Final Monologue: A Villain's Journey (Thread Moved to Adult, Link on Post 450)

Glad you enjoyed the scene! I tried to do each power set justice and weave in some cool twists so they don’t all read the same. Speaking of powers, I want to see which are the most popular thus far. Poll incoming!

(and I will keep a note about your suggestion for tweaked “first meetings” with the sidekicks. I don’t dispute it’s a cool idea, but for now I need to keep pushing forward with new material to maintain momentum. Also, I don’t really have Putty, Siz, or Fox developed personality-wise yet; but that will change).

6 Likes
Okay, what 2 powers does your main MC possess?
  • Mind Control
  • Robots
  • Shape-Shifting
  • Death Traps
  • Peons
  • Pheromones
  • Danger Sense
  • Claws
  • Super Speed
  • Flight
  • Rage
  • Growth
  • Force Field
  • Regeneration
  • Time Travel
  • Cold Generation
  • None! I’m Human Origin ALL the way!

0 voters

5 Likes

:open_mouth: And I put so much friggin’ mental energy into Death Traps! And it’s really not even a power! It’s just you cobbling together overly complicated Mousetrap type of contraptions. (I didn’t really think this one through, I just wanted it)

5 Likes

I’m surprised human is near the middle of the pack and death traps and danger sense near the bottom

5 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, those are super cool so far and I’ve been planning to add it as a power later on. Also, I thought Super Speed would be more popular, too!

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a great spread. 106 voters, with 9 of the 16 powers in double digit percentages and nothing over 21%, and (other than claws), nothing under 3%. I was hoping the game offered a solid variety of power sets that would encourage diverse builds so I’m very happy to see these results.

8 Likes

I should probably be a little more disappointed in us that pheromones is the top pick… but I picked it too lol.

3 Likes

Looks like everyone got Time Travel + Pheromones. It’s a good combo. Social all the way, if problems - time travel and redo.

1 Like

Seems I took the most basic possible combinations :rofl:

1 Like

I’m genuinely surprised that the choice of being human is so unpopular. Being an alien or a literal void that owns absolutely everything is fun, but it’s very unsportsmanlike - or, maybe, that’s just my desire to own as an average human, with street smarts, science and several armouries full of guns.

8 Likes

It’s the power fantasy factor.
Personally I prefer the weak but skilled average human: strangling the average superman feels much more satisfactory when it’s made by a powerless

8 Likes

At some point, power fantasy with mystical being just feels unfair - wow, I’m a mighty void, tremble before me, ye weak sods, I can defeat anything, anyone anywhere, anytime, my powers are mighty, my swag is supreme.

Doing the same thing with a human without any powers feels… more satisfying, in a way - I adore Human Hunter route from Keeper mainly because of this simple thing, a human taking up arms and winning. It feels earned, it feels deserved - a void can do anything it wants, but what about punching said void in the face?

5 Likes

Part of it is probably because the game is a lot harder, or at least the beginning part is, with no powers to rely on, either you need to have the right skill or rely on a less than 50% chance to pass a stat check

5 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhh!!! I really liked this. I always love to play as a villain especially when characters have a interesting backstories and I like to play as the very campy and very extra villain of the likes of Ursula, Cruella De Vil and Maleficent. Also I feel that there so few stories about villainy and being the morally grey character. So I hope you keep at it! I’m looking forward for a next update!

2 Likes

Yeah Human Origin is designed to be a bit more of a challenge. Would anyone dare play Human Origin on Diabolical difficulty level?

Having to rely more on die rolls when you have no Plot Armor to bail you out, and no starting war chest (well, I edited it to 100 Funds but still that’s virtually nothing) to help you earn upgrades or even purchase the Orangutan might make for a really challenging slog.

3 Likes

Okay, I just uploaded this week’s update. It’s small, just about 5k words, pushing the game to 40k total words. I switched the Skill Attribute to Precision (to avoid confusion with your Skills) and I added a new Loner/Cooperative mechanic as well.

Neither the Gold Fox nor the Sizgollok side missions are included; I’m still working on those. Most of the new content follows the side mission, including a pretty comprehensive Upgrade scene.

If you have a few minutes, I’d really appreciate folks playing around with the Upgrade scene to check for bugs. I will reuse this menu at the end of Module 2, so if I can get it nice and clean now, it will make life easier later this summer.

And there is a short Legend Point check at the very end.

Note: If you pick Siz or Gold Fox, you can still reach the new material. You’ll just see a message like “Gold Fox Scene will go here” and then you click next to keep on going to the new stuff.

16 Likes

Human on diabolical mode? Jokes on you… That was literally my first thing when I opened up the game for the first time

1 Like

So what is the strategy? Spread out your Skills to make sure they don’t overlap in the first 4 choices, so win those two, choose Apartment to get another $200 in Funds, skip the orangutan, and hope to win one of the other 30% die rolls to earn another $100, and/or do whatever you need to do in the side mission to earn Funds, and have enough to upgrade one Attribute by 20%? Rinse and repeat for the next module?

Or hold onto Funds and hopefully gather enough to learn a new Skill by the end of Module 2?

Not sure what I would do yet. I think the options are pretty even but there is probably an optimal approach.

2 Likes

I think I’ll wait a while before coming up with a coherent strategy, there’s a lot of stuff I can try but not enough space to test them out properly… If you get what I mean

1 Like

Hell yeahhhh!!!

Early update!!

I literally want now notting more than to have a pink giant brained orangutan as my sidekick!

Though I still have to say that the tech-gutan is pretty damn cool as well.

1 Like