((((OLD, NEW REMASTERED VERSION LINKED!)))) Keys (Fantasy WIP, Updated 9/5/18)

For plot reasons I wouldn’t be able to do this, but I’m so glad you like it! <3

I have to say that for your first interactive novel, this story is really top-notch so far! I love your writing style and instantly fell in love with multiple characters. Kioko, in particular, is the cutest thing. Can’t wait for your continued progress! I wish you inspiration and joy as you continue to write!

4 Likes

Woah, thanks so much!!! I’m really glad you like it : D I hope you’ll continue to follow the story~

Also, the save plugin is not working, maybe you forgot to add the code?

1 Like

I…actually don’t know the code OR how to implement it. Whoops?
Would you, ah, be able to educate me? If it’s no trouble lol

1 Like

When you use dashingdon, there is a box that mentions “use CJW Save Plugin” you may have ticked that box, but it doesnt work if you dont have it, you can download it here:

Just get the newer one, the “sm”, as it allows more than one slot.
Then, the code, must be on your startup scene
*sm_init [name of the game] | 3 (thats your number of slots)
Cough, cough, or at least, thats what I got from a quick look around my collection of incredibly useless links that are actually useful. If you need more help, you can ask one of the moderators or just another author.
And, to finish yet another wall, its no trouble lol

1 Like

Awesome, this will definitely be among the many fixes + additions in the next update.
Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hello,
Sorry to bother once again! On the topic of the save system, I am currently using CSIDE, and I play-test within CSIDE instead of on a browser. I created a browser file (insertgamenamehere.html) but I’m not sure where to place the smPlugin.js file.
Not sure if you’re well-versed in the art of coding, but I figured I’d ask anyways.
Thank you!!!

1 Like

For a hair color could black be offered?

1 Like

Will be implemented in next update, forgot to add. Very sorry about that!

1 Like

It must be included as a script, but unfortunately, since I have not yet seen CSIDE and try and see where it goes, I cant really help right now (I’ll download it, since it seems to be a very useful tool, when I do I can help lol) but try to get just the code there (and dont forget the bar | ) and use Dashingdon’s save plugin, no need for files.

EDIT: Also, no, lol, I am not well-versed at all in the sacred art of coding, but I plan on trying at least :v

2 Likes

Says that it’s an invalid command. You sure it’s still okay to upload to dashingdon along with checking the box?
Sorry for so many questions!
But yeah, CSIDE is the best thing that ever happened to my short coding life lol.

2 Likes

Dashingdon should be set up to correctly use the save commands, even if they’re talking back to you in CSIDE (or in your local ChoiceScript installation, for that matter.) Worst case scenario, you upload the version that includes saves, it doesn’t work, and you have to temporarily revert to the previous version until someone with a little more experience can give advice. No big deal. But I don’t believe that will happen. It should work as-is.

As for using smPlugin.js with CSIDE… I haven’t yet found a way to do it. You may have to *comment the lines relating to the save system while editing so CSIDE skips them, then remove the *comment statements before uploading.

By the way, is that error message showing up only in CSIDE, or both in CSIDE and your local ChoiceScript installation?

3 Likes

Oh boy, CJW, the guy who made the plugin, said CSIDE currently doesn’t support smPlugin, so there’s that, I just downloaded CSIDE and it looks very easy on my eyes :v

EDIT: or as @Minnow said exactly 10 seconds ago, yeah, you could just leave it hanging in there while you use CSIDE and then getting the init up and running just before you upload, its almost a win win right.

2 Likes

I… am completely lost with what you’re saying. My situation is as such:
I have downloaded two files. smPluginMenuAddon.js and smPlugin.js. I have no idea where they go, OR what to do with them. I am using CSIDE. When I use the *sm_init command, it says it doesn’t exist. And what I’m getting is that I should add it as a comment, ignore the error messages, and take away the *comment thing when I upload.
So…no smPluginMenuAddon.js or smPlugin.js needed? No idea.
Thank you for your time + help omg

2 Likes

Right, so I’m guessing it’ll work just fine when you play it, just not when you’re actually using CSIDE. Programming truly is a mystery, lol!
Thank you sooo much man

1 Like

If you upload your plain .txt files to Dashingdon, the commands should work whether or not you have either of the .js files downloaded (Edit: When playing or testing the game on Dashingdon).

They are, however, absolutely necessary to use the save system with your local ChoiceScript installation (Edit: for playing or testing offline). They’re also necessary if you’re exporting a compiled .html file instead of uploading .txt files, iirc.

As for using it in your local ChoiceScript installation, let’s see if I can remember this correctly:

First you want to move both .js files into the /web/ folder of your CS installation: the same one where scene.js and ui.js are.

Second, you go into the /mygame/ folder, where the index.html and mygame.js files are. You’re going to need to edit index.html with a text editor (such as, but not limited to, Notepad, Notepad++, etc.)

Once you have that index.html opened in your text editor of choice, you should see a long section that says things like:

<script>window.version="UNKNOWN"</script>
<script src="../version.js"></script>
<script src="../persist.js"></script>
<script src="../alertify.min.js"></script>
<script src="../util.js"></script>
<link href="../style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<style id="dynamic"></style>
<script src="../ui.js"></script>
<script src="../scene.js"></script>

…and so forth, and so on. You need to add two new lines in that section. The new lines should read:

<script src="../smPlugin.js"></script>
<script src="../smPluginMenuAddon.js"></script>

Note: The two new lines must be placed in that order, with smPlugin.js ahead of smPluginMenuAddon.js.

Once you’ve saved that, you should be able to use the save system both on Dashingdon AND locally through ChoiceScript… though not through CSIDE. It’s a cryin’ shame, I tell you.

4 Likes

Damn, that was a JOURNEY. Thank you soooo much for typing all that up, you should add this to the save-system FAQ—I’m sure a lot of other people would be as eternally grateful for this as I am.
Thank you an incredible amount for your time, I’ll definitely be adding this in the next update! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for doing that!

1 Like

Good job with the save plugin.

1 Like