Legends of Alveron: Crystal of the Vale [WIP]

@EkoBegins I never even thought of arranging it like that! Oh my gosh, thanks! I’ll try it out right now.

No problem. Glad to be of service!

1 Like

Can I just reiterate what people have already said: this sounds like an amazing game. I can’t wait to play the demo.

1 Like

I personally don’t mind seeing a lot of stats, if you’re willing to put them in and they are relevant to the game, I’m going to like looking at them and having those stats effect the game.

1 Like

If we are going to be training as knights will we be be able to choose a weapon to specialize in: sword, spear, halberd, axe, hammer, mace, etc., or maybe classes of weapons: blunt, blades, ranged, etc.? Also, will we be able to choose our armor type and magic or is that set?

1 Like

@Danny_Garcia A very good question. You’ll be able to choose from such weapon categories as:

ranged
swords
bludgeons
polearms

And each of those categories have different types of weapons in them (longswords and broadswords under “swords”, longbows and crossbows under “ranged”, for example). I think your armor type will vary from the kind of weapon you choose, kind of like how ranged users mostly get light or medium armor and swords and bludgeons get heavy armor, but you will be able to customize your banner and coat-of-arms based on a test the Grandmaster gives you. I’m still working on the armor thing a bit, so feel free to contribute any suggestions you see fit.

As for magic, that would be based on personality values in a test given by the Order’s wizard. The wizard will help the character develop their magic as a part of the training; i.e., the character doesn’t know how to wield it immediately upon coming to Alveron, but the wizard can help them bring it to fruition. One set aspect of the magic is the part that enables the character to sense Crystal shards. Otherwise, it depends on their personality.

EDIT: The character also has the option to emphasize their magical abilities beyond the basic Crystal-sensing or not.

1 Like

Thanks that answered a lot of my questions, though i do have a few more.
How heavy are we talking with the armor?
Examples being: heavy chain mail, half plate mail, sectional plate mail, full plate, or completely encased in armor plating.
Also can we go great shield plus greatsword combo. Best way to describe what im asking for in the encased armor plus the great shield/greatsword is like black iron tarkus from dark souls. If you dont know who that is you can look him up on youtube with black iron tarkus lore.
Also you said something about horsemanship as a skill, will we be able to choose our mounts?
Last one. Are the magics elemental or are they more varied? Such as animal control or transformation, summoning, gravity control etc.

2 Likes

@Danny_Garcia You’re welcome :smile:.

Well, that’s where some research will come in. I have a few 12th century history books at my disposal that talk of those sort of things, like weapons, armor, and even clothes anatomy. Looked Black Iron Tarkus up on youtube & a bit of Google, and I see what you’re talking about. That’s a great idea, and in fact, I think most of the swords will go along with shield options (as it only makes sense).

You definitely will be able to choose your mounts which are of differently named breeds as they come from a different world, and have various attributes that go along with the weight of your armor & type of weapon. You are able to name them and choose their colors and markings, too.

I am still thinking on the magic. I don’t exactly know what to call it, is my problem. Like, there might be a few hints and snatches from elemantalism, and then there might be a bit of telekinesis, etc., etc…I’m trying to make it unique to the character’s personality, kind of like (magical) metaphors of their different attributes. Sorry it’s such a vague description right now, but it’ll hopefully come into shape soon.

EDIT: The character also has the option to emphasize their magical abilities beyond the basic Crystal-sensing or not.

EDIT: It also occurred to me that you can have a weapon specialty on the side too. Like first choice swords, second choice polearms, for example.

2 Likes

I kinda get what you are talikng about with the magic, it kinda gives a tangible life to your personality so to speak. If i had a high brutality score it might let me wear heavier armor and use large weapons more easily so that i could wade into combat to destroy my foes like a passive strenth buff, or maybe it allows me to hit far harder and enchant the weapon i am using with fire or lightning etc. Like activated skills, or creativity giving you the ability to modify things to a ceartain extent like fixing a lock or larger objects, changing which key unlocks it (which would come in handy for infiltration or escape.), or changing the length of your sword at a crucial moment. It could even give you the ability to play music or sing in ways that put enemies or juat people to sleep, or makes them stronger or faster. Think buffs from bards in rpgs. If you haven’t noticed yet, i like rpgs.
Another thing on the mounts. Will it only be horses, or their varients like unicorns or such, or will there be other species to choose from, like large wolves, bears, very large lizards, or kinda like hybrids.
Example being a buffalo like beast in shape mostly, but with wider spaced legs for better stability, hard scales or plates kinda like an armadillo. This would sacrifice speed for survivability and strength, a mount to go along with a tank like build.
Also back onto weapons you could always go for a sword parrying dagger combo, two swords, twin knives, sword breaker and rapier combo, and so on and so forth. You have a lot of options. Sorry for the long post, but i couldn’t help myself. The ideas just flowed very well.

2 Likes

I really like your weapon ideas. You sound like an expert at them! There’s a skill stat that I’ve labeled ‘Artistic’, so that might play the buff role you’re mentioning in ‘Creativity’. I like rpgs too, and reading, which is what inspired me to make this game in the first place.

I think for this game the mounts will only be horses. I don’t mean to limit peoples’ options but I think it would be closer to the knightly feel of the Order.

Don’t worry about your posts, I really enjoyed reading them. It’s always good to have ideas flowing! Otherwise you’re left with the dreaded writer’s block (shiver).

2 Likes

Thanks for the praise. Im not expert or anything with weapons, i just like experimenting in my games and i kinda transfered that to over here. Also an alternative to a shied could be a special armoring of your blocking arm. Example being a fully armored arm with special grooves and patterns to help deflect blows, and the gauntlet could be modified to have thicker metal, small spikes or studs at the knuckles, and an armored palm to catch blades or slap away attacks. Think of it as a medieval boxing glove type deal, for those who want extra protection, but more versatility than a shield. Claw like fingers are optional. It could also be a tie in for boxing or a similar style of hand to hand to be in play in the game for those who want it. Another idea is a caestus (ses-tus), for that role.

2 Likes

That’s quite a bit. As for the magic, as I’m not an expert on weapon combinations aside from basic knowledge… How about an interesting way to limit magic capabilities as well. For example, as you (@Anemosu) stated about magic depending on personality, for a “buff and reliant on strength whilst being quite… Emotional rather than rational” type of character, you could have the character improve in strength or be capable of wielding a certain type of sword that has magical elements. You could also make it sort of hard to learn another magic craft because so many “points” have been added to that one magic ability.

@Danny_Garcia was also on the right track about some strength buffs too. Perhaps one person that prefers physical combat, therefor making the character more susceptible to magic attacks than physical ones.

There’s quite a lot of variables when you think about it. What I’m sort of suggesting, I suppose, is, if one character isn’t chosen to be well-rounded when it comes to magic, have another magic thats more powerful. Like, how some would put elements.
Water vs. Fire and such. That’s of course if magic has that big of a role in the conquest besides just locating the crystals.

So much to think of! And all good suggestions! What’s a writer to do?? XD

One change I’ve decided on the innate magic, is that besides locating Crystals, it sort of protects the possessor and gives them some insight to the “other world” or “other dimension”…something partly supernatural, so they can sense dark magic at work, or something like that. Nothing as extreme as invincibility though. If you know what I mean. Still ambiguities, but slowly taking shape.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Great too. Limits the player from becoming an almighty god of some sort.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the demo

Still waiting for the demo it will be epic to my knoloage.

I - I ne-ne- I need the demo, man.

Sits in the corner of the room, twitching

8 Likes

It appears this forum has a quarrel against we necromancers. I will not sit here and be mocked for my talents.

I bid thee good day.

Tips top hat