Keepers (WIP- Demo, poll in last post)

Lmao this comment is genius

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Yes I’m sorry I didn’t end up posting before, there was a family emergency and well a lot has happened which didn’t allow me much time.

@Pandini Yes the game is still in progress. I have no intention of stopping this, just that it may be slower than most.

@alexxo97 Haha, I am flattered the prophets have mentioned this day, and I shall hope to not disappoint!

I’m glad to see there is still interest in this, and I really thank everyone for your endless patience. I know many of the other games are progressing much faster, so for those who don’t like waiting long, I apologise that it is, but I hope that doesn’t discourage you from keeping up, or stopping by.

As for a future update, I will be posting a mini one later tonight or tomorrow for the first parts of chapter 2. I’ll explain in that post, why it isn’t a bigger update at this time. I will also answer the questions from before the thread closed then.

Until then, I could really use your help! I’d love it for those who check out the demo and like it, if you could make a quick post, and if nothing else just let me know what your stats are at the end of the chapter. The information will really help me along with future updates.

Thank you guys again, and I hope you understand, and I also hope you guys are and will continue to enjoy this WIP!

5 Likes

Sure, here are my status:

Character Information:
Name: Ruhan
Eye Colour: amber
Hair Colour: light brown
Keeper Bloodline:
Keeper Rank: Intermediate
General Attributes:
Health: 55%
Charisma: 59%
Intelligence: 55%
Wisdom: 55%
Perception: 59%
Cunning: 56%
Skill: 35%
Lawful: 50% Chaotic: 50%
Loyalty: 52% Treachery: 48%
Popular: 50% Unpopular: 50%
Relationships:
Elior: 0%
???: 0%

A rich purple velvet covered journal, with your name embroidered in gold on the front.

Ruhan’s Journal

Entries
You have an entry in your journal.

Keeper Origins
You led a peaceful life in a small village for the first few years of your life. It wasn’t very exciting, but you had a loving family and a truly wonderful best friend so you never complained. This all changed when the Keepers came and took you to raise you as one of their own. You still wonder from time to time if you’ll ever see Taia again.

Current tasks:
What’s in a Pill?
Find out what the mysterious bottle of white pills left by your best friend could be.

Novice Spells:
Set clock time X
Spell is at maximum level.
Can set clock 30 minutes forwards or backwards.
Local reality can be affected only.
Cooldown: None.

ID time X
Spell is at maximum level.
Can ID the time outside at any location.
Cooldown: None.

Intermediate Spells:
Turn back time V
Spell is level V.
Can turn back time up to 1 hour.
Global reality affected.
Cooldown: 6 hours.

Ruhan’s Backpack
Kalens: 166

Items:
You have 7 items currently, with a maximum of 10 items total.

Red Notebook
A red notebook for history class.
Blue Notebook
A blue notebook for int. potion making.
Green Notebook
A green notebook for int. skills concentration.
Yellow Notebook
A yellow notebook for Keeper’s Course 2100.
Case
A case with various writing implements.
Secret Item: Creatures of Eldmoor I
A book with detailed information on the terrestrial creatures of Eldmoor.
Secret Item: Potions and Brews II
A book with a large collection of recipes for potions and brews.

2 Likes

How did you post your stats?

1 Like

I just copy paste it

Here it is! The perhaps too-long-awaited update for Chapter 2! The link is the first post is the most updated version.

This is a mini-update, because depending on what you did in Chapter 1, this part can be moderately long, or fairly short. There is a lot more to come for Chapter 2, so stay tuned!

Recommended save point(s): For chapter 1, the best place to save would be right when you choose what you do with your morning after the instructor comes by for a visit. Also, I’d highly recommend you save before you go down to breakfast, as there will be quite a few changes to the early parts of Chapter 2. For chapter 2, I would recommend saving just before you have to choose your partner for the Sim Lab.

Update List:
-Implemented Chapter 2
-Added breakfast scene
-Added Sim Lab Beginning
-Added 2 new tasks
-Can start increasing relationships with character(s)

On to do list:
-Add journal entries
-Modify backpack display
-Add equip page for character
-Add more gender options
-Work on Chapter 2

Stats (General Attributes & Relationships)

In order for me to make the game as diverse as possible, I need your help to do it. Once you reach the end of Chapter 1, please post your current stats under the “General Attributes” and “Relationships” sections of the stat page. I don’t need anything else, just the few percentages that are posted under those particular sections. This will help me fine tune other future choices if I know the ballpark, regarding each stat. Thank you very much!

Opinions especially needed on:
-Plot progression? Is it too slow? Too fast?
-Do you want a character profile? (Will be part of journal)
-Notify for journal entries?
-Achievements or no achievements?
-Any and all bugs and nonsense!

Comments and Notes on this Update

Chapter 2 General Info
This chapter will be more streamlined than the first, in the sense that you won’t have as much freedom to do what you want. Your decisions from Chapter 1 still remain, for example, if you asked a character to meet with them the next day, that will still happen, but otherwise, you’re more restricted. Despite this, there will still be some side quests available, either from Ch. 1 or new ones from this chapter which you will see, regardless of what you did in Ch. 1.

Backpack
At this time I’m trying to make the backpack feature better, because I have it set up to where, the items you carry are very specifically ordered. Thus, if you drop an item at this time, it will leave an odd space between other items.

Gender choice
As of right now, I do plan on adding more options for gender, and also the ability to not wear a specific gender’s clothing. This of course, will come a fairly great cost if you choose to do so, but you’ll find that out later.

As always, any and all comments, questions, and concerns are welcomed.

I thank each of you for being patient with me, and hope the updates are worth the wait. Please let me know if there are any bugs you encounter, or if you feel something doesn’t work well, or you think something might work better. I’m always open for suggestion.

Thanks again and happy adventuring!

6 Likes

@ParrotWatcher
Thanks so much for taking the time to play the demo!

As for the flashback, it will come back which is why I kept it. This has a lot to do with being able to Keep Time, and a previous decision that was supposedly made. However, I was wondering if you could help me with some suggestions on how to make it less confusing then? I know it’s an odd start to the game, and it does clear up more with the game, but that won’t be apparent in the first couple of chapters, and may confuse others as well.

Also, I actually did do the *disable_reuse, but due to the Keeper ability switched it out. I will, however, go back and streamline it, now that I have the entirety of Chapter 1 complete.

As far as this goes, yes, I have made up my mind about it. I have decided to add romance to the game, because it’s something I would like to try, and I’m sure people would enjoy seeing. As for the next part of your comment, I think I’ve already made the mistake of adding some non-bisexual ROs, but some characters at this point are not ROs. I’ve decided to go with the twin method for one, and then around two or so options for each of the specific genders. I’m sorry though that you speak from experience, that sounds like an incredibly tedious project to work with! I hope it went well for you though!

I will definitely make it more clear, thank you very much for pointing that out!

@Kimberlee_DaRosa
Thank you very much for letting me know! Also, cats are an excellent suggestion, though I’m afraid one may not see to it in this game, but perhaps some future game! insert ooos and other gasps here
As for being able to choose what to wear, I also agree, there are times I do the same, which is why I brought this up. I will definitely be adding it to the game once I get the demo a little further along, as it will take quite a major rehaul to do so. Rest assured, it will occur, but be wary of your choice!

Check out the newest update, hopefully, this’ll answer your hope, but if not, feel free to ask! Also, no damage done with babbling, I love the babble, it helps me know just what I need to do, and learn more about all the lurkers and posters out there. Thanks again so much!

@Drakeye The sound of silence rang for a while, but some noise has come back. Thank you again for the encouragement!

@Pandini I’m glad you to, and thanks for sticking with me even after a thread closure!

@Vattena Thank you very much! You have taken the first step to helping me make this game just a little bit better. The info is definitely useful to me, though I should have clarified I only really needed the General Attributes and Relationship stats. That was my bad though, I still really appreciate you posting this.

2 Likes

So is Eri a RO for girls? Because she’s really cute so far :heart_eyes:

Great work so far! I really enjoyed all the descriptions of what’s in a room and how much you could do in them. Hopefully you’ll be able to do that for the whole game.

Oh, it certainly seems necessary; just confusing. Looking at it, I guess part of the problem is that it starts with a description of the friend (in past tense), before going onto a brief mention of “the day you got this picture”. This part is still pretty obvious, but then on the next page, it gets less so.

There was a fractic knock at your door.

I think this is where the problems arise; I read it as breaking my MC out of his reverie, but obviously it was supposed to be just another part of said reverie. Also, while I know now that the mentions of his parents wouldn’t make sense in the present, at that point in the story, we don’t know that he’s not living with them any more. Maybe if you started with “You remember that there had been a frantic knock at your door,” or something like that? :thinking: (Also, that should be “frantic”.)

Well, that’s your prerogative, but I feel that you should definitely make the most important ROs (Elior? I haven’t played the update yet…) bisexual, otherwise it’s really not fair. And try not to make the straight guy much nicer than the gay one… :unamused:

I’m afraid I’m not certain what you’re saying here… :confused: Never mind; we have twins now. But are the two or so options in addition to them?

1 Like

Just played the update… LOVE IT!! I want moremoremore!

Going through the WIP again, I notice that the choices made when meeting the teacher seem a little imbalanced. If it was just the relationship with the teacher that they affected, it would be fine, but it looks like they change the MC’s charisma itself. Unless there are benefits to low charisma, this means that one of the choices is explicitly the correct one, which is something that I feel these sorts of games should avoid. (Also, I’d be far more suspicious of someone who says “It is always a pleasure to see you, Mr. Harstrell. You look great this morning by the way. What is it you need me for?” than “Err…Good Morning Mr. Harstrell. Is there something I can help you with?”. The first guy is obviously hiding something. :unamused:)

Yea…sure…”
(As a reply to Teva.) Firstly, that should be “Yeah”, not “Yea”, but more importantly, I have no idea if this is a nice (if a bit lacklustre) reply or a sarcastic one. (It looks like the former was correct, but I couldn’t tell just from the choice.)

Certainly keeping the room at this level of untitidness is against the Keeper’s Ways,

Should be “untidiness”.

You also admit, along with most of the others, that she is extremely beautiful.

Do I have to feel that she’s very beautiful? :unamused: (Or could I get her brother, instead? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: And now I understand what you meant by the “twin method”…)

(And then her twin didn’t show up at breakfast… :disappointed:)

I think you might have got Elior and Taia mixed up at breakfast (I get the cuter one, so it’s not that bad, but still…) Although that does make me wonder, it feels a bit non-intuitive to let us choose who our best friend is, only to have us stuck with the one we didn’t choose. (I mean, in my WIP, the “unchosen” friend gets to give the MC the kiss of life, but it’s not like the MC had much choice in the matter…)

Not that I really mind about her (because Nur’s finally showed up :heart_eyes:), but I don’t get the option to pair up with Taia for the practical.

And my stats:

Character Information:
Name: Gwydion
Eye Colour: amethyst
Hair Colour: dark brown
Keeper Bloodline:
General Attributes:
Health: 100%
Charisma: 50%
Intelligence: 51%
Wisdom: 54%
Perception: 55%
Cunning: 52%
Skill: 30%
Loyalty: 50% Treachery: 50%
Popular: 62% Unpopular: 38%
Relationships:
Taia: 7%
Liora: 10%

Disappointed to see neither Elior or Nur on the relationships list.

As far as the romances go, I would again very strongly recommend that both best friends and both twins (if available) are bisexual. The best friends, as they seem to be the most important thus far (when Elior returns), and the twins because we seem to be able to choose either of them. (I’d actually go so far as to suggest that we get to choose which of the twins we room near, since otherwise the only guy nearby is the crazy plant guy…)

1 Like

@Lizzy She might be, she might be not. You’ll find out soon!

@Sigma11 Thank you very much! I’m glad you enjoy that there are more options than you know what to do with, I will try to keep it that way throughout the game, but coding for that will be much slower.

@ParrotWatcher (I’ll reply to your both your posts here, since you played through again. Which, thank you by the way, I really appreciate the time you’re taking to do this, it helps me out a lot!)

Okay, I think I see what you mean. The fact that this part of the story was actually the MC reflecting back, wasn’t very clear at all, now that I read over it again. I will go back and switch that out, to make sure it’s obvious.

Yes, and I do plan on making the best friend option bisexual, I just haven’t fully implemented that yet. Though, (assuming you invited someone to breakfast) you should have been able to have one option where you can attempt to start a relationship with the best friend regardless of your gender. This is not yet the case for Eri, but I’ll be adding that later. I’ll go back and check though, since it may not have been implemented correctly. Also, I have no intention of making one more nicer than the other simply due to orientation. I hope it didn’t seem to come off that way, and I’m sorry if that’s been the case in other games. To me, a character will be nice/mean based on who they were and turn out to be, not just because of one aspect.

Yes, it will be in addition to the twins, but will show up later.

Yes, the way you interact with teachers and others higher up will affect key stats especially Charisma, Lawful and Loyalty. However, I do agree that the first option of saying it’s always a pleasure to see you when it isn’t, is more suspicious than the hesitation. It’s actually made to where some choices will increase a stat, and others may decrease a stat. It’s not what I would consider is a wrong choice, but certainly not the best choice, and the reason I’m doing that is because at times we all make not-so-great decisions, but it doesn’t always lead to a worse outcome. If, however, you do feel throughout the rest of the game it seems more like a right/wrong decision, please let me know and I’ll see what I can change to make it not that way.

That’s fair, there isn’t too much to go off and tone through text is harder to decipher, especially on the internet. I’ll go back and change that to make it more sincere.

Thanks for pointing out the typo! Also, you don’t, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. I’ve had a previous comment on how those types of remarks seem to be forced upon the character, rather than you as the player getting to reach your own decision. I’ll probably go back and edit those to make it less so. You can get her brother though! The reason he isn’t at breakfast yet, is because I’m actually working on that right now. It’ll be in the next update, but for now, I’m sorry you’ll be stuck with the wrong twin!

This is where I’m debating a few things myself.

I should first off mention the best friend you choose at the beginning is not the same as the best friend who is with you currently in the Keepers’ Grounds. You will actually be seeing your “first” best friend (the one you originally chose) a little later on in this chapter. I do understand how it can be confusing, unless you visit all the rooms, so I will need to clear up that the one in the picture is not present at this time.
With that said, I know it’s strange I’m letting you choose your best friend, but then you’re with the other. However, that choice comes back later and you hopefully won’t feel as if you’re stuck with the one you didn’t want. This is also the reason why Taia doesn’t show up for the practical.

Thank you for posting your stats!

Once I fully implement the wanting to meet the twin and meeting them at breakfast, you’ll see it on your list. The reason why you don’t see Elior yet is due to what I explained above, and don’t worry, you’ll see him soon.

I will be making this the case for both options, but the coding is taking a little while for that :sweat_smile:.

I had originally planned the dorming to be more similar to a boarding school, where the girls and boys are separated, but had scratched that idea last minute and just added everyone in one wing to make it easier. Also, while I wouldn’t mind giving people the option to choose this, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to go about asking that, since I’m trying to keep everything as immersive as possible, and the room you get or the people next to you is usually not something you can choose. I was also thinking of making it so that when you are introduced to the twin, you find out what room they are in and it would be fairly close, perhaps down one of the other hallways. Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

@FutbolDude21586 Thank you very much, I’m glad you enjoyed it! (Also if you wouldn’t mind posting your general attributes and relationships stats, that would be awesome too!)

4 Likes

That’s okay; I’m enjoying it (twin problems aside… :cry:)

Sorry, no, it wasn’t you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It was just bitterness from previous games…

I guess I’d see Charisma as somewhat different from Lawful, as I can see places where a low Lawful would be a good thing, but not a low Charisma. But I guess if you’re mainly using the stats for flavour text rather than win/fail conditions, it shouldn’t be too bad.

:sob:

Yeah, I worked this out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Except at breakfast, where they switch.)

I guess the problem is that I get to choose, and suddenly I’m best friends with the one I didn’t choose. Maybe if I wasn’t forced to be such good friends with her, it would feel less awkward.

Except we’ve presumably known them for a few years by now; surely I’d have found out his room number at some point before this (he doesn’t seem to be as reclusive as the plant guy). I’m sure my MC hasn’t been ignoring him all these years.

3 Likes

I promise at this point, the twim problem is now resolved! (Just finished coding the part, actually.) So in the next update, if you chose to meet with the twin, you should meet them during breakfast. I’ll be checking to make sure it does, but if it doesn’t feel free to rage and rant about it not working and I’ll get on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have noticed that in some games I’ve played before, though I never understood why. It just seems silly to me to do that.

That’s something I may have to see going forward. Yes, some of it is for flavour text, but there will be restricted options later on in the game based on these stats. If it does seem like a problem at that time, I’ll go back and edit it, but I’ll definitely need more stats to see where everyone’s falling with their play-throughs.

Is it switching right at the beginning of breakfast? Where you chose Elior to be your best friend from the village, which means that Taia is your best friend in the Keeper world, but Elior is showing up for breakfast? Edit: never mind, I know what you mean, I found the place where it switches. It’s confusing and oh right, poll!

I do see what you mean, and I’m actually going to put a poll at the end of the post about this. Depending on how it goes, I’ll either clear up the fact that the one you choose is not your current best friend, or switch it so that the choice is your current best friend.

You would, he definitely isn’t like Teva, quite the opposite in fact. Hmm…well when I put up the next update, would you be able to tell me how it is at that time? If it still seems to be a problem or seems strange, I can figure out what to do then.

I see what you mean now but not getting her as an option. I’m assuming you chose Elior as your best friend in the photograph, and you met with Taia for breakfast. However, when it comes to choosing partners, Taia isn’t showing up for you as an option right?

Is the best friend choice confusing (especially after you go down to breakfast)?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Didn’t pay attention.
0 voters
2 Likes

Here are my status:

• General Attributes:
    • Health: 50%
    • Charisma: 57%
    • Intelligence: 51%
    • Wisdom: 53%
    • Perception: 55%
    • Cunning: 52%
    • Skill: 30%

Loyalty: 52% Treachery: 48%
Popular: 54% Unpopular: 46%

• Relationships:
    • Elior: 5%
    • ???: 0%
    • ???: 0%
1 Like

OMG I didn’t know that’s how it worked! I guess this is what happens when I try to rid my play throughs of all the males :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s basically it, yeah. I mean, I wasn’t going to choose her anyway, but it seemed weird that she had been listed among the people there, but not made available in the choice. :smile:

Well, I didn’t find it confusing (apart from the bit where it switched around; otherwise it was reasonably obvious what was happening), so much as disappointing (I want my Elior!).

I know! (Although in the opposite direction. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) I might have to choose Taia as my “best friend”… At least we should be able to get the right twin from now on…

2 Likes

Character Information:
Name: Gwydion
Eye Colour: amethyst
Hair Colour: dark brown
Keeper Bloodline:
General Attributes:
Health: 100%
Charisma: 48%
Intelligence: 50%
Wisdom: 48%
Perception: 52%
Cunning: 52%
Skill: 30%
Lawful: 46% Chaotic: 54%
Loyalty: 50% Treachery: 50%
Popular: 50% Unpopular: 50%
Relationships:
Taia: 5%
Gwydion’s Backpack
Kalens: 164

Items:
You have 7 items currently, with a maximum of 10 items total.

Red Notebook
A red notebook for history class.
Blue Notebook
A blue notebook for int. potion making.
Green Notebook
A green notebook for int. skills concentration.
Yellow Notebook
A yellow notebook for Keeper’s Course 2100.
Case
A case with various writing implements.
Secret Item: Creatures of Eldmoor I
A book with detailed information on the terrestrial creatures of Eldmoor.

Secret Item: Bottle of pills
An unlabelled bottle with mysterious white pills.

1 Like

@Vattena Thank you very much for the help!

Haha it is, however, from the polls it looks like I’ll be changing this slightly now. (You can still ignore all the males as you please though :smile:)

You still sound so bitter about this :sweat_smile: I promise it’s getting fixed!

Yes, actually that was a coding error, I didn’t notice it until you pointed that out. Thank you though! It is fixed now and I’ll make a note of that in the future update.

Haha, well according to many others, it did seem more confusing than not, so I will be switching this. You will have your Elior soon!

@alexxo97 Thank you so much for putting your stats out, it really helps! In future though, you can just give me the stats found under the [General Attributes] and [Relationships] sections. It’ll be less for you to copy and paste, as well as flip to. Thanks again!

Due to the current votes on the poll, I will be switching the best friend option. The best friend you choose will now be the one in the Keepers’ Ground, not from the village.

If you have any objections to this, please feel free to let me know, this will be made clear with the next update as well.

As always, please help me out by posting your [General Attributes] and [Relationship] stats if you do check out the game (and haven’t done so already). Also, thank you to those that have already posted your stats!

Stay tuned

3 Likes