Kingdoms: Embers In Ashes[WIP] [OLD VERSION]

@Sophia happy birthday!

1 Like

I do not host my own party. Filipinos are very family-oriented people and the parents are usually the one who organize the parties. Then all the grandparents, uncles, aunts and etc will come. So yes, there will be a party.

Edit: That’s where I got my reference in the birthdays in the story. :wink:

5 Likes

clears throat I did not leave team Sophia of cowardice I got bored and found the new beautiful, honourable, brave and respected knight Clithus to be more alluring than Sophia

Also

One of the reasons why I host b’day parties in hotels😝

1 Like

WOAH WOAH WOAH…Pinoy ka? Kung bisaya ka makasabot ka ani, pero Kung Tagalog ka Sabi nang Juan Luna is the best movie

You will one day die in a pool of your own blood…and I’m surprised you’re not disturbed about ppl getting it on :wink: on your party

1 Like

Happy Birthday @Sophia :smile:

1 Like

@Sophia Congratulations. You survived another year (I am not really a birthday person).

Would you like some fanfic as a gift? I’m apparently pretty good at writing.

1 Like

Fanfics are welcomed. :blush:

Then here we go. Perhaps not today, but tomorrow (I am already publishing another). I’ll pm it to you, so that you can do as you wish with it.

3 Likes

Happy birthday :birthday:. I just unliked and liked your post to be hundredth liker.

1 Like

Update:

• Update more on the talk scene with Princess Sophia in the Training grounds scene, showing more of her personality.

• A lot of missing talk scenes. :kissing:

• Clithus can be interacted, but is still incomplete.

Help

• Please oh please help me how to write fighting scenes. :confounded: I don’t know the terms in swordfighting. Parry, swung, strike, slashed, counter, uhh… parry?
9 Likes

Uhh…I can’t save :c

Maybe I can help. 20 charcters

Finally!!!
A topic where I can rant at!!!

Slash. Stance/guard. Parry. Sidestep.

Elbow slash. Wrist slash. Feint. Thrust.

Half-swording. Swipe.

BTW, subscribe to this guy’s channel for more stuff about swords and other medieval wapons

4 Likes

Do you need a explanation of what a parry is ect?

Slash, party, guard, advance, lunge, pivot, false edge
Some writing tips I managed to dig up from a while back (in the days where all I looked at was medieval warfare):
Swords are for cutting (and less often for thrusting) not for crushing so weight is meaningless. A heavy claymore or bastard sword is more likely to merely tire the user and isn’t more necessarily more effective. In sword fighting, agility and maneuverability count.

Smaller, lighter swords are generally more maneuverable. However, a very light weapon (epee type) are so light that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to parry a heavy weapon with one. It would give way under the pressure.

Smart sword fighters don’t jump into the air. It may sound cool, but it would get the fighter killed. The fighter can’t change directions mid-air and doesn’t have any way to maintain their balance. A sword fighter’s feet belong on the ground in a sword fight.

All parts of the sword are a weapon, including the hilt; so are insults or a face full of sand. Especially with a larger opponent, legs are great targets. A fighter can win simply by letting an opponent bleed out after a leg slash. Eye-witness accounts indicate this was a frequently used technique.

A sword fighter should be closely aware of their opponent. An opponent’s hands and shoulders often tense momentarily when they are about to strike, for instance. They may glance the direction their going to move. A fighter needs to also be aware of their surroundings. Sending an opponent backwards over an obstacle is always a good thing.

8 Likes

I removed the code. :sweat_smile:

The more information you give us about that fight scene and the more specific you are about the kind of help that you need, the more we’ll be able to help you. However if it’s too spoilery we can talk about it in the private thread.

I don’t know very much about sword fighting terms, I’m sure that other members can help you with that and there might be a lot of sources where you can do some useful research. But I can give you some general tips about fighting scenes.

For example, after doing some research and learn about an specific subject and terminology, a lot of writers make the mistake to try to include everything they have learned in one scene, and then the scene ends up sounding too technical. Focus your research in how sword fighting is supposed to work, but try to not overuse sword fighting terms. Be also aware that not all your readers (maybe most of them) will be familiar with some of those terms.

BTW, Happy birthday! :birthday:

You might feel cool being the hundredth liker, but you’ll never be able to be the first liker.

2 Likes

About parrying- it means deflecting the sword away when opponent attack keep in mind parrying is different than blocking. Blocking means pushing sword away before stoping it to reach you. Blocking is used when your opponent have caught you offguard. If a person is creative enough he can turn party into attack for example while parrying instead of deflecting you can let it slide and cut the fingers of your opponent. Knights are not creative in such way because there training involves more use of strength as they are heavily armored. While a person with less strength will dodge an attack instead of blocking. So a weak person cannot be knight.

For fight scene you can use stat to make it more interesting. For example , mc with more intellect than strength should go to creative swordsmanship while pc with more strength should go to brute fighting style in order to win.
It may sound like creative swordsman will obviously win but it’s not true. Creative one will have to sacrifice heavy armour for more movement and he can’t let his guard down.

1 Like

I don’t really have experience at that, but there this topic about combat: