Let's Talk About Movies!

i also saw Guardians of the Galaxy and I enjoyed it. I didn’t really like the power of friendship and sibling love and hugging, but Disney will be Disney so I could ignore it. Aside from that I think it’s a pretty good movie, Chris Pratt is still very handsome but also approachable (this is a meme in case someone dont get it), kinda disappointed Batista didnt powerbomb anyone in this movie. Also i can’t believe Vin Diesel got even less lines in this movie than he did in the other one, at least he didnt mumble lul

Ragnarok was also the name given to a Cyborg clone of Thor Iron Man and Yellowjacket (Hank Pym… also secretly a Skrull at the time) created after Thor supposedly died in the previous Ragnarok during the Civil War comic event. Not surprisingly Cyborg Thor went evil and had to be put down later.

after killing the growing man…I forget his name but stark mentioned something about having to buy sixty grave plots as no one could shrink him down.

Yeah that was Black Goliath, Bill Foster… one of Hank Pym’s old size changing buddies.

really, I thought it was just Goliath?

He used to be called Black Goliath but I suppose when his nephew became the new Goliath it was a tad politically incorrect to keep calling him that?

I was going to ask how everyone found the new Guardians. it’s interesting, some of the best Marvel films are good because they mix the superhero genre with other things. The first movie was action but it flirted with comedy a lot, and the second one feels a bit like a comedy film that plays with action (but I feel a bit unsure writing that, when I remember all the dramatic sequences).

I liked it, even though I think it put too many characters on its plate, it was nice visiting this group of anti heroes. And damn, I liked Youndu.

And just a few minutes ago, I finished watching Her. It was on my list for… quite a while, actually. I thought it was interesting. It’s a bit unique, with the hues that make it seem dreamy, and the way people dress and how the camera lingers on the characters for a while after they finish talking. It clearly has a lot of things it wants to say about the now.

But, man, Joaquín Phoenix can act, huh.

In prep for watching new movies in franchises I tend to re-watch the older movies, so with Alien: Covenant out and me seeing it tomorrow I have seen Prometheus tonight for the first time since 2012.

Got to say it still holds up nicely given it’s basically an Alien movie without the Xenos themselves, but since I love the Universe of the Alien franchise as much as the monsters I didn’t mind, and whilst it doesn’t overly answer much about who the Engineers/Space Jockeys actually are or why they elected to make the stuff which will I assume eventually create the Xenomorphs with enough kooky life cycles. The Weyland corporation are as self centred and inhuman as ever, and I do like the characters of David and Doctor Liz Shaw (weird being a massive Doctor Who fan knowing there are two of those in fiction now) so I’m happy to hear they’re back for Alien: Covenant, even if just in more supporting roles. Plus you have Idris Elba, Guy Pierce and Charlize Theron so nice cast. Science and some of the premise is a big goofy at times but you gotta love the ‘super facehugger’ and the Engineers themselves.

Anyway, will have to see how Alien: Covenant holds up! After all, big things have small beginings. :wink: (I also wonder whether I should finally sit down and watch the apparently bad Alien movies - Resurrection and the two AVP films.)

I started watching some movies that I had pending, and today I saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I was genuinely surprised how good it was. I barely knew anything about it before, but I felt really connected to the main character, I wish I had seen this movie when I was still in high school.

And I’ve have to say that I really liked the acting, Logan Lerman and Ezra Miller were really good, but the biggest surprise was Emma Watson, despite the fact she wasn’t as good as them. I had always trouble seeing her in any role that wasn’t Hermione Granger, but this time I was actually seeing her character, not just Emma Watson. I saw a dubbed version, so I don’t know how she is in the original but I was really pleased with it.

I totally recommend this movie.

Any of you into animated movies, by any chance? The only brush I had with animation was with a film called Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back or some such thing and it was T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. So when my son started pestering us that he wanted to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 (the first part he had apparently come across at a friend’s place and loved it), I was hardly enthusiastic. But it was his birthday (this was back in the year 2014) and I just couldn’t say no since he was a die-hard fan of these dragon games based on the same characters from the movie. So (sigh) I tagged along. And, it was the best thing I could ever have done! I mean, such wonderful animation, such fascinating characters and a super amazing storyline to go with it. It wasn’t like animation at all, the drama unfolding on screen. What’s more, the 3D effects were fantastic! I came back home and watched the first part on TV; it was pretty good too but since not 3D, that magic was a bit lost. Haven’t watched any other since then but am eagerly awaiting the third part which is still in the making. Any more recommendations for animated flicks which are as good/better?

Pretty much all the Pixar movies are wonderful. IMHO, you’re missing out as a dad by not watching at least some of them with your kiddos. The Incredibles might be my all-time favorite movie, animated or otherwise. Wall-E, The first Cars movie, Inside Out, and of course the entire Toy Story trilogy are all awesome as well.

And who’s seeing Wonder Woman this weekend? I’m taking my 11-year-old; she is very excited.

And it’s currently at a 96% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes; so I’m going into this expecting a very good movie (and Gal Gadot on the screen in every scene, please!)

Ditto to everything Eric recommended, plus Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Finding Nemo, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. Maybe that’s enough to be getting on with. :slight_smile:

I’m excited for Wonder Woman as well, I just hope every time gal Gadot is on screen they’ll play that riff from the theme.

As @Eric_Moser said before, anything done by pixar is wonderful, my personal favourite is _Inside Ou_t but any of them would be amazing.

Also I would recommend anything done by Studio Ghibli, true masterpieces of animation. However, I would recommend to pay attention to the rating, some of them might not be aimed at children, in fact I would recommend them to you as well. kiki’s delivery service, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle and Ponyo are probably some of the best for children.

And don’t forget about European animation:
The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea are two beautiful Irish movies, I specially recommend the later one. And I would also recommend French animation, A Monster in Paris is a fun little movie with some nice music; Kirikou and the Sorceress is a movie based on African folk tales (kinda weird but very beautiful).

That movie is a milestone for DC, their first movie in color.

I watched it on TV. I like Logan Lerman, great actor with big potential, and Emma Watson is an absolute heart-breaker classy lady, so I watched it without even knowing it was based on a book. I loved it, I bought it and I have rewatched the damn movie probably some 10 times. One of my favorite movies. I can’t really explain why, but something just clicks.

Two of the greatest actors of my generation.

I am a DC comics fan and a big fan of DCEU (yeah, yeah, I know something like that doesn’t give me a good rep, but I couldn’t care less) so I am watching it tomorrow, in the first session. Really excited by it. Finally someone has the balls to make a movie for the most iconic female character ever!!!

King Arthur is nice… Not many Fantasy theme movies these days and too much super heroes/comic title…

It is refreshing to watch some medieval fantasy movie…

Whoa whoa whoa, how old is the child in question? I adore Princess Mononoke (and had the pleasure of traveling to Yakushima while living in Japan to go see the “Mononoke Forest”—highly highly highly recommended for anyone able), but it’s a PG-13 movie that deserves the rating from the very first minutes when people start getting bloodily decapitated…

As said, pretty much every Ghibli film ever made is amazing, but be careful what age group it’s aimed at. Try Spirited Away, Ponyo, Kiki’s Delivery Service, or Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind as more kid-friendly offerings. (Interestingly, you’ll notice that they all have female leads, but boys will love them too, which is pretty awesome.) Try and get subtitled versions as 1. they’re better and 2. more reading for your son.:wink:

Pixar’s films are also incredible, maybe even more so for parents than the children! My absolute favorite is Finding Nemo (but for the love of all things good ignore Finding Dory, I have no idea how that movie went so terribly wrong) with The Incredibles a close second (and hopefully The Incredibles 2 will be a much better sequel, as I can’t help but get my hopes up.)

Other shoutouts go to The Iron Giant, The Emperor’s New Groove (super cheesy but it tickles my inner child funny bone), and Song of the Sea (which is just so lovely and enchanting).

Oh yes, sorry – I should have been clear that Mononoke isn’t for young kids. It’s worth noting that Nausicaa is also very violent for a kids’ movie, and I wouldn’t show the kids Spirited Away until they’re ready for a lot more scary imagery than my own five-year-old can currently cope with. Those recommendations were just for Strome.

I liked Kiki, Ponyo, and Totoro – all good for very young kids – but I don’t know whether Strome will find them to his own taste. Worth a try! Laputa: Castle in the Sky is another good Ghibli film for anyone who’s old enough for How to Train Your Dragon. And I think Porco Rosso is great, but might go over the heads of some kids.

Iron Giant is also fabulous. Brad Bird can do no wrong.