Kingdoms: Embers In Ashes[WIP] [OLD VERSION]

Yes, it’s a series. This story is Book 1.

Noooooooope.

Edit: Nah, I’m kidding. I may or may not put that feature.

Wow. I hope we get to tell the King off for being such a fool.

“Father, I love my brother. I never wanted the throne. But did you really think I would just forgive my brother violating the woman I love while she closes her eyes and wishes she was with me? You did this, and you would have known better if you had bothered to spend any time with me at all.”

Yes, going for the Shakespeare tragedy for my main play through. My character otherwise would just study magic and ignore politics entirely if he had his druthers.

But no, his parents insist on playing him like a pawn. Guess that means it’s time to knock over the board.

6 Likes

@Sophia stated that Marxus has not slept with her at this point of the story. .

It’s been two years, why would you think that would be the Prince’s natural assumption?

Because shy Melissa, who has every reason to fear retaliation on her family if she makes a stink would stand up for herself? If that were true, the marriage wouldn’t have happened.

Because big brother is such a swell guy? The same big brother who didn’t say a peep of protest when his engagement to the woman his brother loves is announced at his brother’s birthday celebration? The same big brother who apparently couldn’t bother with a single “I’m sorry about that” in over two years?

He doesn’t come across as that considerate of his own brother, why would the prince believe he’s sensitive enough to not press someone who by nature and circumstances is unlikely to say no when pressed?

2 Likes

All a matter of different perspectives on the character both as a reader and as the Prince we are playing.

For my Prince Arlan, even without knowing the full situation with Melissa, he had faith in the fact that Marxus would never do anything that would make Melissa uncomfortable. He trusts his brother the most in terms of his family, and does feels closer to him than he does to either of his parents. And he doesn’t blame Marxus for their father actions (because he knows Andus made the decision purposefully).

As a reader, it will be interesting to hear Marxus side of the story and seeing if others come to call him out on his flaws (compliance and indecisiveness) in some way (or if the Second Prince can do that himself).

I will admit I do hope that (as a reader) we can seen more of reaction from Marxus in the situation when the marriage announcement is made. But such a event to have more of a impact, I think there would need to be more moments between the brother during the Second Prince’s childhood.

3 Likes

IMO Marxus seems to be afraid of Andus and seems like he’ll do anything to make him ‘proud’ so, that is my reason of why he’d marry Mel and not apologize to MC either as then he’d feel vulnerable and seem weak…

2 Likes

Ah… Then you’ll be interested in the character POVs I will write in the future. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Poor aloof and soft-spoken Marxus…

I’ve come to think that he might just be the most internally oriented character so far introduced, someone who makes it a point not to share his feelings with others, not because he’s calculating but simply inept at expressing himself and possibly afraid of the vulnerability of opening himself to others.

Logically he would be better at letting his actions speak for him and assume others can discern his emotions from them, since he was trained as a warrior. That awkward moment where he gives the MC that small gift (and inadvertently reveals their princely status to Melissa) shows that he basically purchased a token of affection he hopes would show that he cares. Prior to that at the MC’s birthday he’s quite formal about introducing himself, like following procedure but does have a small moment of warmth if he perceives the MC to be surprised.

Marxus is actually quite similar to Princess Sophia on the outset (not that anyone seems to ship them but perhaps the similarity is uncanny), although she is more expressive in her defiance and occasional sarcasm, both seem to be socially quite individuals who probably want to do the right thing but cannot effectively communicate the state of their souls to others, thus making them harder to understand and seeming… apathetic.

Speaking of Princess Sophia I’m quite interested in seeing where the Female Path goes and if it will mirror the original storyline from her perspective, like the wedding scene. A feature with interesting potential, I don’t think I’ve ever come across another game with such a POV system.

2 Likes

I think I might have been less direct than I should have been.

I don’t think he’s insensitive as in he doesn’t care. I think he’s insensitive as in he couldn’t find a clue with search lights and hunting dogs.

If he’s too clueless to take the hint that his brother wants him to leave when his brother literally tells him to go away why would the prince believe he’d have enough of a clue that he’d realize Melissa is unwilling when she probably wouldn’t say no?

Melissa isn’t like Sophia. Sophia could decapitate a man with her venomous tongue, has a personal bodyguard and magic to protect her, and expects assassination attempts at any moment, so she thinks she has nothing to lose.

Melissa is painted as pathologically shy and she’d have to be a moron to not fear reprisals from the petty tyrant that is her father in law.

Melissa can’t even confront the man she loves whether he agrees his wife is pretty, that he still loves her, or is cruel enough to tell her that he feels like the luckiest man in the world.

If Sophia decided nothing happened, fine, her prerogative as author, but as it stands that requires either Melissa being more confrontational or big bro suddenly buying a clue than is evidenced so far in the story.

And no, I didn’t forget about the water throwing, but I suspect she didn’t do that confrontationally either. I suspect that was more “Oops, accident” than “Stay away from my man, wench!”

If it was more like the latter, I’d believe she’d have no trouble telling bro to leave her alone.

3 Likes

I think that water throwing scene was due to her upbringing because since she was a baby she was Decided to be the wife of second prince but when she saw that she can’t him not good, he is wedded to someone bad but when that someone else does everything to disgrace and disrespect the royal family and her first love, the person she was thinking of being a wife of for since the earliest time she could remember, she just lost her temper and “oopsy”

3 Likes

Will there be any character povs during the tourney?

1 Like

Yo I flicking left this thread and got hit by Maria only to find I can finally play as a girl.

Are we playing as a new character in universe or are we just switching places with Sophia :thinking::thinking:??

just switching from Reinhardt’s POV to Sophia’s

2 Likes

Okay…now that I’ve played through the game again, I noticed some weirdness, but first I would like to apologize if this has been pointed out before.

The weirdness I’m referring to is regarding the now non-existent morality stat that has been replaced with the ‘bloodthirsty vs. merciful’ stat instead, I noticed that all previous morality choices still adds to the new stats, ‘evil’ choices to ‘bloodthirsty’ and ‘good’ choices to ‘merciful’, respectively. Now, I’ve voiced my concern on how ridiculous those choices are and how weird it is for normal child behavior to be regarded as ‘evil’ (not to mention how heavily stacked it is against the ‘evil’ choices), but now that the morality stat has been replaced it is even more head scratching than it ever was, e.g. , how would laughing at Melissa’s stomach rumbling makes me a more bloodthirsty person? How would sneaking behind her and then scare her makes me a more bloodthirsty person (though you could argue that this is a mean thing to do and I concur, but honestly I also think that it’s just typical playful child behavior)? Not caring about Javier does spoke as an indication of how I might be apathetic, but does that necessarily means that I am a bloodthirsty person (well, it’s only a +1, I guess that would just indicate I might be capable of it, so I’ll give it that)? Methink we might need some changes regarding the choices.

On to a less serious discussion, I didn’t expect staying silent at the altar would net me negative relationship point, from king Andus sure, but from Sophia? Even though it’s what she does literally at the next scene (during her part of the vow)? I was just like, “wow, hypocrite much?”, honestly, I thought she would prefer it more than an insincere ‘I will’, but I guess I was wrong. snickers

Finally, stopping at a more sombre tone, I’m kind of surprised there was no option for a Melissa loving prince to be emotionally traumatized for life after his 15th birthday, more so because before the inevitable crash, he was in a state of euphoria, well…at least that’s how it seems to me, what’s with him being a fifteen year old boy that’s having the time of his life, finding out that the one he’ll be married with is the love of his life who also loves him back, and that the marriage would be announced during his birthday of all day, I find it hard to see how it would not result in him being high on happiness. But that just make what the eventual fall all the more painful, watching all the source of his happiness ripped away from him with just a single phrase…then watching how he would be barred from that happiness slowly as a year progress, with the kiss being the icing on the cake. What’s more surprising for me is how there’s basically no changes in his demeanor, honestly speaking that would be enough to push most people into the deep end of cynicism, not to mention a not yet mentally stable fifteen year old. I don’t know, I was kinda hoping there would be some changes in his demeanor, or at least his internal monologue. It would be nice to be able to resent the gods for letting this happen you know, more so if you’ve been nothing but a good samaritan throughout all your life. Yes, I’m still bitter there’s no option to join the dark side after that happens.

4 Likes

@Nightgazer

I too am surprised that there was no personality change after that!

I think that she’s more like ‘Breaking Bad’ most of the time in her life she was pushed around by customs and traditions but when she finally gets in a room with Sophia her inner ‘Hisenberg’ comes out and does the most violent thing she could think of, like throwing water. And the fact that she’s rumored to hurt Sophia makes me believe that she has had psychopathic tendencies underlying her quite shy personality all along…

2 Likes

Melissa=Tsundere?

Has that been put forward?

That…doesn’t make sense…where’s the ‘Tsun’ part? All I’ve seen is the ‘Dere’ part, unless of course you mean ‘Sophia = Tsundere’?

2 Likes

No Mel is Yandere…Sophia is Tsundere…

I thought Sophia said Melissa was specifically not a yandere? :confused: I am so confused, this thread is too long.

2 Likes