January 2023's Writer Support Thread

A certain portion of UK readers might think first of the football team, or the London exhibition building of the 1850s (which the team were named after!) Worth keeping in mind for visibility in online searches, if that matters to you.

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s what jumped to my mind.

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe this ISNā€™T the first thing that comes to anyoneā€™s mind when hearing Crystal Palace. It had utterly incorrect models of Iguanodon!

5 Likes

I was lurking a little, what in the f**k is this? Just looks like a sized up iguana-Komodo dragon hybrid lol

3 Likes

That are the first dinosaur models ever sculpted, under the direction of Sir Richard Owen, the inventor of the word ā€œdinosaurā€, and they represent the conception of the Iguanodon at the time. For a sense of scale, several people DINED inside one when it was being built:

Of course, NOW we know that Iggy most likely looked something like this:
Ainā€™t she a beaut?

6 Likes

I had no idea this was a thing :joy:! I think Iā€™ll have to make the title a little more specific, so nobody gets confused.
My world is inspired by Versailles era France, so thereā€™s some random French phrases thrown in, including the royal palace ā€œPalais Cristallise.ā€ But I usually include the English name, hence my initial idea (and yes, the palace is made entirely of gold and multicolored crystals)

5 Likes

Using the French names of the Versailles palace(s) would actually work better for me because the history and lore involved with them evoke everything you ask about: royalty, romance, management, and mystery.

5 Likes

If you use Crystal Palace, please be very clear it is not cyberpunk based. Because Crystal palace is one of the biggest cyberpunk lore places ever. To the point it is even named several places for all Cyberpunk 2077.

I mean your game has nothing to do in theme, However, sometimes Steampunk covers can be seen as cyberpunk.

2 Likes

The work-life balance (or lack thereof) is absolutely annihilating me right now, damn. Iā€™m still getting some stuff done, mostly on post-it notes when I have a spare second, but putting any extra effort in through summer is hell. Bring on autumn already. I want to drink tea and write under the trees again.

11 Likes

Today is a very transcendental day for me. I know it will sound stupid to you, but for me, it is very important with my therapist. I have been practising meditation and substituting intrusive bad thoughts and self-deprecation feelings. Today for the first time, I have been capable of suppressing and getting rid of my intrusive thoughts about writing and just writing without feeling awful or anxious. It is just one step, but it is essential for me. Maybe I can finish my game after all

23 Likes

Congratulations on your progress! Iā€™ll be cheering for you from across the internet connection.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s not stupid in the slightest: that sounds like progress! Stick to it for the sake of yourself and your game! Itā€™s easier to get good work done when youā€™re feeling good yourself.

5 Likes

Hell yeah! Congratulations! It may be one step, multiple ā€œone stepsā€ are all it takes to run a marathon!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve stopped proofreading for the moment to focus on my own project. Itā€™s not really writing yet, but itā€™s a step.

7 Likes

With the month nearly over, Iā€™ve had a moment to step back and check on my goals for this month. I would say it is safe to say I missed the mark. Entirely. That sucks, but it is what it is.

So, as of today, I have raised my wordcount by quite a lot. The readable portion that I have is shy of 17k, which Iā€™m happy about. I did have two branching paths in Chapter One at the halfway point, but because of the changes Iā€™m making, Iā€™m going to have to redo those paths.

Currently working on the 3rd Branching Path within Chapter One, and itā€™s going well. Iā€™m enjoying it a lot, but the menu for that thing is a bitā€¦massive. I had to figure out a way to code it where it would make sense and be easy to navigate as I wrote it.

Currently working on one section with three choices inside of it (excluding the choice to leave and come back later). But those four choices have expanded into multiple variations depending on which choice was chosen first. I have dubbed it a ā€œChoice Treeā€ where Level 01 presents the first choices.

Every Level beneath it contains variations of the choices presented in Level 01 but is written to remember the Readerā€™s previous choice and change the text accordingly. So, very little repeating text.

I may be overzealous about having it flow as organically as possible.

Thatā€™s not gonna happen. Iā€™m still figuring out how to code and do it in a way that makes sense. On top of that, Iā€™m rewriting a few areas Iā€™ve coded, so it isnā€™t as clunky as before. Especially since I have areas where the code says: *if (not(variable_here))

Having multiples of that code in one *if statement is a nightmare, but one Iā€™ve started to get a better grip on so it doesnā€™t crash my story every time I run the code because I have one too few or one too many of these things (brackets?) ā†’ )

My Revised Goal:

• Have at least one Branching Path of Chapter One finished, or close to finished, by the end of this month. A public update for February 01 right after.

Best of luck to us all.

6 Likes

Debating whether I should release the first 5 chapters now or finish Chapters 6 and 7 before I release the demo. Iā€™m leaning towards waiting, though Iā€™m of course worried that the extra effort will be wasted if it bombs. That said, as long as Iā€™m enjoying the process Iā€™m good.

5 Likes

Well, whatā€™s your case for NOT releasing the first five chapters?

3 Likes

I donā€™t think it ends on a thrilling enough cliffhanger lol.

5 Likes

Did anyone read the first five chapters yet?

If so, what did they think of the ending?

1 Like

You twisted my arm ā€“ actually the truth is that Chapter 6 is the orc chapter. I want to write about orcs. I want to go in more depth about orc culture. I want lots of orcs, is that what you want to hear?! Orcs! Canā€™t get enough of those orcs! I want to do my orc chapter! I want the orc chapter to be in there! Thereā€™s gotta be the orcs in there before I release it! Whatā€™s the point of it all without the orcs? Gotta have the orcs!

13 Likes