Kingdoms and Empires (WIP)

An expensive idea cover your soldiers shields in silk and protective silk vests over their armor for defense against armor piercing stuff like crossbows

2 Likes

I’ve cooked up a strategy, correct me in any way necessary.

Step 1. Bombarding the enemy with heavy fire.

Step 2. Send small teams to infiltrate the enemy through the sides while their distracted by the main attack force.

Step 3. The man who infiltrated will cause a ruckus on the enemy lines on a noble sacrifice, distracting the enemy from within.

Step 4. Send man to climb down the moat while the enemy is distracted to dig right under the first wall’s support, causing it to collapse on itself, hopefully covering the moat.

It’s quite crude yet, so I would like to be enlightened in how the strategy could be improved, or if it’s even possible at all.

3 Likes

I like it,specially because it add to the current strategy, taking the first wall with our advanced siege equipment and send a few elite infiltration troops to cause chaos amongst the enemy lines and trying to map any underground tunnels they might have that we can take advantage of while the enemy is focused on the main force.
I specially like your forth step

Maybe it is through trade, and they have more meat on their diet, taking care of a few more hardy animals in areas inside of either their underground city or within the walls under the sky, perhaps they also make use of both fish from underground lakes as well as growing many types of edible mushrooms to compensate for the veggies

3 Likes

I’m glad you liked it.
I just thought “you know what the problem with a dry moat is? It’s almost as much of a vulnerability as it is a defense.” So we will use the strongest force known to man to defeat them, Gravity!

3 Likes

Hey @FatedFlame , I just found this channel on Youtube - fancy that, Youtube algorithm work sometime - Mordern History TV, they have a lot of clip information about medieval time, especially what the diet were back, if you are looking for more info feel free to take a look.

2 Likes

I did figure fungus would factor in. But yeah, I did figure the diet would be mostly seafood.

1 Like

I have a few more questions.

@FatedFlame

I’ve read through the defense’s descriptions but I didn’t seem to have catched anything describing the walls entrance, maybe there is something to be exploited there? Or is there no entrance in the walls, but somewhere else?

Also, given that they are used to the dark. What direction is the wall facing, would it be possible to do a charge at them when the sun is behind us and in front of them, as to disrupt enemy aim?

What if I, the engineer, developed a ginormous drilling machine powered by large wheels people walked on to turn it? We could dig under their defenses.

It’ll bankrupt the whole country but I think it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Why use big machine when small machine do job? create a distraction by using the main attack force of the legions, use small grappling ballista on both sides of the wall, elite troops of the legion to go up both sides while the main battle is happening, shield wall march until both groups reach the middle and effectively take the wall, start digging under big wall of Kayzach ™, ???, profit.

man I hate that we have a daily like limit, everyone makes such good comments, this is unfair

4 Likes

Perfect!

I feel like another avenue we should approach is spycraft and sabotage. Their walls won’t mean anything if we sow dissent in their ranks that leaves them undefended. We may even rally support for our empire.

3 Likes

spycraft was never my forte, I’m the engineer and overall techpriest and warrior of the warborn, but propaganda in our favor is always good, perhaps as we take the main wall and start a proper siege, we can send spies with our dissent troops to both cause chaos and try to sway the citizens opinions in our favour

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking.

Could we, as an engineer, use our modern mathematical and infrastructure knowledge to build stronger and bigger structures.

If so, couldn’t we invent a new type of siege tower, something like, maybe a stone tower that moves(I’m not an actual engineer and wouldn’t know this kinda stuff without researching first but…), or taller siege towers that stand above the enemies defenses so that our archers can fire at theirs, or even better, some kind of contraption that could bring siege weaponry or heavy equipment over the enemy walls(such as a catapult, to then shoot at the next wall from the previous one)?

1 Like

why don’t see why we couldn’t, especially since structures in this world are bigger and more decorated than in ours, the only limit is your imagination, and as long as it isn’t completely broken like introducing modern weapons, we still have the limit set by flame

2 Likes

I do personally think it’d still make sense to invent some kind of gunpowder. Not like modern guns but I find it hard to believe that someone from Earth, even someone who isn’t an engineer wouldn’t be able to remember that sulfur, saltpeter, and charcoal make gunpowder. It stretches the suspension of disbelief substantially, especially since those weapons should actually already exist, and any explanation as to why we don’t have guns would still be less satisfactory from both a story and gameplay perspective than having a few soldiers with primative firearms.

2 Likes

@FatedFlame seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth to try and lay siege, not only will time be a factor, the amount of manpower and funding you would need to lay siege to such defenses would be astronomical, not to mention the number of deaths that would occur if you were to lay a siege for months on end, maybe even years, it’s just not practical
if possible, I would take a page of grandpa raven’s book, and marry off the MC of their little brother off to the heir of kayzack thus making them into allies and having access to their natural resources for trade
if that’s not possible, then I would attempt to bait their army out of the safety of their walls, and engage them in open field favourable to my army, since they have a history of hiding behind the safety of their walls, I doubt they would have the experience of an open field battle, such a loss would probably weaken their resolve
another option would be a trojan horse scenario, but I doubt they would be dumb enough to fall for that, in order to strike a decisive win against them, you would have to bait out their army

while they wouldn’t have an underground plantation, for obvious reasons, they probably can probably grow grain just within their walls
it’s actually quite simple to grow and raise grain, even in enclosed areas

1 Like

Why not send artillery strikes and sappers to just collapse the plateau but then we get no benefit but it‘s quick and easy destruction

I feel like you’re underestimating how hard it is to collapse a plateau. It’s solid rock, it hasn’t been hollowed out so much as to be easily smashed with catapults.

1 Like

How hollow is it

well here is an example of a plateau, so you can imagine how difficult it would be for a besieging army to one, go through one with multiple forts as previously stated, and breaking through their walls without the necessary equipment

I think another alternative would to look for another way in, if they actually live underneath the ground, then there must be more than one entrance to where they actually reside, one could try and find one, and attempt to send their army through there
but another factor to worry about is the possibility of narrow passages, the kayzacks could easily set up defenses and essentially bottleneck your troops in for a slaughter
I think the best way to successfully invade and conquer them would be to bait out their army out in the open, defeat them in open battle, continue to lay siege to their main fortifications, and send troops through any secret passages, if any, to invade while the main force is too distracted with the siege, and occupy their main settlement

1 Like

As others have said I think digging would be the way to go. I think I would try to prioritize prepping in secret as much as possible. Since their vision has adapted to darkness any work would be done during daylight hours when the sun is at its prime. While prep work is done for the main army, supplies ect… I would begin a recon/intelligence campaigns to try and pinpoint possible breach points for the underground tunnles and or mines. Then a ruse would begin. Part of the army would be fielded outside of the wall, only enough to convince that a larger force was present. While the rest of the army would be breaching the breach points identified. A special forces unit would be with the breach party with a secondary mission to poison and sabotage water and food supplies. :grinning:. Ideally this would be a coordinated assult. With the surface army causing enough bombardment to disract and cover and noise made by the breaching force. If for a moment we assume the breach is a failure and a retreat is had the army would then adopt a siege stance for the effects of the sabotage to do their work.

3 Likes