Justifying Text?

Hello World!

Does anybody know of a way to justify the text in CS games? I know I can do that by altering the CSS files, but I know I shouldn’t really mess around with those.

I suppose there are completely justifiable reasons for CS to display the way it does (readability is one of the major points, no?), and perhaps it’s just my my purely academic background, but I’d like my #main text to be justified.

Is there some command I’m not aware of? Will Hosted Games approve of custom CSS files? Is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything really 42?

Any insight would be appreciated.

1 Like

To be frank, no. No command for that. Yet.
And I think we should speak our voice so the world can hear it :wink:

@dfabulich Please?
*insert puppy eyes

Yes

3 Likes

I agree with @szaal there is no command right now that can justify the text in CS.

No it isn’t.

2 Likes

Butterick’s Practical Typography states that “In jus­ti­fied text, hy­phen­ation is mandatory.” It’s important because long unhyphenated words can result in short lines mid-paragraph that appear stretched.

Hyphenation opens up a big can of worms. How would authors signify where to insert hyphens in long proper names? How would authors disable hyphens in words that shouldn’t be hyphenated? Chrome doesn’t support the CSS hyphens: auto attribute on Windows or Linux, so hyphens wouldn’t work there.

In my experience, full justification with automatic hyphenation is hard to read for non-native speakers, as they have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to glue hyphenated words back together and figure out what they should mean.

I’m willing to consider it when Chrome supports automatic hyphenization on Windows, but until then, I think it’s a bad idea.

One closing thought from Butterick’s:

Jus­ti­fi­ca­tion is a mat­ter of per­sonal pref­er­ence. It is not a sig­ni­fier of pro­fes­sional ty­pog­ra­phy. True, most (but not all) books jus­tify the text. But most ma­jor U.S. news­pa­pers use a mix of jus­ti­fied and left-aligned text. Same with magazines.

Keep in mind that the jus­ti­fi­ca­tion en­gine of a word proces­sor or web browser is rudi­men­tary com­pared to that of a pro­fes­sional page-lay­out pro­gram. So if I’m mak­ing a word-proces­sor doc­u­ment or web page, I’ll al­ways left-align the text, be­cause jus­ti­fi­ca­tion can look clunky and coarse. Whereas if I’m us­ing a pro­fes­sional lay­out pro­gram, I might justify.

But the choice is yours.

7 Likes

Ah, I see.
Yea, I think it’s just a matter of style when it comes to text alignment. It’s just that I’m used to justify text when I’m creating a paper report or something :sweat_smile: