Keeper of Day and Night (Update Post 1932)

Davina is seen as the victim?!?! What does that make the MC and his or her friends?

Victims, but on much smaller scale (almost into territory of collateral damage) because public doesn’t know that they were the ones who stopped Reyna.

So they call nearly dying collateral damage?

The kidnap and murder attempt on the mc and Kol seems to be pretty well known though, at least to the medical staff in the first game:

#“…She tried to kill me.”
*set sanity %-5
Don’t you get any justice? A girl helped Reyna, tried to kill you, but she’s the victim in all of this? She’s the one you’re meant to be crying over?
The doctor doesn’t seem to know what to say to that. “Yes…In any case, $!{mrmiss} ${surname}, you should be resting.”

That doctor does seems like an asshole too. The mc certainly doesn’t seem to merit that lofty standard of care, but then we’re not wealthy, and like I said should we ever incur magic overuse syndrome as a part of mandatory “keeper” celestial magic use I’m sure the mc will get something more akin to prison rehab as in being put in an adult diaper and chained to a bed for a couple of weeks while you get to go “cold turkey”. No swanky rehab for the mc, unless it is more charity from our friends. :unamused:

1 Like

Yeah but in this one it’s said that we are supposed to lie to media about our injuries and seeing as how Leon’s story is the one mostly talked about, Kol probably isn’t even mentioned anywhere on news and is just an unnamed student sustaining grave injuries at best.

Lol.
Yeah unless, MC goes for that keeper gig and becomes a national magi celebrity, then they’ll probably get best Health Care America can provide.

Seems like my mc really needs to see if either of the foreign agencies presently employing the other two keepers will take him on. As those foreign keepers seem to actually merit a certain level of organizational and institutional support, likely including the actual keeper training, since being told we somehow have to keep the entire friggin world at “balance” without any short of support or training is outright bonkers! As well as a decent pay-grade and an actual health plan.
As he really has fuck all interest in becoming a magical “Kardashian” expy fake and vapid “media personality”, particularly not when you can bet that as an “exciting plot twist” for season 20 he’ll be contractually obligated to undergo a sex change or somesuch nonsense. :angry:

For the final battle in chapter 13, yeah, likely on account of Sera stealing the artifacts. But the incident with Davina kidnapping the mc happened before that in chapter 12. She also violated our privacy when she stole our supposedly confidential files, which can be construed to be (attempted) identity theft.

1 Like

You get the barbaric ending if your sanity is <50. I do find it easier to get that ending if I’m playing a more emotional character though, since some of the emotional choices feel very similar to the sanity-decreasing choices.

1 Like

Oh I forgot about that, still we can’t really sue her or anything except ask for a settlement probably, because she was being compelled by Reyna.

Yikes.
What about becoming America’s very own hero :smile: or with a good enough intelligence stat maybe even use the influence of keeper (and your friends) and start a company like Lys and become his competitor .

1 Like

He has no interest in running around in tights and a cape and pretending to be a pretend “superhero” for the media either. He doesn’t have the personality to like such nonsense.

Too much work and too much honor just to take that deadbeat down a peg. My mc wants nothing to do with his dad, taking this route will ensure he’ll be a constant, annoying presence in his life for a long while. Plus with all the danger that seems to come with being a keeper you have to wonder if we’d really have the opportunity to build a viable business. Which insurance company would want to do business with our startup, for example, knowing its founder and president is a literal magnet for trouble and they can expect frequent claims for damages and injuries. And without liability insurance, it would be practically impossible to operate a corporation. Not to mention what repeated terrorist attacks would do to the company’s ability to consistently and reliably meet any and all obligations it seeks to undertake.

Those two things would also mean it would not be “his” company, if Altair, Cyrus and Sera own all the shares between them due to providing all of the initial capital he’d be nothing more than their glorified employee and in fact still living on their charity.

You seem to confuse with can’t really sue her with being perhaps unlikely to ultimately win or more likely the mc being unable afford a good attorney willing to take on the Conti’s on our behalf.
First of all civil suits don’t have to be greatly impacted by criminal court findings of guilt, innocence or degrees of culpability in-between. Again look to OJ for a US example here.
Second, the evidentiary burden is often reduced in civil law, from the well known “beyond any reasonable doubt” standard of criminal law to a mere preponderance of evidence . Meaning Davina’s dad being a big shot in the supernatural justice department now is less likely to have a meaningful impact here unless judicial independence is greatly reduced or nonexistent in the magical world.
Finally, I think her theft of the mc’s confidential files as a conditio sine qua non can probably be reasonably be placed before any ongoing compulsion by Reyna in a civil suit as this set it all in motion and can be pinned on Davina. We only need to prove that this theory can be at least 51% likely for a civil suit to theoretically succeed in most US courts. It does not need to be beyond a reasonable doubt to incur civil liability, “beyond reasonable doubt” I agree is a burden we likely cannot overcome. Fortunately in a civil suit we might not have to.

1 Like

Oh you can get all that stuff away by being an extraordinary magi and then the low-mid tier goons won’t bother you and the actual villain guys would take long time in planning their elaborate schemes, and you can take care of the company quite easily even though you’d have a hard time finding the insurance company, someone has to be a keeper fanboy who’d be willing to help you out right?

you’re awfully cynical, Sera wouldn’t invest in you if she wasn’t believing in your capabilities and Cressy wouldn’t let Cyrus invest in you if she wasn’t certain you’d be successful, and Altair is well just very kind but it won’t be charity since you’re romancing him it’d be a token of love!

Besides you’d not be a glorified employee but the one in charge, with high intelligence stat you’re already smarter than Sera and Cyrus could care less about bureaucracy, and Altair would just help you whenever he can.

And they’re shareholders and you’d be the founder/ceo, you just have to make em money and they won’t bother you.

1 Like

It’ll probably take my mc until middle-age to be caught up enough to be that. Particularly if we include our completely nonexistent keeper training thus far.

Without liability insurance all Lysander would need to put us out of business is a single one of those civil suits, which would, unfortunately, be rather easy.

Eh, if we don’t own a single share of the company ourselves it wouldn’t actually matter if we ran the day to day operations or even if we had a free hand in its strategies, we’d still be nothing more than a mere employee.

Without holding a controlling stake ourselves we’d also be at the mercy of our friends for our career hence enforcing both our charity case and employee status and assuring we’ll never quite become independently wealthy no matter how successful the company becomes.

That’s practically the definition of charity and my mc already hates being a charity case enough as it is. It would also never let him be rid of Tiras’ implied accusations my mc is nothing but an opportunistic gold digger.

The very definition of an employee, particularly since we’d be likely to make a mere pittance in comparison while doing all of the actual work.
Besides, you know Altair and Sera would actually want to be involved more than that as they are already practically working for Lysander as it stands now.

It is a moot point anyway as founding such a company would draw my mc deeper into his “dad’s” world when he wants to have nothing to do with the guy.

Oof, fair enough, seems like your mc is not settling well into the magi world :worried:

Not after that keeper reveal no. It was already difficult enough for him to come to terms with being a “normal” nephilim what with the monthly monster attacks.
Being told he is a “keeper” thing and now has to be responsible for being a peacekeeper for America and the whole friggin’ world with (next to) no financial, institutional or organizational support because American keepers are expected to be born independently wealthy, know all the ins and outs of magi politics and seamlessly fit into its high society while being trained to elite standards on their family’s dime and effort is not helping one tiny little bit.
Oh and that the type of magic they need to use is highly dangerous and addictive and without a wealthy family there is gonna be no health plan or decent rehab either is just going to be the icing on that shitcake. :unamused:

1 Like

Wouldn’t we get trained by the nymphs either way?

That’s why we’re getting trained by the nymphs…

Yeah, that makes sense. Because that was the only time I could raise my emotional stats higher than my logical stats, and that was the only time I got that ending. Seems like they’re connected.

Yeah, when you think about it… Is she truly guilty? I mean, she was controlled. She had no choice…

Okayyyy, so you don’t want to play the keeper route or exploit your fame as a keeper to make a profit yet you complain about the lack of financial stability as a keeper while not wanting or trying to exploit it?

We all know that MC isn’t the richest person in town but maybe we should ask the author to implement part-time jobs.

I don’t think the author plans on adding that to the story. But maybe a MC with high cruel/chaotic stats could seek out revenge on Davina.

What if you get a large fanbase by raising the fame stat and you can sort of open a donation or something? Would MC’s fangirls/fanboys be loyal enough to give their money to MC? I mean, real life fans have been spending money for stupid things… Remember when everyone donated to Kylie Jenner to make her the world’s youngest billionaire…

That’s a good point. Stats can be very useful.

3 Likes

In highly dangerous and addictive magic with zero pay. The other keepers are implied to at least be getting paid with a health plan.

When did the compulsion start, I’d guess after she had gotten our confidential data to Reyna, which made Reyna set her whole plan in motion. Meaning it might be possible to argue that it is more than 51% probable Davina’s theft of our files was the conditio sine qua non that set the whole thing in motion without which none of the subsequent events would have happened (and the mc would just have remained an ordinary magi and never been “outed” as a keeper). And that would be enough to establish civil liability in most of the US. That she got herself into a predicament because of it too that she became compelled later on herself is immaterial to establishing civil, not criminal liability.
Besides which my mc doesn’t for a second believe she’s as innocent as she claims to be that “compulsion” seems to be a rather convenient excuse to have her influential daddy get her out from under having to face the consequences of her actions by letting her play the poor “innocent” victim. :unamused:

My mc didn’t want to be a keeper in the first place, but if he must be they could at least pay him for it, like seems to be the case with the two other keepers. He doesn’t want to have to become a corporate sellout media personality, which would work poorly anyway because he isn’t very mainstream in his fashion choices and he isn’t straight. Not the family-friendly image most corporate sponsors would want anyway.

I have always felt Davina was the worst of that lot. Reyna has at least a flimsy excuse. Poor Jaime mutters something about “sins of the father” but Davina seems to actually take delight in it all.
So, yes, my mc doesn’t believe for a second Davina is “innocent”.

Great, cyber begging. :nauseated_face: Besides becoming the magical equivalent of the Kardashians is the absolute last thing my mc wants to be. :angry:

Summary

YARN | Cyber-begging. That's all that is. | Breaking Bad (2008) - S02E12 Drama | Video clips by quotes | 74dc6e94 | 紗

“Cyber begging that’s all that is. Just rattling a little virtual tin cup to the world.”
It’s also bad enough when the people who can’t afford their own insulin are forced to resort to it. It’s absolutely sleazy and reprehensible when people such as miss Jenner do it.

Which we must do in addition to our regular studies and keeper training. That’s an even more overloaded schedule than in the first game. With that many demands on our time it isn’t going to be healthy for our mc’s. The biggest drawback remains that no part-time job is ever going to fund just the wardrobe for being able to mingle with magi high society.

In that example, I fail to see how great stats would make you anything more than just an employee. Yeah, you’d be the day to day manager, but since we’d not have a controlling or even any stake at all in our own company we’d hardly become magical Gates or Zuckerberg and it wouldn’t be “our” company even if we were the driving force behind it. We’d just be an empoyee with a salary who’d nevertheless make far, far less than the shareholders.

@idonotlikeusernames
Thank you for the legal knowledge! I’m mostly just looking things up as they become relevant :sweat_smile:

Sure

@lokidemon007
Public knowledge doesn’t encompass the full story. From Chapter 1:
“Miss Moreno stands accused of several high crimes against supernatural America and New Magi City in particular, including, but not limited to, theft of three celestial artifacts, destruction of priceless works on Nymph Isle, multiple counts of illegal control magic use, the kidnapping of an undisclosed New World Magi Academy student, and two counts of first-degree murder.” (Looking back on that, there are several more crimes to add to that list that the public would know about :thinking:)

The public largely doesn’t know about the suitemates’ involvement with Reyna, while it is known that Davina and Jaime were working for her due to compulsion. Although some medical staff at the hospital know about MC’s kidnapping, their name hasn’t been publicly released to protect their privacy.

But in light of your and others’ questions I’m probably going to add another news article to the stat screen keeping track of what the public knows about Reyna, which will hopefully clear things up a bit.

That’s very similar to a conversation Brant and Lysander had about another Delacroix :joy:

But just re: Astrid/Altair/Cyrus/Cressy/Leon helping MC out with funds: they’re still beholden to their parents being willing to do so at the moment.

MC is paid a salary for being a keeper. As they’re still a student and not working for the government full-time, though, it’s less than it would be otherwise.

4 Likes

I mean, it has only been revealed that MC is a keeper. It’s all so new. MC is probably going to get the benefits of a keeper, but right now? It’s too soon.

Good question. They stated in the game that she had been under Reyna’s control for a long time but I dont think they gave an exact amount of time.

Fortunately for you, a lot of the younger generation support lgbt celebrities. Take James Charles or Jeffree Star for example.

I don’t think you need to be family-friendly to get sponsorships. Well, it depends on what kind of sponsorship and what demographic they aim for.

Seriously? I still haven’t forgiven Reyna for hurting Kol

You wanted money, now go get it

Besides, in your own words — MC’s financial situation is bad. So the MC actually has a valid excuse.

I mean, the author said that the sequel would be more angsty. So are we surprised?

3 Likes

I didn’t say that Reyna wasn’t bad or that the flimsy excuse she had justified her behaviour. It’s just from what I can see Davina might be the actual sadist taking pleasure in it all and she didn’t seem to have any excuse at all, no matter how flimsy. Which makes her being the one to be able to just walk away from it all absolutely galling. Kol is injured, Jaime was murdered, Reyna too is dead now and the mc gets stuck with the whole keeper thing. But little miss “innocent” gets to just walk away from it all. :angry:

Never heard of those people. Edit, looked them up my mc is not that effeminate (all the more power to those gents that they both dare to and can be accepted for it openly, but it wouldn’t be something my mc would be interested in. He’s not a male “covergirl”.), nor willing to pretend so. He likes men’s clothes and fashion, not women’s.

Yeah, it’s bad in that they want him to attend high society events while looking like a total bum in comparison to everybody else there. Unless he borrows from Leon, which isn’t quite his style. It’s not "help I’m dying because I cannot afford insulin" levels of bad…yet. I mean it might become so when actually faced with a spell of prison rehab due to the junkie addict magic they’re going to force him to use going out of control, but we’re not there…yet. :worried:

Not that way, but perhaps it is rather telling that cyber begging apparently made miss Jenner a billionaire while failing to save the kids dying from lack of insulin. :unamused:
My mc still doesn’t want to be famous for just being a keeper though and he certainly doesn’t want cyber-begging himself to billionaire status to become a thing. As far as he’s concerned miss Jenner should be ashamed, not proud of that fact.

And let me guess, not enough to be able to afford to look good among the high society during the solstices they’re forcing us to attend in any case, right? :unamused:

If that’s true shows how much the world has moved on in 15 years. In my day wanting to become a celebrity meant that “family-friendly” which included being straight or at least straight acting was the magic phrase.
I think all of the gay members of those boybands that were popular during my youth certainly weren’t out and open about it and had to come out only after their career had moved on to middle-aged solo status or was simply over. Some even had to pretend to date women just because the record label said so, apparently. :unamused:

Right, and both Tiras and Secretary Monroe don’t seem to like my mc very much, so that would be doubtful anyway.

Now, they’re suddenly “concerned” about the mc’s privacy? They’re going to be destroying the last vestiges of whatever privacy the mc had with their “keeper” announcement anyway.

It’s probably more like they don’t want public to know teenagers were involved in this crap show while the authorities weren’t aware of what was going on for the most part, it’s to save their asses rather than protecting our privacy lol

I know that, as does my mc. I mean the whole keeper announcement thing and forcing him into being one makes it abundantly clear how much they “value” his privacy. It seriously pisses him off though. :angry: