Handing over money is not itself a crime *, in this situation the robber is the only one breaking the law. The mc’s situation is legal duress, they broke the law (knowingly or not) under imminent threat. In our situation the mc actually committed a crime themselves (which is required for legal duress, as opposed to what most people view as duress). It is up to the jurisdiction how duress is handled as a defence, we seem to allow more leeway with it than the Americans for example, which is bad for the mc. Duress can be bitch as a defence, it is often hard to prove (our mc for example would have only one witness to establish the presence of duress, which might not hold up to begin with) and in many jurisdictions it is not allowed for all crimes. Murder is most often excluded, but manslaughter is also tricky and that is what his crime possibly made the mc an accessory to multiple counts of manslaughter counting all the people the demon may have killed.
Still there is always prosecutorial and judicial discretion and if those fail a pardon, so it is indeed highly unlikely the mc would face criminal troubles for their actions, but then my mc would dread a civil suit much more and those are not so easily held at bay.
Civil suits have even less of a burden of proof to overcome and allow culpability to be split much more. Even if they ruled that Reyna and co are 90% responsible for the damages caused by the demon rampage in a civil suit the remaining 10% is probably still enough to bankrupt my mc for life.
All this to say that it seems to me the mc’s legal situation, at least on the civil front, looks rather grim if the truth ever came out.
On top of an already overloaded schedule, which doesn’t do wonders for learning either.
Yeah, but then we’ll never learn basic and utility magic before the midlife crisis as we simply cannot risk sparing the power to practice anything other than combat or healing magic.
And it still sucks big time that the mc cannot use minor magic, such as the clothes-resizing thing or the cat-ears prank.
He does but them broadcasting it to the world basically makes it impossible to avoid the whole Keeper nonsense. If my mc had his way they never would have made the announcement and my mc would complete his studies as a normal student for his chosen subject. In-universe my mc is likely to have tried everything he could think up to stop or significantly delay the announcement, including begging all his friends, pleading with the Secretaries, etc, etc. All ultimately to no avail whatsoever.
Also simply being a keeper makes all our magic dangerous and much more likely to cause MOS if used frequently, so even if my mc avoids the specific keeper powers he’s still much more likely than the average magi to get MOS from simply using “normal” powers such as elemental manipulation and telekinesis and maybe even more minor magic.
Some treatment maybe, but nice rehab (of the kind Brant and most our friends in the magical world would use) is very, very expensive.Particularly in the US where medical costs are already ludicrous for normal treatment, but even here the state would only pay for basic rehab, which is exactly what is says on the tin, very basic and it may not be sufficient for people with complex problems. Which means they need to come up with additional funds to afford better and while that still wouldn’t be as expensive as it would be in the US it’s still not exactly cheap either. But the mc as an American will be absolutely price-gouged.
Yeah, we know that our mc’s don’t. Plus I don’t tend to play that way, otherwise my mc wouldn’t have tried the monarda in his test (which he failed at because he lacked the fighting skill required to shove it down the simulated monster’s throat but would have used ice magic, which would have yielded a much better result).