Keeper of the Sun and Moon (WIP)

@AAO
Regarding MC’s essay: Both :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. (It was a coding error.)

@Greyscales
Sorry, no time for Alty’s secret this game. Which is to say, there is still time for Kol’s, Thalia’s, Gisela’s, Yakov’s, Katia’s, Jarrod’s, and Astrid’s :thinking:

@Sleepyowl
Hm, you’re right, I do need to come up with a good grades reward :sweat_smile:

@Sylfaen
Any of the ‘special’ origins would contain spoilers for further on in the game, so they haven’t been added yet. I still plan to add special origins though.

@AAO
Regarding hunter MC…see above :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Will add darkness/light manipulation grade increases.

@Drakeye
From memory, Magi!MC can use it in Chapter 8. Human!MC can resist it in 7. There’s also a possibility to resist it in Chapter 4, with Astrid.

@idonotlikeusernames
MC should have a chance to meet Altair and Astrid’s parents if they spend winter break with them.

Now how to introduce the ROs to MC’s parents…

@TSSL
Kol’s sister was originally going to be a minor character. She will briefly appear though at some point.

The peripheral option at the moment is almost impossible to get, but I’ll be increasing existing elemental manipulation boosts for next update. (And I now have a chart with max stat levels after each chapter :joy:).

16 Likes

My mc had hoped to be able to spend Winter Break with his mom in the human world, but he did already know that was never going to happen but he (and I) did fully expect that we would have to remain on campus to receive not-so-fun “remedial education” for missing out on about two decades of Magi experience. So being able spend the Winter Break with the RO’s and their family would be the next best thing. Although considering the apparent status of Alty’s family my mc had better begin to save up for a decent wardrobe, as all we have now is some cheap and generic stuff that’s barely fit for normal classes. :worried:

Indeed. :thinking:

Aww…but my mc has simply got to know Alty’s big secret, but he doesn’t care so much about Astrid’s. :disappointed:

Fortunately my quite non-nephilim acting nephilim mc is dating, or trying to, Altair instead. Though he is rather nervous about meeting Alty’s rich family too and not merely because he hasn’t got anything to wear. :sweat:

Of course Alty, has secrets, probably the biggest ones of them all, if that cryptic fortune teller is any indication. If they’re not going to be revealed this game that practically smells like sequel bait to me. :thinking:
Particularly the whole "this game" comment. :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Huh, looks like now the top male ROs are Yakov and Kol in both romance polls :thinking: it keeps changing.

That’s a different kind of dragon, right? :worried:

Ooh, intrigue. :astonished: I am worried about what Kol is hiding, though :cold_sweat:
(Wait, does that mean Alty doesn’t have a secret, or he has one that won’t be revealed? :sweat_smile:)

Very carefully? :cold_sweat:

Ooh, exciting :smiley:

1 Like

Not all the time. I think. Besides, would it make that much of a difference to you? And we don’t even know what Dragons are like.

With a knife?

By selecting new game on Skyrim’s main menu :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@daydreamsincolor I’ve a question, if I may.

If/when we fight the “bad guys” will we have the option to straight up kill them, or is the MC not that cynical yet? (Additionally, who in the group would react negatively to us killing people?)

5 Likes

“Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?”
-Hadvard

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I popped out with scales all over my body but then I shifted into my human form. My ma is human so I’d have to guess that akatosh is my pa.

Must make an interesting career day at school. “What does your dad do for a living?” “He’s the world eater”

5 Likes

I vote for making Briseis a fully fledged RO. My MC is already half dragon, he might as well stick his penis inside one.

16 Likes

Alright! I have now finished reading through chapter5.txt. As before, I’ve stuck a lot of the proofreading and bug details under arrows at the end, to avoid making this post even more of a gargantuan mammoth than it is already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Okay, so one thing that I was noticing a lot is that the fight (and some other places in the game) is often set up so that if you succeed at a skill, you get a reward in that same skill, which is higher than the reward if you fail. We were talking a bit about potential issues with that in this thread… the basic problem is the “rich get richer” effect… actually, looks like there was a nice post on that it another thread as well. It can lead to early failures and successes spiralling out of control and exerting a disproportionate influence on later stats, which can make underdog stories more difficult, for an example.

The scene with the hunters was dramatic :astonished: I do feel a bit suspicious about this necklace that’s supposed to dampen background thoughts. Especially since the advice is just not to think directly about the hunters around Seraphina… and it’s so difficult to avoid thinking about something when you’re told not to, because you then keep thinking about not thinking about it :sweat_smile: And then I also wonder if a telepath might be able to pick up on the fact that background thoughts seem duller than they should be.

Plus, I’m just not sure the extent to which I should trust these hunters :worried: they seem surprisingly trusting of the MC (what if the MC were a double agent!) :sweat:

We get some pretty interesting hints about Thalia on the date with her… plus she’s just a really fun character :grin: Also thought it was interesting that you can mention the control magic thing to her… I wonder if there’ll be anyone else I can mention it to :open_mouth:

Okay, now for some more specific comments…

*page_break
“I just don’t understand why we can’t use the simulation room for whatever this is,” says Kol.

Okay, so here’s a point where we have an abrupt scene transition. I think for this one, just sticking some text on the *page_break command so it’ll appear on the “next” button would be enough to tell the reader that we’re shifting scenes :thinking:

Also, up at five AM? :weary:

“Let’s go then,” says Yakov. “$!{name}, did you need a ride?”

So, at this point, you’ll ride with either Yakov or Kol, depending on how much Yakov likes you. I was just wondering, since Kol’s available anyway, if it might be possible to be able to ask to ride with him anyway? :innocent: Unless this is just me being a hopeless romantic :blush:

A generic magi-care pack.

When selecting what to bring to the scary exam, the other options give a little explanation of what they are, but not this one. When I was playing (rather than code-reading), I wasn’t sure what this would refer to.

#Can you punch a manticore? Of course you can punch a manticore!
*comment no you cannot, MC

I thought this was really funny :laughing: and I wonder if you might want to include that option for the hydra too.

“We were really worried about you,” says Kol, more gently. “Are you all right?”

Aw, Kol :blush: I also notice that he’s the only one whose relationship doesn’t drop because of the MC “getting lost” in the woods :blush:
…Granted, he’ll feel so betrayed if he learns the reason the MC got lost in the woods :anguished:

#Join them in their interrogation.

Considering that this can result in Ebner saying that he’s disappointed in the MC, I wonder if this should lead to a relationship drop with him :thinking:

*if lawful < 40
#“I’d rather not watch anything at all, frankly.”

I’m not sure I understand why that would be a low lawful thing specifically :confused:

#“Fun…”
#“Care to explain, Leon?”

There’s nothing under either of these options in the Cressida/Leon/Cyrus conversation, which leads to abruptly entering the Cressida conversation without any explanation that the other characters are going to the Solanaceae.

#“I just wanted to learn more about you. You seem nice.”
“Aw, you’re sweet, $!{name}.” He laughs.

Okay, yeah, Altair is pretty cute too :blush:
It also seemed pretty significant that his first reaction to telling more about himself was to launch into a story about Astrid… does he not realize that he’s interesting too? :frowning:

It was good to learn that ritual magic has fewer negative effects than other forms of magic :thinking: this is useful info.

Yakov is sitting on one of the couches, reading a novel you don’t recognize. You try to read the title, but it’s not in English.

I was curious what it does look like it’s in :thinking: I mean, if it’s in a different alphabet, I’d be able to notice that, and if it’s in the Roman alphabet, I could probably tell roughly what kind of language it appears to be even if I don’t know it :thinking: and if it doesn’t look like something recognizable (because magic?) that would be significant too.

Kol frowns. “I don’t remember reading that anywhere in the guidebook.”

She snickers. “You actually read that crap?”

“…Yeah.”

“Well, that must have been a waste of five hours.”

“It didn’t take five hours!”

“It was six hundred pages!”

This is both funny and really endearing (for both Thalia and Kol) :blush:

(Hey, I’m pretty sure I’m obligated to make multiple comments on Kol’s cuteness in all of these :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

bugs (and stuff that may be bugs)

#I throw my energy shield at it.
*set fighting +1
*set fighting +2

Are both of these supposed to be fighting? This would be equivalent to just fight +3, after all… or was one of them supposed to be something else? (Other uses of the energy shield are like this as well.)

If you use the energy shield against the manticore, and it breaks, you should set energyshield false. As written, I can use the energy shield again after it’s already broken :stuck_out_tongue:

*if magicarepacks > 0
*set fightturns +9
*set magicarepacks -1

Using the magicarepacks restores health to 80 in the hydra path, but it doesn’t restore health to 80 in the manticore path, which it should. (I mean, you still get fixed up at the health center soon afterwards, but it’s still inconsistent.)

#“Did you find the lilies?”

This gives a -1 to seraphinaemotions in the manticore path, but not in the hydra path. I’m guessing it probably should apply to the hydra path as well, yes? :thinking:

“We’ll take it under advisement.” He turns to Astrid and Leon. “Although the two of you should model the behavior of your more rational suitemates.”

You need a *goto gobacktoschool after this line. Otherwise, you fall through and can end up returning to your arrival at the pickup site. You need this *goto after the choice to “ignore them and confer with my more rational suitemates” as well.

*set learnrdj true

This doesn’t do anything? :confused:

“It’d be nice to meet them some time,” you say.

You can get to this line even if you have met them. (Because the option under *if (metkatia) has a *goto that still leads there.)

*if element = “fire”
“I can only hope it’s not your doing.”
*if element = “fire”
“I can only hope it’s not Briseis’ doing.”

The second one should be if the element is not fire.

proofreading stuff

It’s not human, can’t be, because there are scales and bat wing and limbs that shouldn’t exist,

I think this probably should be “bat wings.” Unless it’s just “a bat wing.”

You reach forward reflexively, but it’s awake then, and you’re trapped in a

This doesn’t work if your element is ice, because the next words are “icy blizzard” and you can’t have a icy blizzard. So I’d say just remove “a” from the previous line, and stick “a” or “an” into the *if clauses as appropriate.

Isn’t that later policy too harsh?

This should be “latter.” The distinction would be that “later” would be something that happens afterwards in time, and “latter” would be the last part of a list. (And “later” rhymes with “hater,” :angry: while “latter” rhymes with “hatter.” :cowboy_hat_face:)

But eventually, the hydra falls to the ground, dead.

Why “but”? This comes after a description of the fighting, which may read as having just injured the hydra… so the sentence usually doesn’t look like it’s in contrast to whatever came before. I think starting with “Eventually” would likely suffice :thinking:

She grabs your arm and yanks you to the ground, right before you would have been impaled by a huge spike, that flies into the tree behind you.

You don’t need a comma after “spike.” Alternatively, you could keep the comma, but replace “that” with “which.” I kinda think the latter might read better, actually, but it’s really up to you :thinking:

“Shit. Manticore.”

Who said that? Is it Thalia? If it is, you could put her action “Thalia pulls you out of the way…” on the same line, so we see it’s the same person. If it’s someone else, you might want to attribute it.

(I think generally there’s a few times when there’s multiple people in the group that it becomes a bit hard to track who’s talking… something to bear in mind :thinking:)

These guys want to kill you, too? Does anyone not want you to at this rate!?

Something’s not quite right in the second sentence… I think just get rid of the word “you.”

#“So you hunt supernatural?”

This use of the word “supernatural” was a bit odd… you’re treating it like the word “deer,” I guess :thinking: (So you hunt deer?) But I would’ve expected something more like “So you hunt the supernatural?” (since “the supernatural” is a common phrase) or “So you hunt supernatural beings/monsters/whatever?” or even just pluralizing it like “So you hunt supernaturals?”

#If I’m stuck here, I might as well learn how to kill supernatural.

It felt even weirder in this sentence… like if someone said “I might as well learn how to kill mortal.”

Anyway, I guess it all depends on the grammar you choose to set for the supernatural in your setting, as long as you’re consistent :slight_smile:

Knowing, you’ll have a better chance with Astrid, you don’t bother chastising Leon.

and

Knowing, you’ll have a better chance with Leon, you don’t bother chastising Astrid.

You don’t need a comma after “knowing.” Because you’re basically saying “Knowing (that) you’ll have…”

You shake your head, and she doesn’t say anymore on the matter.

This should be “any more” instead of “anymore.” You use “anymore” to mean “in the future,” pretty much, in sentences like “I won’t punch manticores anymore.” You use “any more” when you’re literally talking about more of something, like “I won’t punch any more manticores.”

Some cambion are able to do it with enough training,

Shouldn’t this be “cambions”? That’s what you’ve used as the plural elsewhere.

*comment

He sighs. “Well, it would have been easier if you’d just taken my offer, but it’s your choice.”

The formatting can get a bit funny here, because this often, though not always, follows another line of dialog also spoken by Leon. So you don’t really need that line break in those cases. Better to place the line break under the *if where you need it, and not have one under the *comment here.

"I don’t know, he always seems to try to hard.

This should be “too hard,” and you need an end quote. (Also, this is a mean thing to say about poor Kol :cry:)

“Not much luck?” You shake your head. “It must be difficult.”

The MC’s action really shouldn’t go on the same line as Leon’s dialog. Should have line breaks, like this:

“Not much luck?”

You shake your head.

“It must be difficult.”

Much easier to read at a glance who says what :smile:

“Not much luck?” You shakes your head. “It must be difficult.”

Same thing here, plus it should be “You shake,” not “You shakes.”

#“So have you been, Cressida?”

I think this is supposed to be “So how have you been?” Cressida responds as if the MC said that, and “have you been” would look like a reference to plotting/scheming, asking if she has indeed been doing that… which would be an interesting (albeit rude) question to ask, but a very different one! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

$!{name} you can’t steal him from me!"

Comma after $!{name}, because it’s a direct address.

Astrid snickers, tracing the cover of the book she was previously levitating. "Right, right.

Missing an end quote.

“…Why are you here $!{name}?”

Comma before $!{name} in this case.

She ignores your later remark.

This is another one that should be “latter.”

And Katia is the sweetest person I know. "

This has a space between the period and quotation mark that shouldn’t be there.

“We’re working on resisting basing psychic magic, and you seem—”

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying here… “resisting basing”… :confused:

And then he doesn’t say anymore on the matter.

This is another one that should be “any more” instead of “anymore.”

“True”

This is missing a period.

“We called for one of the graduates after you passed out. He got rid of the ${monsterroute}. Seraphina was…Well, I wouldn’t recommend talking to her anytime soon.”

“You ready to head back to the dorm? It’s nearly midnight.”

This is the same speaker in both quotes, so there shouldn’t be an end quote on the first paragraph.

Aaaaaand *phew* this took longer than I meant it to. It’s 2:30 in the morning here :sweat_smile: (at least I don’t have to get up at 5 AM :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
I guess it’s a rather lengthy chapter because of all the different possible routes :stuck_out_tongue:

Good night, Keeper people :sleeping:

10 Likes

I chocked on my drink, thanks you.

1 Like

I think that’s supposed to be basic.

1 Like

Far more so then his silly sister at that!
But he may be a lot harder to get to know than his sister and may be deflecting all of our more personal questions about him. Particularly if he’s got secrets so huge they won’t be addressed until a possible sequel. :wink:

At this rate we may have to ask Astrid for any cute and silly Alty stories.

It is also the more useful type of magic, whatever Astrid did to make Leon’s clothes fit my mc it was probably a spell and thus ritual magic.

2 Likes

@AAO I think you’re referring to this poll?

There are still too few votes in the new poll to determine things, but it’s should be notable that Cressida has jumped up a few spots. Poor Kol and Katia though.

Also, I can’t believe it took me until these polls to figure out that Jarrod and Gisela’ve been officially dropped as ROs, but that’s neither here nor there now.

Briseis only hatched 2 years ago though.

2 Likes

If you need a new name for dragonborn you can go with draconian or simply half-dragon. Back when I played d and d we abridged it to half-drac. But in regards to copyright, dragonborn is in the public domain. D and d had the name long before the elder scrolls

1 Like

Briseis hatching just 2 years ago only makes it better

I just included Briseis in the non-romance like poll because I wanted to be able to vote for a cute little dragonfriend :smile::dragon_face:
I had no idea the conversation would take the direction it did :grimacing:

I wonder if they’d notice if you borrowed some of Alty’s clothes :thinking: assuming you’re close in size…

But yeah, that would be an interesting family to meet :grin: especially for someone playing a nephillim, yeah :smiling_imp::heart::innocent:

Well, I wouldn’t be averse to that :innocent:

Not a bad idea, really :grin: I mean, she’s around a lot anyway, so we might as well pump her for information :smiling_imp:

And it also sounds more like something that’s widely available, rather than based on training innate powers, and therefore likely to be more amenable to study :man_student: and magic-science :sunglasses:

Well, Kol is currently tied for most popular male RO in the “vote for as many as you want” poll, and is second place in the “vote for just one” poll. And is the most popular of the guys in the nonromantic poll, and in third place overall (second if you don’t count Briseis).

I’m thinking the current RO polls look like there are more female-oriented voters than male-oriented voters :thinking: since a lot of people only go for one or the other, this is something to bear in mind when comparing.

Katia, though… yeah, what happened here? :frowning:

3 Likes

My mc doesn’t like appearing poor or weak in front of his crushes/ro’s if he can help it at all. In any case Altair himself is the last person he’d ask for a huge favour like that.

I’m assuming Altair, Cyrus and my mc are all super-cute and relatively close in size, even if they’re not we could ask Astrid to teach us the spell she used on Leon’s clothes to make them fit us.
However while Alty’s clothes look good on him, I’m not sure they’d be my mc’s style. Stylewise he has likely got much more in common with Cy. Though whether we can become good enough friends with Cy for him to be willing to lend my mc some clothes in order to look better to Alty’s family is anybody’s guess. :thinking:
Even assuming he was willing my mc might still face the same problem as he would with borrowing directly from Altair himself, both Alty and his family know Cyrus and his family quite well, maybe even well-enough to know when my mc is wearing some of Cyrus’ outfits, which would still make the ruse be all for nothing anyway. :worried: Well except getting to wear some nice (leather) clothes during the summer break. :sunglasses:

Well my mc is not so angelic, but yes that would be the other reason, aside from him being a poor nobody why he would be apprehensive about meeting Alty’s parents. While Altair used to date Cressy, another Nephilim at least Cressy is rich and influential while we’re a dirt-poor nobody in magi society. Maybe we’re even worse than a dirt poor nobody, what his mom has said to my mc about his dad doesn’t sit very well with him. So maybe he’s even the son of a notorious criminal or their closest equivalent to a terrorist. :worried:

Neither, would I, but let’s worry about this game first, eh? :sweat_smile:

All true, now we just have to find somebody who will teach us these practical things. I guess this is where it shows our mc’s grew up outside of magi society as this is the sort of thing many magi children presumably pick up and learn to do by rote before understanding the theory behind it, just so long as it works. While our mc’s are now forced to go about it the formal way (well unless mine can pester Astrid into teaching at least the clothes resizing one) with the result that we will understand the theory perfectly but it may take years before we get to the point where we can do spells like that effortlessly. :worried: :disappointed:

Yup, Cy is also more popular in the free votes poll than even I imagined, while Altair seems to be the acquired taste currently.

Yeah, either the forum’s lesbian community is the “silent majority” or @Lizzy’s votes count for ten or something. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Would that be true even if Altair suggested it himself? :thinking:

Also, side tangent, if Kol were to get clothes that didn’t fit him, would he resize the clothes, or just resize himself? :grin:

Hey, when I said :smiling_imp::heart::innocent:, I never said which one was which :stuck_out_tongue:

I think my MC is interested in getting into spell design and research as a possible career after graduation :thinking: something like the job at Spell Designer Co., which really caught my eye but requires lots of background experience :grinning: but hopefully taking ritual magic now and getting work now as a clerk at a magic shop will help :smile:

(Now, if only I’d put the level of dedication into my own career that I put into my fictional character’s career :sweat_smile:)

It’ll be interesting to run a poll later on, once we start learning more about some of these secrets.

Honestly, I think it’s just that we happen to have some particularly talkative gay guys :innocent:

4 Likes

Well depending on what huge secrets Alty has this :smiling_imp: :heart: :smiling_imp: may be more appropriate then. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ugh, yes, it would my mc’s don’t tend to like charity or pity. I already commented on that when the possibility of shopping with Alty was brought up in that my mc would feel compelled to repay him every last cent, with interest in that case.

He even has trouble with Astrid, but at least there he can reason it as “damages” for injuries suffered without having to take her to court or get insurance companies involved. Though he may still try to repay Astrid some years later when we’ve hopefully got more money.

It’ll be even worse for my eventual secret species mc for who it will also be true even if Cy himself were to suggest it.

Still while they may still not have been up to the task of impressing Altair’s posh family I was kind of said we couldn’t ask our parents to bring us a suitcase of our old clothes. If nothing else it would have made daily life and going to classes better if we didn’t have to keep washing and recycling the same two outfits. :disappointed:

Also the principal director/ceo of the institute already said this: "“I’ll message the head of our guardian program to see if some students can’t be sent to retrieve your belongings from your home” But it seems she never did actually give the order or someone didn’t get the memo somewhere down the line, because after months we still only have the same two “temporary” crappy outfits we got the first day. :disappointed:

That is definitely one of the more interesting career options. My mc really doesn’t know, he’s interested in ritual magic but less so in potions and cooking. He’s also interested in non-magical combat and journalism and the media, maybe even politics. :thinking: So I guess in that regard he’s really the average student who doesn’t (yet) know what to do with himself.

2 Likes