((((OLD, NEW REMASTERED VERSION LINKED!)))) Keys (Fantasy WIP, Updated 9/5/18)

@halfmooncroissant Just want to let you know like I have let some other WiP author’s know. Once I feel the author has shown me clear direction in the game and good writing, I tend to stop reading updates so as to not spoil the game for myself, and I wait for it to come out so I can buy and support the author. So please don’t take radio silence from me as losing interest. It is quite the opposite.

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more!

1 Like

@halfmooncroissant I really like the demo and I like to see what the series will offer in the future but I have a few questions ( regarding Quinn) :

1. Quinn is gender - non binary and this takes place in a fantasy setting, does this mean Quinn is born without any female or male parts or Quinn DOES have an assigned gender they were born with but doesn’t identity themselves with it?
  2. Can you romance Quinn if we choose we’re attracted to dudes or is it just plain impossible???
    There is another question I want to ask but I don’t know if this counts as a question but :
    I’m happy Quinn liked me enough and confessed their secret That the Quinn we see in the beginning wasn’t the real them but it was rather a facade but I thought it was way too quick and it feels a bit unnatural ( though I’m the type to tell strangers weird facts about me). I think ( it’s fine if you don’t want to do it) you should show who Quinn really is but in a subtle way like Quinn running around like a little kid or acting like a kid sometimes and I feel like Quinn should confess this AFTER they formed a bond or after knowing more about each other. I know not all people are like this but I feel like people might say things they never told others but nothing really personal at the first few nights

Overall I really like Quinn and got attached to them really quickly. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, I never mean to hurt you , I swear :persevere:. I really like what you’re writing and I see a lot of potential in this. I’m sorry to bother you and good luck in your project

1 Like

If the Mc is Quinns Roommate it would make sense, the Mc is bound to notice it sooner than later (e.g Quinn thinks that they are alone and are actin natural and then the mc enters the room), that would prevent confusions

1 Like

Thank you LOADS for the criticism! Let me answer these :, D

Fun Quinn Stuff
  1. Quinn was born as female but does not identify with it. Their gender expression sometimes leans towards female, but is often quite neutral. It says here in my private notes that I wrote for each character that they choose to wear the school uniform assigned for females on rare days.

Though hybrids are possible, human genes are more dominant, and therefore the regular human reproductive system is the same. So people who would identify as non-binary have the same normal qualities as non-binary people on earth. Answering another unspoken question, nobody knows how hybrids began.

1. Yes, I’ve been noticing I’m quick to move ALL relationships in the game quite fast. I’m not sure how long I want the game to be, it’s half a hundred thousand words already, and I haven’t gotten much into the plot yet (though chapter four will be digging quite deep into that). To make the chapters longer and more interesting, I’ve added scenes that are completely unique to each character in chapters 2 and 3–which is why there are so many words.

But if y’all think I should move these segments to later chapters so as to make it less abrupt and unrealistic, I’m totally on board!

And yes, you can romance anybody regardless of what sexuality you choose. All characters are pansexual to fit with MC, and a variable for sexuality does not exist. It was simply a choice I added in to make it more interactive—you can still romance anybody.

And of course not! I completely appreciate all criticism, thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I’m glad you’re enjoying my story < 3

4 Likes

That’s a good point, I haven’t made any roommate-specific friendship scenes in a while since I know some people chose roommates and wanted to romance/be better friends with someone else, so maybe I’ll get on that.

Thank you!

4 Likes

@Noah Thank you for answering :blush: and it does look possible that Quinn may act like that when they’re alone but I feel that even if they are alone they won’t act so carelessly because I feel they are constantly on guard, making it really hard for them to make friends and making bonds with anyone because never show their weaknesses to anyone it doesn’t help their facade makes them look like an overly formal person with bizzare antics / eccentric personality which might scare potential friends away and annoy others to death making it impossible for Quinn to make friends with their facade .
@halfmooncroissant Thank you for answering my questions about Quinn. In my head canon I always thought Quinn has no gender and their form looks like both a man AND a woman but they were born with no actual gender which is why their parents want them to keep a facade because their parents might find to have/to give birth a genderless child both humiliating and scandalous and the only way to protect their family’s honor is for Quinn to make a facade in front of the public (and they might hate Quinn because they were born without a gender but seeing you explaining it makes it more clearer and I can easily set a picture for them. In my headcannon the reason why hybrids can exist in the first place is because the humans in their wold have a much more adaptable / neutral DNA compared to us ( I know it’s weird and I’m not the beat in science so please forgive me and correct me on this one) making it really easy for humans to give birth to hybrids and unique genders OR the animals in the land know magic or can take a humanoid form making it easy to reproduce a hybrid. I’ve also always thought that because of that in their world there is another gender called "seahorse gender " (which is a weird name I admit) and there are 3 qualifications for this gender : 1. You are either born without a gender
2. You are born with both male AND female reproductive organs and/or 3. You have physical traits of both men and women but are born without any gender
and … Wow… :anguished: I’m surprised you felt that way too about the characters’ relationship with the MC and I’m glad that you want to improve. Thank you for listening/reading to my (useless and long) rant. Sorry to bother you guys and have a nice day :blush:

1 Like

Nooo, wow I actually love what you’re saying… If it’s fine with you, that would be amazing to make changes according to your message. It makes me so happy that people think so deeply about a silly little game I just decided to start writing one day. Thank you greatly!!!

And I’m pretty terrible at science too. It’s fantasy; I’m sure it’s fine that not everything is perfect scientific-accuracy-wise, in a world where dragons and phoenixes exist.

2 Likes

@halfmooncroissant Thank you for saying that :blush: I don’t mind if you want to change certain things in the story but I think you should ask the other readers first because some might not be to thrilled with this and I’m sorry if I sounded a bit dense but… What changes you want to make according to my message??? ( is it the "seahorse gender " or Quinn not having any gender at all :sweat_smile:)
Anyways I have a few questions regarding the other characters ( and I haven’t done any of their routes so if I’m wrong please correct me) :

1. Why is kioko the only character where you can determine their gender??
  2. Why is Carris a flirt?? Is it because he wanted love and attention and act like a flirt or is it just because he’s like that???
  3. I’m really interested with kioko… They don’t like being alone… Is this because they are CONSTANTLY alone and want someone to be their friend or is it something more??
    That’s it from me and thank you for reading / listening to me
1 Like

Ah, I just thought some of your ideas were really interesting, and fit more with the magical aspect of the world. But I have no idea what I’m doing, so I guess I will build as I go, and make the logics of the world fit better with the current plot whenever the need arises.

Questions
  1. Usually, there is one gender-choice RO in choice games, and that’s Kioko. They feel a lot more femenine to me, but I know there are people who like different things! So that’s why they’re gender-choice. All of the other characters aren’t because too much coding, and I just think their personalities have genders attached to them.
  2. Pretty much. His main drive is to be popular and get out more to be able to be someone’s idol and inspire people to do something or other, and being a flirt/assertive is kinda cool to some people. And eventually, it didn’t become something he just did, it was a personality trait.
  3. It’s a sort of huge phobia of being alone that comes from their past. I’ve planned that aspect of their life out and it will probably come out somewhere far later in the game in a private scene with them, but I don’t want to spoil anything! ^^

And of course! Again, it’s so cool that somebody’s this interested in my work~~

3 Likes

@halfmooncroissant I played keys going through Carris’ and kioko’s route and dang I did not NOT expect to like Kioko as much as Quinn (Carris seems like a jerk to me :sweat_smile:) and I see ALOT of potential in their characters and character development ( just as much as Quinn) like I mean a dude who wants to be popular and make others happy/be an inspiration to others can cause ALOT of friction in certain situations and can make AMAZING character development if done right like when the popular kids start making fun of the MC and ask Carris to pick sides or when the popular kids are asking Carris about a really sensitive topic that he truly believes in and his peers did /say something that clashes against his ideals , Carris HAS to learn sometimes being popular isn’t always everything and maybe you can show some cases where he’s starting to loose himself in pursuit of being popular and turning into someone who he NEVER wants to be or showing his doubt about his ideals and is it WORTH it to throw away his morals and ideals just to be liked by others and we can finally find out Carris’ backstory That Carris used to be a shy person / hated and bullied by his friends and wants to get his peers’ attention because he was not really loved by his parents /never got the attention at home because he’s either a 2nd child or his parents are busy with work or he might never had parents at all ( sorry if this sounds like a hate rant you can feel free to ignore me on this and sorry if some of my prediction about Carris is wrong) and Kioko has a ALOT of potential too showing how mentally exhausting it is to be nice and happy because I feel like not alot of people show this . I find the meeting kioko in an empty classroom heart breaking . I always find kioko to be a bit secretive and despite something bad happen to him he’ll never really tell others especially after what happened with him in the cafeteria he would not trust others and might pretend he’s okay and assure the MC that there is NOTHING wrong maybe for kioko you can have him snap ( because you can’t really be nice all the time even if you tried) and have him learn that he has to learn it’s okay to be sad and that he can be assertive and kind at the same time just like Carris learning that he can’t please everyone

1 Like

Of course! I love your predictions; ) I’ve got specific things planned for these two, don’t worry! I love creating and fleshing out these characters in a world where magic is real, it’s very exciting and I won’t slack on it ^^

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that :blush: sorry for bombarding you with many of my long ( useless) rants

2 Likes

Oh, an update? Just bug fixes and grammar corrections, I presume?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of an Amarok before this game.

2 Likes

Just a quick one to add the improvement poll in this post. I thought it was a little bit much to be it’s own update, but I’d like to make changes according to the survey in the next round of bug fixes.

Neither have I, man. I looked it up, shhh it’s a secret…

2 Likes

Thank you for playing man , hope you excited for upcoming stories.
You can visit Keys discord for upcoming updates and such <3
https://discord.gg/MBDkF3d

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.