Kingdoms: Embers In Ashes[WIP] [OLD VERSION]

Do you need a explanation of what a parry is ect?

Slash, party, guard, advance, lunge, pivot, false edge
Some writing tips I managed to dig up from a while back (in the days where all I looked at was medieval warfare):
Swords are for cutting (and less often for thrusting) not for crushing so weight is meaningless. A heavy claymore or bastard sword is more likely to merely tire the user and isn’t more necessarily more effective. In sword fighting, agility and maneuverability count.

Smaller, lighter swords are generally more maneuverable. However, a very light weapon (epee type) are so light that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to parry a heavy weapon with one. It would give way under the pressure.

Smart sword fighters don’t jump into the air. It may sound cool, but it would get the fighter killed. The fighter can’t change directions mid-air and doesn’t have any way to maintain their balance. A sword fighter’s feet belong on the ground in a sword fight.

All parts of the sword are a weapon, including the hilt; so are insults or a face full of sand. Especially with a larger opponent, legs are great targets. A fighter can win simply by letting an opponent bleed out after a leg slash. Eye-witness accounts indicate this was a frequently used technique.

A sword fighter should be closely aware of their opponent. An opponent’s hands and shoulders often tense momentarily when they are about to strike, for instance. They may glance the direction their going to move. A fighter needs to also be aware of their surroundings. Sending an opponent backwards over an obstacle is always a good thing.

8 Likes

I removed the code. :sweat_smile:

The more information you give us about that fight scene and the more specific you are about the kind of help that you need, the more we’ll be able to help you. However if it’s too spoilery we can talk about it in the private thread.

I don’t know very much about sword fighting terms, I’m sure that other members can help you with that and there might be a lot of sources where you can do some useful research. But I can give you some general tips about fighting scenes.

For example, after doing some research and learn about an specific subject and terminology, a lot of writers make the mistake to try to include everything they have learned in one scene, and then the scene ends up sounding too technical. Focus your research in how sword fighting is supposed to work, but try to not overuse sword fighting terms. Be also aware that not all your readers (maybe most of them) will be familiar with some of those terms.

BTW, Happy birthday! :birthday:

You might feel cool being the hundredth liker, but you’ll never be able to be the first liker.

2 Likes

About parrying- it means deflecting the sword away when opponent attack keep in mind parrying is different than blocking. Blocking means pushing sword away before stoping it to reach you. Blocking is used when your opponent have caught you offguard. If a person is creative enough he can turn party into attack for example while parrying instead of deflecting you can let it slide and cut the fingers of your opponent. Knights are not creative in such way because there training involves more use of strength as they are heavily armored. While a person with less strength will dodge an attack instead of blocking. So a weak person cannot be knight.

For fight scene you can use stat to make it more interesting. For example , mc with more intellect than strength should go to creative swordsmanship while pc with more strength should go to brute fighting style in order to win.
It may sound like creative swordsman will obviously win but it’s not true. Creative one will have to sacrifice heavy armour for more movement and he can’t let his guard down.

1 Like

I don’t really have experience at that, but there this topic about combat:

yo can just make something like>

You dont loose time and charge with amazing speed toward Clithus moving your sword to slash at her midsection , she move her sword to met your midsection attack and counter with a backswing to make you lost hold of your sword.

you have some options to win the fight, you can put your weight and block her counter attack, if you are strongh you can make enough force to make her fall to the floor.

the second option is to dodge her attack and swung your sword to her inner thigh, sending her off balance and losing the grip of her sword. If your intelligence doenst fail you, her (chest piece or armor) will render her immobile after the impact to the floor and even if she can still move she will have to lost grip of her sword.

third and last, use your magic to froze her hand then point your sword to her throat. easy win.

1 option " put your weight and block her counter attack "
2 option " Dodge her attack and swung your sword to her inner thigh "
3 option " Froze her hand with magic and point your sword to her throat "

you dont need to make something crazy, you can just make something simple that all people can understand.

4 Likes

Actually, it all depends on how cool and how real your swordfighting scene to be, IMO. :thinking:
I mean, I believe not every writer that have swordfighting on their work even knows the difference between wrist slash and elbow slash.

Of course research is cool and important, but only to a certain degree.

So, that being said, whom the MC should thrust his sword at? :blush:

2 Likes

You see Sophia’s surprised face. She clearly didn’t expect that you would be considerate. While you close the door, you see her mouth forming the words thank you.[i/] (Princess Sophia +5) You are out in her room. Where will you go?

It was in prev one too but I thought it had been addressed before but guess it wasn’t…

Anywho really enjoyed the update as always and had a little chuckle at last choice (Despacito…) :smile:

So, I already read the new update, I must say I like the quotes at each new chapter because it’s give more feels when reading. okay, so your Spoiler is true, but not what I expected sigh I better note that when you put many emojis when answering about Spoiler :sweat: and at this part(going to blur it):

Is she really sit like that on bench?

Edit: okay how you all blur image?

Put the

[spoiler ]. and. [/spoiler ]

On either side of img url without. Spaces

Block the link (including the parentheses “( )” if there’re any), click the cog :gear: button, select the Blur Spoiler

@Szaal @AmericanShakespeare
I already tried but that not working :sweat: going to try it again
Edit: it’s work!(weird, it’s not before…) Thanks!

Get beaten up by King Andus, then talk to Clithus. You’ll have a different conversation with her.

Bring the dagger in your wedding night and get kicked out by Sophia. You will have a different conversation with her in the training grounds scene.

3 Likes

Edit:
Hmm… Yea, it doesn’t work :confused:

Edit2: Wait, how did you do that, @Vattena ? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When using CoG :gear: option it’s not working, I have to text it manually, weird since it’s same :thinking: … Ah I also use [spoiler] at upper part of the image, it’s beside before(which maybe not working) text if I remember correctly, maybe that make different?

There is an invalid expression error when we say I should not jump to conclusion

Gah! I don’t know! I give up :raised_hands:t4:
I’ll use Hide Details to hide my spoilery image, next time :expressionless:

1 Like

Why did you remove saving code?

I simply forgot to put it back. :sweat_smile: Using autotest, the save code will give an error so I have to remove it once in a while.