Legacy (Updated 11/15/20)

could look into the harvest moon or rune factory games for inspiration. they do the feeling of a quaint farming life in a small town pretty well. maybe have the mc interact with a few of the townsfolk while selling crops or something

1 Like

This is something Iā€™ve had long conversations about with some close friends and family who read Legacy before I opened it up for beta. Mechanically I want stat boosts (specifically for mind, body, and charm) to be rare and therefore (hopefully) more meaningful. This fits narratively as, being a commoner, youā€™re not going to be great at everything because, unlike nobility who have the luxury of freetime, 95% of your time is spent working from dawn to dusk. That said, the last thing I want to do is disincentivize world exploration and curiosity. Iā€™ll think about implementing more options that allow you to explore the world and lore, and maybe pick up some Contentment or Rep bonuses, without requiring you to sacrifice your once a chapter opportunity to boost your stats. Great feedback, thank you!

I think I just might do that! Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Alright folks, version 1.1 is live. This update addresses a lot of bug fixes and corrections that you all brought to my attention, so thanks again! I outline all the changes below. Hopefully, I didnā€™t cause more problems than I fixed!

I wanted to draw specific attention to the fact that I implemented a subpath to construct a shrine in Glenrover. This was already written when the beta went live, but I wanted to polish it a little more before making it accessible to you all, and now it is. At about 19,000 words, it offers a lot of world lore on the Divine, religion, and the belief system that dominates Valmora. So if youā€™re interested in that (or maybe commiting a little fraud against your neighbors :smirk:) I would recommend giving it a look. Keep in mind you can only choose this option while in Glenrover so you must either do it in chapter one or stay a farmer to do it later.

I am now working on improving some sections of writing based on your feedback before diving into Chapter 3.

Detailed v1.1 changes
  • Construct a shrine to your chosen Divine!
  • Fixed multiple pronoun issues
  • Welshire freetime choice now comes after payout. This should prevent the strange literate/illiterate issues that were experienced.
  • Minor rewrites in some places.
  • Increased cost of living in Welshire slightly, but bumped contentment and rep gains from higher priced homes.
  • Merchantā€™s Guild now takes 20% of profits as they said they would
  • Fixed an issue with farmer land paying out twice
  • Fixed the crash reported by @expectedoperator
  • All stats can be increased to 6 in Glenrover without repeated text
  • Soldiers no longer rent housing as they are billeted by the Crown on base
6 Likes

For some reason when doing the run through with the 5 int/3 char build Iā€™d been running before I got -9310 as opposed to my usual profitsā€¦ Not sure what happened.

1 Like

@Beezlebub Great catch. There was an issue with the updated merchant payout equation that was causing that. Should be fixed now.

@Jackpot1776 Thanks, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the shrine! When I was writing it I also thought it would be a lot shorter but I liked where it went. I also agree that as it stands currently soldier is likely the least interesting job. That might change in Chapter 3 thoughā€¦

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve finally gone through all available career routes. By far my favorite is merchant, followed by farmer, then bard, then soldier. Also, I absolutely love the build a shrine scene. I was expecting maybe a paragraph or two that just explains how you built it, huzzah, whatever. But noooo, we get a huge side story that 1. incorporates the lore and religions in an enticing way and 2. it brings the town to life, especially when you describe how even the poorest farmers still contribute what they can.
As Iā€™ve said before, (this is like the third or fourth time now haha, I need to stop posting so much) the story is beautiful, my only complaint is the four year gaps, but as youā€™ve said those are in the works. Great job mate! :+1:
Edit: @T_Chaney Iā€™m putting this up here so I donā€™t clog the chat haha. Anyways, weā€™ll get to rebuild (or at least assist) Glenrover? Cause we better :sweat_smile:

I mean, heck, Iā€™ll just stand guard if Iā€™m doing a soldier playthrough. I need that shrine back up and running! (Also, suggested edit, maybe if you build a shrine theres text that shows it being trashed or something?)

2 Likes

Well can anyone help me on how to maximize the profit in the merchant route because whatever option I choose I still cannot start the merchant route with three hundred rupees or above

Try to go into it with as much money as you can. Iā€™m not sure how much intelligence/charisma helps with your profit but I think intelligence might give you a slightly better bonus. The best deal if you donā€™t have 200 gold going in is definitely large cart/nice clothes but if you can afford it I, I think itā€™s probably good to try to get the advertising as well ( honestly though, Iā€™m not sure how much money the advertising really makes you, Iā€™ll have to test that some more ).

This was amazing! It was definitely the type of game I was looking for! Really enjoyed it. By the way, I was wondering will we be able to do significant things that affect the kingdom in some rare paths?

2 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™m glad you like it!

That kind of depends on your definition of affect. Will you ever single-handedly save the realm or befriend the Queen? No. Will you have the opportunity to play a role in larger events that could have ramifications for the entire kingdom? Yes.

Most of the story is focused on Glenrover, Welshire, and the people that you befriend and interact with throughout the story. Your decisions will have large impacts on those things. Outside of that sphere, you have minimal, but not nonexistent, influence.

You will certainly have the opportunity to assist with the rebuilding. The extent to which you can assist will depend on the coin and time you are willing/able to commit.

@expectedoperator Thanks again for the in-depth feedback, I really appreciate it! Typos should be fixed shortly.

@Sel_Lee Iā€™m glad you liked it! The book you receive is about the long dead hero Gaius the Dragonslayer, a title he received by actually slaying the four great dragons that enslaved Valmora in the days of old. The Dragonheart Slayers are just a group of adventures who wanted a cool name. It is admittedly kind of confusing though so I might change it.

This should be fixed shortly.

3 Likes

I just went through all four routes ā€“ I really liked how a certain character from the bard route appears in the farmer route, and the way the Merchantā€™s Guild is set up and explained. I enjoyed the MCā€™s poem in the bard route, as it helped show that the MC is becoming a bard instead of just the narrative telling us, and all the different ways the shrines can be constructed. So far Iā€™d say I agree with @Jackpot1776 ā€“ my favorite is merchant (with Doth being a great character), then farmer, then bard, and then soldier as well.

Typos

You decide that it would be best to save the coin you have for a later date.
Perhaps this page should change if the player spends all their money, as thereā€™s no coin to save or be frugal over.

ā€œThe moment my friend went and spent a kingā€™s ransom on paying off a debt that was not theirs to pay,ā€ your friend shoots back, his tone serious but his eyes flaring with a deep admiration and gratitude.
Add a line of space between this paragraph and the previous one ā€“ this happened quite a few times throughout all the job routes.

ā€œReceived word from a messenger just the other morning,ā€ he continues undeterred,
Because of Darian just receiving word and how he uses the word ā€œrecentlyā€ when describing the coin given to the MC, this paragraph makes it seem like this scene should happen before the harvest instead of four years later.

His familyā€™s debt, one amounting to 80 silver, would make up just a fraction of the cost of this outrageously sought-after drink. Had he condemned himself and his children to a life of financial instability for one bottle of whiskey?
If the MC pays the debt, these sentences donā€™t make sense.

These documents ensure that cannot happen. is fair and just.
It looks like thereā€™s missing words here.

No that you are away from the man, you find your mind trying to come to some sort of consensus on the bearded fellow.
ā€œNoā€ should be ā€œNowā€.

Sell my on your shrine,
ā€œmyā€ should be ā€œmeā€.

Looking forward to chapter three! :relaxed:

3 Likes

I absolutely love your writing style. It goes very well with the genre and atmosphere of the story.
Itā€™s refreshing to play as an unremarkable character in a genre that usually focuses on the gifted and fated.

Small typo:

No that youā€™re away from the man
When talking about the merchantā€™s guild dwarf.

Also, I think the book youā€™re given in the ā€œlearn to readā€ route was about the dragon slyer heroes youā€™d met? But there was no recognition from mc.

Oh, also, I had bought a mule for the farm. But I didnā€™t get to sell it or take it with me when I decided to leave the farm to become a merchant.

7 Likes

After reading this is what is thought, itā€™s really a good twist for the story tho have a different perspective, and the characters dept was a bit generic, but itā€™s okay since it was not focus on character. And also i find the pic of proluge a bit bland, but hey that really goes along pretty well to the story since you are not some chosen one and such. Over all a nice take away in enjoying a different experience from your typical cyoa games in choice of games.

Oh right i also forgot to tell, locking some traits because of the race, i fell that itā€™s a bit old and limit my experience. Or maybe Iā€™m just paranoid :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@The_Shadow Thanks for the feedback! Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the different take I try to offer on the fantasy genre. I should mention that the pictures for the prologue and subsequent chapter pics are just placeholders for now. I am by no means an artist, but I plan on making something nicer once this gets closer to release. Iā€™m sorry you felt that the race choice limited you, but I wanted there to be stat boosts associated with elves, dwarves, and humans to make it feel akin to a tabletop RPG setting where racial stat boosts are common.

@Azraeel Thank you very much! Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it!

6 Likes

Wow. I never knew I needed this kind of story in my life. Lol. I NEVER would have imagined that playing a simple farmer and just grooving right along could be this amazing. Iā€™m hooked. Well done

3 Likes

This is good!
I like how you start as a simple farmer and then advance also the story was very well written :smiley:

Would like to see a bit character creation tho

1 Like

Such a amazing game so far, Itā€™s great to see a more realistic story where the MC is not a super Hero and itā€™s more of Person in the sidelines. Waiting for the update

However, I note a bug. When I try to steal some of the recollected money for the shrine, the game donā€™t acknowledged the action and donā€™t give me the money.

1 Like

@ihauk Thank you! I considered adding a few character creation options, but I decided I would leave cosmetic appearance up to the playerā€™s imagination as it really does not affect the game in any mechanical way.

@Jesus I appreciate that! Thanks for pointing out that bug, Iā€™ll look into it. As for the update, I should be getting out a minor update in the next few days with some fixes, tweaks, and a little extra text. Chapter 3 is in the works, but I expect it to be rather lengthy, which means it will likely be a while before I finish it.

@Valda_Reehux Thanks, Iā€™m glad it kept you engaged! Yeah, there are a few issues with some of the monetary mechanics right now. Your choices do minimize or increase expenses, but all of that happens in the background. That does seem to be a problem, so I do like the idea of showing total expenses and expected income on a stat screen of some kind. I will likely try implementing something of that nature in the future! Thanks for the feedback!

@Tloc Thank you, Iā€™m glad it grabbed your attention!

3 Likes

yeah i agree with you there i dident have any problem with it since the game was so well writen
will the demo get updates? i like to test the game in different ways and find bugs thats why i ask

hello, I tried the demo and like the pace, I can understand what the story tells me and I feel no need to skip the page and keep hitting the next button, which is good.

However, I played as farmer and check my stats and the end of chapter one:
I saw someone already posted it when played as merchant, and here I am letting sheep grazing, chose meager diet, and keep doing my best at the farm. I did try to play as farmer and I think my choices should at least minimize the expenses.

I think players should be informed or able to calculate it themselves regarding incomes and expenses :sweat_smile:

I like the title too, and canā€™t wait for the next updates, keep doing the good work :wink:

2 Likes