Is there a way to make "something" happen when a stat reaches 0?

Hi everyone! :slight_smile:
I’m writing my very first (hopefully) hosted game based on Monkey Island and Pirates of the Caribbean. :pirate_flag:
I have a question: is there a way to “make something happen” whenever in the story a chosen stat reaches 0?
Or should I check the stat EVERY time I modify it?
My ideal goal is finding a way, so WHENEVER in the story the chosen stat reaches 0, you go to a (bad) ending.

I hope I clearly explained myself, and I sincerely hope there is a way to accomplish what I’d like to do.
Thank you in advance for all your kind advice, your time, and your patience. :love_letter:

I think you’re thinking of *gosub

Oh wait. I’m not sure lol. But here’s a thread:

1 Like

Yes, you have to check the stat every time you modify it. ChoiceScript isn’t an event-driven language, there’s no way to automatically “fire” events like that.

6 Likes

You have to check the code every time you change it but it is possible to limit the actual code required by using the *gosub_scene command.

Quick question does the bad ending change depending on where in the story you are? Or is it the same ending?

1 Like

It can also be an *if statement mix with a goto…like

*if (stat1=0)
*goto_scene ending badending1

Somethink like that

2 Likes
*set variable_1 +1
*gosub_scene check_variables variable_1

(in scene check_variables)

*label variable_1

*if variable_1 >= 1
*some sort of command here
*other stuff if you need it
*even more stuff if you need it

*return

This was basically the entire engine for my “increase the character’s age” subroutine in A Kiss from Death which checked if a character’s age was beyond a certain threshold in which case a scene would trigger to further the plot.

And yeah I had to gosub for each and every age increase in the entire game.

1 Like

Thank you, everybody. :love_letter:
I hoped there was an “easier” way to do that instead of checking every time.
I guess gosub will become my friend from now on.

1 Like

A bit of clever code can make it slightly easier.

For example the weapon choice in unnatural is only written once in a single scene which I used *gosub_scene weapon_choice whenever I want players to pick a gun.

I still have to send the player to the scene each time they have to choose a gun but using *gosub_scene allows me to only have to write out the gun code once but can send players to it every time I want.

3 Likes

Sorry I thought I already answered your previous question @Nocturnal_Stillness
If the stat reaches 0 the ending is the same. Thank you for your time and your advice
:beer: