with complicated consequences.

Samurai Flamenco

Name: Samurai Flameco (サムライフラメンコ)
Type of Media: Animation
Type of Representation: Gay, lesbian, bisexual (not the greatest example but they’re there, I guess.)
Content Warnings: There is a drag/crossdressing joke in the background of a scene quite early on if that isn’t people’s cup of tea but otherwise the show is fine. Also some gore.
Availability: UK Netflix again, haven’t checked US. Also on Crunchyroll possibly, haven’t checked either since a friend and I just streamed it on another site :man_shrugging:
Short Description: Generally lighthearted show about a quirky, hero-obsessed model who takes up the mantle of Samurai Flamenco - a vigilante hero of his own design. He fights crime alongside his cop friend and a group of idols!
The gay scenes are generally subtle and take a bit of reading between the lines until the end. Like I said, not the best but I love the show so :cowboy_hat_face:

First, here is a link to a website with a database that collects… pretty much any kind of LGBTQ representation in games and visual novels, it also provides filters to sort of the kind of representation you are more interested in seeking out.

https://queerlyrepresent.me/

Other than that:

Name: Pride
Type of Media: Movie (2014)
Type of Representation: LGBT activism, mostly gay and lesbian
Content Warnings: Homophobia, AIDS
Availability: I remember I rented it a while ago, not sure about streaming services…
Short Description: The movie is based on a real event that took place in the UK in 1984, about a group of gay and lesbian activists that decided to support an union of miners during a strike. Despite the seriousness of the subject, the movie provides many funny and endearing scenes, with an overall heartwarming feeling, it can also introduce some people to an historical event that they might not be familiar with.

Name: Hiveworks
Type of Media: Webcomics
Type of Representation: It might vary depending of the comic, but I found examples of gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, asexual, polyamorous and NB characters
Content Warnings: It might vary depending of the comic, but I found examples of homophobia and transphobia
Availability: free! here’s a link
Short Description: It’s a little bit complicated. Hiveworks is not a single work but a website that publishes free webcomics, not all of them have LGBTQ content but a lot of them do.
I don’t follow all of them, so I’m a little unsure about what kind of content you might found. There’s a LGBTQ category, although that does not include all webcomics that feature secondary or even main LGBTQ characters. Still, it’s a nice site to look for some diverse content if you don’t mind searching for a bit.

If we’re allowed to mention stuff that isn’t quite out yet:

Name: Yearning: A Gay Story
Type of Media: Visual Novel
Type of Representation: Mainly gay and bisexual male, but does contain a lesbian couple. Also, quite a bit of racial representation, too.
Content Warnings: Homophobia; also, there’s a character who can come on far too strong if you’re not interested in him.
Availability: Should be coming out tomorrow; my understanding is that the game will be free of charge (but I’ll update this then).
Short Description: Chris (name can be changed) is just starting his first year at college, and is looking for a boyfriend. It’s mostly a slice-of-life story and can be alternately funny and serious.

Update: It’s out now, and the game is free, although with optional charges for things like wallpapers and a guidebook.

Name: The Rain Wilds Quartet (Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven, City of Dragons, Blood of Dragons)
Type of Media: Books
Content Warnings: Marital rape (though she never calls it that, it’s hard to call it anything else), a couple of side characters are also raped. Consistent readers of Robin Hobb will know she tackles sensitive topics with sensitivity, but doesn’t pull her punches. On the plus side, Mr. Marital Rapist ends up being eaten by a dragon.
Availability: Amazon? I get 90% of my books there so
Short Description: A clutch of dragon eggs have hatched for the first time in centuries…but something’s not right. They’re weak and underdeveloped, and causing chaos outside town. A group of outcast adventurers are gathered to shepherd the dragons through the perilous Rain Wilds, looking for the ruins of a lost city where they should be able to make a home.

Name: The Copper Cat Trilogy (The Copper Promise, The Iron Ghost, The Silver Tide)
Type of Media: Books
Type of Representation: Gay humans, gay dragon gods?? Also there’s a badass lesbian couple amongst the side characters
Content Warnings: Nope. Well, I don’t think so? One of the main characters got kicked out of his holy knights’ order for sleeping with another guy, but I think they were supposed to be celibate, unless I’m remembering wrongly. Aside from that I’d say there’s just standard fantasy bloodshed
Availability: I guess you could try local book stores if you don’t like Amazon
Short Description: Swords-for-hire are tasked with helping some guy uncover a magic artifact, accidentally turn him into a wizard and release a furious dragon goddess that wants to destroy the world. You know, the usual.

Name: Outremer Trilogy (Tower of the King’s Daughter, Feast of the King’s Shadow, Hand of the King’s Evil)
Type of Media: Books, again
Content Warnings: Surprisingly, no?
Availability: Any good book store (or also Amazon)
Short Description: Set in a magicked-up version of the Crusades, a group of young people find themselves in a perilous trek across the desert, avoiding djinni and templar knights, to unlock the secrets of a gory supernatural power and a hidden kingdom. Also, there are love triangles written properly, to make you like all three people involved - miraculous!

Other books with cool gay/lesbian characters but I didn’t feel like typing up an entire summary for them: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms/Dreamblood/The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin, Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Seven Erikson (though this is a massive series of ten brick-sized books, so if you try to read it just for the lesbian couples then you’ll get very impatient).

The Legends of the Red Sun series (Nights of Villjamur, City of Ruin, The Book of Transformations, The Broken Isles) has a gay protagonist in the first book, and a trans woman in the third, but they live in a prejudiced society, and it’s debatable whether they actually get happy endings. Honestly, it’s been a while and I don’t remember what happens to the guy at the end. I think he’s still alive?

I would also recommend staying far, far away from The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. God, those books were horrible. I threw the last one against a wall and refused to finish it.

A few youtubers

Summary

Name: Nyx Fears
Type of Media: Youtube
Type of Representation: Transwoman
Content Warnings: uh… like i said in the description she talks about horror movies and stuff so there’s gonna be like violence and well… horror.
Availability: free (youtube)
Short Description: She talks a lot about horror movies and stuff

Name: nightmind
Type of Media: youtube
Type of Representation: bisexual
Content Warnings: like nyx most of nighminds stuff is horror related or just spooky/uneasy stuff
Availability: free
Short Description: talks a lot about ARGs and obscure youtube videos/channels

Name: Blair White
Type of Media: youtube
Type of Representation: transwoman
Content Warnings: talks about issues in society and stuff so tw for all the stuff that comes with it i guess?
Availability: free
Short Description: um… basically what i wrote in the content warnings part

Name: Koboyashi San Chi No Maid Dragon
Type of Media: Anime
Type of Representation: Lesbian, specifically Shoujo Ai, non sexual, just cute and funny.
Content Warnings: Too much cute
Availability: Google Crunchyroll Chief
Short Description: A story about a busy overworked office lady who one day gets drunk as fuck and meets a dragon in the forest, helps her out and the dragon falls for her after Koboyashi gets her drunk as fuck.

Then the next day the dragon comes to Koboyashis house to become her maid because of something Koboyashi said the day before. The anime is very very cute and amusing. Koboyashi even becomes the guardian of a little child dragon and actually looks after her and shits fucking adorable.

I also recommend the Chinese manga SQ: Begin with your name, good shit chief, lesbian relationship, very slow romance but its good.

It can be found on a site called MangaRock, and many other sites but I use this one, and when you are on any of these sites just go into the search section and select Yuri or Yaoi, Yuri = Lesbian Yaoi= Gay

Heaps of stuff for you to read

Name : Mass effect Serie

Type of Media: Game

Type of Representation: Gay, Lesbi , Bi , Hetero

Content Warnings: uh…shooter game?

Availability: EA Origin or Steam

Short Description:

You play as commander shepard , you can choose to play as male or female . The game serie is in 3 games (So thats Mass effect 1 , 2 and 3) . While you shoot left and right , you gather friends . And those friends can be romanced .

Mass effect 1 : 1 romance for male-female . 1 for male only , 1 for female only .

Mass effect 2 : 3 romances for male only , 3 romances for female only , 1 fling for male-female . 1 turn you down for male-female . 1 psycho for male-female . and 1 more romance for male-female but you have to buy the dlc to see it .

Mass effect 3: again previous romance can be moved trough all 3 games with a save .
so here for male only : 5 romances choices . for female 3 romance choices . for Bi 4 romances choices .

that come down to :
hetero male : 4
hetero female: 2
Lesbi: 1
Gay male : 1
Bi: 2
fling: 2

you can read more here : https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Romance

Now I’m gonna cover Mass effect Andromeda , which is supposed to be a sequel (it’s not ) .

Name: Mass effect Andromeda

Type of Media: Game

Type of Representation: Same as previous title .

Content Warning: none .

Availability: Trough EA Origin.

Short Description: Mass effect Andromeda happen between Mass effect 2 and before the 3rd . While commander shepard stay in the milky way , a rag tag of all the species band together and leave home forever…seeking the Andromeda Cluster…away from home…to new horizons .

For they are the hope of everyone…Dun Dun Dun…

ahem

Male only romance : 2
female only romance : 1

Gay male : 1
Lesbi: 1

Bi: 3
Fling : 2

you can see the roaster here : https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Romance_(Mass_Effect:_Andromeda)

Oh when I say male only…or female only…it mean hetero XD

To add to this, Mass Effect 1 can be modded (on PC at least) to let you have same sex relationships. The pronouns other characters use will be wrong and many of the lines are unvoiced, but the save will carry over* to ME2 and be referenced in ME2/ME3 (with proper pronouns).

*There might be some stuff you need to do to import the saves properly, it’s been a looong time since I’ve done it. The initial mod is on Nexus, and premade save files with the romances toggled for ME1/ME2 do exist if you want to skip either.

you mean to romance orientation locked romance , right? cose we can already have same sex romance with Liara :sweat_smile:

Yep, the locked ones, sorry!
I’ve always mentally lumped Liara into a different category than samesex because of the asari thing, but it pretty much is haha.

I didn’t add those…and each game serie had it…because it’s up to the individual . Some peoples frown on mod that make a gated romance…well avaible . If peoples want those , they can look them up :smirk: