Keeper of the Sun and Moon (WIP)

No one knows what they are

@daydreamsincolor A question, if I may.

In New Magi World, do they have their own entertainment industry (movies, TV shows, books, video games and the likes), or is it basically the same as the real world? I was thinking the latter, but I’m not sure.

And yes, I have thought of the dragonborns playing Skyrim and the kitsunes watching Naruto.

5 Likes

What about magicians reading/watching Harry Potter? Do you think they’d be all like: “Hey! That’s not how magic works. This movie is so unrealistic!”

4 Likes

If my MC was a Magician and watched Harry Potter, he’d probably reference the everliving fuck out of this certain joke to the point where it’s annoying:

3 Likes

I went for the more humany one, because my character’s still wants to wear the kind of things he’s used to…

:rofl: That is not what I meant! I thought maybe you could use illusion to make existing clothes look different than they really are.
Certainly an entertaining idea, though :laughing:

I noticed it’s already in the code as part of a label :grin:

Well, I never said the way Americans talk about foreign countries is entirely accurate :stuck_out_tongue:[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:2429, topic:12894”]
Oops, forgive my faulty memory, that was part of a conversation I had with the author a while back. But hopefully we’ll also see it in-game sometime soon-ish.
[/quote]

Oooh, interesting information to learn :grin:
@daydreamsincolor, any word on what the other resident guys tend to wear? :innocent:

Maybe the New Magi World’s even influenced a few things… a dragonborn might’ve snuck that term in :grin:

I bet the simulator could lead to pretty exciting media too :grin:

Okay, chapter three stuff :smile:

Uh, the biggest bug to mention involves the messages, and I noticed it while playing chapter three, and I was hoping I’d be able to determine what caused it, but I’m afraid I haven’t :disappointed:
Somehow I got into a situation where it said I had -1 new messages, which meant that the messages option no longer appeared on the stats screen.

General Comments (and blushing about Kol)

Leon doesn’t even open his eyes. “If you don’t get the demon spawn to shut up, I’m hexing you to another dimension.”

I got annoyed at Leon here :stuck_out_tongue: I wanted to be like “Why can’t you do it if you care so much? :angry:

“Ah, sleep,” says Kol. “That sounds nice.”

So it does :slight_smile: you have correct priorities.

Kol mumbles something about sleep, before promptly passing out on the couch.

Can I join him? :smirk:

He grins. “Why, need your beauty sleep, Peter?”

:flushed:

#“…I still want a dragon.”

This comment’s pretty amusing considering that you can be a dragon (well, partly) :grin:

So, I notice under the breakfast4 label, there are options to go up to Altair and Cressida if you know at least one of them, but no option if you know neither. Should there be one?

“Sorry about that,” Altair says. “Cressida’s just a bit overwhelmed right now.”

After this, if you haven’t met Cressida, the only available dialog options are rude ones. You probably should allow something more polite.

I noticed that if you’re reading books alone in your room, all of them raise intelligence, whereas if you read them in the library, some of them raise more specific stats (like types of magic) instead. Is there a reason for this?

Thalia calling Kol “lover boy” is cute :blush: I guess 'cause he’s got lots of love for everybody.

“Yeah, sounds good,” you say with a shrug. “What could go wrong?”

Ahhhhh noooo why would I sayyyy that :scream: that never goes well :fearful:

It threw me off a fair amount in the meal conversation that I suddenly seemed to have options to choose what other people were saying. I guess it’s just a way to cycle through the whole conversation? :confused: But when I got there, I was wondering if it meant I was suddenly manifesting some control abilities or something :open_mouth:

I noticed that Leon reacts a bit differently to having a male or female MC riding with him :thinking: does that mean he’s more into women than men?

dragons are definitely fun.

It’s good to know that Kol thinks this :grin: maybe we can have dragon fun together… :dragon::heart::dragon:

The conversation option where Gisela asks about the most powerful motivators was a really interesting topic :thinking:

Look at me, I’m pretty, smart, and talented, all at the same time."

Yep, Kol, this is true :blush:

Bugs Under Arrow

#“So, who do we have to blame for all of this?”

There’s no text under this choice.

Astrid storms into the hallway, and Thalia follows a moment later. Seraphina retreats to her
*if heshe != “she”
and Astrid’s

This wasn’t quite how you set roommates… nonbinary people are randomly assigned Leon or Astrid, so you’d probably be best off checking the roommate variable directly.

I notice you set a fight_plans variable, but never use it :thinking: would it make sense for this to come up when you see Thalia that day, or would it be better just to scrap the variable?

Proofreading (and some style stuff) Under Arrow

"$!{name} it’s far too early for you to question my moralities.

Comma after name

“What’s your suggestion?” You ask Kol.

“You” should be lowercase, because it’s how you’re speaking, not a separate action.

He drums his fingers on the table. "Solanaceae is known for its party scene though,

Though what? :confused: I’m not clear on what that comment is supposed to contrast with :confused:

I applied for some of the international school, too."

I assume this should be “schools.”

There’s a girl dressed in a red cloak leaving the room, a guy with pointed ears in the corner of the room stabbing at orange mush.

Probably should have an “and” between the two people.

He to you, then goes back to talking with one of the other guys while laughing.

He what to me? :open_mouth:

one of the climber’s is about to reach the top

Should be “climbers” without an apostrophe

“Astrid kidnapped me after we got attacked by a gorgon.I surprised everyone by having magical powers and killing it.”

Missing a space between these sentences.

The table visible relaxes

Should be “visibly.”

"I hope everything works out for you $!{name}, seriously.

Comma before name

And you’re at least willing to try it out." He laughs “Well, it should be fun.”

Missing a period after “laughs.”

You recognize the pear shapes things

Should be “shaped.”

“Domestic hound don’t act like that, unless under orders…”

I think you mean “hounds,” right?

The relative lack of noise made by the bike allows for ease of conversation

This is missing a period.

None to soon,

Should be “too”

as the telltale crackles and bangs fills the air.

Should be “fill,” not “fills.”

He snickers. “A very good assessment. Cyrus is misanthropic and you never really know where you stand with Cressida. For all you know, she could hate you just as much as her brother openly admits to.”

“Even you?”

Even you what? :confused: What is that referring to?

they happen because someone worked everyday

This should be “every day” rather than “everyday.” “Everyday” basically means “normal”… if you’re just saying “each day,” “all the days,” those are separate words.

“I’m good kitty cat.”

Comma before “kitty cat,” since it’s a direct address.

a group of guys are lightning themselves on fire.

I assume you mean “lighting.”

“Are they a serious threats?”

I’d think you want either “Are they a serious threat?” or “Are they serious threats?”

“I take it you’re enrolled in a combat class, then?” confirms Jarrod

Missing a period here.

4 Likes

They’re secret :blush:

That’s what Sera does :blush:

Where’s your American pride? We are right about everything.

1 Like

They wouldn’t feel different though, very cheap itchy fabrics would still remain that and most leather-look stuff still wouldn’t breathe either. So no, no clothing illusions for my mc.

I still don’t really know how well off the mc used to be in their previous life, but depending on the answer to that then even the cheap Kerse stuff may have been an “upgrade” even if for now it is just an aesthetic one based on cheap intimation fabrics and fashion.
Otherwise the beginning sucks even more for my poor mc, but hopefully we’ll get the opportunity to really go shopping in the more quirky second-hand stores and/or learn some useful spellcraft to help us out in that department soon. :sweat_smile:

Have you and @ParrotWatcher considered that just like mr. Odo on that old DS9 show Kol’s “clothes” may be part of his shifted form in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, Cy aligns most with my fashion choices for most of my young(er) mc’s too.

Inquiring minds want to know and now that you mention it I’m curious about what Alty really likes to wear. :thinking:
Of course, he’ll look super-awesome in (almost) anything. :yum:

2 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party, but I’m posting my build (9th August 2017) in case I forget it:

STATS
Name: Laura Bertinelli
Species: Kitsune
Appearance: You have tan skin and black eyes. Your hair is short and black.
Health: Some minor injuries
Money: $1470
Job: Intern for Nephilim Secretary

SKILLS
Cunning: 30
Fighting: 14
Elemental Manipulation: 14
Illusion Manipulation: 5
Intelligence: 10
Ritual Magic and Potions: 1
Telekinesis: 6
Willpower: 6

PERSONALITY
Kind: 50% Cruel: 50%
Naive: 35% Cynical: 65%
Logical: 65% Emotional: 35%
Lawful: 55% Chaotic: 45%

RELATIONSHIPS
Astrid: 67%
Altair: 51%
Cressida: 56%
Cyrus: 58%
Gisela: 48%
Jarrod: 50%
Kol: 65%
Thalia: 62%
Leon: 63%
Seraphina: 64%
Yakov: 63%

Nephilim Approval: 21%
Nymph Approval: 15%
NMC Resident Approval: 10%
NMC Student Approval: 10%

SEMESTER 1 TRANSCRIPT

Elemental Manipulation, (AFIN-112), Prof. Petrova
Grade: 90

Magic Theory, (MGTR-101), Prof. Kerr
Grade: 100

Monsters and Rogues, (NATR-111), Prof. Ebner

Battle Magic, (BAMA-101), Prof. Delona

Telekinesis, (GMGU-101), Prof. Li

Combat, (NMCO-101), Prof. Darzi

1 Like

This made me laugh harder than it should have

1 Like

@AAO
There is a magi entertainment industry, although there’s also access to human entertainment.

@TSSL
As I have very little knowledge regarding men’s fashion, I don’t have much of an idea, but in general

• Leon: preppy clothes
  • Kol: T-shirt and jeans
  • Yakov: neutral colors

All issues/typos fixed for next update

• Message issue fixed (I forgot to change the save status of the third message)
  • All MCs have met Altair by now (in Chapter 2), so there’s no need to have a neither option.
  • Added more nice Cressida options :grin:
  • Got rid of the option to read alone in room instead of the library, as the former was clearly the worse option with fewer stat changes
  • Leon will date any gender MC, I just thought it made more sense for him to respond differently to a female MC versus a male MC characterwise in that instance.

Thank you again for your amazing proofreading skills! :smile:

15 Likes

Wooo
What chapter was that in again?? :sweat_smile:

@daydreamsincolor
I’ve just noticed that the items tab doesn’t open/is empty, even if you’ve bought an item at the fair (in my case the energy shield). :confused:
Is this a bug, or is the items tab intended for something else?

1 Like

Ahh so they are a British species
They make gadgets for spy’s a very rare breed

good, I have a bad sense of direction too :joy: I thought that choice helps the relationship with Kol after he found PC being lost after the party in Solanaceae. Also that place reminds me of potato :laughing:

So… is anyone doing a Non-hunter human playthrough?

1 Like

Well then we must strive to educate you, won’t we? Also you didn’t mention Alty there. :cry:

Anyway since Astrid is blonde and doesn’t really seem to miss a thousand bucks, my mental image of her cute bro is something like this fashion blogger, definitely an upscale style as well with a bit of added quirkiness but less so than Cyrus and definitely less “badboy” then Cy or my mc.

Yeah, that may be what he makes it look like, still not convinced they aren’t just part of his shifted form. :lying_face:

6 Likes

I just found this game, and I absolutely love it so far and I am looking forward to more!

1 Like

Ooh, I should post my stats too.

Name: Peter Peters (I was being a little silly :grin:)
Species: :dragon:
Appearance: You have light skin and grey eyes. Your hair is short and brown.
Health: A little scratched up
Money: $420
Job: Clerk at Lex’s Hexes

SKILLS
Cunning: 2
Fighting: 4
Elemental Manipulation: 7
Intelligence: 33
Ritual Magic: 10
Telekinesis: 3
Willpower: 2

PERSONALITY
Kind: 56% Cruel: 44%

Naive: 54% Cynical: 46%

Logical: 59% Emotional: 41%

Lawful: 66%

Huh, I’m sure I was a lot more naïve for most of the time I was playing :thinking: I guess that changed towards the end.
It did feel like there’ve been fewer options for raising “kind” than some of the other stats. :thinking: Or maybe it depends what it’s tracking… I’ve been pretty unfailingly polite, but in the danger situations I’ve been doing a lot of running and screaming :scream:
Running and screaming is fun :smiley:

Astrid: 59%

Altair: 56%

Cressida: 50%

Jarrod: 45%

Kol: 82%

Thalia: 54%

Leon: 57%

Seraphina: 63%

Yakov: 59%

Okay, no big surprises there :stuck_out_tongue: I’d definitely pictured Leon as preppy.
Y’know, with Kol, even wearing T-shirts can still have room for characterization, considering they might have pictures and/or words on them :thinking: like a dragon or dog, since he likes those forms, or something saying “naptime” or just a shirt with a heart on it for “lover boy” :blush:

Huh, I suppose this is true :thinking: In that case, you have several metaltair checks in chapter3 that you don’t need :stuck_out_tongue:

In that case, the option “Explore the school, maybe meet some new people” doesn’t make it too obvious that it’ll be the prime choice for bookish loner types, so maybe you could replace the read lone choice with a choice that leads directly to the library, without going through the social stuff? :thinking:[quote=“daydreamsincolor, post:2441, topic:12894”]
Leon will date any gender MC, I just thought it made more sense for him to respond differently to a female MC versus a male MC characterwise in that instance.
[/quote]

Oh, I get that, I was just wondering if he might lean one way more than the other. Some bisexual people are more often interested in a specific gender, even if they’re open to another one :thinking:
I was a bit curious in general if any of the characters have a preference, really :thinking:[quote=“daydreamsincolor, post:2441, topic:12894”]
Thank you again for your amazing proofreading skills! :smile:
[/quote]

It’s my specialty, thanks :grin:

Chapter three :slight_smile:

The code says it still needs to be added :slight_smile:

I probably will :smiley: I want to make a character who’s absolutely in love with the magic world, but is totally human himself.

I noticed a comment that @daydreamsincolor mentioned possibly adding an Altair route during the shopping chapter? :thinking: That might provide his commentary on the same stores that Astrid commented on.
I’d be curious whether he’d be into something more colorful or more somber :thinking:
For that matter, whether he’s going more human-look, or something more magic-world look. Because if a character goes for magic world fashions, you can just make stuff up ;P[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:2447, topic:12894”]
Yeah, that may be what he makes it look like, still not convinced they aren’t just part of his shifted form. :lying_face:
[/quote]

Maybe he could mess with people by changing what he’s “wearing” while they’re not looking :grin: or even changing subtle stuff like his eye color. Subtly disconcerting :smiley:

6 Likes

That would be nice but also a bit more complicated for my mc, for one I wonder whether he’s going to be as generous on the monetary advance as his sister and even if he is then my mc, unlike with Astrid, would feel compelled to pay him back every single cent because of the character trait most of my mc’s share of not wanting to look any weaker or poorer then absolutely necessary in front of their (potential) lovers. That would unfortunately leave him without any money for a lot longer.

If they do, I hope both Alty and Cy and Kol too for you and @ParrotWatcher prefer guys or are at least truly equal opportunity bi.

I hope that just like that blogger I linked to he’s into a nice array of diverse yet understated colours, in contrast to his sister’s colour explosions that hurt my poor mc’s eyes. :fearful:

Yup. :smiling_imp:

True, but even then it tends to be based on clothing we know. Please no hideous Harry Potter Robes.
But your point stands, I guess if we’re going fantasy then my Nephilim mc might want to go for stuff like this for more formal occasions (provided he can scrape the money together or learn how to assemble his own outfits with magic):

For daily wear my mc would prefer something like this (again assuming he could afford it somehow):

5 Likes

(The forum told me to consider responding to someone other than @idonotlikeusernames :sweat_smile:)

Maybe you could pay him back with magic tutoring :grinning:

Well, I did sorta get gay-leaning vibes from Kol :stuck_out_tongue: but I tend to get my gaydar mixed up with wishful thinking a lot :innocent:

(It may be significant that he’s rooming with a woman rather than another guy, though :thinking:)

Okay, I’ve read through chapter four… and realized I missed a few little proofreads from chapter three :sweat_smile:

End of Chapter Three Proofreads

“What are we doing here?” Seraphina asks suddenly, stopping suddenly and causing Astrid to run into her.

I’d suggest that you don’t really need two "suddenly"s right next to each other. True, they go with different verbs, but it does look a bit redundant.

“Come on, Blondie, what is this, some chic flick?”

I assume you mean “chick.” “Chic” is pronounced “sheek” (it’s French) and means stylish.

“only a joke dear $!{name}.”

Comma before name. (Also, Kol called me “dear” :blush:)

Chapter Four Stuff

#“Well, if you don’t have any plans, we could do something together…?”

For this dialog option with Kol, I could possibly see someone choosing it thinking that it’d be a friendly thing rather than asking him out :thinking:

The problem with this plan, however, is that you don’t have any friends.

This line is funny :laughing:

“Of course not,” you lie. “I was instructed not to.”

So this is when meeting Dawson and he says you can now contact your parents… this comes up if you did try contacting them, but are intelligent. The actual choice doesn’t say anything about lying, though, so I’d rather not have my character lie without me choosing for him to do so. Maybe you could make it so that intelligence >= 5 gives you an option to lie about it, but there’s still an option not to? :thinking:

So, the whole thing about prejudice against dragonborn is a big deal, but I didn’t know anything about it until I read the code. It looks like everybody except Thalia and Kol talk about it. This does explain why Kol and Thalia hesitated so long when I revealed that, and Kol says “could be worse” :thinking:
Anyway, probably would be good to find about that some way.

It was really interesting characterization to see how the different characters react to that, though! Especially the Cressida and Cyrus thing… yeah, there’s just a lot that goes into that. Katia’s naïve reaction is pretty entertaining, too :grin:

I’m a little confused about Katia’s psychic ability, but maybe I’m not supposed to understand yet anyway :stuck_out_tongue: mostly, I wasn’t sure how clairvoyance meant that she’d be able to figure out that the main character’s learned their species/gotten the opportunity to be a magician.

Also, I’m really starting to enjoy Katia and Gisela in their chapter four scene. (I didn’t even notice them in my own playthrough :sweat_smile:) They have fun personalities, and stand out quite well.
(Though, I mean, that’s honestly quite true of everyone here. I’m even starting to like Leon better now that I’m seeing more of him through the code. I just want to :hugs: everybody.)

(Come to think of it, the fact that I want to :hugs: everybody may be why I’m so drawn to “Lover Boy” :couple_with_heart_man_man: )

*if species = “human”
“I’m a human.”

In the Katia/Gisela conversation. I think the dialogue would be more natural if you say that you chose not to become a magician instead. Since this is right after she said she saw you had the opportunity.

If you pay Astrid part of the money, and say you’ll owe her more later, should you have a variable to track this? :thinking: So it’ll be able to come up again the next month? (Unless something’s happening between those months :fearful:)

Seraphina scoffs. “Attempted murder is quite different from doing an in class exercise as directed. Just do it.”

So, I could see someone with a high intelligence being able to foresee how this is going to go with a telepath :thinking: in case you’d like that as an option. I’d figure it could end up with exactly the same text as the “she asked for it” option anyway, so that’d save on extra work :stuck_out_tongue:

A guy on the other side of the room offers up an answer. “Not setting yourself on fire?”

“Sorry,” says Forett, “that’s rule eighty-four.”

This also made me laugh :laughing:

[details=Proofreading for Chapter Four]

“I’m Professor Kerr, and I’ll be your professor for first semester Magic Theory.”

“Anyway, we’ll be starting with the Ten Laws of Magical Energy, then moving into dark and light magic studies, and then into more complicated areas.”

“So,” he says with a grin, “does anyone have a guess as to what the First Law of Magical Energy is?”

Here’s a spot where you don’t need end quotes at the ends of the first two lines, since it’s the same speaker for all three of them.

“Your advisor asked me to remind you that you have a meeting during your lunch hour.”

Same thing here.

the basics of North American magi cultural,

Do you mean “culture”? Or is there a word missing?

#“I’m not really ready for something like that Astrid.”

Comma before “Astrid.” (Otherwise you’re saying that you’re not ready for something like Astrid :stuck_out_tongue: which might also be true, but isn’t quite what you mean ;P)

We’ll be having a career fair on the first of October that should help you find internships."

This is another of the end quote things.

“I showed up late for Petrova class and she gave me hell for it.”

Should this be “Petrova’s class”? Or should it just be “showed up late for Petrova and she gave me hell for it,” like the other version of the text already says?

#“I’ll stay out of this one thanks.”

Comma before thanks

“…Wasn’t that like $1,000 though?”

Comma before though

We’ll be covering all areas of ritual magic in this class generally, form sigils to blood magic.

Do you mean “from sigils to blood magic,” or is there a kind of sigil called a “form sigil”?

Luckily, you don’ have to move anywhere, as you’re already next to Leon.

don’t

"Good work $!{name}.

comma before name

But there is something else that you don’t understand—How are you a dragonborn?"

There’s a quotation mark at the end here, but there was never an opening quotation mark, so you could either get rid of that or add one before “how.”[/details]

8 Likes