Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Wow over a million words?! I’m so excited to play this when it comes out!!! :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, swag. Still pretty juiced to play either way, but I just pulled an all nighter, so I wasn’t exactly feeling like scrolling comments for any amount of time, so I figured a direct TL;DR kinda question was apt.

2 Likes

More directly, though I thoroughly enjoyed Tally Ho, for some odd reason, I’m more psyched for this in-universe trilogy of yours. I think I’m going to revisit TH just in anticipation!

1 Like

I found a pretty interesting resource that talks a bit about names during the reign of King Edward VII in the 00s and 10s. I decided to channel my excitment for the game into building a good, correct-period name for my MC, something I really like doing in series. If you’re anything like me, I think this looks handy:

I think it might be directed at mothers, but it scratches the itch either way. Now I’m leaning a bit to “Magnus Brynmor Beckett” for the male MC and “Charlotte Celia Whitley” for the female.

15 Likes

Those are excellent names. I should tell you that “Magnus” is Col. Firesnuff’s first name. I am sure he would be honored.

Draft finished today, and beginning the debugging tomorrow. It’s about 1,111,111 words long.

28 Likes

My MC will be named Alfred Fredrick Fairfax. A country gentleman from the provincial southwest of the realm.

2 Likes

@Havenstone has his target to beat now. :wink:

4 Likes

Well, don’t get too excited, because I don’t use implicit flow control, so 878,476 of those words are “goto.” :wink:

12 Likes

Oh… so that’s our servant :face_with_monocle: you know, on hi sight I should have known it was our servant because the skill was merit and who else in the cast is brimming with merit but our servant :grin: but, who’s mum are we talking about the character’s mum, your mum ? The possibilities are endless :flushed: and I wonder what would happen if our character sees our servant trying to solve the side quest of helping us not screw up and what would happen to the servant if we caught them doing something secretive like, solving the trial for the inner circle? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I hear 2,222,222 is more auspicious!

6 Likes

Well, 2,222,222 will be game 2.

9 Likes

7,777,777 is heavenly … just avoid 6,666,666 … which I hear is a road paved with good intentions and bad decisions :angel:

13 Likes

Just the idea of write a story of 6,666,666 makes me dizzy. The variable tracking should be a nightmare.

5 Likes

1.1M is the perfect balance between an awesome play through for the player and the author getting a return on investment for creativity, cleverness, and hard work writing the game.

4 Likes

I wish I knew when this would come out, I’m not going to lie I’m antsy to see. The writing in Tally Ho! Is just so good and rich. Best fortune and wishes to your writing.

4 Likes

Current status is that the game is written, and I have two main things to do. I noticed a slight issue where it was possible to give yourself a too-short chapter five if you make a particular choice, so I want to fix that, which I will do tomorrow.

Then I have to check to make sure that nothing is crazy difficult to get to, skill-test-wise, and then it will enter the queue to be reviewed fully and then copyedited. I would guess it’s quite a few months in the future!

19 Likes

I am dying to read it and do mischief and thievery in your new game!

9 Likes

I am dying to read it and meet the cute boys. :grin:

8 Likes

And now I’m on the upcoming games list! … but it’ll be a bit of a wait.

40 Likes

I’m so happy for you but I’ve just realized I’ll be out of the country when it finally comes out :sob:

2 Likes