LGBTQ and Feminism Issues

@FayI, @HarrisPS - I know this is a digression, but I just want to say that it is cool to meet other people who worked in the BG 2 fan mod scene. The first one I worked on was Tashia, as well as other stuff. Heh, then NWN came along…

Anyways, back on topic:
I just want to say that I’m glad to see people who have had positive experiences as well. It can be easy to dwell on the bad parts, but when something good is done, it should also be mentioned.

As I think is obvious, I was also one of the older generation who got into gaming at the start, and I did experience a lot of the stereotypical behavior. Now, was it all males? Of course not; but experiences, like reviews, the negatives definitely tend to be remembered more than the positives.

6 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time complaining about Bioware when I truly am fond of them, so here goes with more positivity.

The Liara romance in Mass Effect 1 meant a lot to me. My hardass ex-gang Shepard being protective of her soft nerdy archaelogist gf… neither one died… adorable.

There was a bunch of backlash from Fox News and Jack Thompson and I learned that my parents are raging homophobes that I need to never tell anything ever. But just that one bit of positive representation meant so much to me as a lil baby gay.

I loved Isabela in DA2 as well and I’m sad there was so much negative feedback about her and about the DA2 “romance anyone” design choice. I also could have done without the sex-shaming stuff Aveline said but otherwise. Let me marry her AND Fenris and run away to be pirates together.

6 Likes

Oh man, same. In terms of ease of access it’s so much better! And I really don’t like the criticism some people went for - “as if all four people into you just happen to be bisexuality omg so unrealistic” - and I’m there looking at my social group counting up Bi Peeps on both hands!

5 Likes

Ahhh, I’m so excited that you worked on Tashia, that’s so cool! I love it when developers and BG2 modders cross over! :smiley:

Isabela is fabulous and I would be absolutely into a Hawke/Fenris/Isabela trio romance! I have a lot of love for the DA2 romances and the fact that they’re all bi. At the same time I’m really glad about the variety of orientations for the romance options in Inquisition - I like the spread for different orientations and love interest tastes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree but at the same time when I replay Inquisition for the nth time and still romance Cullen it would be nice to play as a guy and have a break from Samantha Traynor’s VA, as awesome as she is!

1 Like

I do think the game discussion is overtaking this thread, perhaps we should move it to the games thread and focus more on the topic of the thread going forward?

Maybe a person would be willing to go through recent posts and let a moderator know which (if any) should be transferred there, too?

2 Likes

I agree partially, but I think the discussion fits in both threads. We are discussing specifically LGBT+ stuff in the games. If it split off into more unrelated gaming talk I’d agree. For now, since it’s still LGBT+ heavy talk, I think it should probably just stay here.

2 Likes

I hope don’t sound rude but I don’t think the latest post should go to games zone because thematically the style of posting and theme in general don’t fit.

The games thread is basically a casual meme filled video fulled thread where topic is not serious in any moment. And most people there doesn’t care feminism or lgtb situations they are for the games and the hype.

Here games are commented in base to the nature of its content and how depicted Lgtb and women.

The difference in how both threads relates to gaming is like day to night. Then people who just want meme and lolz won’t be happy to find a number of threads about social stuff
Then we will accused of Pandering them.

And being sincere I don’t want read millions of memes lolz about shooters I don’t care at all. When I want discuss the role playing options and feminism and lgtb in gaming . Sorry I am grumpy like that

5 Likes

Would an effective compromise be to spin off another thread for “LGBTQ and Feminism in Other Games”? :thinking: Where “other” is non-choicescript. That’d provide a place to talk about those issues outside a “casual meme filled video fulled thread” without dominating this thread either.

6 Likes

I don’t think discussing specific gaming examples here, since this is already a gaming site by nature is excessive or unwarranted. As Mara said, the other thread is mostly for casual memes and hype that would drown out this type of discussion and opening lots of thread only clutters up the forum .
But I’m not nor have I ever been a mod or developer.

So what do you think @Eiwynn

3 Likes

It just ends up being a bit to skim through for people who aren’t familiar with the games being discussed :man_shrugging:t2: But at the same time I can see that the casual game thread would not really be the place for that conversation either. I think this has demonstrated that there’s plenty enough for people to talk about in an “LGBTQ and Feminism in Other Games” thread that it would be able to sustain an ample and interesting and worthwhile enough discussion to merit a specialized thread of its own.

5 Likes

What I think is: The issues involved in gaming have passed the point of being “general” in nature and has turned specific in nature.

As per the very first post by Rachel:

Emphasis, mine.

The last 60+ posts in this general thread were game related and of those 60, about 40 were bioware specific … perhaps it is time to spin off a new topic that deals specifically with games and relationships, which is the core concern of the last 60+ posts.

Then create a new thread so these relevant posts may be transferred to it. You want to be a regular – then take the initiative and create a specific topic thread, instead of waiting for others to do it.

I am not saying these 60+ posts are off-topic but merely pointing out that the topic is turning to a more specific pointed discussion, that perhaps, is better off in its own topic separate and distinct from both this thread and the games thread.

My original post suggesting a move to the games thread was off-mark, somewhat, but the post served the purpose to spark this little side-bar which was needed. So sorry my suggestion was not perfect but the concern expressed is still valid and still should be addressed.

@poison_mara - I could just move the posts I feel should be moved but instead, since you are so passionate about the gaming topic and you are trying to show you should be a regular, why don’t you go through the 60+ posts and help determine which of them are general and which deserve to be moved to a thread you can make that is focused on the specific…

Thoughts from everyone?

6 Likes

@Eiwynn, I don’t think Mara’s on at the moment, but I can make a new thread/go through the recent game posts.

I assume I can’t move posts though – what’s the way to talk about things to move? A range of post numbers?

ETA: There’s now a thread for talking about LGBTQ and feminist issues in specific games, so we don’t clog this more general channel.

2 Likes

ya, just make a list of the post numbers … then a leader or moderator can make the actual moves.

I wanted to give Mara the chance to make the thread since she is angling for regular status and is trying to find ways of getting there. If you want to do so, yourself, go ahead.

Edit:

If you want to make a thread (any thread) that is something you should do … just be sure there are no existing threads of the same topic or you are not making multiple threads of the same type ( for example: poll thread after poll thread)

2 Likes

I noticed someone suggested making a new thread for LGBTQ and Feminism in gaming in general, I guess someone could make a new thread?(I would but I don’t know how many threads I can make on here.)

1 Like

@Eiwynn: 289, 291-292, 294-299, 305-306, 343-422 (going by post number when I click the link button, which is different from post number in the scroll-y sidebar?)

The break in the middle is more general stuff, and some discussion of being a woman/queer in gaming spaces in general, which I think seems fine for this thread (rather than the gaming-specific one).

3 Likes

Here is a great article:

3 Likes

This geekxgirls thread starts off ugly and turns brilliant. “Netflix, where’s the series?” indeed. Wasn’t sure whether to post here or in “Game Ideas for authors” thread…

http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=11214&fbclid=IwAR1B7DYhG-mxpb1IPRRHlPlwb9fUZPH_HReal0RzTyO27xBjvUNpf0-Hqz0

6 Likes

Hope we could join the islands we like, I´d love the bisexual buccaneers of two way bay^^

Okay, so, what I don’t understand is why are the gay men and lesbians separated, but the straight people aren’t? :confused: Surely to provide a fair test, the straight men and women would need to be on their own islands, too… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes