Keeper of the Sun and Moon (WIP)

Oh my God, Y E S. Leon and Cyrus being shady is something I have to witness before I die. And they do have one common enemy: Astrid. @daydreamsincolor Pretty please? Can we have a shady Cyrus and Leon moment?

2 Likes

Hate to say I told you so @Fay . But Keeper seems to have been moved back a week due to whatever is clogging up the release pipeline and could possibly be moved back even further if Dragon Racer is going to jump the queue (considering that was slated to be an X-mas release last year). :unamused:
Wish CoG would tell us what the delay is about, though I’m guessing something to do with Apple crap, as that seems to be the most usual cause for delays. :unamused:

Now, sadly, three.

1 Like

Dragon Racer is still in copyedit. It’s not coming out anytime soon.

3 Likes

So, is it Apple again? If so since I still have a couple of days off I might write my frustrations away by sending them an angry letter.
Really stoked for both Gladiator and of course Keeper. :persevere:

Noted. It’s still the only one listed on Steam tho.

Oof. 3 weeks? That’s rough.

Hey, dragon racer! I loved that WIP and I really loved my chaotic dragon companion :two_hearts: So glad that it’s being released —

I spoke too soon :sob:

7 Likes

Dragon racer is the reincarnation of Dragon booster.

@daydreamsincolor

Love the Yakov fluff.

1 Like
Winter short with all the ROs

The Brownie Café was packed when the eleven of them arrived.

“That it’s tradition is a stupid reason to do something,” grumbled Seraphina, shaking snow out of her hair.

Astrid laughed, stomping off her boots. “You’re saying tradition is a stupid reason to do something?”

“It’s a ridiculous practice,” Seraphina continued. She pulled up a chair to where the others had taken seats by the fire. “A snowball fight has no clear rules or winners.”

“We won, obviously,” replies Leon easily. He’d been the first to shrug off his coat, after Cyrus had unceremoniously threw a handful of snow down his back.

Cyrus rolled his eyes, tugging off his gloves. “In what universe?”

“It seemed evenly matched,” said Cressida, sipping her hot chocolate as she joined the rest of the group.

“You didn’t think to get any for the rest of us?” Cyrus snapped.

She shrugged. “MC and Kol are coming with the hot chocolates, and Thalia was getting whatever holiday sweets this place is offering.”

“Who trusted Thalia to get the sweets?” asked Yakov, frowning.

“She took the initiative herself,” said Altair. He stole a phoenix marshmallow from Cressida’s hot chocolate, and she batted him away halfheartedly.

“Well, she better have gotten the chocolate dragon egg brownies,” groaned Astrid.

“I’m sure she remembered,” said Katia comfortingly, warming her hands by the conjured fire.

“Well, if she didn’t—She did! Yay!” Astrid’s face went from overjoyed to horrified in a split second. “Wait, no, THALIA—“

Still at the register, Kol glanced back at the others, then at MC. “We don’t know them, right?”

“Right.”

16 Likes

Where can I find the flowchart that showed all the magics?

The chart I think you’re referring to was drafted very early in the process of the game—it’s not very relevant anymore.

The main types of magic in Keeper are ritual magic, physical magic (e.g. telekinesis, elemental manipulation), psychic abilities, and celestial magic. There is overlap between these categories, though (e.g. control magic would fall between physical and psychic magic).

5 Likes

@daydreamsincolor Hey, so I read your tumblr blog and apparently some characters have “spoilery” powers. Will MC get the chance to use/learn the powers or is it only restricted to those characters?

2 Likes

MC will have the chance to use Cressida and Katia’s favorite powers, but they probably won’t have the chance to use Leon or Yakov’s.

2 Likes

Ever wonder what the other characters think about Seraphina? Read more to find out.

Read more

Altair - “Seraphina’s…kind of intimidating, honestly. But she also seems pretty lonely.”
Astrid - “She’s a total ‘holier than thou’ type.”
Cressida - “She likes to think she’s smarter than other people.”
Cyrus - “I like her, and she annoys Cressida, which is always a plus.”
Katia - “Seraphina’s wonderful, amazing, and completely brilliant!”
Kol - “She’s incredibly smart. It’s kind of scary.”
Leon - “She’s tolerable when she’s not bossing you around”
Thalia - “She’s pretty anti-fun. Not cool, Red.”
Yakov - “Seraphina’s a good person.”

11 Likes

I was half expecting her to say she’d never met Seraphina but she sounded nice… :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Same. I’m pretty sure that she assumes that everyone is nice, even Reyna.

2 Likes

Well that’s not only her, I remember from the beta that even Reyna gets more respect and empathy from the magical authorities then our mc does, particularly with that new prologue. :unamused:

Wouldn’t that depend on the mc’s species? I mean the mc can, after all, be a mostly human punch or gunslinger mage (as soon as we can actually obtain a decent gun that is.)
In any case the mc can only barely control the “powers” they’ve got now. And with the new opening my mc kinda starts out hating his supposed “powers” and the whole charity case magical university deal they saddle him with.

So I’m really hoping for the kind of backtalk to Petrova where my mc can tell her that it is his firm belief that his “powers” are only dangerous to himself, not others, as proven by the new version of the Gorgon encounter, where they literally wouldn’t manifest to even try and save his own life. :unamused:

Yeah, but we have no idea what those powers are. The sequel is p a c k e d with new and juicy material and more leon content. I wonder what the third book will be like and if the author has something planned for book 3.

To quote the author:

It seems like Leon and Yakov are the special boys in town.

What if MC starts out as “weak” in the 1st book, only to evolve their abilities and become powerful in the third book? 2nd book might give the MC a chance to further develop their powers, 3rd book is where MC has reached their full potential. And not in a rushed way or something, maybe we will be given certain choices in the 2nd and 3rd book to raise our stats which means that not every playthrough results in a magically OP mc. I guess you’re frustrated over the fact that MC is painted as a damsel in distress and their raw potential is trivialized in the new opening. But this will give the player a chance to grow in the upcoming books. I’m looking at Keeper as an entire trilogy and its potential as a series and how the MC will grow with each book, but if we only focus on the 1st book then I do understand your points. However, if we look at the 3 books as a running story it might change the whole point of view. But of course, all we have to analyze and work with is the 1st book because the 2nd and 3rd isn’t even released yet.

2 Likes

That’s true to a certain extent, the old opening gave us at least a hint of true potential when our raw magic was still badass enough to defeat the Gorgon and inadvertently save Astrid too. In the new one our mc’s supposed powers refuse to manifest when their lives are actually in imminent danger. I mean if that didn’t “wake up” our powers, how worthwhile could they possibly be? (Again, I know that depends on species more than anything in terms of mechanics) but it is not only that we no longer get a hint of true potential, even if the mc is and always was awfully lacking in actual control of their abilities, but in the new situation the magical powers that refused to manifest to even save his life “choose” to do so just in order to force him to remember a mind-rape attempt and then get him dumped as a political charity case (not a president’s list scholarship like in the old situation either) at a magical university he didn’t even want to attend.

The other very big negative in the early game is now the Monroe party in chapter 3. Compared to the old situation the reason the mc is invited there has already changed from “the others want to meet the dude/girl who saved Astrid by defeating a Gorgon with wild magic” To " the young magical elite wants to gawp at the damsel in distress muggle Astrid had to save from a Gorgon". To make it worse, if Astrid doesn’t resize Leon’s clothes for male mc they also have to attend in their bloody and torn and probably stinking rags. So it really feels like an event designed to humiliate and mock the poor, charity case mc now.
Lastly, there is Alty’s big secret arc in the late-game that is probably going to feel very different now, but since I did not get to play that part during the very brief time the beta had the new opening available I’m going to see how that actually goes down in-game before I comment on it.

So, yes, compared to the old opening my main mc, in particular, would now feel very negatively about both his supposed “powers” and what he learns about Keepers being forced to become celestial magic users does nothing to improve his opinions and (his potential place in) the magical world. :unamused:

Right now that’s all we’ve got. So, yes, it is based on that and I greatly preferred the old situation where we had a near perfect balance going where the mc felt neither over nor underpowered (if a bit weak on actually controlling their powers) nor over or underprivileged. The privilege has changed even more than the actual powers as the mc is now potentially very underprivileged and regarded by nearly everyone as a charity case.

As far as book 2 goes, with the way things are looking now, given that even in the old situation my main mc was already not exactly enthusiastic about the Keeper thing due to celestial magic and potential overuse syndrome the new situation is likely to make him downright opposed to anything to do with that role.

I think we need to stop with all the negative conjecture though since we have no idea what the author did on Chapter 2 onwards. There might be some changes that justify the change that happen on Chapter 1 and didn’t the author mention that we will not be a damsel in distress for the rest of Book One?

7 Likes

I do, I played the beta with the new opening, all the way through chapter 4. I have no idea about the late game, that’s true but I did play right up until the end of the Monroe party with it during the final beta days and a bit beyond. Unless that’s changed hugely in the copy edit I still have some inkling of what’s coming the mc’s way in the rest of the early game.

1 Like