((((OLD, NEW REMASTERED VERSION LINKED!)))) Keys (Fantasy WIP, Updated 9/5/18)

This is neat, I find the setting pretty nice, but something bothers me: shouldnt my male MC be locked to choose only males for roommates? I mean, I really dont mind the cute cat girl sleeping next to me, but it is still a bit weird. Also, to make this a good wall of text, why are we the ones who choose our roomie, and wouldnt they have to accept? (would be cool to have someome so full of themselves that they refuse). And, finally, it is mentioned that we will learn how to conjure our first familiar, does that mean we can have more than one? If so, simultaneously, or do they have do die/break the contract to get another one? Anyways, sorry for the flood, keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Well that’s assuming cultural mores are the same here.

Some cultures have had entire families live in just one room.

Some cultures have had entire families sleeping in one bed every night.

Some cultures have had co-ed public bathing.

So no, co-ed dorms don’t seem beyond the realm of possibility.

3 Likes

But it would make sense for the roommate candidates to seem like they were “choosing” as well. You know, so that the Mc doesn’t seem like the odd one out.

Perhaps it would even be a good time for them to all the Mc some questions, idk.

5 Likes

I’m absolutely loving this concept! It’s very unique and has a lot of story potential. Curious to see where it goes! :relaxed:

One super quick thing though, i’m not seeing a black hair option? Is that a plot thing or…?

3 Likes

After just binging Little Witch Academia, I’m really excited about this game and where it’ll go.
Also, this has to be the first game I have ever found to have no black hair color option. Is there a specific reason that’s gonna be revealed?

1 Like

I think it could be like, they have chosen us before, perhaps having a letter about us, since we weren’t there yet, hence why they seem to kind of like us already; or said “eh, I’ll go with whoever wants”, since there must be more than just us being newcomers and these people simply dont want to choose and havent been chosen yet.
@stsword Well, family is easier because they arent complete strangers to each other, but since this is a big school, I dont imagine them having cultural traits from anywhere, given the diversity of its staff and student body, but still, regardless of culture, I think some things have to be left alone, specially when you consider a male and a female strange to each other. For example, there are public baths in Japan, but they have either female only or male only.
Speaking of which, I’d like to see how the general cultures and public adapted to hybrids, since xenophobia is already common between humans and elves, I figure people would be more accepting of cute cat girls, or be like the conservative guys who think them abominations and all.

Edit: just read about what is co-ed but still dont know of any co-ed public baths, imagine the scandal!

1 Like

Your google fu is weak! :slight_smile:

Japan also has co-ed bathhouses, traditionally they were all co-ed, gender segregation is a recent thing.

So co-ed baths are less common nowadays, but they still exist.

Going to one is seen as an acceptable dating activity for couples in Japan.

4 Likes

All right, you win this one, but hey, at least they know exactly where they are going, wont be there for a year or more, and can choose their date. Here, it doesnt seem like the other student must accept, or that the school shows any sign of acknowledging this. Well, given it is the first day, I think we will see why things are the way they are soon enough.
Still, try to put yourself into the other person’s place, “this one guy arrived later (or at least, I think?), didnt tell me anything about him, and can still choose me as his roommate” and now, translating this to a real world feminist facebook text (not intentionally offensive) “what does this freaking machist want with me on his room for the rest of the year?” Or their parents “what does this freaking creep wants with my daughter on his room for the rest of the year?”
PS: hope that didnt look sooo weird, but if it did, please do tell

1 Like

Will be a thing later on–I was planning on that but it totally slipped my mind…Thanks!

Yo not a problem at all, makes me so happy that people are interested in my work!

1. Not necessarily. The school doesn’t really care about that sorta stuff. (Also, it makes it easier plot-wise…Gotta move it along somehow lol.)
  2. This would be difficult to write in terms of coding, and the situation in which this would happen. Also, I want to make it as accessible and easygoing as possible. There will be stat-locked choices, but in the beginning, I want to make it so that readers can do as they please for a while before everything gets a LOT harder, and you gotta think about your choices. Also also, plot again.
  3. You can summon a second familiar if the contract is broken (which is extremely rare in this universe), but not if your familiar dies.
    Thanks so much! Hope this helped : D
4 Likes

Hm, that’s quite true. I suppose I was just playing off of cliches (which is a cliche in itself, ironically?) but you make a good point. I should probably include this/make it less forced. Thanks a lot!!!

Oh, shoot…I think that’s the only one I didn’t include. Thank you greatly for pointing this out! I’ll add it in the next round of fixes. But, that would have been a cool idea, haha.

1 Like

Ooh, I’ve always wanted to watch it! Maybe I can get some inspiration…
Also, just answered this. Just forgot to put that option in. Though, it would’ve been a cool plot thing. This will be added in the next round of fixes.
Thank youuuu!

Dude, I just read through your well-written paragraph and I’m already getting more ideas. I’ve never been the best at world-building and let me just say this is so cool reading about this stuff. Thanks!!!

1 Like

I really love this, the dancing scene with kiyoko is my favourite so far, i have almost no complaints except, she sometimes changes from female to non-binary and her name gets suddenly a y, so from kioko to kiyoko, but those are just minor things, i am watching this.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned before but I chose Cadence as my roommate in one of my playthrough’s and I chose to spend time with her and go to the abandoned classroom and the page that’s supposed to talk about the time spent at the destination is blank and just has skin color choices

beasts? No better than animals? they used to be be hunted or enslaved? both?

:fox_face:

This is great! :smile:

My main concern is that the stats seem a little non-intuitive, with several unconnected “charisma” stats and it feels more like they’ve been added just to be there than for any actual reason… :confused:

I did notice a bug; I had to check the code (sorry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) because it wasn’t easy to describe otherwise:

*if (roommate = "Kioko")
    "Gosh, $!{name}!  I can't believe this!  We have our familiars now!" Your roommate gestures to ${kioko_his} pegasus familiar, and you nod as the two of your companions appear to be examining each other.

"Well?  How does it feel?" Kioko asks you, getting so close to your face that it's a bit [i]too[/i] close for comfort.
*choice
    #"It feels amazing!  I still can't believe it."
       *goto dormwalk
    #"I'm not entirely sure how to feel yet, it still hasn't sunk in."
       *goto dormwalk
    #"I'm actually a little nervous.  I've never done anything like this before."
       *goto dormwalk
    #"I don't like this.  I just don't think familiars are my calling."
       *goto dormwalk

As the *choice isn’t indented, everyone gets onto this, whether they chose Kioko or not… It should look like this instead (also, I switched it to a *fake_choice, as all options lead to the same place):

*if (roommate = "Kioko")
    "Gosh, $!{name}!  I can't believe this!  We have our familiars now!" Your roommate gestures to ${kioko_his} pegasus familiar, and you nod as the two of your companions appear to be examining each other.

"Well?  How does it feel?" Kioko asks you, getting so close to your face that it's a bit [i]too[/i] close for comfort.
    *fake_choice
        #"It feels amazing!  I still can't believe it."
        #"I'm not entirely sure how to feel yet, it still hasn't sunk in."
        #"I'm actually a little nervous.  I've never done anything like this before."
        #"I don't like this.  I just don't think familiars are my calling."
       *goto dormwalk

The same looks to be true for all other roommates, too.

2 Likes

Another thing that Im curious about, how will friendship be affected by our familiars, perhaps my big cute wolf can help me with that small cat girl? Erhm, I mean, I have noticed that we can make our familiar very similar to that of our roommate, it would be natural that they would be more friendly to each other and perhaps this could be good for a friendship?
Still, while I havent written anything, and, mind you, someday I will, I know how much of a coding hell it can be if you try too many things at the same time, so, as far as I understand about Choice Script, the answer for all of this possible mess is: variables. I have read the code and, for example, when our roommate asks us who are we attracted to, you could just use a variable for attraction, and instead of writting the same “oh, okay” every time, you could just make it under a single label, unless you want to change it ~because the answer is “I am attracted to cat people”~ and etc.
Also, because its me and Im not me without a long wall of text, your character building is awesome, Cadence is the perfect example, at least for me. When I first looked at her, I thought she wasnt any interesting, you know, your regular braindead-but-tries-not-to-look-obvious classmate struggling to look cool with her book but as you dive into her story and she looks so alive with her trying to look not insecure boring, and she is in fact super cute, thats what I see anyways.

3 Likes

@Jared_Frias it likely not done yet, I have done the Fireroom with her with the same results.

@Hearts yes, you know, every thing bad, mostly because they are different or “ungodly” creatures and stuff like that, hopefully we will see more of that as the story picks up the killings od hybrids

2 Likes