Final Monologue: A Villain's Journey (Thread Moved to Adult, Link on Post 450)

Did you just mention GRINDING EVIL?

11 Likes

ā€œWhen Iā€™m done, Iā€™ll watch the sun set on a virgin universe.ā€

7 Likes

Hm, I went with Maybe. My MC is certainly not very social, but would probably want some lazy days.

1 Like

ā€œNot an alchemist, but Iā€™m on that grind.ā€

Romantic entanglements are to be used for my own benefit, to further my own goals - Iā€™d like Deionarra more than Iā€™d like Catwoman or someone.

2 Likes

Very interesting concept! Cant wait for the next update, I like how everything is technically told in past tense

3 Likes

been greatly enjoying this and wish i had more detailed feedback to offer right now, but i just wanted to report that even after upgrading the orangutan, the stats screen still listed her as a basic orangutan.

3 Likes

Well, we canā€™t have that, can we? :orangutan: Iā€™ll check out that bug.

2 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m getting a (very rare!) weekday writing sesh and Iā€™m trying to make the most of it. Working entirely on the demon mission for the next 3 hours. Here goes!

7 Likes

This will be the first Friday I wonā€™t have an update. Itā€™s been a tough week to write violent content, Iā€™ll just leave it at that.

But Iā€™ll post the update (that will include the complete demon scene) sometime over the coming weekend, and that will pretty much complete Module 1.

4 Likes

One thing that made me raise an eyebrow in terms of stat spread is that the enhanced origin doesnā€™t come with Genius boost. Itā€™d be perfectly understandable if someone else enhanced you, but as the text puts it, you essentially turned yourself into a supersoldier. It seems like someone would have to be pretty damn smart to be able to do that in the first place.

Nonetheless, this demo is ridiculously fun, and Iā€™m eager to see more. Thanks for the treat!

7 Likes

Surprising absolutely no one, I went bring on the socialization and romance. Hedonistic for the win. :partying_face:

1 Like

Azazel/Azalea/Azaleas, Gorton, Armagh, Aphuch/Ahpuch, Aanuch, Karā€™klan/Karā€™kla/Karā€™klae, Tchort, Almanarhgh, Bifron/Bifrons, Bibqae, Bieur/Buer, Gaapae, Ipo/Ipos/Ipoae, Mastema, Orobos, Asbā€™el, Perkele, Vanth, Yannick, Yannargh, Zargha

3 Likes

adding to this list from pathfinder ttrpg: Abraxsus, Baphomet, Deskari, Dagon, Lamashtu, Nocticula, Pazuzu, Orcus, Socothbenoth, Zura, Angazhan, Shax, Cyth-Vā€™sug, Kostchtchie, Aldinach, Areshkagal, Flauros, Gogunta, Jezelda, Hagenti, Jubilex, Kabiri, Mestama, Sifkesh, Xuveron, Urxehl

2 Likes

Well, I guess I lied. I cranked out some content tonight, much more than I anticipated.

The demon side mission is LIVE. As always, the link is on Post #1. Iā€™m going with the demon name ā€˜Shadeā€™ right now. Weā€™ll see if it sticks. Trigger warning: Itā€™s a more intense/violent scene as compared to the Putty and Fox side missions.

So whew! This sticks a fork in Module 1 at almost 60k words!

Iā€™m jumping right into Module 2, with more social interaction choices (if your MC sacrfices some main arc missions) and (I think!) the introduction of Origin arcs. I have a ridiculous number of vignette ideas, itā€™s going to be really fun writing this Module!

I have a family trip scheduled in 5 weeks, so between now and then, my writing goal is to crank out as much of Module 2 as is possible.

If anyone finds bugs, Iā€™d SUPER appreciate you reporting them so I can have this Module as clean as possible. You can even report things like spacing errors and stuff like that; I want it polished.

Edited to Add: I am also editing the Putty mission to put it more in line with the others; meaning I will do away with the ā€œbring orangutanā€ choice since there is no downside whatsoever to bringing her along, and Iā€™ll add a ā€œcheck out that Putty assā€ choice. Iā€™ll also add loner/cooperative choices to Shade and Putty too.

Thanks! Have a great night.

18 Likes

I got up early to work on this before real work started. I hadnā€™t yet created a google sheet for the game; now that task is done. Everything is laid out in colorful glory. This sort of ā€œGame Bibleā€ is something I create for every game I write, and it will make creating a Game Guide down the line much easier. It also helps me keep everything balanced.

Anyways, rereading the whole game this morning left me with a couple of questions in my mind, mostly about how much more to specify versus how much to leave open to player imagination.

Please share your thoughts if you have any.

1. Setting. Should I give the city a set name? Let the player pick the city name? Or leave it vague, as it stands now? Your adventures will certainly spread out to other locales as you grow and learn, but at least for Part 1, I anticipate much of what happens will happen in the city.

2. Does the MC ā€˜readā€™ like a man? If so, can I make any tweaks to help mitigate this? I would be most interested, obviously, in the opinions of anyone who doesnā€™t identify as male. If you donā€™t identity as male, can you still visualize yourself as the MC? This is something Iā€™d like to feel better about before plowing ahead.

7 Likes

For 1), I feel like leaving things vague might work best. So far, thereā€™s a ā€œgeneric cityā€ feel to the setting, which admittedly works rather well given the genre.

About 2), as someone who will play with a female MC 90% of the times Iā€™m given the option, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve been bothered by the way she is written here. As far as I can tell, she reads like a supervillain, which is admittedly the goal. Maaaybe an ā€œIntimateā€ MC feels more reserved than your usual flirty villainess archetype (I guess mostly because overly flirting male villains arenā€™t as common and tend to be viewed more critically).

7 Likes

Hm, well, I would say my MC does read like a man, but he is. So that may be influencing the perception.

Also, I think this is a bug ā€“ when choosing to upgrade a skill, Law doesnā€™t have a confirmation, just a return to list.

2 Likes

Hm, yes. This story is good. I will watch, for I need more ā€˜you play as the antagonist/villainā€™ stories.
Only flaw I see is for writing on Shade. For me, Shade is a female, but her bodies I made her possess are all men. Yet the game still refers as ā€˜herā€™. I get it for referring to the demon possessing them, but it can make things confusing sometimes. Havenā€™t really tried the other allies yet so might edit as I find more things.
Not sure if picking up the orangutan would locks us off of future sidekicks. I read the warning as ā€œif you pick this, you canā€™t drop yours when you meet another sidekick!ā€. So I didnā€™t accept, thinking there was another one, only to reach the demo without meeting another. lol

1. Like Talyrion said, ā€˜vague/genericā€™ works for now. Maybe weā€™ll grow along with the city or something. But other than that, Iā€™m not good with city names.
  2. I had no problem with it despite playing as a woman, since the MC is a villain.
3 Likes

The more I think about it, the more I think the city needs a name. I mean, your MC will (eventually) travel to other cities, countries, maybe other planets? (not sure about that last one). Those destinations will have names, so it follows that the main setting will need a name. It would be pretty confusing otherwise. But I still need to decide whether to just name it something or let the player name the city. Iā€™ll give it some more thought as I work on Module 2. I can sprinkle in the city name a couple of times in Module 1 and it will read as if itā€™s always been there.

Iā€™m happy to hear that no one, at least thus far, views the MC as being too coded male. I really just want the MC to come off as a psychopathic eventual badass. My hope was that by including a wide range of attributes, powers and skills, that you could play your MC as being more violent/aggressive or more manipulative/creative or any combination of those traits without them being gendered.

@Earl_Le_Vert yes I struggled a bit with writing the whole ā€œfemale demon in the body of a host whose gender is not female.ā€ I thought it made sense to refer to Shade with her ā€˜trueā€™ pronoun, as her hosts are basically just temporary vessels and donā€™t affect her actual gender, but yeah itā€™s tough to convey. I might give it some thought and maybe give that scene another ā€˜once overā€™ down the line.

Iā€™ve already written about 1500 words of Module 2 I think itā€™s going to be fun.

Now the big decision looming ahead pertains to your MCā€™s arch enemy. And that question will need a poll.

12 Likes

This is a big decision here. How do I write the MCā€™s arch enemy? This relationship will be one of the central elements of the entire story. I need to make it satisfying. I see two main options, although I would be open to other ideas.

1. I can just write a superhero who is your MCā€™s nemesis. They would have a set name, power set, maybe even personality, but they could be gender-variable. That would make it easier on me for sure, and it might make them a stronger character. BUT thereā€™s no way I could write a character that every player feels that their MC would legit be obsessed with. Itā€™s just not possible.

2. Or I create just a very basic skeleton of an arch enemy and give the player choices to build out the details. This will require more work on my part, but Iā€™m definitely willing to do this if players feel it would deliver a more satisfying experience. You could basically create your own arch nemesis, making them possess qualities that your MC would find obsession-worthy. My own concern isā€¦do players WANT to do this? Youā€™re already building your own MC. Do you want to build your MCā€™s main foe too? Does it feel weird?

Which would be the more satisfying option?

• I would prefer to ā€˜buildā€™ my own arch enemy! Iā€™d like to pick their name, their personality, their uniform, etc. Only I can create a character that my MC would obsess over.
  • I would prefer Eric to just write a set arch enemy as best he can, and my MC will find a reason to obsess about them. As long as they are gender-variable, itā€™s all good.

0 voters

11 Likes